Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Slimming world as a vegan

Default Re: Slimming world as a vegan

i just bought appetite for reduction. ive been dithering for weeks. pretty sure its gonna fit into the whole SW free/superfree thing.
    anyone else fancying it?
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Quote emmapresley View Post
    i just bought appetite for reduction. ive been dithering for weeks. pretty sure its gonna fit into the whole SW free/superfree thing.
    anyone else fancying it?
    I've never heard of it, do tell how it works for you.

i will do! its the new isa chandra mosokowitz book. vegan and really low fat?? i have cupcakes take over the world (sadly not being used at all these days...) and vegan with a vengeance, vwav is THE bext vegan cookbook ive ever bought (have some others and vegetarian ones also).

http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=35489.0

im really missing hummous too..i had a small blob at the orion last week and now all i can think about is sodding hummous. like huge wodges of it on carrots, NOT on celery or just my finger. i knoiw SW has a sort of version using greek no fat yogurt but thats no good. has anyone here mastered a tahini free low fat GOOD hummous?

average tasting hummous will NOT be tolerated!!!!
    Last edited by emmapresley; Feb 20th, 2011 at 05:44 PM. Reason: to be clear!!

Why don't you just make your own hummus and then you can control what goes into it. Tis really easy as long as you have a decent food processor. Chic peas would be free so you would just have to syn the seeds.
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

^ i always did vava, i wouldnt buy hummous for £1.odd when i could make it for a fraction.
    i dont know, i just got it into my head that i couldnt have it. im not sure i have tahini atm *goes to check* nope none in. oh. i could have it without. i really could??

reckon making it with ..lemon juice, tin of chickpeas, nut yeast, parsley s&p..maybe some of the watery gloop out the tin?? thatd work??

Check and see how many syns there are in tahini - it may work well if you spread it over a few days eh?

Quote vava View Post
    it may work well if you spread it over a few days eh?
    uh huh. likely much?!

ONE LEVEL TBLESPOON =4 1/2 syns on all thingies (orange green and red)

cobweb

^ that is suprising, I'm obviously doing a lot of things 'wrong', eating wise, and never even considered stuff like Houmous as being fattening !.
    Wow .
    BTW, is it really cheaper to make your own?. I tried once but found it expensive to buy all the ingredients (and didn't like it so much either ).

Have you tried sesame seeds instead of tahini on the syns measurer? I get the (possibly wrong) impression that tahini has more fat than sesame seeds alone would have...
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

uh huh. likely much?!

ONE LEVEL TBLESPOON =4 1/2 syns on all thingies (orange green and red)
    so 3 level tablespoons and if you spread it over 3 days that is only 4.5 syns a day. Even if you use it over 2 days the syns are well within your daily limit in fact even if you eat it on one day!

well. i made some tonight.
    one tin chickpeas, half a lemon, bunch of parsley, garlic, cracked black pepper, bit of essential yeast extract, blitzed it upo and it tasted fab.

what im finding with a lot of stuff these days is that, yes, i can count a,b or c as syns, but if i omit them i really dont miss them and cant tell the difference.
    i put 3 artichoke bits from a jar of oil (squeezed them dry of oil and chopped them up) into my mega synfree salad, but really, if i hadnt have put them in, i dont think i wouldve missed them.
    i think im viewing tahini in hummous in a similar way. yep, it sort of 'makes' the taste, but my taste for things has REALLY changed this last few months, so im more than content with what i produced earlier tonight.

appetite for reduction has a few hummour recipes in. ill have a bash at those too. should be getting dispatched tomorrow. i am so gonna cook up some shithot meals this weekend.

