Thread: Kelp! Kelp! I'm being oppressed!

Default Kelp! Kelp! I'm being oppressed!

Sorry about the title folks, just happen to have a particular line from Monty Python stuck in my head at the moment

Anyways ...

Just found this article http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39421611...s-going_green/ on an attempt to get commercialy grown kelp into the mainstream market as a food stuff.

Can't quite get my sceptism under control enough to be thinking that the salad dodgers will not want to eat this stuff. More likely that they will find it can be shovelled into cows, and the like, to further swell McMurders and Kentucky Fried Cruelties already vast flocks and herds.

Any one got any thoughts or more info, or owt?
    All done in the best possible taste ...

Default Re: Kelp! Kelp! I'm being oppressed!

In UK, I have to go to a Thai grocery store I know to get Wakame seaweed (as I can't find it in supermarkets). I dunno about Kelp. Wakame is so good, I have it with cucumber in a 'rice vinegar/caster sugar/soy sauce' dressing with a few sesame seeds; it's a kind of 'Japanese salad' recipe I've got.

I can't understand how some people can be repulsed by the idea of eating seaweed ; it's so delicious , much better than the corpses they eat, that's for sure.
    "The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for whites or women for men." ~Alice Walker.

I can't stand any of the sea vegetables unfortunately, however I do eat them by chopping them up really small and mashing them in with other things. The salty sea taste just reminds me of fish and the smell of fish makes me puke!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

I have to agree Emzy! Just the smell of seaweed/dulse etc makes me think of fish!
    Last year I tried making vegan sushi but the seaweed it was wrapped in just put me right off................I'm afraid it comes down to the smell!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

I can just about cope with nori but it has to be highly seasoned or again chopped up in other things.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

The vegan sushi looked so nice too and I put a lot of effort into making it. I got all the proper authentic ingredients and everything but it was just the smell of the nori that put me off!

I think too I was put of dulse because as a child I bought a bag of it, and found a little dead baby crab in it!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

I can imagine that one doesn't really like seaweed if one hates all things fish. It was just a few years ago last time I ate fish, and I did like it, as sushi too.
    So eating vegan sushi now suits my tastes very well, much better than non vegan actually. I bought a bag of dried wakame not so long ago, I did try putting some of it in my sushi, worked quite well as long as I did not put too much of it. Hmm, that Japanese seaweed salad sounds interesting!

Seaweed is awesome as food in all ways, it's both eco-friendly and healthy. I do believe and hope that people will consume it much more in the future instead of fish It just takes some time to get used to.

"Come and see the violence inherent in the system!" LOL!

You know, adding toasted sesame oil and a bit of tamari and lemon really does much to improve the taste of sea veg....just sayin'...

In a somewhat related issue: I take algal DHA as a supplement, rather than using the fish-based analogue. If only the algal type would bust on the commercial scene...

Seaweed doesn't taste like fish! Fish taste like seaweed!

I like seaweed but I dislike the texture when it's been reconstituted.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

I love seaweed, and I totally hated fish when I was omnivore, btw. I dunno why: fish was horrible for me, but seaweed is okay.
    "The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for whites or women for men." ~Alice Walker.

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    Seaweed doesn't taste like fish! Fish taste like seaweed!
    Exactly!

I love all kinds of seaweed ... nori, wakame, kombu (think that is kelp) ... nothing like a (vegan) miso soup to get me going...
    Also, this kind of seaweed has a long tradition in Asian cuisine (like tofu products).

Best regards,
    Andy

Has anyone used granulated kelp flakes in replace of table salt?

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    Has anyone used granulated kelp flakes in replace of table salt?
    hmm... no (not me), but it sounds yummy.

Definitely not replacing all salt but a few shakes here and there might be good. They sell kelp flakes in shakers here, so I'm assuming that's what it's for.