Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Slimming world as a vegan

Default Slimming world as a vegan

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone else here does Slimming World? I have been doing it for about 8 weeks and thought it would be nice to get in touch with other vegans doing it if there are any here?

Thanks!

Jen xx

Default Re: Slimming world as a vegan

I found it very difficult. They are huge advocates of Quorn. ( I did it this time online, but have gone in person when I lived in England ) which is not vegan and I wrote to the company and they have no plans on ever becoming a vegan company.
    I had to use up so many of syns on my daily brown rice protein shakes, that it was frustrating. I can not live on tofu alone, I have some concerns about it due to being in menopause and the bad things I heard about it regarding the thyroid. I do eat soy quite often, but I do not like overdosing on it. SW was not an option for me at all.
    Hope it going great for you however !
    ***Victoria***

Dogs never bite me, only humans............Marilyn Monroe

I am doing it at the moment - I do the online version - I am getting on well - have my first stone sticker - been doing it for 3 months now. I was expecting there to be no useful info about vegan products but everything I look for on the vegan side just jumps up if you put the manufacturer in. A lot of the foods that are free are vegan - indeed when I started I was eating more than I would normally and still losing but only slightly so I started using the plan and also eating less. It is amazing how quickly a human body adapts. I am quite happy on the site and the 'minimins website' is also good for support. There are quite a few vegans that write on there. Only another half stone to go and very determined at the mo to get to target and stick there! I wish you well on your journey! I am very pleased with my results at the mo!
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

cobweb

I did it once and put on weight!. Loads of stuff was 'free' foods, like potatoes (cooked without fat), and veg, I ate more than usual and actually gained.

Huge congratulations to you Vava on your success with SW. It really is a good plan and apart from having to use up all my syns on my rice protein shake would have seen it thru. Being here in the States I have access to food that are either very hard to get in the UK or not at all, so there was no listing for the brown rice protein powder, so had to contact them, unfortunately even though it is sugar free, organic, fat free with no chemicals, additives, etc, they 'charged me ' syns to use it, and that was more or less my full allotment for the entire day, which is no good.

I work out quite heavily, sometimes 12 miles a day of walking, so I eat a larger percentage of my daily calories in protein, so the brown rice protein shakes made with almond milk and flaxseed is a staple in my life.

Best wishes, congratulations again and a very Merry Christmas to you !
    ***Victoria***

Hi,

I've done it a few times and found it works well if you can stand the discussions in group about the things the omnis eat and the food recomendations. But I've never found the consultants anything but polite and accepting of my choices. Tho concept of calling any food sinfull however they decide to spell it pees me off as well but the support of a class and the regular weigh in does help me. It doesn't work for me if I overdo the rice as a free food but now they recommend that a large per cent of what is eaten should be a super speed food as well and that does work. Previously I would just fill up with plates of rice or couscous and that was counter productive. Can I put in a plug for a very nice small yahoo group called vegan slimmers? All vegan slimmers very welcome )

I plan to go back to SW, as I've out on about three stone in the last year, but tbh, if people are overweight for emotional reasons as I am I think more than diet is needed so as to try to sort out the underlying issues.

good luck with it all.

Hi Gattona !
    If you decide to try to set up a small yahoo vegan slimmers group, I would love love love to be part of it ! I would not have a clue on earth of how to set it up, so if you decide to do it yourself, can you let me know, so I may join ?
    Thanks !
    Merry Christmas.
    ***Victoria***

Oh dear, I think I may have read your reply incorrectly ! I think you may have meant that there is a small group called Vegan Slimmers already in existance and all are welcome to join in.
    Did I get it right this time ??

Sorry !
    ***Victoria***

Quote SugarPlumFairy View Post
    Oh dear, I think I may have read your reply incorrectly ! I think you may have meant that there is a small group called Vegan Slimmers already in existance and all are welcome to join in.
    Did I get it right this time ??