Nooch can rescue most things eh?

nooch is heavenly. im lost without it.

i put on 1 1/2 lbs this week. crazy body. ive completely established a pattern where every 3rd or 4th week i put on a bit (its 1/2 to 1 1/2lbs), then i have a small loss the next week and a much bigger one the week after.
    im not batting any eyelids about it, i cant feel in my body when ive put on a small amount or taken off a huge amount and im finding theres no point saying things like 'eeeeurgh well i had a piece of cake on thursday..worry worry.' or.'well ive been really *well behaved* all week so i dont know where its come from'

our meeting..(if you take out any bits thatre inspirational..or are fun, funny or just welcoming) consists of the woman going through everyones losses maintains or gains (latter two not mentioned really) and then the person in question joking about how they ate 8 slabs of chocolate and lost/gained..or was 'really good' and gained.

i know everyones 'weight loss journey' is personal to them and important. just..i dont know..its kind of he said/she said/cackle/ girls together..it just seems wiser and less hagsome to see everything as an overall thing and not scrutinise every little thing.

we have a taster day forward slash 'party' next week. i hope my appetite for reduction has arrived by then and i can make some ace noms

I got fed up of the fat forum - same old same old every bloody day. I have been bad - was naughty today - draw a line under - blah blah. PITA. My weight loss has completely stalled. I have another 7 pounds to lose and I am not trying hard enough. I am eating a vat of soup every week and salads other than that but those darn jammie dodgers will be my undoing. I love jammie dodgers and haven't had them for years and when Risker mentioned that they were now vegan I have just gone a bit mad. A packet a week and I don't mean the small packet.

The other thing I have noticed is how addictive sugar is. I eat the jammie dodgers one day and the next I am craving sugar and if I manage to fight the cravings then the next day I am fine again. Guess the way forward is all indicated in the above eh? Oh and EP 'draw a line under it' - *runs off to be sick in a bucket.*

Quote vava View Post
    ...but those darn jammie dodgers will be my undoing. I love jammie dodgers and haven't had them for years and when Risker mentioned that they were now vegan I have just gone a bit mad. A packet a week and I don't mean the small packet.
    I know exactly what you mean on that one. When I found out that I could get 2 packets for 99p at QD (and a 5-bar pack of Ruffles for 99p), I went mental for a while. I have to be careful with myself.

My cravings haven't been too bad. I usually use up my syns with biscuits so I don't feel massively denied.

But yes, it is hard sometimes
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

what should i be drawing a line under?

im confused

i mean. i texted my woman today. i thought id try a green day instead of the orange one. it turns out ive been doing a green one all tbis time but just not eating enough healthy extra b things.

i said 'would it be acceptable to substitute 10 peanuts for one desertspoonful of nothing added peanut butter?'

'oooh', she said ' youre tweaking the plan.'

'fuck it' i thought, and ate the peanut butter.
    (i had it on a ryvita so thats gotta cancel something out..)

if i put on weight because i ate peanut butter over individually counted out peanuts ill have to laugh.

I hadn't occurred to me that we could do the orange plan, I didn't even bother looking at it. As for tweaking. Hmmm, we all do it after a while don't we? I make my soup with tomato juice rather than tins of tomatoes. Same calories and if I'd have used a tin they would have ended up much like the juice. Sooo .. pah.

But it is important to be fairly careful, no? In measuring etc. As for peanut butter, does your's have extra oil? Cos that would have to be synned. Talking of oil, I don't see why it has to be olive oil. Particularly a today I had a stir fry fry and did it with an oil mix including sesame oil. If I put on weight this week its because of that.

I saw some real eat chicken style strips in H&B today, they look vegan now, does anyone now for sure? And if they are and anyone knew the syn value that would be great. Thanks.

sorry, didn't notice Ms P, you said yours had nothing added

yeah but gattona. i keep trying to think about this. say you have person a..who just eats whatever and steadily puts on weight. like i have..or we have or whoever. a weight gain of 1 1/2lbs in a week..you can attribute that to hormone changes or bloating or pms or whatever. but is it actually possible to put on that amount of weight by eating a packet of walkers crisps too many over whats on teh plan..or a tablespoon on oil??

i s it that if you do this plan then your body just freaks out at anythin over it and lays down the fat?
    i refuse to believe that an extra bit of oil or a small spoon of peanut butter can put on up to 2 lbs in weight in a week.

in my group on the table of inspiration they have the equivalent blob of what 2 lbs worth of body fat looks like.
    no way youre gonna lay that down cos of scoffing an extra cashew or poppodom.
    wtf

if you mean frys??
    i use the frys meaty strip things and the hot dogs and i just scoff them freely.
    ung. thats probably why i put on 1 1/2 lbs.

