Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I wanna go 50% raw. How did you start?

puca

Default I wanna go 50% raw. How did you start?

But have no idea where to start?

I'd like to go raw partly for spiritual reasons, also for health reasons. I want to see that if I eat without heating the food, if I will feel more 'connected'... I know that won't make sense to a lot of people, but I'd like to feel closer to nature. I think raw may help.

However, I am stuck as to how to start. I have two raw cookbooks (Raw Food Made Easy and The Raw Energy Bible)... I am not the best reading person and learn best by watching, or doing things myself. Also, some of them have quite posh sounding recipies... I am a basic, home food kinda person... Very low maintenance. I don't wanna rely too much on technology either. I am finding it quite confusing...

I was wondering how you got in to raw and what you started making.

Also, what are the good staples and what one needs to be stocked up with...

If you're raw and in London, would you like to cook together? I don't mind buying ingredients and eating together for a lesson.

Thanks a lot!

Default Re: I wanna go 50% raw... How did you start???

Hi Puca, You should try and include more fruit in your diet and a mixed raw salad everyday. I've been eating a raw diet for about 8 years now, but I've been eating about 50% raw for the past 3-4 years. I started off reading David Wolfe, and Paul Nison's "Raw Knowledge" is an excellent book. Have you read " Children of the Sun" thats an inspirational book. I started eating a high fruit diet after meeting Dr Doug Graham, from FoodandSport.com. I eat fruit/smoothies in the morning and snack on fruit throughout the day and normally some raw veg/salad in the afternoon.
    "Eat more raw" by Steve Charter is also a good book.

BlackCats

Are you raw for health reasons Sunkist?

I am going to eat more raw food as I am feeling really run down lately. 50% raw doesn't sound that scary. I think I might get a book about it.

Are porridge oats raw?

Hi BC- I think most people go raw for health reasons I didn't feel particularly healthy before I discovered raw and living foods. (although I didn't feel that unhealthy either) I had been vegan for about 1 year when a friend introduced me to the raw/living food diet,- it just made so much sense to me,- not cooking anything and eating food as we're supposed to eat it ,in its natural state. I first read The Sunfood Diet Success system by David Wolfe and loved that book and "Children of the Sun" by Gordon Kennedy which is a beautiful book about the history of Vegetarianism and "Nature Cure", -that was very inspirational for me as it changed my life in many ways.
    I was eating a high raw diet for a few years( I was also teetotal, caffeine free). I experimented with Fruitarianism and Natural Hygiene and still practice the principles of Natural Hygiene i.e Low fat vegan diet, plenty of fresh air and exercise, pure clean water, sunshine But with the pressures of having children I lost focus and couldn't sustain it.
    I now feel its important to include at least half my diet with fresh, raw/living foods as it seems wierd to me the amount of "cooked" food some people eat- and don't think twice about it
    I eat quite a lot of fruit and try to mono-eat e.g I can eat 5 apples in one go and that would be a filling meal.
    Do you know Gillian McKieth advoactes a 70-80% raw diet and she says with 20% naughtiness
    I drink fresh lemon with warm water in the mornings too, it helps with detoxifiaction and cleansing.....
    Have you heard of the Gerson Therapy? I'm a big fan of juicing also , especially to boost the immune system.

I think Paul Nison's book Raw Knowledege was a good book as it helps you face your addictions, and also Fred Patenaude and Gabriel Cousens are worth checking out.

I don't think porridge oats are raw,(but have you tried sprouting ?) you can always have Green smoothies in the morning with ground flax seeds

BlackCats

Thanks for all that helpful info Sunkist.

I am just doing it purely to give my health a boost so probably will only keep it up until I start to feel better. I do definitely think it makes sense as the most healthy diet. I have just started having hot water and fresh lemon in the mornings again, I fell out of the habit a while ago.

I think I am going to have to be brave and try a green smoothie. Scarlett informs me that you can't taste the greens in it but I will see for myself! I haven't read any books on the subject but I do like Gillian McKeith, she seems to know her stuff.

I used to get an organic fruit and veg box delivered and there were sprouts included and I have to say I wasn't a huge fan of them!

I will be going and buying lots of fruit and vegetables tomorrow.