Sorry !
    Its here! Come and join us http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VeganSlimmers/That's an open invitation, not just to SugarPlum Fairy

Oh the link got mixed up wit the next bit of the sentence. Sorry. here it is again http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VeganSlimmers/

I have just joined and I rec'd a message saying my membership is pending and when approved I will get an e-mail notification, so I will wait ! Thanks for letting me/us know about this valuable resource !

***Victoria***

Slimming world is not a diet - it is a way of restructuring the way you eat and of giving you a new way of approaching and preparing food. If you use it as a diet it will never work and you will just yoyo. If you gain weight when you are on the diet it is because your portion sizes are too large and you are overeating. There are lots of reasons for overeating - the worst are emotional issues that are really hard to break but if you follow the rules and stick to it even if there is not change for a few weeks while your body adjusts - you will lose weight. Sorry if this sounds like an advert it is not - it is just a reinforcement of the fact that most overweight folk are doing something wrong with their food and that is a tough fact to face sometimes when it relates to a pleasurable pastime!

o hai!
    i've been going to a fat club..oh noo sorry, slimming world for about 6 weeks and i've lost 1 1/2 stone. its been incredibly easy. apart from one week (where i went to hansas and starbucks and stuffed my face silly and gained half a pound) and this last week where i was a good focussed girl and gained 1 1/2 pounds and everyone twittered on about it being my 'star week', ive lost weight every week..the most 7lbs in one week, the least 4lbs.

spuds..pasta..rice..couscous.add in loads of veg and loads of fruit. whats not to like?

i can see plenty of the people who go struggle with what they use their 'syns' for..and i reckon if they tweaked those and stuck to shitloads of free and superfree stuff, they wouldnt even need their 'syns'. but im being judgemental or just mental on that one.

processed stuff tastes disgusting now, things that previously i wouldve seen as pretty healthy now taste like heavenly treats (i had 5 grapes and a massive fat gherkin earlier and was delighted with how satisfying it was. er. that sounds pretty wrong about the gherkin, right?)

my consultanty woman is a bit over.err..no, shes great. quite motivating. i love the basket of joy..which i struive for winning every week..dont care its got crap stuff in it, i just want to win it, and the table of inspiration placed centrally in the room of motivation and encouragement tickles my pink every week. i love slimming world..muaa haa.
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

cobweb

Maybe it just depends a bit on how good the group leader is, and probably how focused you are yourself. When I tried it, years back, and put ON weight, I think the leader just imagined that I could gorge myself on free foods that are vegan and I'd lose weight easily. But of course you can gain weight if you eat too much of virtually anything.

I should have another go I think. I've completely given up chocolate as it turned out to be a definite Migraine trigger for me, so if I can do that I'm sure I can make other changes.

Anyway, well done emmap and everyone else losing weight .

[QUOTE=emmapresley;669341](i had 5 grapes and a massive fat gherkin earlier and was delighted with how satisfying it was. er. that sounds pretty wrong about the gherkin, right?)/QUOTE]

Ok - would have been worse if it was 2 grapes and a gherkin. **Hoots**.

*snortish snigger*

indeed!
    i 'maintained' this week (my weigh in is every tues am). get this. this last week our group collectively lost 3 lbs and gained 34lbs. THATS FESTIVE BINGEING FOR YA

the woman who lost the most (2lbs)..was eating pork pies last night. WTF?!

Well done everyone on your weight loss!

I joined the 'other one' (Weightwatchers) some years ago with a friend of mine. The group leader did go out of her way to accomodate the needs of a (then) Vegetarian and indeed there were several recipes and ready made meals which were Vegetarian. But I dont recall there being any recipes or guidance for Vegans. Incidentially.. she was incredibly sensitive to the feelings of my friend who at 6' 5'' and 26 stone was the only male in the group.

The programme was extremely well thought out and I did have a gradual but noticeable weight loss , I never went hungry or felt deprived of anything as I could virtually eat anything with the points entitlement for the day. Points were awarded on weight/gender/height/physical energy used in work.

