Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tricks to stay vegan?

Default Tricks to stay vegan?

What are some "tricks" or advice you have used to stay vegan when you felt like slipping?

My piece of advice is get enough protein so you don't slip.

I just realized soy milk has a lot of protein, and it is fast to drink.

It has 7 grams of protein per cup and cow's milk has 8 grams per cup.

7 grams of protein is 14% of your daily nutritional needs

So, one 32 ounce bottle of soymilk can give you almost 60% (56%) of your daily protein needs.

add one can of beans or one or 2 soyburgers and you're satisfied.

what are some of your "tricks to the trade"?

I'll try to add more advice later.

Default Re: Tricks To Staying Vegan?

My advice would be to remind yourself of your original reasons for going vegan, e.g. (in my case) the way animals involved in food production are treated.

^ agreed. Remind yourself why your doing this.

I occasionally think "I would love to eat that cheesecake/chocolate bar/cheesy bake" etc but I know I won't, because even just looking at non-vegan things makes me feel sad. I think about it all too much I do get quite upset. So I find that's the easiet way to stick with it lol. I don't want anything to suffer for me, their lives are worth more than my indulgences.

I agree.

Watching a few moments of Earthlings does the trick for me.

Having plenty of tasty food on hand is always good too, unless you're trying to eat less like me!

Johnstuff, I too think of Earthlings. I can't watch it sometimes though. I will usually watch PETA commercials on youtube, that is enough to remind me why I chose this lifestyle.

I can honestly say I've NEVER been tempted to eat anything non vegan................maybe I'm just lucky but knowing where non vegan food comes from is enough to put me off. I don't want to consume anything from another living being. The vegan alternatives are just as good if not better and far more healthy!

For anyone who needs encouragement to stay vegan though, I would say just remind yourself of what animal ingredient you are craving and where it originated and the suffering that the animal has had to endure in it's short life.............hopefully that is all you'd need to put you off wanting to eat that item.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Quote mmmorgans View Post
    Johnstuff, I too think of Earthlings. I can't watch it sometimes though. I will usually watch PETA commercials on youtube, that is enough to remind me why I chose this lifestyle.
    Yeah, I never really need to remind myself. It's stuck in my mind from watching it a year or so ago. I find these things hard to watch but also quite 'sobering' somehow...

I'm watching The Cove again with my dad ...I do also find it uplifting that there are amazing people out there making films like this and trying to change things.

I agree with all the above. While i have never been tempted to slip from my vegan path, if anybody was struggling i would suggest watching Earthlings again, or a few youtube videos. The longer i am vegan the more wonderful and yummy food i discover, that far outweighs any of my old none vegan favourites. So maybe treating yourself to a really nice vegan meal out, if that is possible, or indulging in one of the yummy recipes on here, that you haven't tried before, that may be all it takes to get you excited about vegan food again. xx
    ~WE MUST NOT REFUSE WITH OUR EYES WHAT THEY MUST ENDURE WITH THEIR BODIES.~

I pull up a mental image of the animal that was exploited to make that product. Example: I picture a caged, diseased chicken with it's beak partially cut off when my dad offers me a piece of apple pie made with egg. Then I have to picture a happy, healthy chicken (who wasn't exploited) so I don't get too sad.
    Eat your veggies!

Go to google and type in the words "Meet your meat"

Personally after a long enough time I just forgot what meat/dairy tasted like, so I didn't really miss it.

I have never been tempted to go back to eating meat or dairy.

I think if you are tempted you should make a vegan alternative of the dairy or meat that you are craving and wanting to have. You can easily make a vegan pizza with vegan cheese or make spaghetti bolognese with vegan veggiemince etc.

However I think that if you do end up slipping you should learn from the experience. My friend used to eat pizza on a very regular basis and when he went vegan struggled with this aspect...so once he caved and ate a pizza and he said he felt DISGUSTING..physically - oily, greasy, bloated and just terrible. Compare to this how vegan alternatives make you feel and you can learn a valuable lesson that will keep you on track. I know vegan alternatives do not make you feel as grotty and bloated as meat and dairy does. They aren't fantastic for digestion etc but are much better than animal products.

I just remember that there was one thing that was hard for me when going vegan. I have always had tea several times a day with milk. I really missed this but decided to go with herbal teas instead to help me over as black tea just tastes awful. Anyway several months down the line I decided to have a sip of a friend's tea....the taste of milk actually made my tummy turn upside down - even that small amount...that experience really helped me completely let go of my attachment to the tea.