*sigh*
    *eye roll*
    *puts lines under everything*
    oh no..its okay..about the peanut butter thing

yea, I agree. I've seen that 2lb blob - impressive isn't it. The fry's strips are very oily so I was pleased to check the ingredients of the others, it Real Eat in caps, I'll find a link. They had the generic 'flavourings' which I want to check but they say 'no egg' which is usually what buggers that sort of thing up

Um hum, says here vegan. Only 1% fat per 100 whatsits. Probably why its not quite as yummy as the Fry's but its not bad but slightly tasteless
    http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-...eces_350g.html

G'night

if theyre real eat 'chicken' cube type things ive had them a few times and would use them freely.

i know this plan works but to my mind its illogical. ill put my trust in it and steadily crack on because its working and im not feeling like i want to gnaw on a small donkey in desperation and hunger daily.
    just i cant fathom how something like eggs..full of cholesterol..other meaty stuff..like whatever it is i dont even want to describe it, but like meat stuff thats dense and calorific can be free. in theory a perosn could eat..what 28 eggs in a week?? cos theyre free. and yet i have to meticulously scrape flat my tablespoon of peanut butter..mutter chunter grumble

Quote Gattona View Post
    G'night

night!!! xx

what should i be drawing a line under?

im confused
    On that silly fat forum - they used to say all the time to someone that has gained weight - draw a line under it and try harder next week. Grrr grrr grrr grrr grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!! Someone that had over indulged the same etc etc. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. gemedrift?

Well, I put on 0.2kg (about 0.4lbs?) which I had expected after last week. I'm pleased with that.

Sorry to hear about frustrations going on at the moment with people Positive...er...loss vibes to all!

Quote vava View Post
    On that silly fat forum - they used to say all the time to someone that has gained weight - draw a line under it and try harder next week. Grrr grrr grrr grrr grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!! Someone that had over indulged the same etc etc. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. gemedrift?
    got ya.

my appetite for reduction arrived today. it has pictures too. colour ones. lovely book, paperback and real nice and bendy.
    i made some hummous out of it tonight for lunch tomorrow, am gonna make a few things over the next week and post in th pic thread tehn..i mean, even some of teh dressings i would avoid cos of cashews or agave..but im thinking, vava, you were right. if im not eating anytihng much over free and superfree, then a tablespoon of agave or 2 of tahini over a day or three isnt gonna make a battering difference to losing. and omg, some of those recipes look so good...

Are the recipes pretty straightforward? As in, it's not a whole page of ingredients before the actual method. Assumption being the larder is stocked with the basic herbs, spices and tins...

So as you know I am not following the diet but just using the principles and here is what has happened. I have made a vat of soup for the last two weeks and eaten soup for lunch and soup in the evenings. Other than this just fruit and cereal for breakfast. The soup is half a packet of soup mix which is mainly legumes and barley with a can of chickpeas thrown in. I admit I have eaten about 4 raspberry ruffles a day but I have steadily gained weight and over the two weeks I am now 2 pounds heavier. Grr.

Maybe you're not eating enough, or enough variety? And, despite what my heart tells me, I don't think the 4 ruffles a day helps Make do with 2?

I think you are spot on pusskins! more variety it shall be - runs off to shop to get jammie dodgers!

Wait! That's not what I...! Well, if you're going, bring me back a pack...

Cuppa tea with those marm?

Heh heh - you know it!

Quote vava View Post
    So as you know I am not following the diet but just using the principles and here is what has happened. I have made a vat of soup for the last two weeks and eaten soup for lunch and soup in the evenings. Other than this just fruit and cereal for breakfast. The soup is half a packet of soup mix which is mainly legumes and barley with a can of chickpeas thrown in. I admit I have eaten about 4 raspberry ruffles a day but I have steadily gained weight and over the two weeks I am now 2 pounds heavier. Grr.
    Hi Vava,

chickpeas seem to be one of the most calorific of the pulses. I've not got my book here but I know they are not an SS and I doubt they are even an S. Chickpeas are my favourite but I found swapping for a tin of baked beans or butter beans or broad beans, all SS speeded up the shedding of pounds. And those raffles bars, maybe just one, for the time being, hmmm..... ? And how much cereal for breakfast? Those pesky amounts you are meant to weigh out are ridiculously small

Here is a yummiferous recipe for butter beans.

