Thread: Simplifying the board rules

Default Simplifying the board rules

Hi, I've been wanting to make the board rules shorter and more... 'focused' than the existing ones for a while, without changing our policy.

Here's what I've come up with so far. I'll post the existing rules in the next post, even if they already can be read in the FAQ/Guidelines link above.

----------------------------

First, the short version of our rules: This forum a reserved for friendly communication between vegans; a 'sanctuary' for vegans who basically agree in and trust in how this site is run. Don't be nasty. Avoid spam. Try to make sense. Do not post anything which might be interpreted as if you support/justify/are involved in breaking laws for any reason, links to sites which directly or indirectly contain such material.

Democracy and freedom of speech on internet is a lot about finding a forum/site you are compatible with. This site is reserved for the 99(+)% vegans which do *not* belong to this group. This site is reserved for the 99+ % vegans which think that respect for other living beings, not wanting to hurt others etc. applies to both non-human and human animals.

1) Show respect. Discuss viewpoints, not personalities. No condescending posts, please. If you criticize a member's viewpoints, explain why you have come to the conclusion you have - not only the conclusion itself. Back up your claims with quotes. Avoid repeated verbal friction/criticism against any member here. No name calling, patronizing or rude comments, condescending posts or verbal attacks on anyone that can be identified. Don't nourish conflicts, trolls or rude posters. Report spam/rude posts/trolls etc if necessary.

2) Be vegan. Consider veganforum.com a friendly dinner party for vegans. Don't use our forum to try to change veganism to something else than it is.

3) Non-vegans may register in order to subscribe to threads they are interested in, but will have limited access. They may also ask questions in the Going Vegan section, and disagree with us in the Vegan/Non-Vegan Discussion area. (Non-vegans, please also see #7/8/9/10 below.)

4) Real (two-way!) communication. No Hit-And-Run attacks please (we'll just delete them anyway)! If you mainly seem to be here to promote their own sites/companies/ideologies etc., or generally spread negativity - you'll account will be deactivated.

5) Privacy protection. Don't share (or ask for) private info about anyone. Don't discuss members of other forums here - or discuss any of our members on other forums. If you refer to being a nutritionalist, medical doctor or similar, please use your real name. Remember that an internet forum is 'mass media'. By posting messages on this forum, you accept that what you have written is public domain.

6) Make sense. Be honest, straightforward, and try to make sense. Don't 'play games' with the rules, and avoid taking threads too far off topic.

7) Legal/illegal. Don't post anything which supports/promotes/defends - or is about being involved in - anything illegal (like illegal drugs or illegal activism). Don't post links to sites which contains such articles or which contain links to similar material/sites.

8) Spam and posting. No product/opinion/company/organization spam - or religious/atheist preaching, please. Only share links to anti-vegan writings if you also contribute to killing the myths they are creating. Vegans can post links to their blogs etc. Please post links only once (not in your signature).

9) Be constructive. Ideas re. how we can improve the forum are always welcome! However, if you find that you keep posting negative comments about our forum/rules/moderation/vegans/veganism in general - remember that VF is reserved for people who who basically trust and agree in how this site is run, like it here, and respect our simple rules.

10) Moderation. Being a member here does not automatically mean access to all areas, to unmoderated posting, to the Private Message feature - or to use avatars/signatures. We may delete/moderate accounts and posts/threads for any reason, without further explanation.

Some tips and info:

User names. Don't use links to other sites - or names of organizations or companies - as user names.
    Approval. It may take some days to get your account approved. If you post before this happens, your posts will need a manual approval before it shows up, which also may take some time.
    Access. Vegans/full members may go to Settings>Permission Groups for more info about access to all areas. You need to join Permission Groups to get access to some of our subforums.
    Short quotes. If you refer to an earlier post, please quote (only) the part you want to comment.
    Contact. If you want to contact moderators or admins (eg. to have your account upgraded when you go vegan), contact us via email/private messages rather than in forum threads. Use the Contact US-link on the main page if needed.
    Search for existing threads before starting new ones. Search in titles only is useful. (Try Google with site:veganforum.com as part of the search string)
    Celery. Don't forget the initiation ritual for newcomers. To participate, you need a stick of celery, a small scooter and a large elderly gentleman.

Disclaimer: It is impossible for us to review all messages, and we can't promise to respond to all emails. All messages express the views of the author. Neither the owners or admin/moderators of our site, the developers of vBulletin or server owners will be held responsible for the content of any public or private message.
    Last edited by Korn; Sep 7th, 2011 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Updated with the latest version
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Default Re: Simplifying the board rules

The existing ones:

1) All regular members here are vegans: against killing, harming, hurting and exploiting animals and humans, and avoid use of animal products as much as possible and practical.
    2) Others may register in order to subscribe to threads they are interested in. Non-vegans may only post questions in the Going Vegan subforum. If they go vegan, they will get normal access by sending us a note via the Contact Us-link on our front page.
    3) Don't share links to anti-vegan articles/sites unless you also contribute to kill the myths they are creating. Don't use links to other sites or names of organizations or companies as user names. This forum is about two-way communication; we expect people to participate and respond in the discussions. No Hit-And-Run attacks please! We may disable accounts belonging to members who seem to have registered only to promote their own sites/companies/ideologies.
    4) Don't share private information about about anyone but yourself, or ask for such info. Don't share emails/messages from others..
    5) Consider VF a dinner party where vegans are invited to friendly communication.
    6) Always treat others with respect. If you disagree with someone, discuss their viewpoints, not their personalities. Don't trigger/nourish personal conflicts or meaningless friction. Report posts if you feel that you/someone aren't treated with respect. Don't respond to trolls. No human-hating posts, please, and no personal attacks on, or private info about celebrities, ex-wives, forum members, co-workers or anyone else that can be identified!
    7) Don't post anything that might be interpreted as supporting (being involved in, defending, justifying/glorifying) anything illegal. Don't promote sites which support/promote illegal activities - or link to sites, books or other media that do.
    8) If you criticize, demonstrate your good intensions by quoting what it is you refer to.
    9) Links to relevant sites are welcome. Please post your link only once - as a message in a relevant thread: No product/opinion/company/organization/spam or religious (/atheist) preaching in signatures/avatars/messages.
    10) Full members may go to Settings to add a signature, avatar etc. Being a VF member doesn't automatically mean access to all areas or the Private Message feature.
    11) Don't discuss specific members of other forums, and don't discuss any of our members on other forums. The vegan movement doesn't need a 'war' between various vegan sites. To be critical to the way others inform about ie. veganism or nutrition is of course welcome, but no name calling please.
    12) Don't use our forum to try to change veganism to something else than it is.
    13) You need to be 13 years old or above to be a member here.
    14) This site is for people who like it here, and who trust and basically agree in how the site is run. We encourage constructive, concrete ideas regarding how we can improve the forum. If your intension seems to be to provoke, stir up trouble, patronize others, or just spread negativity or attacks on others - don't!
    15) We reserve the right to delete/moderate accounts and posts - and disable features - for any reason, without further explanation. By posting messages on this forum, you accept that your writing now is public domain.
    16) Be honest, make sense, and don't play games with the rules.
    17) Avoid taking threads too far off topic, and please search for existing threads before you start new ones.
    18) Don't post questions to moderators or admins in regular threads - use PMs or email instead.
    19) If you refer to being a nutritionalist, medical doctor or similar in the forum posts, please use your full name.
    20) Don't forget the initiation ritual for newcomers. To participate, you need a stick of celery, a small scooter and a large elderly gentleman.
    Last edited by Korn; Sep 7th, 2011 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Updated with the current version

leedsveg

Hi Korn
    As the 'new rules' appear to be slightly different to the old ones and include some significant 'new features', will we have to 'sign up' for them?

lv

There shouldn't be any differences (except in the wording)... but I'm not 100% sure. Which changes are you thinking of?

leedsveg

Old rule 20 for a start....

Ok I should have looked more carefully. Sorry.

leedsveg

(I'm now attacking myself with a stick of celery!)

Quote Korn View Post
    To participate, you need a stick of celery, a small scooter and a large elderly gentleman.:

Well I for one am very disappointed with the changes. This is my first post to the forum, and I'd got my celery, scooter and elderly gentleman all lined up and rearing to go...........................
    Gill.

In such severe cases, we're always open for special arrangements.

Quote Korn View Post
    In such severe cases, we're always open for special arrangements.
    I'm sorry, you're too late, the celery's gone all limp, and so has the elderly gentleman

I suggest merging rules 9 and 6 and losing rule 12 entirely making it 10 rules which people would be more willing to read imho.

leedsveg

Quote Risker View Post
    I suggest merging rules 9 and 6 and losing rule 12 entirely making it 10 rules which people would be more willing to read imho.
    Hi Risker
    I wouldn't want to lose rule 12 because if a member feels a need to contact a mod/admin (but it's not a 'report post situation'), there's more chance an ordinary posting might get overlooked, compared to a pm/email.

But the idea of having exactly 10 rules somehow appeals to me, probably a throwback to the 10 Commandments of my Sunday school days.

lv

Quote leedsveg View Post
    Hi Risker
    I wouldn't want to lose rule 12 because if a member feels a need to contact a mod/admin (but it's not a 'report post situation'), there's more chance an ordinary posting might get overlooked, compared to a pm/email.
    It's not really a rule though is it, more a suggestion on how to use the forum.

leedsveg

You're right Risker that it's a suggestion rather than a rule. I can only imagine that it's included with the rules to 'tidy things up'.

lv

Hi all,

does any of you have more suggestions for fine tuning of the simplified board rules before I put them into the FAQ section? Can the rules become even simpler? Anything which is missing?

I was considering adding something a la 'Veganism is about compassion for animals. Remember that humans - even meat eaters - are animals too'... but this of somehow wrong, since there are vegans and even animal rights activists who don't even like animals much (but are against all forms of injustice). Suggestions for a better wording is welcome.

leedsveg

Hi Korn

My only suggestion would be to add (unless I've missed it) some mention of the "ignore facility" (in settings). Use of this facility can help prevent friction between forum members who, for whatever reason, and with the best will in the world, just don't "get on" with each other.

Leedsveg

Quote Korn View Post
    I was considering adding something a la 'Veganism is about compassion for animals. Remember that humans - even meat eaters - are animals too'... but this of somehow wrong, since there are vegans and even animal rights activists who don't even like animals much (but are against all forms of injustice). Suggestions for a better wording is welcome.
    I would have thought that was OK - as you don't have to like something to have compassion for it?

True, but there are also AR activists who say that they don't have any particular compassion for animals - or even like animals. The compassion is for justice, I guess.