Thread: what do you put on your popcorn?

Question what do you put on your popcorn?

what do you put on your popcorn?

im eating lower fat and am wondering how to season my popcorn to still make it taste good without all the butter.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

I love nutritional yeast + herbamare (herbed celtic sea salt) on popcorn. I could eat it everyday.

Sprayed with olive oil, sprinkled with nutritional yeast, kissed with sea salt or "salted" with garlic powder, ceyanne pepper, powdered chili dust and lemon pepper (if you don't want sprayed oil on it).

I loves me popcorn.

I haven't eaten popcorn for years - It always made my throat itchy at the movies. I like puffed corn cereal though and sometimes eat it plain

Quote Kiva Dancer
    Sprayed with olive oil, sprinkled with nutritional yeast, kissed with sea salt or "salted" with garlic powder, ceyanne pepper, powdered chili dust and lemon pepper (if you don't want sprayed oil on it).

I loves me popcorn.

thats basically exactly what I do! If im being lazy..I just microwave organic buerritos no oil no salt popcorn...sparay on some non fat all natural cooking spray (canola works best unless you dont mind the strong flavor of olive oil..I usually use olive oil) then I put on TONS of garlic.....way too much salt..and nutritional yeast yum

Indian Style Popcorn is awesome. My girlfried makes it, so I don't remember everything you put in it, but basically you saute garlic, corriander, cumin, tumeric, and brown sugar in olive oil. then spread it over the popcorn like you would butter. add salt and pepper to taste. be careful though, it does stain. there might be more spices added to (possibly some curry powder and cinnamon) but i can find out if anyone is interested.

Please do, mattd. That sounds scrumptious. I gather it's the turmeric that stains, my husband accidentally wiped his hands on an undershirt while making veggie/tofu bake and 2 washes later, still turmeric handprints.

i almost never eat popcorn. i guess it's more popular to make your own in the US? i prefer savoury popcorn to the horrible sickly sweet stuff so if i ever feel like making it, i'll keep in mind everyone's suggestions. they all sound very nice if a little too much effort for me
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Gorilla
    i almost never eat popcorn. i guess it's more popular to make your own in the US? i prefer savoury popcorn to the horrible sickly sweet stuff so if i ever feel like making it, i'll keep in mind everyone's suggestions. they all sound very nice if a little too much effort for me
    sorry, but i really have no idea what you're talking about. what is "savoury" popcorn? i assume by the sweet stuff you're talking about pre-popped popcorn, and that stuff is always pretty horrid. air popped with either (vegan)butter or the indian style i suggested is really good.

p.s. and it takes so little effort to make. just buy a popper, put the unpopped corn in it, and in two minutes you have an awesome treat.

In the UK, you have a choice of sweet or savoury. Sweet is lightly coated with sugar sorta like caramel popcorn but not as sweet. Savoury is just salted. Popcorn really isn't as popular there as it is here. I used to have to search high and low to find unpopped kernels when I lived there and I lived in London.

I love it with melted earth balance butter sea salt and loads of nutritional yeast. You could also mist it with olive oil instead of butter.

I want to try to make "kettle" style popcorn, one of these days when Im not so lazy, yum, sweet and salty.

My mom likes to add sliced tomatoes and eat it with a spoon.

I like my popcorn plain but some of my friends like it with hot sauce.

I forgot about that, I used to love popcorn with Tiger Sauce, a kind of hot sauce. Haven't had it in ages though.

mmm hot sauce sounds good

Air popped popcorn is also good with tomato soup. Put a couple of kernals in the bowl, scoop out when you scoop the soup, eat and enjoy. It's a wintertime favourite around here.

i know artificial sweeteners are bad...........but i love popcorn with splenda on top!

what's 'nutritional yeast'?

i've never noticed it in the supermarket.

is it the same yeast stuff you make bread with?

Nope, not the same at all. They're 2 different yeasts.

Quote Tofu Monster
    what's 'nutritional yeast'?
    Check out the Nutritional yeast thread innit.

8winks, as far as i know Splenda is about the worst artificial sweetener you could buy, if you must buy any. they conducted some pretty outrageous animal testing before bringing out their already superfluous product. if there's a thread about it here i'll try to find it.

Matt, sorry if i confused you with my talk of British popcorn i can't say i like it enough to be bothered to buy a 'popper' but i believe one can buy packs of unpopped corn to put in the microwave in the UK.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Gorilla
    8winks, as far as i know Splenda is about the worst artificial sweetener you could buy, if you must buy any. they conducted some pretty outrageous animal testing before bringing out their already superfluous product. if there's a thread about it here i'll try to find it.
    That reminds me of when I got collared by one of those street surveyors, she was doing a survey on sugar versus sweeteners. After spending about five minutes asking all these questions on which sugar/sweetener I used she showed me pictures of the different Splenda products (I gather the survey was done on their behalf) - and asked what I thought of it. I don't think she quite expected as strong an opinion against it as the one I gave her

Don't think she'll be stopping me to do any more food surveys for a good long while
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

Quote Poison Ivy
    That reminds me of when I got collared by one of those street surveyors, she was doing a survey on sugar versus sweeteners. After spending about five minutes asking all these questions on which sugar/sweetener I used she showed me pictures of the different Splenda products (I gather the survey was done on their behalf) - and asked what I thought of it. I don't think she quite expected as strong an opinion against it as the one I gave her

Don't think she'll be stopping me to do any more food surveys for a good long while
    Well Done PI. I can't stand those street surveys.

As for popcorn all you need is a pinch of sea salt.

Quote Gorilla
    8winks, as far as i know Splenda is about the worst artificial sweetener you could buy, if you must buy any. they conducted some pretty outrageous animal testing before bringing out their already superfluous product.

i didn't know this........ sorry to promote it

Default Re: what do you put on your popcorn?

Quote Kiva Dancer

I loves me popcorn.
    Wow, Kiva Dancer, that sounds *delicious*!!

I like to put peanut oil on my popcorn! Also, a dash of paprika when I'm in the mood!

I don't put anyfink on my popcorn!
    Eve

i eat mine plain. but then again, im all about the 'diabetic diet'. no salt, real plain, etc, etc. i use pepper on my potatoes, and thats about it. its all about simplicity.

yogini

icing sugar!

100% sure – I'm going vegan! yum's Avatar

how do you make your own popcorn by the way? are people talking about making popcorn from scratch. By the way i was in blockbuster the video store inthe uk and discovered that sweet popcorn is vegan they have a label saying dairy/ egg free and approved by the vegetarian society. Unfortunatly the toffee one osnt vegan- butter! so i was thinkig of making my own - could i ?

x

either i eat my popppy corn plain,

with olive oil,

or with earthbalance and melted raw sugar combo....drool......mmmmmm
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Quote screamingcarrot
    icing sugar!
    I like that too. Did you ever try mixing the icing sugar with cocoa powder?

yogini

Quote anneh
    I like that too. Did you ever try mixing the icing sugar with cocoa powder?
    no...but sounds like it could be delicious, will try it!

i use hot sauce, or soy sauce, or salsa, or vinegar and salt. mmm salt and vinegar popcorn is delish! great for anyone who has a chip/crisp addiction lol.

celtic salt - saltiness with added taste and nutrition