Thread: Furthest you have been from home

Keane

Default Furthest you have been from home

Christchurch, New Zealand.

Next time, if there is a next time, I'll have to go further south.

leedsveg

Default Re: Furthest you have been from home (the eco-unfriendly 'climate criminal' thre

Varanasi, India 1972. (Bus from Leeds was full so had to stand all the way.)

leedsveg

Default Re: Furthest you have been from home (the eco-unfriendly 'climate criminal' thre

London
    tabbouleh-bouleh

I've had a few 'round the world' tickets... so I guess the furthest from home would be everywhere!
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Well, you can either look at it as NZ is home and the furthest is the East Coast of Maine or NY is home and Queenstown NZ is the furthest
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Keane

Somewhat off-topic, but there has been an earthquake early Saturday morning NZ time, on the South Island, about 30 km west of Christchurch:

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/magn...s-chch-3759865

^ The sad this is I first heard about this from my family and friends in NY asking if I was ok... I really should check the news once in a while.

Such a shame. Luckily there doesn't seem to be many serious injuries and no deaths.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

I heard about that today and ur the first person i thought of. glad ur okay. xoxox
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

^ Aw shucks thanks. Was there a second person? :P

haha well i do know some people that live there. not very well but some.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Rajasthan, India.

Moab, Utah. Arches National Park is amazing.
    I’ll call you on your sh*t, please call me on mine. Then we can grow together and make this sh*t-hole planet better, in time. Consider someone else: STOP CONSUMING ANIMALS.

Victoria, Australia
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

I realize that it is not eco-friendly, which makes me sad... BUT I've been across the International Dateline AND the Prime Meridian. I'm proud to be a world traveler. I wish it could be in a greener way.

Berwick upon tweed.

I've never left the UK. We didn't have the money when we were kids, then through Uni I didn't get a grant and decided debt was a foolish idea just to travel. Once married I also didn't have much money, and once we were off the bread line we had survived so long without travel it didn't seem worth it.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

Default Re: Furthest you have been from home

Quote Ms_Derious View Post
    I've never left the UK.
    Same here, furthest I think is either Wales or the Isle of Man.

Quote Gail View Post
    Rajasthan, India.
    Snap. One of the best parts of India IMO.
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

El Calafate, Argentina.

casper, wyoming.

i long to go back to america. saving up to spend my 21st birthday in new england!

I had to do a latitude longitude check to get this right, but Cyprus it is.

Paris or Oslo, whichever is further. Although, you could technically call Norway my 'home' and California was simply the place I was raised.

Tokyo, or Tennesse, I'm not sure which one's further away from Ireland!
    Houmous atá ann!

Seoul, South Korea or Beijing, China. They are both on the exact opposite side of the planet from me, and man were those some painful flights!
    See, in all our searching, the only thing we've found that makes the emptiness bearable is each other.

My first time overseas was on a cruise at the beginning of the year. Flew from Melbourne up to Sydney first, a day later we headed off to Vanuatu and New Caledonia. Was very awesome and really cool! Definitely would do it again, perhaps to different ports though.
    I hate it when I'm studying and a velociraptor throws bananas on me.

I live a sheltered life. I have seen all of seven states in the U.S. and traveled to Canada a few times, up to Kenora and stayed in a cabin on Lake of the Woods a few times. I have never been oversees but I dream of visiting the UK! I'm just too poor right now and getting worse with student loans.

Student loans are horrible Robin. I taught in Korea and they paid for my flight there, and the apartment, so I was able to save up enough money to pay off my loans. If I hadn't had that deal, I wouldn't have been able to travel either.
    See, in all our searching, the only thing we've found that makes the emptiness bearable is each other.

Quote EpicLibrarian View Post
    Student loans are horrible Robin. I taught in Korea and they paid for my flight there, and the apartment, so I was able to save up enough money to pay off my loans. If I hadn't had that deal, I wouldn't have been able to travel either.
    Wow, what a wonderful opportunity! And yet so scary! I can not imagine going over seas to live in a place so different than home, even if only for a temporary period of time. But it would certainly broaden one's horizons and perspective. How did you like it there?

It really was scary! I had never been out of the US before, and I was used to living in the country. I lived in downtown Seoul, and the time zone was completely opposite from home. I really loved it though! I had so much fun and met so many great people, and I loved teaching. Living in the city was amazing, and you could get anything you wanted at any hour, and the public transportation was cheap and great. I miss it sometimes. When I first got back to the US, everything seemed so open and small. Guess I had gotten used to skyscrapers as far as the eye could see!

what is home? been a lot of places but not South America or Antartica. Someday.
    Now my daughter thinks of home as Beijing So Cal and UK. Hardly remembers England past Grandmas garden...

I figure .everywhere is 'bout the same distance from the centre

Furthest away I ever felt from what I know has to be diving a reef. That is another world!
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair