Thread: Rspca :-(

Default Rspca :-(

I'm just posting this for your information. This really upsets me and I don't know what to say ...
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-built-on.html

Default Re: Rspca :-(

Nothing surprises me any more regarding the RSPCA, and its "Freedom Food" scheme is a farce.

I stopped supporting the RSPCA a long time ago, back in the 1990s I believe, when it issued an anniversary publication which included L'Oreal as one of the sponsors/contributors, at a time when that company was at the forefront of animal testing, and still is to the best of my knowledge.

Such hypocrisy could not be condoned as far as I was concerned, and it was a shame, because the RSPCA had, and still has, some good and committed staff at grass roots level. However, since then I have chosen to support smaller, independent animal charities and sanctuaries, which are not controlled by people who "turn a blind eye" whenever it is politic and convenient to do so.

What a shame, Milady. I think the RSPCA are useful for some things but I wouldn't choose them for anything related to wildlife, based on things I've been told.

There was someone who worked for them on here at one point - pity they're not around to comment, or maybe they are!

OK, so it's not their first time as I can read in people's comments ... :-((((

The RSPCA always seemed to me like a group of meat eaters who just care about companion and other 'useful' animals, this doesn't surprise me at all - why would they care about the animals in that habitat if they don't even care about the animals on their plate?

I was discussing this with my other half who pointed out that charities probably have some kind of statutory obligation to get the most out of their assets - so possibly the fact that the will wasn't written properly left the RSPCA with no alternative but to sell the land. If that's the explanation I must say they haven't done a very good job of explaining it :/

I haven't got that much time for the RSPCA generally but do think as Harpy says it isn't always easy for charities when they are left legacies like this. Why would you leave land to an animal welfare charity to be kept as a nature reserve. Why didn't he leave it to a conservation or wildlife charity. The RSPCA have to get the most money they can to do their work. A nature reserve on such a small piece of land would be very difficult and would cost money to manage. I think really it shows that if you are leaving a legacy you need to discuss it with the charity when you are setting it up.

I worked at a charity that was often left land as legacies and they have sold some of it. I wasn't very happy about it but they have put in clauses about what the land can be used for. I think sometimes people naively think that if they ask for it to be a sanctuary then that's what the charity will use it for but that's just not the case. Hopefully other people will learn from this.

Yes, a local wildlife trust would probably have been a better option - or even the Woodland Trust. But as you say, much better to discuss it with the charity concerned beforehand.
    Last edited by harpy; May 3rd, 2012 at 11:02 AM.

I have no time for the RSPCA - I've said this before and will say it again.

Everyone who works for the RSPCA is paid - they monopolise charity money leaving smaller animal rescues in increasing financial difficulty. More animal rescues close down each year than start up. It's financially very difficult to have a no-kill policy and that's what smaller rescues have - because they do it purely out of a love for animals.

Most smaller rescues run things out of their home and is a full time on top of most people having full time jobs.

The RSPCA WILL NOT go out to an abused or stray animal - if you don't believe me call them and see for yourself. They call me when a ferret is handed over in Leeds and provide us with no financial help. So every time they get a ferret handed in that's £80 out of our pocket - they don't even vaccinate before handing over or ever show them to a vet.
    We are not the only ones and they do this to lots of smaller rescues around the country and it's crippling because we don't have the same media attention and re-homing outlet that they do.

I doubt their chief executives even have a pet. When I did work experience there most of the employees had pedigree pets from breeders rather than rescue animals. They all see hundreds - thousands of animals put down each year for no reason other than being a less desirable breed yet are happy to support the breeding industry.

It's the people who donate who think they are helping animals which I feel for - most don't even know small rescues exist. If they had more volunteers and less expensive buildings that's more animal lives said and more education on Animal Welfare.

And rant over.

I have a friend who used to work for the RSPCA she's a vegan and has three dogs that she adopted, all difficult to home cases. She doesn't have a good word to say about the RSPCA to be honest but she's a good person and she worked for them. So I think they do have some good people working for them who care for animals.

They do have volunteers as well - I know one of the hedgehog rescuers volunteers with them (so that particular branch is OK for hedgehogs, at least). But I'm not a great enthusiast for the organisation as a whole.

OK maybe my sheer anger at them leads me to forget that each branch is independently run and there is probably massive variation between centres and I have only dealt with two of them. The branch here sends all their hedgehogs to an independent rescue but it's good to know they do help elsewhere.

I imagine there are people coming through who do want to help animals, but I from what I've seen good people don't make up the majority.

I reckon this hedgehog lady probably takes any hogs that get brought in home with her actually, but when I told her I had heard it wasn't a good idea to take wildlife to the RSPCA she explained to me that it was OK to take them to this particular branch because she volunteers there and has them bang to rights I would probably give any hedgehog casualties straight to her though, to be on the safe side.

I think the free clinics they do for people who can't afford vets are quite good too. I had to take my ex-neighbours' dog to it once and they were very kind although we had to wait hours (we kept going walkies as I was worried about the dog eating the other patients :/ )

I remember emailing them years ago to find out if their rescue centres are no-kill (they aren't). Also, Googling should bring it up, but a few years ago it came to light that in their inductions RSPCA inspectors have to euthanise perfectly healthy animals as training for potentially having to euthanise ill ones on the job! They haven't had a penny from me in years