Thread: Dog kicking!

Default Dog kicking!

Hi guys,

I was walking through High Wycombe today and there were about 6 people all hanging around outside a shut down shop drinking cider. They hang out there all the time. They had this Staffy with them and the poor thing was subject to them kicking it because it would 'sit' when they told it. The owner was striking it with his leash. It was really bad to see and I was very tempted to go over and say something but these guys are not the type to confront. What can be done? People were walking passed and seeing it happen but nobody did anything. I feel guilty!

Default Re: Dog kicking!

If they hang out there all the time perhaps you could inform the relevant 'animal cruelty' people of what is going on and they hopefully could intervene.

What a horrible situation all round............that poor little dog, something has to be done about it.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

cobweb

Yes, please get in touch with your local RSPCA officer, dog warden (available through the local council) and/or animal rescue charity. Someone from one of these places should be able to go along and do something.

I cringe every time I see those sort of people with their trophy Staffies, and I have stepped in before when I saw one being kicked. I nearly got a good kicking myself but I literally couldn't keep quiet.

As a nation of 'animal lovers' I think we all need to speak out against this kind of thing. In fact, if you see these sub-humans again you could also call the Police as there are some fairly stringent laws against kicking dogs around these days. You could also video or photograph them on your mobile phone for evidence. Don't just walk on by, please .

Quote cobweb View Post
    You could also video or photograph them on your mobile phone for evidence.
    Sounds like the best idea to me!

Problem with a dog is, that even if abused, it will still defend it's 'pack'. Kinda like even you did go and go give the louts a swift back-hander,or three, it would almost certianly be you the dog gets its teeth stuck into. They go for the groin too, I've been told.

Staffies aren't funny either. My neighbours one once decided to kill their giant poodle by choking it to death with a throat bite. The staffie thought it was nothing but a big game when it's owner beat it repeatedly, with all of her strength, over the head with a garden spade in a vain attempt to get the damn thing off.

Filming as evidence for the appropriate authorites definitely seems like the best thing to do to me.
    All done in the best possible taste ...

Quote Cupid Stunt
    They go for the groin too, I've been told.

Staffies aren't funny either. My neighbours one once decided to kill their giant poodle by choking it to death with a throat bite. The staffie thought it was nothing but a big game when it's owner beat it repeatedly, with all of her strength, over the head with a garden spade in a vain attempt to get the damn thing off.
    Staffies are gorgeous dogs, very intelligent and love people.

Of course they will bite and even kill other animals, same as any dog, if they are not trained properly. They were originally bred to be fighting dogs, that is why the staffie would have "choked" the other dog. They were also bred specifically so that they would attack other dogs but not people, so that their owner could pull them out of the pit without being harmed. It is also why staffies are incredibly loyal and very protective of their owners.

It's very sad that it happened, but that was not the dogs fault. It is partly instinct but mostly poor training. If anyone should be blamed it is the owner of the staffie.

I adore staffies and own one myself. It really upsets me that I will hear people telling their children not to go near my dog, or ask me if they can pet it, or they will talk amongst themselves about how staffies are violent dogs. It's not true! It's stupid, irresponsible people ruining a perfectly lovely breed. My dog is very well trained and has never hurt anyone. I hate that people use them as status symbols.

If you see them again, film it, try to find out if anyone knows who they are, and report them.

Quote Mollfie View Post
    Staffies are gorgeous dogs, very intelligent and love people.

Of course they will bite and even kill other animals, same as any dog, if they are not trained properly. They were originally bred to be fighting dogs, that is why the staffie would have "choked" the other dog. They were also bred specifically so that they would attack other dogs but not people, so that their owner could pull them out of the pit without being harmed. It is also why staffies are incredibly loyal and very protective of their owners.

It's very sad that it happened, but that was not the dogs fault. It is partly instinct but mostly poor training. If anyone should be blamed it is the owner of the staffie.

I adore staffies and own one myself. It really upsets me that I will hear people telling their children not to go near my dog, or ask me if they can pet it, or they will talk amongst themselves about how staffies are violent dogs. It's not true! It's stupid, irresponsible people ruining a perfectly lovely breed. My dog is very well trained and has never hurt anyone. I hate that people use them as status symbols.

If you see them again, film it, try to find out if anyone knows who they are, and report them.
    Agreed. I love Staffies. It makes me so sad that there are so many unwanted Staffies in rescue too because of their undeserved reputation.
    Last edited by Holly78; Oct 3rd, 2010 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Typo
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"