The weigh in and the advice section were excellent but the 'group bonding' bit I found patronising and humilating. People clapped at your success or bleated in sympathy at your failures in an almost pantomine like fashion. One poor woman recounting the tale of a forbidden extra Indian take away bent her head and wrung her hands in a way more appropriate to the confession of a serial killer than those of a lapsed slimmer!

Then there were childish games and some god awful glove puppet (alias a sock) who chides us or praised us as we added up our points. It strangely spoke with the same voice as the leader except more squeaky .... I could only stand it for a few weeks before I had to leave.

My friend took the games in better sprit ( he doesnt get out much) and smugly lost weight week after week after working out that he could use his points up on fish and chips and lager and still look as squeaky clean as a choir boy. Mind you he left too eventually when he realised that using up such vast amount of points sinfully left him none for essential foods and he feared he might end up with scurvy!!

Right ..now I am off to check Gattonas link. I just hope there will be glove puppets

sorry no glove puppets, or fake clapping ... I'll go and have a look and see if you're there yet

^ i keep meaning to join in with this if youll have me?
    will do it tomorrow poss cos got to scamper now

Quote emmapresley View Post
    ^ i keep meaning to join in with this if youll have me?
    will do it tomorrow poss cos got to scamper now
    Its an open Yahoo group, it wasn't me that started it ... see you there after you've scampered

Well, for my syns (hur hur ), I joined Slimming World online yesterday. Mostly thanks to you lot raving about it! I am already a bit confused, though! It said I have a factsheet I can find on my homepage about substitutions, as I chose the "no dairy" element. I can't find the factsheet! Anybody in the know to let me know, please??
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

which plan are you doing?

Theres the normal in your face one or theres the old plans which are green and red. The green ones were recommended for veggies and they are carb heavy. They try to promote the new extra easy plan now but the old ones are still there. I do the green plan.

It's the new food optimising Extra Easy plan. Looks really good and *chortle* really easy!

The site has changed recently and I am not as familiar with it as before but a lot of the stuff you needed before was on the recipies and menues section so I would try there. If you are looking for healthy extras they are in the getting started bit and anything personal to you is in the my slimming world bit. HTH.

cobweb

You lot have got me thinking about re-joining. We have a new class very near to my house, and I just got one of those New Year deal voucher thingies through the letterbox.
    I did the green plan last time, dunno about this new fangled thingy? .

Vava you made a good point re the emotional eating. Personally I think that used to be my major problem, i would alternately punish and reward myself using food. Apart from the odd PMT binge I don't do that anymore, but the weight clings on, so it might be worth another go? .

http://www.minimins.com/

This forum has a slimming world section and a host of lovely folk to help you as well and some vegans that post on there to help with vegan angles as well.

Quote pusskins View Post
    Well, for my syns (hur hur ), I joined Slimming World online yesterday. Mostly thanks to you lot raving about it! I am already a bit confused, though! It said I have a factsheet I can find on my homepage about substitutions, as I chose the "no dairy" element. I can't find the factsheet! Anybody in the know to let me know, please??
    I've never done it on line, so sorry I can't be of specific help but from doing it most recently last year soya milk was a healthy extra (250ml sweetened, 350ml unsweetened) on the green plan, soya cheese was a syn ... if its incorporated as a healthy extra now I'd love to know. Ditto the meat subs made by redwood, if they could be done on a vegan version of a red day that would be brilliant. I don't like them as a regular part of my diet but being able to use them in the plan without having to count syns on them would be great.

