Thread: Vegan Quiche (mamma cucina, available at H&B)

Default Vegan Quiche (mamma cucina, available at H&B)

Just a quick heads up.
    My local H&B is selling Mamma Cucina frozen vegetable quiche (2 in a box). I've not tried them yet, but they look quite similar to the cheesecakes!

Default Re: Vegan Quiche (mamma cucina, available at H&B)

lol, they probably are the cheesecakes

Good to know though, will certainly give it a go next time I'm near one.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

I will too, I quite liked the cheesecake when I tried it. Thanks bignige.

Zero

I bought these today so I will try one tonight and report back, anyone else tried them yet?

No, our branch doesn't seem to have them yet. Please report back Zero or someone!

I managed to foist one of the strawberry cheesecakes on an omnivorous friend last night and it went down quite well. I stuck a load of fresh strawberries on top which improved it I think. I find that the cakes, unadorned, have a slightly chemical "fruit" flavour which is presumably nothing to do with the fact that they're vegan...whoops, back to quiche!

Zero

I think they are comparable to a dairy based frozen cheesecake, lets face it a frozen one is never going to be anywhere near restaurant grade, we will have to see whether these savory quiches fair any better.

I had one a couple of days ago. Cooked it for 35 mins, they aint too bad! Very quiche like, although the consistency could be a little firmer. Maybe if I'd let it cool down first?!

A word of warning. If possible try and loosen the quiche from the tinfoil tray before baking, otherwise you'll obliterate it trying to remove after!

That's true Zero although I seem to remember that the conventional ones usually had a fruit topping layered over the cheese stuff, rather than fruit flavour mixed with the cheese? I have had non-dairy ones like that in restaurants come to think of it but maybe it's harder to pack or something.

Good news bignige and thanks for the warning. Will keep eyes peeled.

Well this is exciting! I really wanted quiche the other day in fact - I'll defo keep my eyes peeled =] thanks for the tip!

Zero

They aren't too bad at all, and they really are the cheesecake in savory mode! lol

When I cooked mine I found that loosening the tin foil from the edges as bignige suggests works however the outside browns well before the inside gets totally heated through, so I'd recomend covering them with some tin foil for the first half of the cooking time.

I also melted some mozzerella cheezly on the top, a definite must have in my opinion.

They sound great - I miss quiche must try and make one sometime.

Zero did you get them in the Brum H&B store? I'l look out for them when next in Brum.

leedsveg

Quote bignige View Post
    I had one a couple of days ago. Cooked it for 35 mins, they aint too bad! Very quiche like, although the consistency could be a little firmer. Maybe if I'd let it cool down first?!

A word of warning. If possible try and loosen the quiche from the tinfoil tray before baking, otherwise you'll obliterate it trying to remove after!
    Bought and tried them today and I echo what bignige said. I cooked ours (one each for Mrs lv and me) for only 30 mins, although the instructions said "30 to 40 mins", because even by then, they'd got quite brown on top. After cooking, I ran a knife round the edge to get them out of the foil, but it's obviously best to loosen them pre-cooking. The top and bottom of each were 'crusty' but the insides could have been firmer. Didn't spoil it too much because the overall taste was good and fairly "quiche like". Perhaps if we'd let them cool, the insides would have firmed up, but they smelled so good, there was no chance of that! My marks out of 10 are as follows:

Value (£2.69) 7
    Taste 9
    Texture 6

Overall 7+

I'd definitely buy them again.

leedsveg

Zero

Quote alisont View Post
    Zero did you get them in the Brum H&B store? I'l look out for them when next in Brum.
    Yeah, I've seen them in all 3 Birmingham city centre stores.

I finally found these in the local H&B. I ended up eating both of them for reasons I won't go into, and I thought the one I ate cold the next day was actually better - the hot one seemed slightly gluey, though not unpleasant. I would probably buy them again for "emergency" use though homemade quiche is probably nicer.

I followed the tip here and liberated them from their foil cases before cooking, which worked fine.

I tried them a couple of months ago, I found them here in Barcalona. I quite liked them, I had to cook them in the microwave because I don't have an oven but apart from that they were grand. Not a huge pastry fan in general but the tofu bit was quite nice. I think I blogged about then when I tried them.
    Houmous atá ann!

I tried these last week, the first one I had with some root veg mash and it was nice, I decided I wanted the other and for some reason it wasn't as nice on it's own. Think I would rather make my own. Feel the same way about the cheese cake but I preferred that and will add some fresh fruit as mentioned above If I purchase that again.

I usually detest these, but buy them every now and again in hope they have improved.

I finally found a way to make them that tastes good - cook first, then cool overnight in the fridge. They come out of the tin easily when cooled as well

I love them but I always take them out of the tin before cooking as I don't find they properly firm up otherwise.

Had these things a few weeks ago and thought they tasted like cold vomit. The only possible use I could see for them is for throwing at particularly objectionable people.
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...