Anyway that is my experience and I hope it helps

I've never felt any desire to slip; fortunately I've found it easy ... maybe because I still feel the powerful effects of what I learned that lead me to veganism in the first place. What I learned still hurts and so I keep up on animal rights news online, forums, blogs, email, and am always reading books related to same philosophy, so it really has become second nature for me. When I'm hungry I just stuff myself silly with something vegan and yummy.
    Also ... I have a poster that says "I shall not be a fair weather friend to trusting hearts. It is my solemn vow to protect them and keep them safe.....always." I look at this poster and the words never fail to touch me.

Has anybody else come to the point where the idea of eating non vegan food is more gross than tempting?

I remember years ago smelling bacon and thinking mmmmm, now I smell it and think yuk. I think taste buds just change over time, I currently have zero non vegan temptations, I just miss stir fry since I'm trying out a raw vegan diet. mmmm stir fry. yummy red pepper and tofu and squash sizzling with ....dammit.... I'm gonna stuff my face with fruit until I'm not hungry anymore, be right back

Watch a few minutes of 'Earthlings' or 'Meet Your Meat'.

Have some yummy vegan junk food to remind myself there's plenty of nice things I can eat that don't contain any animal products ^_^

Quote veggievore View Post
    Has anybody else come to the point where the idea of eating non vegan food is more gross than tempting?
    I don't always find it gross, but I just don't think of it as food, so it's not a temptation.

Haven't tried a completely raw diet and don't really understand the objection to stir fries etc which are lightly cooked anyway - but I'm probably not helping

Rocket Queen

I just remind myself what exactly such stuff is. I have been tempted a few times by taste, of things that I can't buy or make vegan for example cottage cheese. I have even convinced myself that my spending of 40p and eating it isn't going to cause harm. Then I think about what the stuff actually is, that is cow breast milk that's gone off , and I feel ...hang on brb ...
    The greatest mistake is to do nothing because you can only do a little.

Alt- F4 closes all the tabs!!!

[QUOTE=AlexK;660177]I've never felt any desire to slip; fortunately I've found it easy ... maybe because I still feel the powerful effects of what I learned that lead me to veganism in the first place. What I learned still hurts and so I keep up on animal rights news online, forums, blogs, email, and am always reading books related to same philosophy, so it really has become second nature for me. QUOTE]

I feel the same way... I haven't been tempted to eat meat or dairy products since becoming vegan, but I think this is because what I read before becoming vegan including Vegan Freak, Fast Food Nation, Introduction to Animal Rights etc really made it impossible for me to go back - the arguments behind veganism are so impenetrable to me and I totally agree with this quote from Jon Stewart - If you don't stick to your values when they're tested, they're not values. They're hobbies" - To me, veganism is more than just about food, it's an ethics system and through veganism you live life representing to non vegans the animal at the table. Plus, vegan food is so yummy, and there are so many delish vegan substititutes i.e. Swedish Glace ice cream and Cheezly mozzarella that I just haven't been tempted!

Yeah, I agree that watching a few minutes of Meet Your Meat or Earthlings does the trick. Not just if you're feeling tempted to slip, but also if you're feeling a bit blase about the whole thing. A while ago I was feeling a bit blase about being vegan, and then all of a sudden I smelt a disgusting smell. I turned around, and a truck had just stopped at the lights next to where I was walking. It was packed with sheep or calves, and I could hear them clambering around inside in confusion, not knowing where they were going, even though I did. It made me very sad at first, but ultimately it rekindled my passion and enthusiasm for being vegan.

I think is very important to have a discipline besides remembering why we are vegan.
    The every day ritual of eating in conciosnes is a must. When someone have tentations to go back to something is just because they did not learn from the experience in the past 100%.

I just wanted to add that I think it's really important to focus on the good stuff too, and not just the bad stuff. If you're being tempted to slip from veganism, you should spoil yourself a bit. Go to a good veg restaurant, buy a new cookbook. Go out of your way to find good vegan ice cream or chocolate. Break the budget and buy some nice new vegan shoes. Remind yourself of how fun and easy being a vegan can be.

