Thread: Going raw properly

Default Going raw properly

Me and Corum are both going 100% raw, I failed last time - didn't do it properly and wasn't sure what to eat. This time we're doing it under the supervision of a raw food nutritionist to make sure we do it right and so we know how to eat properly long term. We may cheat and have the odd glass of wine but I think it's ok to have a drink occasionally.
    Apparently there are two raw food restaurants now in Brighton near where we live so we're going to try them out.
    Our first visit to the nutritionist is this Sunday.
    Silent but deadly :p

JC

Default Re: Going raw properly

Good luck! I'm a yo-yo raw dieter. I go all guns blazing, then a bit later i'll get sick of juices, smoothies and nakd bars, and give up. Having a raw nutritionist is a really good idea. Let us know how it goes!

ive been raw for a while, and i must say the best 'version' by far is 80/10/10 by Dr doug graham. id fully recommend reading the book.

for those who dont know...basically you get most of your calories from fruit. your food for the day/week/month or year should be min 80% carbs, max 10% protein and max 10% from fat.
    'he who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

Quote Hemlock View Post
    Our first visit to the nutritionist is this Sunday.
    how did you get on??

What exactly do you eat in a raw diet? If you were to make a raw vegan meal that had all the essential nutrients in it, what would you make? I'm just curious

... lots of fresh, ripe, unprocessed fruit, a bunch of leafy greens and the occasional B12 tablet ;-)

Best regards,
    Andy

PS: I second Cherry.chops suggestion of Dr doug graham's 80/10/10 book, although I do not live by it (no bread at all is already hard for me, no condiments, spices, etc. also takes the fun out of my salads, so I try to follow the nutrient breakup, but not all the suggestions)

Yeah, I don't think I'd be able to give up bread. I already eat alot of fruits, but they just don't seem to fill me up

10% of your calories from fat sounds almost impossible to me, doesn't that basically exclude nuts from your diet? I don't understand why you'd want to do that?
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Almonds are probably one of the healthiest things I eat. They're raw, but they're high in fat and calories. I'm doing good so far today though. I've had a bunch of fruit and nuts, making myself a big salad for dinner in a few hours. The only thing I've had that might not be considered raw is some tea

I got through the whole day yesterday with nothing but raw foods I'm thinking I could do a bagel or oatmeal every morning, then eat raw for the rest of the day. I like the vegan margarine I've got aswell because a tsp. has 40% of my daily Vitamin D intake

gah, how do you delete posts? I don't want to post that after all...
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Quote twinkle View Post
    gah, how do you delete posts? I don't want to post that after all...
    Don't think you can, just the text that's in it. Why? Was it an insult?

nah I was just being a worry-wort

Quote Back-Space View Post
    Yeah, I don't think I'd be able to give up bread.
    I have wanted to become a raw vegan for a while, I have read about all the healthier benefits of eating a completely raw diet. But, I really don't know how I can live without bread!! I love bread, I am a carb junkie!!

Quote Sgable84 View Post
    I have wanted to become a raw vegan for a while, I have read about all the healthier benefits of eating a completely raw diet. But, I really don't know how I can live without bread!! I love bread, I am a carb junkie!!
    Lol, bread is awesome I can go a day or two without it, but i enjoy it too much to give it up.

JC

Are there are raw-fooders who can give me some advice? I've been trying to majorly up my raw food uptake, and i'm getting better at getting in some variety (which was my downfall on the last attempt), but i've come across a few major obstacles. 1. my stomach doesn't appreciate fruit for breakfast. i'm alright later on in the day, but it feels like 'stomach burn' if i eat it too early, and i don't want to rely too heavily on grains. 2. i really enjoy huge salads for lunch and dinner, but i'm hungry again literally an hour later. i find myself binging on cereal or something before bedtime because i'm still hungry, which clearly, isn't good by anyone's standards! 3. a lot of raw-food recipes contain lots of nuts. i checked the nutrional info on a packet of walnuts the other day, and jesus mary and joseph, how many calories?!?! no wonder i wasn't losing weight on it! but without nuts, where is the substance?

Hi JC,
    Fruit in the morning isn't a "must" - what does your body "ask" you for? I would really recommend getting a cookbook - I really like Jennifer Cornbleet's "Raw Food Made Easy" because the recipes are very simple and don't use exotic ingredients.
    She has a great recipe for "porridge" using oat groats; another recipe I also like is a "quasi yogurt" made using frozen banana, tahini and freshly squeezed orange juice.
    Remember too that not everyone does well on 100% raw (Kate Wood says that not everyone finds it practical or desirable to do so) - you may prefer a cooked or cereal-based breakfast followed by a raw lunch and dinner?
    Also what do you put in your salads? Have you considered sprouts? Or soups? I love sprouted lentils, especially the black beluga lentils.

Good luck and keep us posted

JC - If you don't want grains or fruit for breakfast, I suggest soaked almonds (they're my food-of-the-moment! ) - I soaked 50g last night in a jar and this morning had about half of them - the packet says they're 570 calories per 100 grams so 25g isn't going to break the diet bank, and they were a tasty start to the day.

Re "substance" I second the sprouted pulses suggestion, I love sprouted puy lentils, and chick peas are quite substantial.

JC

Thanks Fiamma. In actual fact, my body does ask for fruit in the morning - it's only my stomach which doesn't agree! I have been eating normal porridge for the time being, but it doesn't make me feel good. Ever since i read that cooked food is dead food, it just doesn't seem to do it for me anymore. You are what you eat, after all. Someone today suggested i go for smoothies made from less acidic fruits, which are more tolerable to me (especially banana for some reason). It seems like a great idea, because i'd be able to get in lots of superfoods too! The only issue i have is that, psychologically, i struggle to be satisfied with a drink in place of a meal. But then again, i could just have a really think smoothie and eat it with a spoon..? Sprouts are fantastic, aren't they? Sunflower sprouts are my favourite, yum! Are you a raw-fooder, Fiamma?

I am incorporating raw foods into my diet, and hopefully will make it most of my diet one day. It's sounds so amazing for my body. I've just recently bought the cookbook ani's raw food kitchen and the recipes look amazing, and pretty easy actually. Usually cookbooks like that have such obscure ingredients that cost a fortune, but thankfully Ani keeps it real.

JC

So i'm thinking of doing a semi-raw detox this week. I've got a whole week to myself, no one else in the house, no work - seems like the perfect opportunity! This is my plan:

On waking: warm water/lemon juice and psyllium/bentonite mix.
    Breathing excercises
    Power walk around the block
    Body brush then shower or bath
    Breakfast: (still tricky because of fruit acid/stomach issues) My thoughts were either: fruit salad mixed with porridge (i figured this might balance out fruit acids) or smoothie with a handful of soaked almonds
    Snacks mid-morning and afternoon: fresh fruit or fresh vegetable juice or miso soup or g/f nakd bar
    Lunch and dinner: Raw salad - kale, rocket, avocado, sprouts, grated carrot, marinated mushrooms, liquid aminos, flaked almonds - and whatever else sounds good
    8pm - gym session/swimming
    10pm - nightime tea and hypnotherapy/relaxation CD before going to sleep

I've got some coconut oil, cacao powder and lucuma power so i'm also planning to make some raw chocolates from ani p's dessert book. Yum!

(I'm not really expecting anyone to comment - i just wanted to see how my plan looked written down!)

Mousee!!

make your own raw breads.