You need:

A tin of butter beans or some ready cooked ones, a tin of tomatoes, dill, stock cube, garlic.

Put in saucepan and cook. Easy huh? Its good too.

got ya.

my appetite for reduction arrived today. it has pictures too. colour ones. lovely book, paperback and real nice and bendy.
    i made some hummous out of it tonight for lunch tomorrow, am gonna make a few things over the next week and post in th pic thread tehn..i mean, even some of teh dressings i would avoid cos of cashews or agave..but im thinking, vava, you were right. if im not eating anytihng much over free and superfree, then a tablespoon of agave or 2 of tahini over a day or three isnt gonna make a battering difference to losing. and omg, some of those recipes look so good...
    Right, we're all round to your's for tea tomorrow, OK? I'm fine with the odd tablespoon or so of agave seriously, of course you can have the agave and tahini, that's what flippin syns are for. Yup, i agree about the total illogicality of SW, and the way it changes. Porridge used to be an HEB now you have your 28 grammes of oats and a ryvita. When I was going to THE group (agree there too - it not 'group' on its own without a definitive article) and I was told if you don't have it with the ryvita you have to syn it !!!???? And at another group there was a rule that you can't have two of the same HEB .... pah and other possibly less publicly acceptable words to that. I'll only start being so flippin overly scrupulous when I stop losing.

I've just been looking at a SW thread on another forum (get a life woman - do something other than think about SW and reading blogs and forums. Still, its been a hard week and if I want to relax this way, so what.

Anyway, someone was posting their food diary and someone else posted that the first person hadn't been eating a third superfree foods with each meal and thus was doing it WRONG. So the first person posted back that they were doing green days and that the third superfree wasn't necessary on that plan. So the other person posted back and said sorry, in that case what you are eating is fine.

??????????????????????????????? If they were doing an EE day they were doing it wrong and if they were doing a green day it was right? And its the same food? Is this getting just a tad silly?

I'm off to find a good book ......

Quote Gattona View Post
    Hi Vava,

chickpeas seem to be one of the most calorific of the pulses. And those raffles bars, maybe just one, for the time being, hmmm..... ? And how much cereal for breakfast? Those pesky amounts you are meant to weigh out are ridiculously small
    Ooo I didn't know that about the chickpeas - thanks for the heads up - I replaced potatoes with those - looks like a bad choice. The ruffles are the chocolates not the bars! You are definitely correct about the breakfast tho - so easy to fill a big bowl in the morning when you are hungry. Back to the grindstone - it's not going to happen just thinking about it eh?
    Last edited by vava; Feb 26th, 2011 at 10:18 AM. Reason: sp

i love chickpeas. dont tell me this!!

okay. today i went and and bought agave syrup, light tahini, cashew nuts, several kinds of mustard.miso.. pumpkin seeds. a ton of stock up herbs dried stuff i was running out of. now have an entire cupboard devoted to herbs and spices. woo!

i meticulously went through appetite for reduction recipe by recipe and listed stock cupboard ingerients and tried to relate it to what i could have on SW scoffthing.

i love this book. <3

i just made coolslaw. (carrots, red onions, sprouts and a reduced to 25p bag of salad from the coop) the dressing is really nice. it has 20 cashew nuts in it. quite honeslty i could drink it with a straw.

also made hummous. ive had it every day for about 3 days. except i put a teaspoon of tahini in. gosh that IS naughty on top of those 20 cashew nuts.
    theres a really nice looking spinach and strawberry salad with pumpkin seeds. and i just made some seitan, which looks like 4 little turds simmering away nicely in the pot. no need for nooch. and i missed out the 2 tablespoons of olive oil.

cobweb

Is plain tofu a 'free food'?

yes it is

i made seitan from afr..and eaten it all. im screwed on tuesday

cobweb

^ that's good re the tofu, mmm

I can never keep seitan in the house either, I sympathise

You'd think some seitan type foods would be free, if low fat - think Fry's sausages. Good luck for the weigh in. I'm deffo bu*****ered for tomorrow. After my red day I cooked crumbles and scones and was crazy for carbs and succumbed big time. Then I got ill and still craved stodge and didn't feel up to cooking any healthy choices. Oh well ... getting back on track time tomorrow. Having had my MP3 player die on me didn't help either, going to sleep with Paul McKenna whispering sweet nothings in my ears has got to have helped.