Quote BlackCats View Post
    Scarlett informs me that you can't taste the greens in it but I will see for myself!
    I forgot to say, start off with just a small amount added and then gradually increase the amount of greens, that way you don't really notice it so much, well I didn't anyway

Raw Food Made Easy has some very easy recipes, they don't really come much easier.... I also like Kate Wood's book Eat Smart Eart Raw.

I'd recommend starting out with a salad each day, then as you find raw recipes you like, add them in to your diet to substitute your cooked meals.

Personally I don't find being raw terribly easy, but that's all down to personal circumstances. You may find it easy, but IMO it requires a very big mindshift, much greater than that required for going from omni to vegan, for example. But that's just my opinion. Just don't judge yourself harshly if you don't find it easy, because I don't think it is.

It's a wonderful way to eat - just take it slowly, and enjoy the journey!

I used to get an organic fruit and veg box delivered and there were sprouts included and I have to say I wasn't a huge fan of them!
    Have you tried them oven roasted, BC? They're so much better than steamed.

Zero

Quote puca View Post
    But have no idea where to start?
    Open mouth and insert more fresh fruits and vegetables, it can be as simple as that........ Or you can buy a book and make it really complicated and make raw dishes that often use tons of ingredients and take ages to make.

If are looking at doing 50% raw why over complicate it? It will probably just mean you'll just start eating the amounts you should really be eating anyway

I think I am going to have to be brave and try a green smoothie. Scarlett informs me that you can't taste the greens in it but I

BC- I'm not a big fan of them either, but I like alfafa, broccoli and sunflower sprouts ,- Green smoothies are awesome, you can't taste the greens at all, -especially if you add enough fruit, I'll pm you my easy recipes,

BlackCats

Quote fiamma View Post
    I'd recommend starting out with a salad each day, then as you find raw recipes you like, add them in to your diet to substitute your cooked meals.
    That was what I was going to do. Just swap one meal a day for a completely raw salad and just eat more fresh fruit (as Zero said that probably is the way most people should be eating anyway.)

Quote fiamma View Post
    Have you tried them oven roasted, BC? They're so much better than steamed.
    No I haven't yet.

Quote Sunkist View Post
    BC- I'm not a big fan of them either, but I like alfafa, broccoli and sunflower sprouts ,- Green smoothies are awesome, you can't taste the greens at all, -especially if you add enough sweet fruit, I'll pm you my easy recipes,
    Thanks.

Sorry Puca, I'm taking over your thread! Have you started it yet, how is it going?

Puca, - I can help you with smoothies and salad prep and other ideas

green smoothies are yummo - just make sure you make them nice and fruity tasting with stuff like pineapple, mango, papaya, red berries and you dont taste the greens so much! start off with a higher ratio of fruit to greens and just gradually add more greens.

romaine lettuce and baby leaf spinach are good mild ones to start off with.

good luck!

Quote Sunkist View Post
    I eat quite a lot of fruit and try to mono-eat e.g I can eat 5 apples in one go and that would be a filling meal.
    Is there some benefit to eating mono? I never heard of it.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

If you want to go 50% raw try eating fresh fruit for breakfast, incorporate more fresh veggies into your meals and have a cooked meal at night. I always find dinner is the biggest challenge when going raw.

BlackCats

I just made my first green smoothie, it's not that bad at all! I used a banana, an apple and 4 leaves of spinach.

Today I had:

Hot water with lemon and three pieces of fruit for breakfast,
    Roasted spicy chickpeas with lots and lots of salad with apple cider vinegar and olive oil dressing for lunch,
    Cup of hot water with a spoonful of molasses,
    Then I got hungry about 4pm so I had 2 crumpets with PB and a packet of crisps ()
    I'm now having the green smoothie.
    I probably might have a cooked veggie burger and another salad with lime juice dressing later (if I'm still hungry.)

Does that day sound okay to people?:smile: Tomorrow I will have the green smoothie in the morning and hopefully leave out the crisps!

Sounds great! Just do what you're comfortable with, and you'll be fine.

BlackCats

Quote fiamma View Post
    Sounds great! Just do what you're comfortable with, and you'll be fine.
    Haha thanks. I'm still eating quite a bit of food but I'm not really doing it for weightloss (although I wouldn't mind obviously!)

Yum! Sounds good BlackCats

Quote DiaShel View Post
    Is there some benefit to eating mono? I never heard of it.

