Thread: Home Bargains

Rocket Queen

Default Home Bargains

Does anybody have one in their town?At the moment the one nearest me is selling silken tofu for about 30pence a pack, and has salsa tubs on offer. They sell a load of other cool stuff too. I don't know about their ethics, though.
    The greatest mistake is to do nothing because you can only do a little.

Default Re: Home Bargains

yes i have one by me

Rocket Queen

Some of their wines and alcohols are vegan too. I spent £54 in there yesterday!!!£54!!! I bought house stuff, foodstuffs, and some lovely kids stickers for my walls and units in my pink bedroom...

No, I've never heard of it but have just looked at their website. Is it like a UK answer to Lidl and Aldi (which we also don't have)?

wow i must live in a good place then i have home bargains, lidl, and aldi, sainsburys, co-op by me

Rocket Queen

It sells some really good stuff really cheap. This does make me question its ethics though.

FWIW I don't think discount stores actually have to be less ethical than most other supermarkets - they could be making money by selling things in high volume at low margins with "no frills". I seem to remember reading that one of the German ones didn't treat its staff that well but I don't think that's necessarily the case.

I looked at the map on their site and Home Bargains don't seem to have made it to the South East so maybe they don't operate where rents etc are very high, which might be another smart move.

Man, they're all in the midlands & north, none in the south

Keane

Quote harpy View Post
    No, I've never heard of it but have just looked at their website. Is it like a UK answer to Lidl and Aldi (which we also don't have)?
    Coventry, proletarian place that it is, has all three as well as a 99p stores and two Poundlands, which Home Bargains is more similar to than Lidl and Aldi, in that it is not a supermarket. I have never seen tofu on sale in Home Bargains. They used to do Mornflake muesli, which is vegan, at £1.29 for a 1 kg bag, though it was discontinued a few months ago. As for the ethics, I'd be surprised if anyone working there is getting paid more than the minimum wage.

Suffice to say we don't have a Waitrose in Coventry (though there is one in Kenilworth) never mind a Budgen's. I'm sure that there are places in the South East, Luton for example, where Home Bargains would do pretty well. I think that the old Woolies in Henley-on-Thames might even be a Poundland now. In these recessionary times it is acceptable for the middle-classes to slum it with the plebs!

Quote Keane View Post
    In these recessionary times it is acceptable for the middle-classes to slum it with the plebs!
    I know what you mean - I've read articles about lawyers etc shopping in Lidl etc, and the place that delivered our veg box has just gone out of business though one of the people that worked there is making valiant attempts to get it going again.

I can understand it if people are really hard up but I think it's a pity if well-heeled people are using the recession as an excuse to drop their ethical standards. Simply consuming less would be a better answer for most of us, she says, not suiting the action to the word!

Keane

I'm not sure that people are necessarily dropping their ethical standards, they are just shopping at retailers that are working on lower margins. M&S markets itself as 'British' but its goods are no more British and no more ethically sourced than those at Primark or Poundland, the latter of which even the Torygraph recently published a shopping guide to.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...-revealed.html

I know from work colleagues who shop there, that the Poundland in Stratford-upon-Avon (in the old Woolies) is usually heaving. All the tourists who hang around Stratford must have the same things where they come from: Dollarland, Yenland, Euroland ...

Yes, but I mean if consumers thought they ought to buy organic or fairtrade or local before the "downturn", the reasons for that haven't really gone away, though I accept that some people's circs have changed.

I think that some supermarkets do make a bit more effort in the ethics direction than others and at least the Co-op and Waitrose are sort of co-ops (see paean to Waitrose here http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...-shop-waitrose) though I'm sure a lot of the difference is probably spin.

friendly fri

Home bargains in Leeds sell those chef kuo vegan noodles rather cheap..real wicked.Brilliant.
    :D :)

Rocket Queen

Are they good or bad health wise Friend?x

friendly fri

Overall they are a rather low cost supermarket, with a lot of junk but some nice vegan scran thrown in.
    :D :)

Home Bargains have vegan Oreos - they are the UK ones but say "original" on the pack and don't have milk as an ingredient (just a potential trace)

Quote Firestorm View Post
    Home Bargains have vegan Oreos - they are the UK ones but say "original" on the pack and don't have milk as an ingredient (just a potential trace)
    Have they changed the European recipe?
    Houmous atá ann!

They have been trying to make them without Whey for a while and it seems that they have!

That website also says that they are not suitable for vegetarians - but doesn't say why! Whiskey tango foxtrot?
    "Eventually, I realised that the reason I was so angry was because I want people in the world to be well." - Ian MacKaye

The pack I got does say vegetarian on so I think the website is out of date

Must be, thanks. I'll level with you - I mainly posted that so that I could write 'whiskey tango foxtrot'.
    "Eventually, I realised that the reason I was so angry was because I want people in the world to be well." - Ian MacKaye

Just found the vegan ones in Sainsbury's . Be careful as some pre2013 ones knocking about still.

Quote Firestorm View Post
    They have been trying to make them without Whey for a while and it seems that they have!
    I know this isn't Home Bargains-related but thanks for letting me know about the oreos, I've found the new recipe ones here in Spain too! Oreos are nice, I'm not going to argue with a vegan chocolate-cream biscuit, but I prefer bourbon creams. I can't get them here so oreos will do
    Houmous atá ann!

Oh dear, I bought some of these new recipe Oreos today and I think I may gain weight rapidly. They're yummy!!
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty

I've just seen in Asda that the chocolate ones and the double stuff are now Vegan as well!

Quote Blueberries View Post
    I prefer bourbon creams. I can't get them here so oreos will do
    Doh! Should have said pre swap

Thanks Firestorm, I will very much be coming back from my weekly shopping spree today - armed with various packets of Oreos...

ON GUARD!!
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

Quote Gwydion View Post

Doh! Should have said pre swap
    Haha, trust me I was more than happy with all the wonderful biccies you sent!
    Houmous atá ann!

Home Bargains currently have Frank Strawberry and Oat bars, £0.10 each. Best before end of October