I recommended watching PETA videos before. But if your soul is being weighed down by all the misery and cruelty of the world, then do the opposite and give yourself permission to forget about it all for a while; concentrate on just having fun, lest you burn out.

Totally agree with Stillwater

Quote Stillwater View Post
    I just wanted to add that I think it's really important to focus on the good stuff too, and not just the bad stuff. If you're being tempted to slip from veganism, you should spoil yourself a bit. Go to a good veg restaurant, buy a new cookbook. Go out of your way to find good vegan ice cream or chocolate. Break the budget and buy some nice new vegan shoes. Remind yourself of how fun and easy being a vegan can be.

I recommended watching PETA videos before. But if your soul is being weighed down by all the misery and cruelty of the world, then do the opposite and give yourself permission to forget about it all for a while; concentrate on just having fun, lest you burn out.
    Well, beeing new to veganism I've foud the most difficult part to be not the vegan food, but other vegan products as cosmetic, clothes, shoes, etc...
    For me it was not a problem at all to give up every non vegan food, but finding vegan shoes was mission imposible where I live and...I ended up buying non vegan shoes( I guess this makes me a fake vegan, thought I still repeat to myslef - what did you do, what did you do...I felt so much guilty about, but still. There are not any vegan shoes here, except some cheep and crapy sintetic one, not made for vegans expecially, and this only when you are lucky and labels are corect (in any!)...but this is another story. I don't want to give up veganisim, really enjoying beeing into.

You have to be very lucky to have all that vegan staff like shoes, cosmetics, clothes, on a reasonable price...heh...

Quote nadejda View Post
    Well, beeing new to veganism I've foud the most difficult part to be not the vegan food, but other vegan products as cosmetic, clothes, shoes, etc...
    For me it was not a problem at all to give up every non vegan food, but finding vegan shoes was mission imposible where I live and...I ended up buying non vegan shoes( I guess this makes me a fake vegan, thought I still repeat to myslef - what did you do, what did you do...I felt so much guilty about, but still. There are not any vegan shoes here, except some cheep and crapy sintetic one, not made for vegans expecially, and this only when you are lucky and labels are corect (in any!)...but this is another story. I don't want to give up veganisim, really enjoying beeing into.

You have to be very lucky to have all that vegan staff like shoes, cosmetics, clothes, on a reasonable price...heh...
    I have the same problem nadejda. I've been vegan a long time but still wear mostly leather shoes as I have had problems getting ones which are both smart for my work and fit me. It is easier to get sandals and trainers than smart ones. There are a number of companies in the uk who supply shoes mail order so if you have a "standard" size and shape of feet, I'm sure some of them will ship to Bulgaria. I have bought lots of vegan shoes though and had to ship most of them back.
    “You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.

Quote nadejda View Post

I live in a big city so I do have some access to vegan shoes, but I remember the first time I looked for them it was a nightmare. I looked in shop after shop, and as you say, the only ones available were the most absolutely crap, bad quality and ugly ones. Although eventually I found a decent shoe shop that made nice-looking shoes that were made from synthetics. I've since discovered that there's actually a vegan shoe shop near me that does hand-made shoes with high quality microfibre, though I'm sure that's a rarity around the world.

My advice is don't beat yourself up about it - what's done is done, and in the past. But don't forget that there are some shoes like Converse-style ones that are made of cloth, and I'm guesing here but aren't many sneakers (nike, addidas, etc.) made from synthetics? And like lastx says, try the mail order ones. Also, don't forget about second-hand shoes.

-
    Last edited by MCMLXXXVI; Jul 18th, 2013 at 03:34 AM.

Meat, dairy (bottled milk, cheese etc) and eggs all revolt me just looking at them in the store. But chocolate biscuits etc don't because it doesn't look like the thing in it. Plus not all have dairy etc in them anyway, so I look at them think "omg that looks yummy", check the label, see it has milk in it and then think "Ewww, no fair T_T" . So the things themselves revolt me, but not neccisarily all items containing them because you can't tell a lot of the time until you check. I hope that makes sense. It's like...malteasers don't revolt me, the ingredients do. But I still want malteasers, I just need to find vegan ones.

MCMLXXXVI, I used to be the same, eating some chips with milk powder here and there, especially as my favrouite flavour - salt and vineger - often have milk powder in them. But I've sinced found brands that are vegan, like Woolworths homebrand (which are actually the tastiest brand too, in my opinion). My pescatarian wife tries to always buy vegan chips now, even if she's buying for herself.