Spinach and strawberry? Sounds very 'posh restaurant' to me ... tell us if its nice

cobweb

Do you lot ever have problems feeling nauseous and headachey when 'dieting' (I know SW is a lifestyle change, blah-blah but it's basically dieting isn't it!). I'm trying to cut down on the amount of food that I eat, plus eat more healthily. I'm still getting 2,000 calories a day, eating regular meals, etc, but every time I do it I get this horrendous headache, heartburn and nauseous feeling. It's only really relieved by eating plain bread. Could cutting down on carbs cause these kind of symptoms I wonder?. Or is it just an adjustment period? .

*To clarify, I'm not doing SW but crashing your thread to pinch ideas and get advice, hope you lot won't mind?.

Crash away

I don't get what you were describing but got very ill when doing a vegan version of Atkins. Very nasty, living off deep fried tofu, spinach and I can't remember what else certainly did me no favours. That was carb deprivation in a big way. I was nearly unconscious with a raging headache like I've never had before and somehow remembered what must have caused it and weekly begged for bowls of cornflakes and in an hour or so was OK again. It had been gratifying watch over a pound drop off the scales every day but it all went back on immediately I started eating properly again.

I'm a bit poorly atm but would put it down to a virus rather than my red day as my husband went down with it to. Just about to give far TMI there , more smiles. When you are doing the green days there are loads of carbs so I wouldn't worry about that.

What do you eat on your 2,000 calories a day? If you are low carbing that could be a problem.

cobweb

I'm not low-carbing (I tried it once before and got the same results as you!), but I've realised I eat a VERY high % of carbs, so in reducing what I usually eat, I'm also reducing my carbs if you see what I mean.

To be honest, I seem to easily get up to 2,000 calories even without 'treats'.
    Usually I'll have porridge, toast, and proper orange juice for breakfast, something like houmous, peanuts, carrots, cucumber for lunch, and potatoes in some or other form with a load of veggies for tea, and usually a couple of sausages or some tofu, and more juice.

On a day when I eat exactly what I want (and don't get the headache and nausea), I eat all the above plus maybe a couple of bowls of cold cereal, a couple of wholemeal rolls, and some kind of 'treats' like ice cream, cake, etc...........

Ooookay, I'm absolutely no dietetician but that looks pretty good to me. If you did want to lose weight you might consider SW as in theory a lot of carbs are unlimited. You could have your normal lunch (houmous is allowed 28 g I think as a healthy extra) and bulk it out with rice or couscous for more carbs. Your breakfast would have to be either toast or porridge as they are both healthy extras too and you only get 2 of them so you could have more fruit (still carby) even a banana. Your evening meal could be tofu, or the Fry's light sausages, and the veggies, the potatoes are fine too so long as they are not chips or waffles or something like that.

You can even have treats on SW - up to 15 what they call 'syns' (grrrr to calling food a syn - here comes eating disorders and putting moral judgement on food choices .. rant over) Biscuits like hobnobs and Fox's coconut crumbles are three syns each. A fry's bar is 11 syns.. see what I mean, you can have lots of treats and carbs and still lose.

There is a fairly nice version of chips/roast potatoes parboil the potatoes first, then chop them up, spray with frylight and put in the oven. I'm told they are very nice if you boil with marmite, I might try another bouillon powder.

But ... and sorry if I'm doing this in the wrong place but I've seen some of your other posts and it seems you are having a really hard time atm? Maybe now isn't the time to be putting more pressure on yourself. Perhaps that's what the feeling bad is all about?

xxx

cobweb

thanks Gattona, and maybe you're right, it is a stressy time.
    I did SW years ago but I think it's probably evolved since then and I am interested in trying again .
    You lot inspire me