Thread: Live Hummingbird nest!

Default Live Hummingbird nest!

Hope this doesn't break any internet laws, but just wanted to share this link to a live hummingbird camera.

The mommy is called Pheobe and she has now finished her nest (about the size of a 'silver dollar', so like a 50p or 1euro coin?) and now has two tic tac sized eggs.

All together now....aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

http://phoebeallens.com/
    Silence is golden, but duck tape is silver...

Default Re: Live Hummingbird nest!

Thank you Tofukitty. I can't see much happening there but the nest is certainly an impressive feat of miniaturisation! Have you seen the actual Phoebe?

I have seen her, she's popping in and out alot. I have to correct some news, she hasn't finished her nest, there's still some fine tuning going on. If you can the volume up you can hear her buzz when she's coming in for a landing.

Really stupid, but I tuned in this morning to show my husband and the screen was black. It took me a second the realise that it was nighttime......

Heheh. That time difference is confusing. I have seen her as well now and several of my friends are watching, including one who's at a boring conference Thanks so much for posting the link.

She seems to be a very thorough nest-builder doesn't she?

I've had a look at some of the info on the site and Pheobe has been coming back to this rose bush for a few years now. And she has built a few nest in the same bush, 'borrows' bits from the last nest for the new one.

I can't wait to see babies. It's deceptive this camera thing, I keep forgetting how incredibily small it all is!

I saw that, I wonder if it's really always the same Phoebe that comes back, or perhaps her descendants? How long do they live I wonder?

I read that the finished nest is the size of a golfball. I look at the rose bush stem to remind myself of the scale..

I keep missing the daylight hours so haven't been able to confirm it myself, but I hear that Pheobe has laid an egg! A second one is surely on it's way as they usually lay in two's.

Finger's crossed that all goes well for this little one, no one harms it and it hatches healthy! Hope everyone gets a vote in names when it's born.

Edit: EEEEGGGGG!!!!!! Can confirm, we have an egg!! And that camera really makes it look much bigger than it is.

Phoebe has laid another egg at 7amish her time. There are videos of her laying them, just look above the chat box and click on videos.

She is sitting on her eggs quite a bit now, so a good time to have a look to see a live hummingbird up close.

kinda like this.....

Hope she's not planning more eggs, it looks a bit of a tight fit already! She is a very fine bird isn't she?

DIASTER!!! Both eggs were on the ground broken!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, all that work that this bird went through. I just hope it was an accident not anything sinister. Poor sweetie

Rocket Queen

She kicked them out apparently ?
    The greatest mistake is to do nothing because you can only do a little.

I saw one of the chatters said she'd tossed them out herself, so if that's right perhaps they just weren't viable. They seem to think she'll produce some more, anyway.

Well the word on the street seems to be Pheobe had some sort of fit and threw out the eggs and had a go at the nest too. Very disappointing, but better to have strong hatchlings.

Glad to see that Pheobe is live again. It's still dark where she is, so can't tell if a new nest has been started or if it's in the same place in the rose bush.

Fingers crossed the next batch will be viable.

Just a quick update, Pheobe has laid 2 two eggs and all seems to be going well. Fingers crossed!

Excellent, had forgotten about the webcam TBH but will have another look. ETA she looks well settled this time!

It is so nice to watch a being that is in harmony with nature instead of all the horrible things I keep hearing and reading about.

No idea where to send flowers but Pheobe is a mom!! Bea has hatched!! She's really tiny and cute.

I want a hummingbird now......

Yes, it's good isn't it? I can't say I find the chick all that appealing but it will probably look better once it's grown some feathers

Here's the youtube link of the hatching: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSih016w0e4
    Things get going about 2 mins in. You can see the baby wriggling in it's shell. Best moment when Pheobe comes back to see that one egg has hatched and the baby lifts it's head to her. That baby is so incredibily small!!