Thread: Spicing up your food-favourite seasonings/sauces/marinades

Default Spicing up your food-favourite seasonings/sauces/marinades

Hi,

I'm a new vegan (since march) and I've found that I'm struggling to make my food more varied and tastey. I'm only cooking for me so if I buy something like a broccoli it tends to be what I have for several meals and can get a bit repetitive. I find that I'm using more salt, vegan sugar, and frying than I used to in an attempt to make things taste more interesting which I know is not healthy. I'm not a good cook so I'd be really grateful for any suggestions of recipe books or favourite recipes for vegan sauces, marinades, seasonings, etc, that people use to add more flavour to their meals.

Thanks

Default Re: Spicing up your food-favourite seasonings/sauces/marinades

I don't know if this will be of any help to you but my favourite all time seasoning has to be sweet chilli sauce, in particular the Blue Dragon brand which you can find in almost every supermarket. It's so versatile and at the same time adds so much flavour. I have it on salads as a dressing, marinate tofu with it, use it in stir fries, as a dip for freshly made spring rolls or crudites and dribble it over veggies and rice noodles. It's bloody marvelous stuff!

Without sounding too patronizing, asian recipes are generally easy to do and very tasty because of its use of various spices. Just the other day I made just mung sprouts and my daughter who is a bit finicky or choosy found it very tasty. The spices made all the difference. I can imagine just brocolli having different taste strains with use of spices. The spices I have in mind are coriander powder or the leaves, cumin, turmeric, chili flakes/paste etc and herbs such as celery, parsley, italian herbs (basil, rosemary, sage) etc. There are a whole shelf of them in the shops. There are many others. You just need a bit of looking at cookbooks to give you ideas on what spices match what vegetables and other ingredients and types of cooking. Of course you might be happy at times and be disappointed at times with the results but that is part of the teething problems of new vegans. Even I who have been cooking for decades sometimes get disappointed with some of my cooking experiments. But I guess that's part of life in generally.
    Respect for all living entities

Satay sauce is easy to make, peanut butter, chilli, tamari & water and you'll find lots of recipes online. Hot sauce is great for some spice and lots of the brands are vegan (I like tapatio). Try some vegan oyster sauce, green chilli sauce (japapenos & coriander) or a herby bbq or tomato sauce.
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

Quote Thyme View Post
    Hi, I agree that when trying new recipes I always look to ways to improving the taste/flavour. There is a brand of spices called Aromatics which is sold on www.australianinnovation.com.au that are just the best. They have quite a few varieties. I have spoken to the lady who makes them and she said she only uses the best and freshest spices and doesn't use any fillers whatsoever. Last night I rolled my tofu in the Aromatic Salt variety and it just took my meal to a whole new level. Hope this helps and that I've contributed to your search for good spices.

I'm a new vegan (since march) and I've found that I'm struggling to make my food more varied and tastey. I'm only cooking for me so if I buy something like a broccoli it tends to be what I have for several meals and can get a bit repetitive. I find that I'm using more salt, vegan sugar, and frying than I used to in an attempt to make things taste more interesting which I know is not healthy. I'm not a good cook so I'd be really grateful for any suggestions of recipe books or favourite recipes for vegan sauces, marinades, seasonings, etc, that people use to add more flavour to their meals.

Thanks

Tamari-

Today I had a macrobiotic lunch, and one of the dishes was tamari braised tofu, I really liked it a lot,super yummy, and not overpowering.

Hi,

Thanks for your replies they were really helpful. The recipe for satay sauce looks great, I'll try that. I guess I could also buy more ready made sauces, I just find they are so expensive compared to the cost of the actual ingredients.

I do have a cupboard full of herbs and spices, I grow my own herbs too, and I've got lots of asian spices and things like miso, mirin and sesame oil as we've got a great asian supermarket. I just seem to struggle with combining them to make different and nice sauces and marinades if I haven't got a recipe to follow.

Anyone recommend a recipe book that has these kinds of recipes in?