My other temptation sometimes is non-fairtrade chocolate. Even if it doesn't have dairy, I still don't consider chocolate vegan if it isn't fairtrade, since a lot of cacao is picked by child slaves in the Ivory Coast. I used to be adamant about only eating fairtrade chocolate, although since I went vegan I became a bit lax about that. I'm trying to get more disciplined about it now.

-
    Last edited by MCMLXXXVI; Jul 18th, 2013 at 03:33 AM.

Yeah, I know, the milk powder in chips is weird. I've noticed that plain chips never have it, so it must be something they use to help carry flavour, or perhaps to give the acidic ingredients like vinegar something to cling onto. But since some brands do perfectly well without it, it's kind of a mystery. Actually, I think salt and vinegar chips were the first thing I really missed when I went vegan, although I did eat a few non-vegan ones anyway, and eventually I found vegan brands. I've been especially tempted in the past by those brands that dont' have "milk powder" in the ingredients, but just "lactose". I figured that lactose is something of a by-product in things like low-lactose milk and that it wouldn't be very commerically significant, so I've justified eating them because of that. Silly reasoning though, really - I guess it's a bit like saying that leather is a by-product of meat. I think I've had those Red Rock Deli ones. I prefer my chips thinner though, which is why I like the Woolworths home brand one (I think Coles has a vegan no-name brand salt and vinegar one as well).

I don't feel I need reminding to be a vegan but I do find it helpful to have a vitamins/minerals chart in my kitchen. I work shift work and find myself eating for convenience (bad!) so looking at my chart I see fruits/veg etc that I haven't had for a while. When I see pepole eating meat/dairy foods I used to eat I think "I don't miss the food, I just miss the feeling that it gave me" and then I seek out vegan food I love instead. My relationship with food was psychological.

I've been finding the snack table at work a trial recently, as people keep leaving tasty looking things that I can't eat on there So I started baking fruit and cinnamon cookies and bringing them in for the table, and also offering round vegan chocolates and sweets. That's helped me feel more cheerful
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

^I get that at work too. People will bring in brownies and things which I can't eat, and neither can a co-worker of mine because she's allergic to dairy. So we bake each other cakes.

Just keep making vegan sweets and tasty food

Jippia

My trick is to remind me why I went vegan and listen to my conscience.

Quote Yuna View Post
    What are some "tricks" or advice you have used to stay vegan when you felt like slipping?
    Bit weird but effective this one ...

Vow to slaughter and eat the family pet before ever allowing an animal you didn't know to pass your lips again.

Quote sandra View Post
    I can honestly say I've NEVER been tempted to eat anything non vegan
    That's because you're amazing Sandra!

In the beginning I did and I just kept watching the videos that other people have mentioned. I have never seen Earthlings and I don't want too. I believe it's the thing that turned my GF vegan, so I have no need to watch it. I know what goes on and that is what keeps me vegan, that and wanting to be fit and healthy.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Becoming Vegan was a pretty strong decision for me and I thought A LOT about it before I went vegan. I've had any desire to ever eat non vegan things. After a while you're tastes change and you find milk, meat, cheese etc... utterly revolting.

So if you're ever feeling temptation to eat something non-vegan remind yourself of the AR issue and healthy issues that come with eating animal foods.

For me it's the energy I have on a minimally processed plant based diet that keeps me pumped on being vegan.

leedsveg

Quote Jippia View Post
    My trick is to remind me why I went vegan and listen to my conscience.
    Very true Jippia. Veganism is more than just about health, the environment, economics etc. It is also part of our moral code, part of our "rules" that link in to our conscience.

lv

Quote sandra View Post
    I can honestly say I've NEVER been tempted to eat anything non vegan................maybe I'm just lucky but knowing where non vegan food comes from is enough to put me off. I don't want to consume anything from another living being. The vegan alternatives are just as good if not better and far more healthy!

