Thread: Vegan Devon

Default Vegan Devon

Going on holiday to Teignmouth at the end of this month and was wondering if anyone could suggest any places to eat/shop and any activities to try out in the area.

Not going to have a car which is starting to look like a mistake in Devon so have to be able to reach the places by public transport.

My findings so far;

The Plant Cafe-Deli, Exeter
    Herbies, Exeter
    Fat Lemons Cafe, Totnes

Default Re: Vegan Devon

Herbies is good (have eaten there in the past week). They sell the best vegan brownie ever tasted.

You can give Plant a miss, I think all I've ever bought from there has been a coffee.

The Arts Cafe in Seaton is very good, but you stand little chance of getting there without a car (there's a bus from Exeter, but it takes a while).
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Oh Herbies How I miss you
    The brownie is superb - crispy on top but sticky underneath. Oh bum, I feel all depressed now
    Women are like teabags. We don't know our true strength until we are in hot water!

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    Herbies is good (have eaten there in the past week). They sell the best vegan brownie ever tasted.

You can give Plant a miss, I think all I've ever bought from there has been a coffee.
    The brownies from Herbies are fab

Popped into Plant and it seemed very cramped and wasn't anything that struck my eye but then we were completely stuffed after eating at Herbies.

In Teignmouth there's actually 3 health food shops despite Happycow not listing any, all within the centre (Nutters, Pappadums and a H&B) nowhere to eat that we found though (not even a wetherspoons).

Herbies is a fave of mine if I ever get to Devon - love the brownies

I loved the Arts cafe in Seaton - we stayed in Lyme Regis so went twice such a massive vegan menu - I was totally spolit for choice there but yes without a car its hard to get there.

Ive had vegan quiche or a tartlet from Plant once and a very nice choc cake once.

Just booked a holiday cottage in Seaton with my parents next month, can see Il be a regular at the Terrace Arts Cafe:smile: can get the bus to Exeter takes about an hour so will arrange to meet a friend for dinner there. Main supermarket in Seaton is Co Op so that is good. Seem to recall a health store too.

Looking forward to our hols - if anyone knows of any new vegan friendly places in the area do let me know - parenat will have car so can get to places as they like veggie/vegan cafes too

I'll most likely be in Lyme next month for a week - dates unconfirmed. Don't know of any places not mentioned already.

There is a fresh rustic pizza kitchen type place in Lyme - not very vegan as such but he will do pizza without cheese and it's a nice atmosphere there just to sit with a coffee over the papers. Everyone tends to sit along long wooden tables. Pizzas are 5-8pm usually sell out.

Thinking about it the Thai restaurant on the seafront that is also a hotel does have vegan options on the menu - I recall their beancurd dishes were very good and spicy, will see if I can dig out the websites. Teh chip stall on the beach also did vegan chips and goodlife spicy beanburgers!

Best food we found was Herbies in Exeter and the Terrace Arts Cafe in Seaton - they had another main vegan menu that was not on the website.

Here is the bakery details (you might allready know of it) http://www.townmillbakery.com/index.php they do do some organic vegan breads but you have to ask which ones are ok on the day and remind them vegans dont eat honey as they seeemd to forget daily.

Looks like the Thai restaurant has closed - it was in the Bay Hotel - looks like a meat/fish type place now but does say ask if you have special dietary requests. There was another hotel The Alexandra who were doing a veggie and vegan menu very expensive place we never tried - they sent me a vegan menu when I emailed them.

Thanks for the links.

I lived in Lyme whilst vegan many years ago, so know the places you mention.

My folks know the owner of the mill - they sell excellent but pricey bread. I'd be a little too scared to eat at the Bay Hotel thou

The Arts Cafe is excellent in every way, except the wait. I've been a few times. The owner is a great cook, but has a menu that's far too complex and not suited for a restaurant in terms of prep time.

Yes I've never seen such a huge menu before! I tend to take a book and sit and chill whilst foods cooked! Very nice place with friendly staff. We use to treat ourselves to bread daily so nice but yes expensive, love the atmosphere there.
    I won't go to the Bay now it's not Thai food. I know il be visiting the Arts cafe several times as it's so close to us _ just about 10 mins walk. I'm looking forward to visiting good old Herbie's too!
    I love Lyme but it was too hilly for my parents so going for Seaton this time