Dr Doug Graham says its easier on your digestion,- and he reccomends eating only eating one fruit at a time until you're full,- He's on Vegsource, maybe you should contact him, as he's very friendly. I don't really know the science behind it as I don't have information here, but I'm sure he can help you,

^ Eating 5 apples is easy on the digestion? I'm surprised to hear that with all the fiber in apples. So when you say eating one fruit at a time do you mean just eating one kind of fruit as a meal? Isn't it less types of vitamins though? Well, once I get the book I'll see what he says. That's awesome that he's so friendly.

Today a had a lot of grapes for breakfast and a big bowl of fruit, pear, peaches, banana and strawberries for lunch. Oh, and an apple with it. I think I'll do a big salad tonight.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Thumbs up Re: I wanna go 50% raw... How did you start???

Quote DiaShel View Post
    ^ Eating 5 apples is easy on the digestion? I'm surprised to hear that with all the fiber in apples. So when you say eating one fruit at a time do you mean just eating one kind of fruit as a meal? Isn't it less types of vitamins though? Well, once I get the book I'll see what he says. That's awesome that he's so friendly.

Today a had a lot of grapes for breakfast and a big bowl of fruit, pear, peaches, banana and strawberries for lunch. Oh, and an apple with it. I think I'll do a big salad tonight.
    I found the 80/10/10 diet too difficult to do, but it has a large following, do you know the forum Give it to me raw? you will find quite a few people doing his diet on there. I've no doubt its very healthy, but I find it too strict a regime to follow, but I still follow some of the principles of Natural Hygeine and a mono-fruit diet

today I've had, Breakfast- a green smoothie( half a mango, 1 banana, some spinach, ground sprouted flax powder) , some pitta bread with guacamole, 2 oranges at lunchtime , carrot-apple juice , 2 small apples, dinner I've had some dates, brown rice and steamed mixed veg,

BlackCats

Quote Sunkist View Post
    today I've had, Breakfast- a green smoothie( half a mango, 1 banana, some spinach, ground sprouted flax powder) , some pitta bread with guacamole, 2 oranges at lunchtime , carrot-apple juice , 2 small apples, dinner I've had some dates, brown rice and steamed mixed veg,
    That was a healthy sounding day.

I made a smoothie with two kiwi fruit, two apples, 6 spinach leaves and some flax seeds today. Surprisingly nice again!

I am feeling really tired and achy though. I think it must be that I am detoxing a bit from having lots of the fresh stuff and not as much junk food. My body mustn't know what's hit it!

^ Green smoothies need bananas!! It makes them creamy and thick, mmm...

i agree, its like a filler.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

mmmmmm I like popping banana slices in the freezer for a while too before adding them to a smoothie, makes it lovely and cold.

i pretty much only use frozen fruit for my smoothies, and i put the bananas in the freezer when they start getting too brown for my normal consumption, this way they aren't getting wasted. I also put about 2 handfuls of spinch in, its really not bad at all, you seriously can't taste it.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

BlackCats

I should try the frozen banana trick.

Spinach isn't too bad in smoothies at all. I think the real challenge will be if I start to use kale. That must be more nutritional than spinach I'm guessing because it's darker. I might be too much of a wimp to ever try it though.

I bought avocados, lemons and lots of root ginger today. Tomorrow I am going to try an orange, carrot, kiwi and ginger smoothie (suggested by Scarlett.:smile That will be a test I think as I can't imagine drinking carrot juice!

I should try the frozen banana trick.

Spinach isn't too bad in smoothies at all. I think the real challenge will be if I start to use kale. That must be more nutritional than spinach I'm guessing because it's darker. I might be too much of a wimp to ever try it though.
    I'm not that keen on kale, but its ok juiced with apples and carrots (to hide the taste I've never tried carrots in a smoothie,-I normally juice them with some ginger
    I agree, I sometimes add 2-3 bananas to my smoothies and they're quite good frozen and you can make banana ice cream.

BlackCats

(^ Yes, I realised that it was supposed to be a juice, I ended up with lumps of carrots in the smoothie this morning.)

Mmm banana ice cream.

I read this online recipe for raw chocolate mousse made with avocado that I'm going to try.

[QUOTE=BlackCats;608661](^ Yes, I realised that it was supposed to be a juice, I ended up with lumps of carrots in the smoothie this morning.)

