Thread: Poisoning rhino horns to combat poachers

Stuart

Default Poisoning rhino horns to combat poachers

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010...--poaching.php

Opinions, and any other illuminating links please!

My visceral reaction is "yes, do it." I'd rather rhino horns weren't anoited with poison of course, but if the creatures come to no harm and the practice goes some way into killing the trade...

I may later learn something I don't want to that makes me change my mind perhaps...

Default Re: Poisoning rhino horns to combat poachers

The story has appeared in a few places but I'm not sure there's much extra information http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Wor..._150_This_Year

Yes it seems quite a good idea in a way, if it doesn't harm the rhinos. In fact presumably it's sufficient to say you're going to do it, or maybe just poison one or two?

As long as there's no negative effect on the Rhinos then I think it's a great idea...I like the comment that says they should do it to whale meat and sharks fins too (I know it wouldn't really work in flesh).

We need more Sea Shepheards!

Stuart

^^Yeah, i've not found anything that says anything different to what you've dug up Harpy, this has been the problem: I don't know if there's a dearth of relevant sources, or i'm rubbish at turning up stuff. I'd be interested as to how things unfold all the same...

And yes, I agree the threat is enough of a deterent itself that it probably isn't even worthwhile poisoning more than just a handful of rhino horns. I really hope this guy acts against any legal advice warning of his own potential prosecution, and just goes ahead, all tests gone well.

It might be better to use something that wasn't actually dangerous but would still act as a deterrent. An anaphrodisiac, perhaps?

If it did turn out to be illegal then we're not supposed to advocate it on here so I will shut up.

I don't think it will have any effect. In the same way that drug users (not necessarily addicts) take a calculated risk that *their* drugs haven't been cut with anything dodgy, I imagine that many 'rhino horn users' will overlook the possibility of a problem.

If we believe the stories that the poachers are very well funded, they have every reason to work around this development - either by ignoring it if they don't care, or by testing small batches if they do.

If the poachers are very poor and desperate, as other sources have said in the past, then they will continue to poach because they don't see a choice.

That's true about desperation, although I imagine it could erode the market for the horns as the end-customers may not want to take the risk even if the poachers and intermediaries do.

I've read that some anti-poaching initiatives have succeeded where the poachers have been given a stake in the welfare of the animals, e.g. because they are allowed to benefit in some way from the tourism that the animals generate. I suppose that's sometimes easier said than done though.

What if the rhinos are playing and accidentally pokes another rhino? Will the rhino get infected with the poison that way?

(Also, I had no idea their horns were made from hair, I just assumed it was bone)
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Quote Johnstuff View Post
    As long as there's no negative effect on the Rhinos then I think it's a great idea...I like the comment that says they should do it to whale meat and sharks fins too (I know it wouldn't really work in flesh).

We need more Sea Shepheards!
    Why stop at just poisoning wthe meat of sharks and fins =p?
    Czujesz się wolny i robisz co chcesz. Jesteś piratem!