Thread: Vegan world = world peace?

Default Vegan world = world peace?

Do you think if everyone became vegan and got over that hurdle of respecting animals as living entities that have the right not to be harmed, they might get over that hurdle of respecting the rights other humans that are different from themselves? Would a vegan world mean world peace?

Sorry if this has been done before. I didn't have a lot of patience with the search function.
    Eat your veggies!

Keane

Default Re: Vegan world = world peace?

No. because wars are primarily driven by competition for space and resources. If the entire global human population went vegan there might be more food resources to go round, but that is about it.

I think it would contribute. The main hurdle to peace though is money as this is what most wars are fought over when you get down to it.
    “You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.

leedsveg

Sorry no. You only have to look on the internet and many people who claim to be vegan are very disturbed people indeed. They may 'love animal animals' but just can't deal with human animals.

leedsveg

Yeah I agree with where LV is coming from, also politics and religious matters wouldn't really be affected by people being vegan. Although it may make just general people you come into contact wiht from day to day life more peaceful, world leaders seem to be a different kettle of fish - Maybe it's all that power?

I wish that I had that much faith in human nature I agree with Leedveg after all vegans dont automaticaly became saints over night! Point of interest adl but would everyone have decided of their own free will? would there be vegan laws and punishments if people where non vegan? just thinking this though................vegan police?

I actually rekon there probably would be 'world peace' because if everyone understands exploitation and has the discipline to not cause any then surley no-one would go to war. I imagine very few vegans join the army etc.

Human nature being what it is means the world is about as likley to go vegan as it is to have peace IMO - ie. only if something forces them into it. I believe the human mind is capable of peace but for so long we have had a culture of exploitation that most of us have become infected by it. If you base futre predictions on past history then 'world peace' is just a dream like utopia.

I was thinking free will. It'd have to be free will for people to really understand it.
    Eat your veggies!

African_Prince

Quote leedsveg View Post
    Sorry no. You only have to look on the internet and many people who claim to be vegan are very disturbed people indeed. They may 'love animal animals' but just can't deal with human animals.

leedsveg
    Co-signs, especially considering my experiences on veggieboards.com. A vegan world would still be a better world.

ok adl just wondered

Vegan police sound really scary, too, kind of like the thought police from 1984.
    Eat your veggies!

yes I agree!

I agree with the person who said the world would be "better" at least- African prince.

You know what might bring world peace? Read the first page on www.oneworldgovernment.org.

Vegan police makes me think of Scott Pilgrim lol

ug! I hated that film......... sorry VeganBride

Lol that's alright, I quite expected people on here to hate it - was it because of that vegan guy or you just hated it in general? I don't really know how I feel about that bit, although I just take it lighthearted really - and I appreciate the line about vegans being better than everyone else lol
    anywayy that aside, the editing on that film was immense ^_^
    I saw Scott Pilgrim and Grown Ups on the same day, and found it funny that they both had a vegan character in, which never happens lol. How good the representations were I'm not so sure though

I had to look Scott Pilgrim up on wikipedia…
    Eat your veggies!

Well I didnt like the film before the vegan bit, I really loved hot fuzz, shawn of the dead, spaced and I was expecting something more on that line, more funnyness (or at least what I called funny) and I really didnt relate well to Scott he didnt have any of my sympathy............. and then the vegan bit really offended me :-( it wasnt that the guy was vegan and had 'vegan powers' (stopped by the vegan police) it was more that he was violent toward women and it was made into a joke ('you hit the highlights out of her hair') thats just not funny

sorry adl nothing to do with world peace

no, because i believe peoples heart can be darker than the night and there will always be jealousy, competition and unfairness.

Ahh yeah I can see where you're coming from with that, especially since you'd already got something you weren't expecting. I expected something along the lines of Kick Ass which I really liked and that's pretty much what it was. I'm also a huge retro video games fan and studying to be a Film Editor so it was pretty much candy to me lol.
    But yeah back on the vegan world front, it'd definately make life a whole lot easier knowing that nothing had animal products in or had been tested on animals because it had been made by vegans. Sounds like a dream come true! Although I know a guy who's vegan who is REALLY into war, loves it :/ So probably would be far from peaceful as vegan or not vegan everyone's different.

It's hard to say but I am going to say yes. Why? True veganism is about respecting all life forms: all animals. Humans are animals, and if we respect all animals, including humans, the way we should then there would be no war. I am going by if everyone followed a vegan lifestyle, not just a vegan diet. I believe we may one day see a nearly vegan world. Where the omnivores will be the minority and meat consumption will be outlawed in most places. Of course there will always be a few psychopaths out there who will harm both humans and non-human animals alike. Meat smuggling anyone? But I have hope. And without that I don't think I could go on.
    "There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle." -Robert Alden

Quote adl View Post
    Would a vegan world mean world peace?
    Depends on how a vegan world came about ...

If it came about through love of animals then probably not.

If it came about through rejection of violence as a matter of inviolable principle then almost definitely so.

It's a part of ahimsic 'logic' that a population who's rejection of violence, on inviolable principle, has extended so far as a rejection of violence against other species that such a population can never be moved to acts of violence against it's own.

Equaly it's a part of the logic of violence that where violence against other species can be maintained as both acceptable and necessary that that population can easily, when its masters need it to be, motivated to perform acts of violence against their own.

Personaly I have long since been convinced of this: The institutionalised promotion of the meat industry and oppositiuon to veg*ism is for that exact reason. A meat eating popluation can easily be turned to killing it's own kind whereas a population that regards violence against mere animals as totally unnaceptable never could be.

Basicaly I believe the establishment interest in keeping its populations as commited and unquestioning animal killers is so that, when 'needed', the establishment has a population that can be swiftly transformed into committed and unquestioning killers of their fellow man.

Evidence in support of my theory includes, but is not limited to, the 'animalisation' of the enemy when govts are preparing for war. Make the enemy more 'animal'/less 'man' and your meat eater population has no real moral barrier to their slaughter from that point on ...
    All done in the best possible taste ...

Zero

Quote leedsveg View Post
    I agree with this.

leedsveg

Quote Zero View Post
    I agree with this.
    Which leads me to the thought, Zero, perhaps these people misunderstood what veganism is, and were never vegan in the first place? But if they were vegan, did their veganism just evaporate over the years, without them realising? I find it difficult to imagine people with hatred in their hearts, whether or not they claim to be vegans, helping bring in world peace.

lv

Zero

The world is unbalanced and people are greedy and will still want power regardless of veganism. As a species we have an amazing way of rationalising and ignoring how unfair we are with each other. Even if we all went vegan I don't see this changing.