Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tricks to stay vegan?

Default Re: Tricks to stay vegan?

Re protein, as BS and snowflower say it's in a lot of less obvious foods, but if you're concerned you can up your intake by adding nuts and seeds to things - a sprinkle of seeds on your salad, a few nuts with your cereal and so on. They are quite fatty but it's "healthy" fat and you only need a few.

I must admit I never really thought of videos which inform and I guess inspire people to do something about their diet. I have just watched half of PETA - meet your meat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFNFvOyTJd8

And I have never seen anything like it, I think Im going to cry.. How can people truely not care and put anything through that pain? Its awful

Quote phiewe View Post
    I must admit I never really thought of videos which inform and I guess inspire people to do something about their diet. I have just watched half of PETA - meet your meat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFNFvOyTJd8

And I have never seen anything like it, I think Im going to cry.. How can people truely not care and put anything through that pain? Its awful
    I don't know how those videos don't work on people... I thought I was reasonably thick skinned, but I couldn't watch those videos

I watched Meet Your Meat again last night and it has really helped. I went to do my weekly shop this morning with renewed vigor and enthusiasm for my vegan lifestyle.

I've also bought some things I've not cooked before - quinoa, tvp mince etc - to try and help bump my protein intake.

How do you guys deal with beauty/household products?

I am having trouble with hair products, especially permanent hair dye, bleach and conditioner for dry hair. I found some versions in what I wanted but they are vegetarian and not tested on animals, but not vegan. I am having difficulty persuading myself to use products I don't like as much which also state suitable for vegans since I am beauty obsessed also. It sounds very selfish, but when you're shopping its easy to just say what the heck there isn't a vegan bleach available at a similar price.
    You discover in him all the same organs of feeling as in yourself....has Nature arranged all the springs of feeling in this animal to the end that he might not feel?

Have you tried looking at Lush hair products? Don't think they do a bleach, but you might be able to find a good oonditioner. I use their henna to dye my hair (although I use Original Source shampoo and condituoner - keep my hair in lovely condition and smell great).

Thanks for the help, I will have to try Lush.
    You discover in him all the same organs of feeling as in yourself....has Nature arranged all the springs of feeling in this animal to the end that he might not feel?

Daniel Field's mail order website is another place to look for vegan hair products although I'm not sure if they have exactly what you're looking for, Invictus. I think they did have one product with honey in it but it was clearly marked and as far as I know everything else is suitable for vegans.

The only tip that works for me is thinking where the product comes from...

The only things I'd get tempted by are products that can quite easily be made vegan so therefore isn't an automatic *ugh* response because you've eaten a vegan alternative!

I'd never get tempted by meat or eggs or milk on their own!
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Eat as much of your food organic as possible, I think. Organic food tastes better to me and usually has more nutrients. Also, there's less hidden animal products, I think. I also have a mental illness and eating organic food keeps me a lot calmer. I get agitated on conventional tea as opposed to organic tea. And being organic makes me feel less hot during the summer- I think the conventional food blocks one's pores and you overheat.

Thanks Back-Space and Sunflower. I didn't know all of those foods had protein in it. That must be why organic bread is so satisfying to me.

My organic wheat bread has 3 grams of protein in it but a serving is 1 slice. I also need b vitamins for better mentals and i read whole wheat has b vitamins and even the organic orange juice seems to be a very good source of b vitamins.

I'm not exactly tempted to eat non-vegan foods, but I am tempted to eat sweets and snacks at times. What works for me is to consistently include legume and grain protein at most meals with a good portion of veggies. A few times out of the week I'll microwave or bake a single serving portion of brownie, cake or treat with whole food ingredients. I have a major sweet tooth so satisfying that psychological craving helps me stay at ease.

People in my hometown kept little ranches or stables/coops in their land to get tax cuts, so they were not eating their animals, but rather keeping them alive and healthy for as long as possible. I also had pet chicks for a while when I was growing up (until homeowners association found out). The thought of seeing my little pet chicks turn into rotisserie was just sad....glad my parents gave them to a local ranch hand who took care of them.
    Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace (Schweitzer, 1952)

Default Re: Tricks To Staying Vegan?

Quote veggievore View Post
    Go to google and type in the words "Meet your meat"

Personally after a long enough time I just forgot what meat/dairy tasted like, so I didn't really miss it.
    this is the video that turned me vegan - i was in floods of tears watching this. how can anyone eat meat after seeing this.
    I often try to get omnis to watch this but they say they don't want to see it incase it puts them off meat ???!!! some people just can't be converted.

