Thread: Winter Cold Cures

Default Winter Cold Cures

Has anyone got some good ideas for natural cold cures?

Back in the day it would always be honey and lemon, but since I don't do honey these days that's not an option.

To make this bug double the fun I'm 19 weeks pregnant, so there is rather a good wedge of cold cures I can't actually use as well.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

Default Re: Winter Cold Cures

Agave and lemon?

I made a drink out of hot water, sugar, lemon and crushed paracetamol once, worked really well, home made lemsip.

I don't think there's any concoction out there that's going to "cure" your cold. There are things that make it more bearable for me like herbal teas. I don't take any medications. The best thing you can do for yourself is REST, REST and REST. Also don't stop eating even if you don't feel hungry, if you don't eat properly it's only gonna make recovery slower. Try to force yourself to keep up on whatever your daily calorie requirements are. I find smoothies are a good way to do this because I don't particularly feel hungry when I'm sick, but smoothies don't necessarily feel like eating.

Rest and eat properly and you should be through it rather quickly. Don't and it's gonna take a while for your body to fight it off.

Thanks guys.

Pregnant ladies aren't supposed to eat Agave, but I had a go with golden syrup and lemon. Tasted hideous, but seemed to sooth the throat a bit. I might try the 'homemade lemsip' as that sounds great.

Thanks for the advice
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

Try thyme infusion tea (100% thyme). Just bought me some; it's great. I've not got a big cold (only a very slight one) and a herbalist recommended that to me.
    "The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for whites or women for men." ~Alice Walker.

I eat lots of fruit when I'm sick to boost my immune system, I think it helps hope you feel better soon. (oh and dont forget garlic but some people dont like it)

So how should I take garlic? Is it effective if the cold is already happening? I need to alleviate this cold as much as I possibly can and I'm trying to avoid taking any medication for it. The internet is a bit vague on how much I should take and how I should take it so I was hoping for some advice asap

Having massive quantities of garlic and vit c worked for me once- I drank a disgusting mix of garlic, salt and lemon juice three times a day plus 2-3 large glasses of orange juice when the symptoms of my cold first started and I never ended up getting a fully fledged cold and symptoms went away after 3 days.

The active antibiotic part in garlic is the small darker circle you see in the middle when you cut the clove open- sadly this is also the part that makes your breath and sweat smell.

I have heard that onions, zinc (in beans and nuts), and echinacea (or however you spell that) are all also good for fighting a cold. Generally best to eat as well as you can before the cold arrives, and hopefully your immune system will fight it off!

ummmm......well I just add more to my food when I feel rundown, just adding it to meals that I wouldnt normally have or putting more garlic in something that would have had garlic........... sorry i dont have real dose advice I just take as galic with meals untill I'm feeling better....... (lol sorry I realise that I sound a little vague as well)

I used to drink ginger tea: ginger, lemon + honey, although I am not using honey anymore. I have to substitute honey somehow, but I don't want to use a lot of sugar and without sweetener the tea is too spicy and gingery. I bought some date syrup now, I'll try it when I catch a cold.

Quote Bearshark View Post
    So how should I take garlic? Is it effective if the cold is already happening? I need to alleviate this cold as much as I possibly can and I'm trying to avoid taking any medication for it. The internet is a bit vague on how much I should take and how I should take it so I was hoping for some advice asap
    I would suggest to eat garlic on a piece of rye bread with some olive oil or margarine, like a sandwich. If you like garlic, it great. Also, try making some soup with lots of onions and chilli or cayene pepper. And ginger of course.I believe that spicy foods boost your immune system, so I guess it's always effective. It's possible to cure yourself from cold without medication!

I had some lemon and ginger tea earlier, I was worried about how it would taste but it turns out that I can't taste anything at the moment! I had some raw garlic earlier and I couldn't taste that either

Here's a recipe that I just came across that might help.

Serves 4
    15g root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
    4 teaspoons tea leaves
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 tablespoon sugar (or to taste)
    825ml water
    4 lemom slices to garnish

Boil water, let simmer with tea leaves, lemon juice and ginger for 3 minutes. Strain tea into glass/mug and garnish with lemon slices.
    Silence is golden, but duck tape is silver...