Thread: Non-Gassy Legumes

Unhappy Non-Gassy Legumes

Hey there, I'm a new vegan and I don't have a lot of experience with legumes. I've been reading online and it seems that everyone has a different opinion on which legumes don't give you gas. I read that it helps to soak them longer and maybe cook them longer. I've also read that chickpeas are the least gas-causing. Is there a good rule of thumb for which beans are the least gassy?

Default Re: Non-Gassy Legumes

Hello periwinkle7 - I don't find legumes are gas-causing (though other foods such as wholewheat are for me) so it could be an individual thing and you could be lucky.

I think you have hit the nail on the head about cooking them thoroughly, and if you're not used to them I also wouldn't have too many at once to begin with - that goes for any high-fibre food really.

If some are worse than others someone here is sure to know although again it could be an individual thing. Small ones such as mung or aduki beans and lentils may be easier to prepare because they soak and cook faster (well you don't really need to soak lentils at all usually).

thanks!

Just adding my two cents...

When using canned beans, drain the liquid and rinse well. When using dried beans, discard the soaking water and rinse well. The liquid/soaking water contains a lot of the gas causing "stuff" (can't think of the right word now).
    Peace, love, and happiness.

I think too there is an element of adjustment required, the length of which will vary from individual to individual. We eat a far larger proportion of legumes in our diet than the average person, plus naturally high-fibre foods. But we've eaten like that for decades and have very little trouble with gas; more often, a case of number twos twice a day! (Does that make four?)

When soaking the beans, add a teaspoon or two of vinegar to the soaking water - it is said to help, though don't take my word for it.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

I find sprouted legumes to be okay if I don't eat too many (otherwise I get bellyache).

Quote DavidT View Post

When soaking the beans, add a teaspoon or two of vinegar to the soaking water - it is said to help, though don't take my word for it.
    I thought it was baking soda? My aunt and grandma (great cooks) swear by baking soda.

RubyDuby

My mom swears that drinking a glass of water with baking soda mixed in neutralizes the smell of gas.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

It apparently helps with heartburn. So does dulce seaweed too.

If you're making a Middle Eastern, Indian, or Mexican inspired bean dish, add generous amounts of cumin. Cumin helps with gas.

It helps to cook legumes with a piece of kombu (a kind of seaweed) - it's supposed to make them more digestible. Soaking them with kombu may help too (not sure though).
    Perhaps bay leaves have the same effect? Someone else will have to verify that, as I'm not sure.