Quote aliaslotte View Post
    I watched Meet Your Meat again last night and it has really helped. I went to do my weekly shop this morning with renewed vigor and enthusiasm for my vegan lifestyle.

I've also bought some things I've not cooked before - quinoa, tvp mince etc - to try and help bump my protein intake.
    that's the best thing about being vegan is exploring new foods that i've never heard of before, and when you tell people what you eat they're like "what is that???"

Quote Back-Space View Post
    Eating somewhere around 70 grams a day
    if you want to work out how much protein you need to eat per day (provided you're not into weigh lifting or anything like that): get your weight in pounds and multiply it by 0.37. so say a 10 stone person, that's 140lbs * 0.37 - should eat around 52g of protein per day. not 100% sure if this is the same for men but is definately the case for women.

Quote Daffodil View Post
    when you tell people what you eat they're like "what is that???"
    I had this experience this past weekend with my partner's grandmother. She was having us and family over for brunch and she was like "you don't want eggs or a croissant with butter?" My partner and his mum laughed and said "you've said the evil word, he's vegan." And the grandma was like "what do you eat?" I replied: "TVP, Quinoa, Chickpeas, hummus, tofu..." She opened her eyes wide and stared at me before saying "WHAT is that?!"
    Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace (Schweitzer, 1952)

i take it for granted that ppl know what these foods are coz they're so normal for me now. i forget there was a time i'd have said the same? (what is that?)

I've been around them for a while now because my grandparents are veg and I have been too...but I had that experience with my partner. I started implementing and easing TVP, Quinoa, Hummus and tofu into our meals (I'm the one that does the cooking). After a few months of living together, he stopped asking for chicken and cheese and settled for tofu, veggies and tofutti. I don't do Tofutti but we have it at home coz of him. It was funny to see the transition from meat eater to tofu eater. Now we don't have those "What is THAT?" moments. I do take it for granted too.

Quote Cupid Stunt View Post
    Bit weird but effective this one ...

Vow to slaughter and eat the family pet before ever allowing an animal you didn't know to pass your lips again.
    This is an old post I know but I LOVED this so much I had to commentJ what a great way to think about it. I love Gaia and when I was considering going Vegan a bit ago I was petting her and just started tearing up. The idea of hurting her or just watching her be hurt would be so horrible. Then I looked at “meat” and animal excretions and knew I could not help that suffering any more.

So I am taking that Vow.

LG
    If you don't stick to your values when they're being tested, they're not values—they're hobbies. ~ Jon Stewart .

I made a deal with myself. As long as I stay Vegan I don’t have to watch earthlings again or any documentary or book where animals are hurt. But if I started feeling blasé about animals or start thinking other negative non helpful thoughts I have to watch and read everything again.

Its not that I start not caring about animals but it’s like my conditioning to not be moved by suffering re surfaces and I make myself confront the truth

I do get cravings for animal products and I think that makes sense since I ate them for years and some things there are no exact replacements for. But in time my taste buds will change and I will adapt.

People ask how I could give something up I used to like and for me it’s about making a choice and I choose to not buy in to the mentality that animals are here for our use.

p.s It also helps that I am amazed with all the changes in my life already because I am Vegan. I can have animal pictures as my screen saver because I am no longer apart of the system that hurts them. My body loves what I am eating and not eating and I feel better all around then I have in years.

LG
    If you don't stick to your values when they're being tested, they're not values—they're hobbies. ~ Jon Stewart .

Quote Yuna View Post
    Eat as much of your food organic as possible, I think. Organic food tastes better to me and usually has more nutrients. Also, there's less hidden animal products, I think. I also have a mental illness and eating organic food keeps me a lot calmer. I get agitated on conventional tea as opposed to organic tea. And being organic makes me feel less hot during the summer- I think the conventional food blocks one's pores and you overheat.
    Quote Yuna View Post
    My organic wheat bread has 3 grams of protein in it but a serving is 1 slice. I also need b vitamins for better mentals and i read whole wheat has b vitamins and even the organic orange juice seems to be a very good source of b vitamins.
    Quote Wikipedia
    Nutritional value and taste

According to the UK's Food Standards Agency, "Consumers may choose to buy organic fruit, vegetables and meat because they believe them to be more nutritious than other food. However, the balance of current scientific evidence does not support this view."[31] A 12-month systematic review commissioned by the FSA in 2009 and conducted at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine based on 50 years' worth of collected evidence concluded that "there is no good evidence that consumption of organic food is beneficial to health in relation to nutrient content."[32] Other studies have found no proof that organic food offers greater nutritional values, more consumer safety or any distinguishable difference in taste.[33][34][35][36] A review of nutrition claims showed that organic food proponents are unreliable information sources which harm consumers, and that consumers are wasting their money if they buy organic food believing that it contains better nutrients.[37]
    Although it is commonly claimed that organically grown food tastes better than conventionally grown food, reviews of the literature that looked at the sensory qualities of the two have not found convincing evidence that there is any significant differences.[28][27]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic...alue_and_taste

You might also need to take a separate B12 supplement. I don't know about US law but in the UK organic food is not allowed to be fortified.

