Thread: Dairy industry inducing premature birth in NZ

Angry Dairy industry inducing premature birth in NZ

I'm sorry if everyone knows about this already but I didn't, and it shocked me a lot, so I thought I would post it anyway!
    This is about dairy farmers in New Zealand inducing premature birth as a "valuable management tool" which includes killing live calves with a shotgun (although apparently most of the calves don't survive). If you can watch the video, the reporter states that the farmers are faced with an "ethical dilemma" on whether to allow the calves to birth naturally or induce labour so that all the cows start producing milk together. I honestly don't see how this can be considered an ethical dilemma so if anyone is able to shed some light on that, I'd appreciate it!

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/call...banned-3680389

Default Re: Dairy industry inducing premature birth in NZ

I really couldn't watch that, the very thought of it is horrific. How could anyone think this is an 'ok' thing to do? There is NOTHING ethical about abusing animals full stop. I feel powerless to stop what goes on in the world and it depresses me that humans treat other living beings in such a callous manner, and that they don't think they are doing anything wrong.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

I agree with you, some days it really gets me down. The comments under the video were basically along the lines of "yeah, we know this happens and have known for a while, so what?", which to me is worse than ignorance. They know, and yet they seem to think it's ok. How can people be so uncaring?!
    To be honest, I was surprised that it made the news! In no way I am saying this isn't horrific, but many other equally horrific things go on in the dairy industry as standard practice, and that never makes the news...

Sorry if this depressed you Sandra!

No need to be sorry Bearshark. The animals and what they have to endure are far more important than me feeling upset. I think people should see exactly what goes on in the dairy industry, too many close their eyes to the horrors.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

I am too squeamish to watch but it sounds as if the "ethical dilemma" is just about whether to consider ethics in the slightest, or be purely profit-driven

i didnt want to watch, sounds too much, but thanks for informing us.... it's really important. For me, the issue of the dairy industry is actually the most important because of the people i know around me: most are vegetarian, s c consious of the bad meat industry, animals suffering, and so on... BUT THEY STILL EAT LOADS OF CHEESE, CREAM, YOGHURT, ICE-CREAM, BUTTER.... I mean, dairy is one of the most hidden ingredient in the food industry (i beleive). And these, the vegetarians, are active in causes against oppression on people, animals etc, want to devellop their ethical side, but still are completly BLIND concerning dairy. Same in India. (still a lot of vegetarians there, but dairy absolutely everywhere, execpt in the south, where my favorite the COCONUT, replaces it in many dishes ) This actually scares me, when trying to talk to a vegetarian about the issue of milk... some will make you feel like you are really a fanatic, an alien or someone "whose voice" doesnt really count, a weirdo)
    THANKS FOR POSTING! If there is any kind of info concerning dairy, i am really interested!

In some ways this is good news.

That being in as much as it does not particularly increase the total suffering of the herds (as far as I can see) but massively increases the 'revolt' factor of the industry.

I'm just kinda thinking that the more obviously revolting the industry becomes then the more people may finaly say "enough" and want to have no more to do with it's products.
    All done in the best possible taste ...

I wish that was true C S, that the revolt factor would influence people; alas, habit wins out more often than not.

Right now I am coming up against dogma in trying to inform nice mothers in my circle about dairy: ayurveda says that dairy is essential and likewise krishna consciousness. *sigh*
    Their perspective is that they can't quit breathing air -so to speak- until a better industry evolves.
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

Quote pat sommer View Post
    I wish that was true C S, that the revolt factor would influence people; alas, habit wins out more often than not.

Right now I am coming up against dogma in trying to inform nice mothers in my circle about dairy: ayurveda says that dairy is essential and likewise krishna consciousness. *sigh*
    Their perspective is that they can't quit breathing air -so to speak- until a better industry evolves.
    Hmmmm ...

The little I know about ayurveda leads me to suspect thats it's strong recomendations for milk are based on the milk being pure.

The little I know about Hare Krishna leaves me pretty sure that how the cows are treated is of paramount importance to them. (I think they believe that if a cow has suffered 'bad karma' that bad karma would be passed on it's milk)

I'm wondering if the line of argument that their milk is being turned from food into 'poison' would be taken more seriously by those steeped in ayurdic and krishna beleifs?
    All done in the best possible taste ...

if I can keep a straight face while talking their language, I may give it a try. I am just not superstitious and very much in the minority over here.
    had another mom tell me that she doesn't eat much meat -but she needs it for her blood type! I chuckled out loud, unfortunately, at that thoroughly debunked notion.
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

I read about this in an animal aid newsletter- it's pretty horrific. I can't find a link to anything about it on their website but remember that the article said this practice has been going on for the past 40 years. They said they gave the cow an injection to miscarry around 4 weeks early so they could get 4 weeks worth of extra milk. I couldn't bring myself to watch the report either so am sorry if this repeats any of your info.

Here is an idea, can we not get these gun wielding religious nuts (heard of in the deep south) to start taking out farmers and other abusers of animals as they are clearly 'playing god' and should be 'dealt with'