I was wondering how you were going to blend carrots up!

Mmm banana ice cream.

I've got some recipes but its basically frozen fruit with coconut butter/avocado and agave syrup

I read this online recipe for raw chocolate mousse made with avocado that I'm going to try.

mmm I made one a while ago with advocado and it was really good

I've been eating nothing but fruit for 3 days. Surprising I've not been very hungry.

BlackCats

^ Does it make you feel full up Dia? I find some fruit, like apples eaten alone, sometimes makes me feel more hungry.

I am feeling a lot better eating more raw food (even though I am still eating some junk food, I did have a cheeseless pizza for dinner yesterday.) I haven't been drinking alcohol as well which is helping obviously.

I just ordered some shopping and got strawberries, pineapple, mango, apples, bananas, oranges, nectarines, romaine lettuce and spinach and I plan on making some yummy green smoothies. Those smoothies have been the biggest surprise for me. I think even if I stop eating as much raw food as I am at the moment I will stick with having a green smoothie every day. You can put so much nutritious stuff in one drink.:smile:

Default Re: I wanna go 50% raw. How did you start?

I'm surprising not that hungry BC. In fact, usually I think about food in this crazed obsessed way and I haven't this past week. That's interesting, I find that when I have an apple I feel more hungry too! I think apples are suppose to do the opposite and are the best to make you feel full. Well, I ate 4 apples for dinner and that did the trick. I feel very clean lately. It's a nice feeling. I do get a little light headed but I think that it's my low blood pressure probably getting lower or just the fact that I'm eating low calories since I'm trying to lose weight.

Smile Re: I wanna go 50% raw... How did you start???

I think even if I stop eating as much raw food as I am at the moment I will stick with having a green smoothie every day. You can put so much nutritious stuff in one drink.:smile:

I am having de-shelled hemp seeds in my smoothies aswell

JC

Ooh i'd like to join this thread! I'm trying hard to up my raw intake too, but it's not easy because there's no blender, food processor or anything where i'm living right now. And it's not worth buying one as i'm only here for a few more months. Breakfast seems to be the hardest as obviously, i can't have smoothies. But i've switched from my usually soya-milky porridge and am instead having chopped apple, soya yogurt, fruit compote and a sprinkling of raisins, nuts and seeds, which i know isn't at all raw, but i figured it was a step up from my microwaved porridge. Then for lunch and dinner i always have the same thing, a large salad with either tofu or a veggie burger. Occasionally i'll have banana on ryvita instead. Does anyone have any suggestions to spice things up a bit?? I can see this is going to get a bit samey after a while. But without a blender, the only thing i can un-cook really is salad. Oh, and Sunkist, i'm really interested in that book you recommended by Gordon Kennedy, but i'm having trouble finding it on the internet. Where did you get yours from?

BlackCats

^ How are you going now JC?

I completely fell off the raw wagon but I'm back on it as it is the first day of the year. I just had warm water with fresh lemons and a spinach and banana smoothie. I had forgotten what amounts to use so I used three big handfuls of spinach and two bananas but it tasted okay. I will have half a fresh pineapple and a big salad for my lunch and brown rice with steamed veggies for dinner. (There will probably be junk food involved in my day too though.)

I had planned to do the lemon juice cleanse today but I got hungry about 1 o'clock. I seriously have not got the willpower to ever do that.

Whilst we're here, I'd like to jump on the bandwagon too! I've been thinking about upping my raw intake for a quite a while now, and when I get back to Italy next week after Christmas with the family, I'll get sprouting and salads on the go! Would anyone be up for making a wee "going raw from the vegan forum" group on FaceBook?

BlackCats

^ I'm not on FB, how are you doing with it Declan?

Okay, I'm starting this again. I had a nectarine, white grapes, an apple and a pear for breakfast.

I have some leftover chili that I'm going to have with brown rice for dinner but I'm going to have a raw lunch. I'm having spinach, red pepper, lettuce, tomatoes, grated carrot and avocado probably with a non-raw dressing.

I hope to stick to the 50% raw thing this time!

By bizarre coincidence, I'm starting again today too! I just had a big fruit salad with apple, orange, blueberries and raspberries, sunflower seeds and cashews (though the cashews may or may not be raw but there was only a few in there).

