Thread: hey, baby I like it RAW!

Default hey, baby I like it RAW!

So, I'm trying out the raw vegan diet. I'm a few days in and feeling GREAT!!

Any advice? Foods I should incorporate for protein or vitamins?

I've got heaps of fruit and veggies and a good amount of almonds as well as flax seed, here's a little list of what I'll be chewing on, if you're well versed on the subject, let me know if there's anything important I should add.

Broccoli, Kale, Spinach, Avacados, Tomatoes, Zucchini, Squash, Melons- Water, cantaloupe, and casaba- mushrooms, red peppers, various beans, strawberries, blackberries, apples, nectarines, bananas, soy milk, Total cereal for vitamins

I've made homemade fruit salad and fresh salsa so far, both delicious!!!

Default Re: ........hey, baby I like it RAW!! Yeah baby I like it RAAWWWW!!!

soy milk and cereal are not raw. If you need vitamins, why not get it from the same place as cows? From grass. Take a wheatgrass, or barley grass or alfalfa grass supplement. They have plenty of vitamin A, calcium etc.

Also, a lot of beans are not raw. If you can sprout the beans, then they are raw. You can test a couple of them maybe?

at least to start off I'm willing to have a % of what I eat not be raw, wheatgrass sounds pretty gross, but I've thought that before and found myself eating stuff like wheat gluten and liking it, so maybe I'll come around in time.

You can take the grass supplements in pill or powder form. There's nice wheatgrass tablets in Whole Foods supplement section.

And you can make nut milk from nuts and seeds and water and have that with granola for cereal.

I try to be raw vegan but I'm hard on money right now so I stay organic vegan at least.

I'll check into the tablets, I tend to write my own guidelines with being vegan in a way that avoids it being punishing. Wheatgrass seems like something that would cross the line, any advice on getting Amino Acids into a raw diet?

amino acids are from proteins, right? I guess more nuts and seeds- you don't have any on your shopping list.

I am really interested in raw, I tryed going raw but all I ended up with was a tummy ache.....maybe I did it wrong......will be watching for ideas good luck!

Default Re: hey, baby I like it RAW!! Yeah baby I like it RAAWWWW!!!

If you are following the 80/10/10 style of raw foodism to keep your lipids at 10% then you want to eat 8 times as much fruit and vege in calories. Which can be quite a large amount of food. A large banana can have ~100 calories, and members of the forum at 30bananasaday.com consume upto 8000 calories a day averaging more around 3-3.5k. This is quite a few bananas (hence the name). When experimenting with this lifestyle a daily regime is somewhat as follows.

~5am-8am 5-10 bananas breakfast smoothing with 5-10 medjool dates
    ~9am-12pm Fruit salad - berries, grapes, peaches, mangos and or smoothie
    ~1pm-3pm 1-2LB salad with dark green vegies.
    ~4pm-7pm Final meal sprouted meal, zuchinni pasta, etc (usually meal containing fats or proteins, alternate each day)

Observations are that the food is carefully prepared and focusing on nourishment opposed to eating out impulse.
    You can spend a large part of your day eating/preparing, giving rise to easy meals like fruits.
    Large amount of consumption as calorie per bite is lower compared to cooked meals.
    If you eat with alternation between foods like having a 'nut day' a 'protein day' and always interchanging your berries, citrus, sub-acidic and sweet fruits nutrients will be less of an issue.
    B-12 you can look at nutritional yeast on your salad, or make nut cheeses, hummus and etc.
    Iron, many dark green leafies!
    Calcium, somewhat of a concern, again dark green leafies, the amount consumption is quite large so may not be an issue.
    Omega 3's and etc, look at ground flax seeds, ground chia and go hefty with the nuts! (this may however tip your 80/10/10 scale off a little) although if you are averaging say over the month, 80/10/10 then you are doing fine for this method.
    Primarily, get to know the body intimately, listen to what it wants, and support it.

OM Shanti Shanti Shanti

Default Re: hey, baby I like it RAW!

Always listen to your body

The_Westons

Default Re: hey, baby I like it RAW!

Keep it simple at first, until you have time to research more on Raw Food nutrition. Do yourself a favour and get this power.... http://www.rawpower.com.au/superfood...out-bee-pollen
    we love it, hardly any taste and just mix it with your favorite juice!