Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: "If you don't eat that chicken, I'll kill this chicken"

Default Re: "If you don't eat that chicken, I'll kill this chicken"

I would offer the person to pistol whip me in the face instead of the other two options.

Do you take being vegan as a personal set of guidelines? That nothing from an animal will ever be eaten by you. Or do you look at it as "for the better good". Like I was saying Another interesting one would be this.

Would you live out the rest of your life as an omnivore, if it meant that at that moment 5 omnivores would live out the rest of their lives as vegans? No trickery or distrust as with the gun wielding chicken lunatic Again, I have no idea how I would answer that. 5 vegans are better than one, but how would I feel having to go back to eating meat? You lose either way, but which one?

Err.. so presumably you could persuade an omnivore to take on the job of becoming that omnivore which "made" five omnivores live out their lives as vegans?

Or would that be too hypothetical?

I think it is great that people search out new ways of making the world a better place. Also it is healthy for people to question the consequences of their principles, and the bases of those principles.
    Let us not forget what we were doing before we "identified" strongly with someone else's definition.
    These kind of words are the crust of the meaning.

If you find a better way, and you are sure that it is better, [and you don't need to bite us] then why not go for it?
    Problematic is waking someone whom pretends to sleep.

These sort of scenarios make my head hurt!
    I'm so glad being vegan is about so much more......................
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

No no It's got to be you personally or there's no point in thinking about it. I suppose you could just go to the meeting place (wherever that may be) and tell them that you're going to stay vegan. Then just run over the 5 omnivores who would have become vegan on your way out Lol

Quote sandra View Post
    These sort of scenarios make my head hurt!
    I'm so glad being vegan is about so much more......................
    Lol, me too I've never been so clueless about what I'd do.

I bet you're not 'clueless' at all. I think us vegans know exactly what the right thing to do is at ALL times.................well, I always do!

Quote sandra View Post
    I bet you're not 'clueless' at all. I think us vegans know exactly what the right thing to do is at ALL times.................well, I always do!
    Is that so? Then how would this scenario play out for you?

You could suggest that four of the omnivores become vegans and the fifth keeps eating meat. Exactly the same consequences!

If they say that's not what they want (a vegan to compromise their values), ask them WHY? They're just messing with you. Idiots.

Quote fiver View Post
    You could suggest that four of the omnivores become vegans and the fifth keeps eating meat. Exactly the same consequences!

If they say that's not what they want (a vegan to compromise their values), ask them WHY? They're just messing with you. Idiots.
    Lol Nope, that's not part of the deal. Everyone's trying to find ways around it, but nobody gives a straight answer

Ok, here's my straight answer. I'm not a consequentialist, so I would not become an omnivore.

Quote fiver View Post
    Ok, here's my straight answer. I'm not a consequentialist, so I would not become an omnivore.
    The first answer. Good job

Quote Back-Space View Post
    Is that so? Then how would this scenario play out for you?
    Well, as it's such a ludicrous scenario I would answer it by posing a similarly ludicrous question such as...........

'Would you live out the rest of your life as a cannibal if it meant that 5 cannibals would live out the rest of their lives as non-cannibals?

Quote sandra View Post
    Well, as it's such a ludicrous scenario I would answer it by posing a similarly ludicrous question such as...........

'Would you live out the rest of your life as a cannibal if it meant that 5 cannibals would live out the rest of their lives as non-cannibals?
    Classic answer, Sandra!

Quote sandra View Post

Lol

Quote sandra View Post

Excellent!

That one realy would give an omni a bit of insight into how most vegans would feel about eating meat.

But what if you did ask an omni that and they said summat like "For the sake of the human lives it would save I would have to, sooooo ... Yes!" ?
    All done in the best possible taste ...

Well then I'd think that omni was particularly daft as those sort of questions/scenarios are so ridiculous they don't really warrant an answer!

"But what if you did ask an omni that and they said summat like "For the sake of the human lives it would save I would have to, sooooo ... Yes!" ?"
    You would point out that individuals have value beyond the numerical value they add to a total number. You would say that it is wrong to increase the likelihood of harm to individuals simply so that others can benefit, with only a few exceptions - self-defense by the innocent, punishment of the guilty, minimisation of the damage caused to those facing imminent and equal harm (or in some cases, unequal harm) and the neutralisation of threats posed by those not culpable for their actions. You would insist that all individuals be treated with respect.

Lightbulb Re: "If you don't eat that chicken, I'll kill this chicken"

"If you don't eat that chicken, I'll kill this chicken" That statement never claims whether the chicken you are supposed to eat is alive or not. The chicken could well be alive. So if he's holding a chicken in front of you and says eat this bird or I will kill that bird, I wouldn't eat the chicken because either way one bird is going to die whether it's the one I eat or the one the other party kills. Either way, I am not responsible for the death of this living being...the killer or the consumer is

I only just spied this post. Assuming the chicken in question was "a bucket of KFC" (ie. already dead); I would probably feel so sick at the thought of eating it (when I turned vegan I also became COMPLETELY turned off by the idea of eating anything animal derived at all), that despite "logically" wanting to save the live chicken I'm not sure I could do it. If it was live, I wouldn't do it either. In either case, I'd say "you are holding the gun, it's your choice not mine". I would also probably be scared I was about to get shot myself, so I'd be thinking about how to make them see reason; both about the chicken, and about letting go of the gun.

friendly fri

I found the entire thing totally disgusting. Sorry i cannot help you.
    :D :)