Lunch is going to be salad with more or less any veg I can find (mixed greens, asparagus, bok choi, tomatoes) and goodness knows what dinner will be, but there'll be more fruit between now and then. I have a good feeling about things this time round!

Hey everyone,

I'm new here, but I definitely know I'm going to like it. I was vegetarian since I was 12, and I've been vegan now since I turned 20. I try and eat 60% raw food everyday.

The two things I found incredibly helpful were The Renegade Health Show, (Kevin and AnnMarie Giani are a raw food eating married couple who upload one show every day for the past 3 years as they travel around America and give health tips. Kevin . also wrote several books and they have organic foods and items for sell.)

Here is their link --> http://renegadehealth.com/blog/

I also youtubed a lot of David Wolfe's interviews.

Best of luck, I hope I've helped some!
    IslandVegan, Bethany

Hiya IslandVegan, welcome! Thanks for those links as well, very handy

BlackCats

Quote Declan View Post
    By bizarre coincidence, I'm starting again today too!
    That is weird!

Quote IslandVegan View Post
    The two things I found incredibly helpful were The Renegade Health Show, (Kevin and AnnMarie Giani are a raw food eating married couple who upload one show every day for the past 3 years as they travel around America and give health tips. Kevin . also wrote several books and they have organic foods and items for sell.)

Here is their link --> http://renegadehealth.com/blog/

I also youtubed a lot of David Wolfe's interviews.

Best of luck, I hope I've helped some!
    Thanks for that!

Quote Declan View Post
    W Would anyone be up for making a wee "going raw from the vegan forum" group on FaceBook?
    Yes, that sounds like a great idea! I can try and get my two roommates to join it with me. Even though they aren't Vegan or even Vegitarian they would totally be down.
    IslandVegan, Bethany

Quote IslandVegan View Post
    Yes, that sounds like a great idea! I can try and get my two roommates to join it with me. Even though they aren't Vegan or even Vegitarian they would totally be down.
    Brilliant! I'll PM you my full name and you can add me (and anyone else that wants to join in just message me)

Day two.

yesterday I kinda fell off the bandwagon after the fruit salad, ate cooked the rest of the day (including white bread, for the first time in maybe a year, it made my tongue itchy).

Today so far - breakfast was a massive fruit salad consisting of an apple, a pear, a navel orange, and a mango, with lots of (like, 100g each of) raspberries, blueberries and strawberries, topped off with a tablespoon or so each of sunflower seeds and cashews.
    Lunch was a massive green salad (massive salads seem to be the order of the day here) with mixed greens, bok choi, broccoli, asparagus and beansprouts. I think this is the most consistently I've ever been raw (ahah) but I feel great for it, yesterday after all that bread and stuff I just felt tired and ill. I'm going out tonight (plus I think I'm already at 50%) with family for dinner so I'll probably have a raw juice and raw salad (yay for wagamama) but quite a large cooked main too. Can't wait!

BlackCats

^ Your day sounded good Declan. I keep thinking I should eat more greens but I don't like the taste of most of them raw.

I've been a bit all over the place today.

I had a pear, an apple, an avocado and some spinach for breakfast.

My lunch was completely non-raw and I ate quite a lot and very late as well!

So I'm going to have a big salad and an apple, banana and spinach smoothie for dinner and maybe a half a fresh pineapple after.

I'm going to go and buy some more fresh fruit and vegetables tomorrow.

patientia

Do you mean 50% raw by weight, by volume or by calories?

BlackCats

^ I just try and make half my food intake from raw food and I eat until I'm full. I don't know what anyone else does. I don't think this way of eating makes me eat less calories (at all ) but I just "feel" a lot better eating this way.

I am finding it much easier to do with the warmer weather. There is a lot of nice fruit and veg around at the moment too.

patientia

But what do you mean by half? Is it half by weight (like at least 1 kilo raw if you eat 2 kilos of food in a day), or 1/2 by volume (at least one bowl of raw if you eat 2 bowls of food in a day)?

BlackCats

Patientia - I have been having 2 raw meals a day and then 1 non-raw meal and 1 junky snack. I'm not really being scientific about it.

I just read that the easiest way to start is to add raw foods to your normal meals and then try and reduce the portion size of the cooked food over time.

I just read that Renegade Health information IslandVegan. I'm feeling quite motivated now.