Thread: Worthenshaws Freedom ice cream

Default Worthenshaws Freedom ice cream

My OH came back from sainsburys this morning with a tub of vanilla ice cream. It's rather tasty, not as good as booja booja but slightly cheaper and easier to get hold of. Apparantly it was on dragon's den.

http://www.worthenshaws-freedom.co.uk/

Default Re: Worthenshaws freedom ice cream

Sounds great. I'll find out if my local Sainsbury's sells it.
    "The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for whites or women for men." ~Alice Walker.

I got some today in Sainsburys. It says 'chocolate frozen dessert' on the carton. It isn't as nice as Booja booja or Swedish Glace but it's not bad!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

cobweb

I had this yesterday and HATED it!!. It just tastes like (expensive) slightly creamy sorbet to me

Good description Cobweb.............why didn't I think of that!

I've tried all 3 flavours.

I'm really unimpressed by it - Swedish Glace is far cheaper (even at half price) and much nicer.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

We tried the vanilla flavour at the weekend and it's definitely not getting bought again! It's overly vanilla- flavoured but with a slightly thicker consistancy of sorbet. Which I never liked! Swedish Glace wins again.

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    I've tried all 3 flavours.

I'm really unimpressed by it - Swedish Glace is far cheaper (even at half price) and much nicer.
    Spot on as always, Mr Flibble!

leedsveg

I'll give it a try, when I can find it...

lv

cobweb

the chocolate is marginally better...........

I'll try it when I see it. TBH Swedish Glace always wins for me. I find the vanilla flavour better than anything on this Earth, including BoojaBooja.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

I must be the odd one out because I enjoyed it but really didn't like swedish glace at all. Booja booja wins out for me though.

I have tried the chocolate one! It was "okay"...alas the shops round here no longer sell Swedish Glace!!
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Do you live in an alternate reality where you are being punished for something you did in a past life?
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

More than likely...lol Slowly all shops seem to be getting rid of it, H&B sometimes has it for like £3 for ice cream so frozen it has disintergrated. lol
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

I thought this was awful, I tried both the chocolate and strawberry varieties. It just tastes like ice cream watered down. Very disappointed.

I might as well just pay an extra £1.50 for Booja Booja as it costs £3.99 in Sainsbury! I tried the strawberry one yesterday and it doesn't have a creamy ice cream consistency at all.

The texture is really different to other alternatives, but I personally really like the strawberry and chocolate ones. The vanilla is kind of awful though... and tastes like a mixture of ice and sentless perfume D:
    On the positive side I love the chocolate one, and the strawberry one is nice allthough it has a bit of a weird after taste It's really low calorie and fat too
    "Life is life – whether in a cat, or dog or man. The idea of difference is a human conception for man’s own advantage."

Quote hullabaloo View Post
    really didn't like swedish glace at all.
    *Drops Dead*
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

I bought the strawberry one and it was lovely.
    "The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for whites or women for men." ~Alice Walker.

leedsveg

OMG. Just seen it in Sainsburys at £3.99 for 480ml, Swedish Glace was £1.99 for 750ml. In other words, weight for weight, Worthenshaws (made in England) was over 3 times as expensive as Glace (made in Sweden) and also, by popular opinion on VF, not as tasty. I really like the lass who designed the stuff and her presentation on Dragons Den and I'm glad that it's endorsed by the Vegan Society (UK) but at £3.99 for a small tub, the aroma I'm getting is "rip-off". Hate to think how much she was charging before she appeared on Dragons Den if the economies of scale have now kicked in.

leedsveg

Just tried this for the first time, got it on sale for £1.99 from Tesco's.

Like has been said, it's a bit watery, the water affects the texture too by causing crystals in it making it more like a sorbet. It really needs more fat to improve the texture and flavour but unfortunately they've decided to make it low fat.

I did enjoy it (had the chocolate one) but would much rather have swedish glace.

It's nice to have more brands at the Market though and it's good that they're different. There are sooo many dairy icecreams on the Market! Wish I could try it now, but will definitely try it nextvtime I'm in the UK.

I normally prefer chocolate flavour ice creams (eg Swedish Glace) but I wasn't keen on the Worthenshaws chocolate. I really liked the vanilla one though. Shame it is so hard to find.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

cobweb

^ blimey we have it in Asda, Tesco and Sainsburys here, but I think its awful!