There's a thread on organic foods here - http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...anic-(or-not-)
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

The full thing not just the trailer. It's what set me on the path to starting, it's what reminds me every time I start to think it could all just be futile.

Wish I could say I didn't need it and I always found it easy to keep to, but unfortunately there are moments.

Thanks for jumpstarting this thread again. It's a great one for anyone who is new to veganism. I shifted from long-term vegetarian to vegan back in the spring of this year. I am comfortable with everything now, but find that I still learn something new here everytime I log in.

Quote veggievore View Post
    I remember years ago smelling bacon and thinking mmmmm, now I smell it and think yuk. I think taste buds just change over time,
    I used to be so hooked on bacon, that I considered it to be it's own food group! LOL. This is one of the few non-vegan foods that still smell good to me, but when I tried it once after going all vegan, it tasted pretty bad. I wasn't disappointed though, as it helped me to know that I would never be tempted by the bacon again. Most meats smell awful now, which is thrilling and surprising for me. I was sure that I would always miss it, even if I did not stray from the vegan foods.

Quote IndeR View Post
    I think is very important to have a discipline besides remembering why we are vegan.The every day ritual of eating in conciosnes is a must. When someone have tentations to go back to something is just because they did not learn from the experience in the past 100%.
    Agreed! It's not just about what we are eating. It's about the way we live our lives, and respect those who are not able to speak for themselves.

Quote MCMLXXXVI View Post
    Sometimes I'm extremely tempted to pinch some of my partner's chippies, despite them having milk powder in them (he's lacto-vegetarian). .
    It's frustrating, isn't it? There are plenty of expensive vegan alternatives out there, but they do not fit into my budget. I have recently discovered that there are some brands of crunchy and/or salty snacks in the aisle of my local dollar store that have no milk or non-vegan ingredients. I don't eat them often, simply because they are not on my list of whole foods that I am eating (a personal mission for me now, to eat whole foods as often as possible), but......when the craving hits, at least I can eat cheap and vegan. There is a toffee popcorn there that is delicious, even though it is articially flavored to taste like toffee. As I am typing this, I am seriously questioning why I would want to eat something that has that description, vegan or not! Back to the whole foods.....

Quote Cupid Stunt View Post
    Bit weird but effective this one ...

Vow to slaughter and eat the family pet before ever allowing an animal you didn't know to pass your lips again.
    Cupid....I see flashes of one of my cats with their lovey eyes looking at me....an involuntary response but an effective one. Would I eat one of my cats? Umm, no! Therefore, why would I want to eat another animal, right?

Quote veganina View Post
    Having said that, i can not remember when last i craved animal based food. I think it is really true that if we vegans eat a whole foods plant based diet well balanced by what our bodies tell us through our appetites (provided our sense of appetite is unspoiled), we will feel so good that there will be no temptation to slip.
    YES! Once I began switching to almost all whole foods, my cravings are gone for meat or even for junk food. It is rare for me to want anything specific that I shouldn't eat. Except for that darn dollar store toffee popcorn. (walks away, slapping her forehead)

Quote AaronM View Post
    it's what reminds me every time I start to think it could all just be futile.
    Wish I could say I didn't need it and I always found it easy to keep to, but unfortunately there are moments.

How could respecting other living beings EVER be futile?
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Quote sandra View Post
    How could respecting other living beings EVER be futile?
    The same way my vote didn't keep the Tories out of government at the last election. Admittedly stores work on a sliding scale rather than a binary of buying things in or not, but you get the idea.

Sorry, I don't understand what you are saying Aaron. Are you saying if there is a lack of vegan products in stores, that puts you off being vegan?

Nothing could ever put me off being vegan. As I said before there is nothing futile about respecting ALL living beings.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Quote sandra View Post
    Sorry, I don't understand what you are saying Aaron. Are you saying if there is a lack of vegan products in stores, that puts you off being vegan? Nothing could ever put me off being vegan. As I said before there is nothing futile about respecting ALL living beings.
    I agree sandra. Well said.