For anyone who needs encouragement to stay vegan though, I would say just remind yourself of what animal ingredient you are craving and where it originated and the suffering that the animal has had to endure in it's short life.............hopefully that is all you'd need to put you off wanting to eat that item.
    I agree entirely.
    All animal products are just not food to me, I'd sooner eat aluminium powder.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

Quote horselesspaul View Post
    I agree entirely.
    All animal products are just not food to me, I'd sooner eat aluminium powder.
    Hmm I wonder what that tastes like? A mixture of flavours I bet!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Homer {mmmgllllrrr...alooominum powderrrrr....mmmmmrrrrrgl}
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

My trick no. 1 is to always remind myself that when i crave for specific (non-vegan) food, it is my body that lacks certain nutrients contained in it - but my body does not need this very food. - I then go for the vegan alternative, and all is well again.

Trick no. 2: I make it a sport to turn all good recipes vegan. Sometimes it takes some time of experimenting around, but when it eventually turns out okay i feel so happy and satisfied it gives me a real kick. No slipping back would ever do the same for me!

Having said that, i can not remember when last i craved animal based food. I think it is really true that if we vegans eat a whole foods plant based diet well balanced by what our bodies tell us through our appetites (provided our sense of appetite is unspoiled), we will feel so good that there will be no temptation to slip.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. (J. Krishnamurti)

Quote Eat Y'self Fitter View Post

For me it's the energy I have on a minimally processed plant based diet that keeps me pumped on being vegan.
    Same here!
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. (J. Krishnamurti)

Default Re: Tricks to stay vegan?

I agree with most of these posts. Thinking about what the "food" was originally or where it came from helps me. A growing taste aversion also helps. I will also think about my prior meat eating days and how sluggish, tired and gross I often felt after eating. Now, even if I overeat on something yummy I don't feel sick. Just full!

Really the best thing you can do to stay vegan is just be comfortable with being in your own skin.

I found that the biggest pressure to break vegan is external usually from people who are startled by your choice. This brings the fact to light that they are eating some that either came from or was once an animal. Just get comfortable talking about veganism in a non condescending way and after a while you should be strong enough to shrug off other peoples misconceptions.

I agree foulmouth. The pressures from outside are huge - be it from the lack of vegan food to buy ready cooked, or family/friends/coworkers etc. Society seems so anti-vegan that it is hard to stand up to all that pressure and be strong.

I have definitely been tempted and I wouldn't honestly be able to say I'll never have animal products again but I am certainly trying to resist temptation. I find that once I am in a routine and have lots of fresh fruits and vegetables in, I am happy. However, when something comes along to break that routine - eg, going to my parent's for the weekend - it is incredibly hard to stick to my choice.

My other problem is that I am not a fan of beans - I never have been - or lentils. Whilst I know you can get protein from many sources and I try to have soya products and tofu a few times a week, I tend to feel like I am lacking protein. I think that can make animal products seem all the more tempting.

Quote aliaslotte View Post
    I agree foulmouth. The pressures from outside are huge - be it from the lack of vegan food to buy ready cooked, or family/friends/coworkers etc. Society seems so anti-vegan that it is hard to stand up to all that pressure and be strong.

I have definitely been tempted and I wouldn't honestly be able to say I'll never have animal products again but I am certainly trying to resist temptation. I find that once I am in a routine and have lots of fresh fruits and vegetables in, I am happy. However, when something comes along to break that routine - eg, going to my parent's for the weekend - it is incredibly hard to stick to my choice.

My other problem is that I am not a fan of beans - I never have been - or lentils. Whilst I know you can get protein from many sources and I try to have soya products and tofu a few times a week, I tend to feel like I am lacking protein. I think that can make animal products seem all the more tempting.
    You don't like beans and lentils? And I thought I was picky What about nuts? I think asparagus and broccoli has quite a fair bit of protein aswell. What else... Oatmeal, pasta. Pretty much everything I eat has a fair amount of protein in it. Eating somewhere around 70 grams a day Some frozen veggies aswell. Peas and corn, mixed in with some rice. Make a bit of a stirfry

How about nut butters?? Like almond butter or peanut butter on toast.. Whole wheat bread and whole wheat pasta has a lot of protein in it, on mine it says 1 serving has 9 grams of protein, so if you have a serving of that and then a sandwich on whole grain that would be 3 good servings of protein...

Also if you start searching online vegan recipes that have pictures of the food, that can make you really hungry because most of it looks delicious. I've started doing that, saving the ones I like in a favorites folder on the computer, and then I pick a few that I'm gonna make for the week and add those ingredients to my list. It helps when you plan out meals that you like, so you have definite meals to look forward to all during the week.