I discovered why I couldn't find it - because it isn't with the ice creams, it's in the 'free from' freezer section (in Sainsburys at least). I never have much space in the freezer so rarely look at frozen savoury foods.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

leedsveg

Bought the chocolate one in Tesco for £2, roughly half-price. Thought it tasted like frozen coco powder so I won't be buying it again.

Leedsveg

My mum saw they were on sale at £2 at asda, and bought 8 tubs, bless. This was before we had tried the stuff. Now we have a freezer drawer full of it and shE won't buy me more Swedish glacé til it's gone, which could take a long time.

I'm wondering if there's any way I can use it to cook or bake something, get rid of it faster :P

Pull the plug on the fridge.

Better yet, if you have any dead fuses - swap it with the good one already in the plug.

"Wow, that's unfortunate! After we just got all that ice-cream and all. Gutting."
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

leedsveg

Is there anybody out there who paid full price (£3.99) for their first tub and subsequently paid full price for their second?

lv

Make milkshakes with it?

Quote Gwydion View Post
    Pull the plug on the fridge.

Better yet, if you have any dead fuses - swap it with the good one already in the plug.

"Wow, that's unfortunate! After we just got all that ice-cream and all. Gutting."
    Lol!!!! Thanks for that idea. Sadly it's a pretty big freezer so there's just one drawer of freedom ice cream, and all the other drawers are full of actual nice things that are worth eating :P

Quote khadagan View Post
    Make milkshakes with it?
    Ooh I might try it. It might turn out as bleh milkshakes rather than bleh ice cream but it's worth a shot!

Got some from Tesco! It's really hard finding anything like this around here. The chocolate is ok, it tastes a bit watery though.
    "Nobody can come up with a good argument for eating animals — nobody can." - Morrissey

leedsveg

If I didn't know better, I'd say Glace was the more expensive product and Worthenshaws was the cheapo stuff. Cannot see me buying W's again.

Leedsveg

In Booths, I've discovered another Wortenshaws ice cream called CocoNice. It is really, really tasty and at £1.99 f0r a 500ml tub, it is reasonably priced too.

I like the chocolate version (and I really like that it's low calorie!), I'd buy it again. The strawberry and the vanilla versions were not so good.

I can't eat Swedish Glace because of the soya. It makes me sick.

Quote aliaslotte View Post
    In Booths, I've discovered another Wortenshaws ice cream called CocoNice. It is really, really tasty and at £1.99 f0r a 500ml tub, it is reasonably priced too.
    I think Coconice and Freedom are the same product, I bought a litre tub of Coconice from a shop in Manchester (from what I can remember it was quite reasonably priced) about a year ago and then a couple of months later read in the paper that Supermarkets where going to sell the product under the "Freedom" name (with the obvious price hike to rip off consumers).

As for the product itself, I have have bought all 3 flavours when they were 1/2 price in Asda and wouldn't buy them again unless every shop in a 50 mile radius stopped selling Booja Booja, Swedish Glace and Ricecream.

That notwithstanding, I have a great deal of respect for the lady who invented the stuff (especially when it was cheaper) and who knows maybe she will even improve the taste one day.

I wqas really quite impressed with it. I must say, I do prefer the SG chocolate one, but the only other flavour my local holland and barretts does is blueberry, and blueberry icecream doesn't really appeal to me. I haven't tried the Booja Booja, which shops stock it?

kikfromscotland: post your spare icecream to me. i'll find it a good home in my tummy

Quote ZoeP View Post
    I wqas really quite impressed with it. I must say, I do prefer the SG chocolate one, but the only other flavour my local holland and barretts does is blueberry, and blueberry icecream doesn't really appeal to me. I haven't tried the Booja Booja, which shops stock it?

kikfromscotland: post your spare icecream to me. i'll find it a good home in my tummy
    The only places close to Preston (That I know of) are Birkdale health food shop and the 8th Day Co-operative in Manchester.
    I would recommend getting it from Goodness Direct (when placing an order for other frozen stuff - minimum order for frozen is 6 items) so it will be delivered right to your door.
    I would say that Coconut Hullabaloo and Vanilla are my favourite (both are very nice) when I have the money, but after finishing my last tub I opened some SG vanilla and I think I am starting to prefer this. On the plus side the Booja Vanilla is alot healthier than SG but far more expensive.

I do love 8th day, think that was the first place i did my vegan happy dance