Quote SugarPlumFairy View Post
    I found it very difficult. They are huge advocates of Quorn. ( I did it this time online, but have gone in person when I lived in England ) which is not vegan and I wrote to the company and they have no plans on ever becoming a vegan company.
    I had to use up so many of syns on my daily brown rice protein shakes, that it was frustrating. I can not live on tofu alone, I have some concerns about it due to being in menopause and the bad things I heard about it regarding the thyroid. I do eat soy quite often, but I do not like overdosing on it. SW was not an option for me at all.
    Hope it going great for you however !
    Ah yes, if only quorn was vegan .. but hey ho, its not . You don't have to live on tofu though, all the other pulses are there including the mystery sword beans. Anyone know what they are? Every group - and I've been to a lot, I'm a yo yo dieter who eats emotionally - hasn't known what they are. I suppose I could google but what's life without mystery ?

i think you should join cobweb.
    i put off doing something like that for ages, i need the structure of it, once i know i've to go to the place and i know i'm gonna be weighed at x oclock it makes me more focussed.

yeah, the naffness of it makes you want to rip your face off sometimes..all that sitting in a semi circle and applauding, like slack alice said, but i'm trying quite hard to look at it from the comedy angle, one known only to me. and that really helps. i like winning the basket of joy too. hell, it's an incentive to win it even if it was filled with tins of tuna, i can give it all away, it's just that i acknowledge to myself that i worked my socks off all week and damn well deserve my semi patronising round of applause.
    maybe they made swords beans up, they don't exist?!

sorry, i can;t help either pusskins, i can't navigate my way out of a paper bag let alone a slightly complicated slimming world webshite.

slimming world webshite.
    **snorts**

oh! do you know what would be really ace fellow slimming worldites?

we should make lists of stuff thats vegan and their syn value. now i know this makes me sound like a div, and truthfully im not sure i can contribute much more than knowing that one linda macartney sausage is 1 syn..or is it 2? but im sure there will be stuff that we wanna eat that we can share 'knowledge' on

*does power fist of veganity and slenderness*

im fed up of not really knowing the syn values of stuff and either having to forgo it or having to text my woman and she doesnt know either or makes a sort of guess. i keep thinking about buying one of the copies of the directory..but i know that the vast vast majority of it is gonna be things like dairylea dunkers or pepperamis or some such shit like that.

anyone have any goodies they can contribute?

According to the website, a Linda McCartney sausage is 2 syns? And a Pure cheese slice is 3 syns. There's a start!

And thank you for your helpful posts vava and Gattona. I've now got the minimins app on my iTouch which is proving helpful!

I do online so I can find the syn value of owt you want. Am at work at the mo but will post some when I get home - redwoods stuff mainly - but if you want anything specific stick it on here.

Quote SlackAlice View Post
    ... One poor woman recounting the tale of a forbidden extra Indian take away bent her head and wrung her hands in a way more appropriate to the confession of a serial killer than those of a lapsed slimmer!

Haha! that really made me laugh!

I've requested to join the yahoo group, as I need to lose 20lb before the end of March. I'm doing this challenge with 2 friends - as a stick we're agreeing to donate £100 to something we would absolutely hate to if we don't make the goal - mine's the British Heart Foundation (thought of my money going to animal testing fills me with horror!), my friend's is the BNP, and my other friend's is apparently some guy he "really hates"
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Hey Twinkle, that made me laugh. What a brilliant idea. And if you can be really serious about it, what an incentive. I could not be serious with something like that as I knew that i failed with the goal no way could I hand money over to something I hated. I reckon you need something positive to drive you on as well. Says she who last year was heading happily and confidently towards a size 12 and then blew it so thoroughly that my size 18 jeans won't go on anymore ... pah!! Tell you what though, when you are in the yahoo group why not suggest that as a group challenge for us all. 20lbs by the end of march sounds flip, I've been counting on my fingers .. just about doable.

Emma,

if you go to a group you get a password to use online and you can find out the syn value of anything - if its not in the database then you can put in stuff like fat values etc off the label and it works it out for you. I've just realised tonight is Tuesday and I've promised myself to go ... must rearrange my mummy taxi services.

eeeeer, no its not Tuesday today ... ho hum ....