Also, when I see people type the phrase 'vegan products', it makes me pause. I rarely buy things that are labeled vegan. I just buy whole foods like beans, grains, veg and fruit, nuts, etc. No need to be labeled vegan, because they are not processed, and are not from animals. Of course, I know you know that.

Just adding this thought for those like me who are newer to being vegan. It is really a simple thing as far as food goes, and inexpensive to boot! The other aspects of vegan seem simple to me, too. Protect innocent animals by not buying products that come from them. Live side by side with them. Respect that they are living, feeling creatures, just like me.

Maybe I sound too simplistic...? (scratches her head) It doesn't seem that complicated to me.

It really isn't as complicated as it sounds. I agree as well Sandra & Amethyst. Whole foods that are natural and in their natural state don't have to be labeled vegan. We know plants and plant-based foods are vegan. There is such a wealth of info available everywhere that it's pretty simple to stick to with if you become a little knowledgeable and stuff. The food aspect is one side, but the important side is the protection of animals and the reduction or elimination of animal cruelty.

Quote Johnstuff View Post
    Watching a few moments of Earthlings does the trick for me.
    I'd have proposed the same.
    Have a mouth as sharp as a dagger but a heart soft as tofu.
    (Chinese proverb)

splodge

I don't ever fancy any non vegan foods. I know I'll never, ever eat anything like that again. It's repulsive. I've always been vegetarian so the thought of having a decomposing body inside me is repulsive, and years ago I started to feel the same about cow pus, chicken period and bee vomit.

The people on here who seem to be struggling, seem to be worrying too much about protein and nutrition. Just don't worry about it - you didn't before you went vegan, and you're in a better position now. So long as you favour wholegrains and get your 5 a day you'll be absolutely fine. You absolutely don't need to worry about protein unless you have really strange eating habits! Just don't think about it and concentrate on enjoying food.

splodge

Oh and I had my vegan click after realising that animal agriculture is the cause of world hunger, environmental problems and the biggest threat to human's future survival. It's too easy to separate yourself from an individual animal's suffering for animal rights alone to keep oneself vegan. It's too easy to think - oh, it's already dead, I can't change the world etc. Just remember that there's not a problem in the world that animal agriculture didn't cause, and remember that when you see the adverts of starving babies.

So long as you favour wholegrains and get your 5 a day you'll be absolutely fine.
    It's unfortunately not that simple.... but I agree that there's no need to worry more about nutrtition than as a non-vegan - and the few things one needs to pay attention to are so simple to deal with that one can write them down on a small postcard.

I could write pages about tricks to stay vegan, but I think the keyword is to make it enjoyable - at least as enjoyable as one used to find a non-vegan diet and lifestyle. More later.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

To me this is backwards. Cunning tricks would have to devised to get me to drop veganism.

Quote harpy View Post
    My advice would be to remind yourself of your original reasons for going vegan, e.g. (in my case) the way animals involved in food production are treated.
    I agree with this. Watch one of those videos (you know the ones... Earthlings, etc.) regularly, even if you don't think you need to. For me once a year is plenty because otherwise I'd be constantly upset, but if you're quite new to veganism, maybe do it more often. For me, it just reaffirms my decision and means I have absolutely no doubt that I'm doing the right thing.

I'd also try to make sure you always have plenty of vegan food options around you. I always have yummy food in the house, and as soon as I'm eating some of that, cheese or eggs or whatever never even cross my mind.

Making sure you are getting the right nutrients is important anyhew - but if you are missing something you could crave foods which you normally associate with the missing nutrients.

If there is something which looks tasty I always think of the animal abuse which went into the making which normally helps - then trying to make a vegan alternative (although I suck at baking big time!)

My advice is get well read about nutrition. Most vegetarians and vegans go back because of health issues (self reported obviously but still). Veganism can be done wrong i would say, and protein isn't too huge a concern. RDAs for protein frequently are reevaluated and go down mostly. As long as you dont eat too much junk food, get some kind of non-dairy milk, and maybe some peanut/almond/walnut butter to snack on, you should be good on that.

Id recommend something with Omega 3s, like flaxseed (just a tablespoon or so a day). B12 should be covered by soy milk if its fortified, otherwise nutritional yeast (YUM) or a supplement is the way to go (better to be safe than sorry). Other than that, grains, fruits, veggies and nuts, and try to be diverse in your eating habits.

