Thread: Bill Clinton's experiments with a 'near vegan' diet in the news

Default Bill Clinton's experiments with a 'near vegan' diet in the news

After Chelsea Clinton's vegan friendly wedding earlier this year, there's now more news about the Clinton family and eating vegan. Apparently Bill Clinton is now experimenting with a near vegan diet - for health reasons, and has been doing that since before his daughter's wedding.

It's interesting to see how various sites present this info. According to ecorazzi.com, Clinton goes "Vegetarian And Dairy-Free For Chelsea’s Very Vegan Wedding".

Examiner.com posts an interview with Clinton, here: President Bill Clinton discusses his near-vegan diet .

According to change.org, former president Clinton goes vegan , even if he hasn't really done that (yet?), but at least they know he is a former president, unlike the writers at vodpod.com, who calls him 'president Bill Clinton'. At least where, I live, we stop calling people presidents when they aren't presidents anymore. But maybe that's just here?

According to a source mentioned here, "Clinton decided to adopt the diet in the early part of May. While he does occasionally eat fish, the former president otherwise follows a strict vegan diet." And "According to our source, Clinton has read many books on the topic, including books by [Ph. D] T. Colin Campbell, Caldwell Esselstyn [MD] and Dr. Dean Ornish. Although losing weight was a benefit of the dietary change, the choice to go vegan was about more than just losing weight."

The article continues:
    “I’ve never known him not to say what’s on his mind,” says our source. “And he knows quite a bit and likely has a lot to say about the benefits of a vegan diet. He has read The China Study, and he knows the issues. With time, I think it’s likely he could become the most outspoken proponent of a complete vegan diet.”"
    It's always good news when someone goes vegan or near vegan. Some people are more influential than others, and Clinton (influenced by respected people like Campbell, Esseltyn and Ornish) could make a big difference in terms of making veganism more widespread.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Default Re: Bill Clinton's experiments with a 'near vegan' diet in the news

interesting, thanks.

It's good to hear him talking about it in person, so to speak. I think actually hearing him say those things will have a greater influence on others.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Yeah, this is great news, especially as he used to be such a keen consumer of horrible things.
    By the way, former presidents of the USA get to keep the title for life, so calling him President Clinton is correct (which means that we still have two Presidents Bush, alas )
    Live and let live

By the way, former presidents of the USA get to keep the title for life
    Aha. Learning something new every day.

It's interesting that while the current president has Gandhi as a hero of his, Al Gore is traveling around the world preaching the same environmental message that hippies and eco-activists promoted in the 60s, and Clinton is having a Near Vegan Experience - USA - at least outside USA - still is famous their all their military interventions and their defense of death penalty. If these guys are so...'humane', isn't a major change due in America soon?

http://www.examiner.com/article/form...-saved-my-life

Former president Bill Clinton turns 66: 'A vegan diet saved my life'

Former U.S. president Bill Clinton celebrated his 66th birthday on Aug. 19, 2012, and is leaner and healthier than ever, thanks to a vegan diet.
    Clinton switched to a plant-based diet in 2011 and lost 24 pounds several months later. The previous year, he had two stents placed in his coronary artery after having undergone a quadruple heart-bypass surgery in 2004.
    Bill, who has a family history of heart disease and struggled with weight for years, credited his new diet for saving his life.

Quote Korn View Post
    If these guys are so...'humane', isn't a major change due in America soon?
    Don't hold your breath Korn (:
    Tanya

Al Gore also seems to move towards a vegan diet:
    http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/201...f-bill-clinton

Quote Korn View Post
    Al Gore also seems to move towards a vegan diet:
    http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/201...f-bill-clinton
    He is so well-respected that I hope he sets a good example, but I generally don't place much faith in high-profile people who dabble in veganism.
    Houmous atá ann!

Haha, I agree, Al Gore is well respected ... But people are still destroying the environment, although he suggested that practice should stop...

best regards,
    andy

...and even if he for some reason wouldn't set a good example, it's always good that the term 'vegan' is associated with people who are well known to the public.