Quote Gattona View Post
    eeeeer, no its not Tuesday today ... ho hum ....
    **sniggers**

aha! the lack of cake is making you scatty minded
    i have got a code thingy and have been on their website a few times, just i'm not in the routine of doing it i guess. might go and have a look now.
    my weigh in is meant to be tuesday am, but am going to have to go to the weds night one this week. i'm finding i'm getting stupidly anxious in the days running up to it. i was dropping loads of weight each week, never less than 4lbs for weeks, and then i put on, maintained and put on. (1 1/2 lb..maintained..then 1/2lb.) i'm goikng to be really pissed off if i havent't lost 2 lbs. at least. gah.

I only had a stone and a half to lose and I thought it was going to be easy - NO it is not I have been at it for 4 months now. I can stick to plan and lose weight but I only lose about half to quarter of a pound each week. so I now stick to the principals but also eat a lot less as I am v impatient. I feel and look so much better already although I still have half a stone to go. Onwards and downwards!

Quote vava View Post
    I only had a stone and a half to lose and I thought it was going to be easy - NO it is not I have been at it for 4 months now. I can stick to plan and lose weight but I only lose about half to quarter of a pound each week. so I now stick to the principals but also eat a lot less as I am v impatient. I feel and look so much better already although I still have half a stone to go. Onwards and downwards!
    People often say the last few pounds are the hardest to shift, I don't know how true it is but that is the perceived wisdom in the groups. Also, I have seen it happen that people that people can actually lose less when they cut down too drastically. That has happened to me, no syns at all one week and I lost nothing - upped my syns the next and lost a couple of pounds. If only it came off as easy as it goes on. Thin people looking at the fat can be so judgemental and think it would be so easy, all the fat person has to do is eat less .... not so easy is it?

aha! the lack of cake is making you scatty minded
    i have got a code thingy and have been on their website a few times, just i'm not in the routine of doing it i guess. might go and have a look now.
    my weigh in is meant to be tuesday am, but am going to have to go to the weds night one this week. i'm finding i'm getting stupidly anxious in the days running up to it. i was dropping loads of weight each week, never less than 4lbs for weeks, and then i put on, maintained and put on. (1 1/2 lb..maintained..then 1/2lb.) i'm goikng to be really pissed off if i havent't lost 2 lbs. at least. gah.
    Ah, lack of cake - now I understand My fingers are crossed for you on Wednesday, nearly said tomorrow there ....

Gattona - I think a day got sucked out of your life by aliens - wonder what they will do with it?

cobweb

Quote Gattona View Post
    People often say the last few pounds are the hardest to shift, I don't know how true it is but that is the perceived wisdom in the groups. Also, I have seen it happen that people that people can actually lose less when they cut down too drastically. That has happened to me, no syns at all one week and I lost nothing - upped my syns the next and lost a couple of pounds. If only it came off as easy as it goes on. Thin people looking at the fat can be so judgemental and think it would be so easy, all the fat person has to do is eat less .... not so easy is it?

ah, I know, the girl I work with is stick-thin and never stops eating. She doesn't exercise and seems to sleep a lot, too. I don't get it?.

Well, we weighed in, and were all suitably shocked by how porky we were! The one who said he'd donate to the BNP if he didn't shift the weight has already said he actually doesn't think he could bring himself to do it, which is rubbish, but hopefully it won't come to backing out of the deal for anyone as we should manage just under 2lb a week!
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Two and a half pounds on and I can't really say it was worth it. Bah and back to the slimming grindstone.

um, how many syns in a whole jar of peanut butter!!???

78236783245834657842365782467865789246542783657892 34657834265784365783426578346578923465789236457892 64357826357862347856348756234785627834567843256278 34567834567829346587234657823657834375893645743875 64872567843567824562783456278345678345678345678567 82365783657823657832465783426578345678346578342657 832465782645786347856278345627835627834 syns in a jar or peanut butter. now put it down pie, and back away slowly...

Quote pie View Post
    um, how many syns in a whole jar of peanut butter!!???
    Yew - you didn't - you couldn't surely to goodness?