As far as ethics, id agree, watch one of the videos, and you will be re-fired up. I can't watch them as they sicken me to the core and tend to make me very misanthropic for a few days. And dont let what other people do affect you too much. You can have omni friends as a vegan (I have more omni friends than vegan cause I am not in a very vegan friendly area), but be confident, dont hide that you are a vegan and dont act the least bit ashamed or shy about it (this STILL plagues me sometimes which is why i am telling it to you at the risk of hypocrisy). In spite of my own shyness about my veganism, i have never once slipped up or taken "time off" from veganism. So it can be done even if you are a very shy person who isn't comfortable being very outspoken and all (though veganism has helped me to be more confident in other areas of my life).

but be confident, dont hide that you are a vegan and dont act the least bit ashamed or shy about it (this STILL plagues me sometimes which is why i am telling it to you at the risk of hypocrisy). In spite of my own shyness about my veganism, i have never once slipped up or taken "time off" from veganism. So it can be done even if you are a very shy person who isn't comfortable being very outspoken and all (though veganism has helped me to be more confident in other areas of my life).
    I have struggled with shyness and lack of self confidence my entire life. I am also an extreme introvert (not a bad thing or even disorder but it is not as socially acceptable or understood in a world of extroverts), and I have an avoidant personality disorder that has at times lead to profound depression and anxiety and inability to function that required hospitalization. It's gotten a little easier as I have gotten older, but it will always be a struggle.

This has not affected my strong ethical vegan stance, but it has made it harder for me to vocalize myself in public when there is debate involved or skeptical questioning of veganism. I am a much better writer than an on the spot deal with it kind of person. So I have put off activism such as public leafleting (I still privately sneak vegan pamphlets and leaflets into public places and leave them where they will be seen ha ha but do it without being seen) and sometimes even put off wearing my vegan T shirt or baseball cap as I fear being confronted and not being able to defend it. It took some time before I could go out to eat again because it requires that you be very vocal and ask the waiter/waitress questions to be sure what you are getting and paying for is vegan. One way around this is to research area restaurants ahead if they have online menus or call them ahead and explain the situation and ask all your questions on the phone. I have done this. Some people are uncomfortable having to ask the waiter/waitress about vegan options when they are with a crowd of coworkers, business associates, or even friends at a restaurant.

When I first became vegan I used to say I was vegetarian instead because it is more socially acceptable and I am forever worried about what others think of me. But that didnt last long. It is important for me to be able to say I am vegan and say it with dignity and pride. It is my identity and I very strongly support veganism in every area of my life.

So I have put off activism such as public leafleting (I still privately sneak vegan pamphlets and leaflets into public places and leave them where they will be seen ha ha but do it without being seen) and sometimes even put off wearing my vegan T shirt or baseball cap as I fear being confronted and not being able to defend it.
    Same here. I dont have any vegan shirts etc, but as far as leafleting goes. I only started leafleting a month ago and have only been to one event, handed out a little under 100 leaflets. But its been a month and i haven't gone to any other events (there have only been 2 or 3 but still, i probably couldve made one of them). Its a great opportunity for me because im in college and thus could make a bigger impact, but I still am unused to it and worried about running into people i know who don't know im vegan etc. I found leafleting to not be as worrying as id expected though as long as i was with a small group of people, alone would seem really tough.

Quote TarekF View Post
    Same here. I dont have any vegan shirts etc, but as far as leafleting goes. I only started leafleting a month ago and have only been to one event, handed out a little under 100 leaflets. But its been a month and i haven't gone to any other events (there have only been 2 or 3 but still, i probably couldve made one of them). Its a great opportunity for me because im in college and thus could make a bigger impact, but I still am unused to it and worried about running into people i know who don't know im vegan etc. I found leafleting to not be as worrying as id expected though as long as i was with a small group of people, alone would seem really tough.
    I'd say you are doing pretty good having leafleted at least once! Bravo!!! Now that you mention it I think I might be able to do it with a small group if I wasnt standing way off alone. My problem is work and school is keeping me so insanely busy (I am doing school online as the program I am in only has the accredetation and certification I am seeking from colleges that are far away so not much social interaction). However, I am on break now from school at least so I guess I don't have too many excuses except the leafleting events available that I know of are all three hours away in the Twin Cities and they are Christian vegetarian associated. It's hard to find vegan activism up here, but I did sign up on Meetup in case any local vegans want to start a group. I dont know that I could get out there and start something myself being still new to veganism (a little over a year now) and terribly shy but I would follow someone elses lead.

Thanks for providing some inspiration!