Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Slimming world as a vegan

Default Re: Slimming world as a vegan

Quote cobweb View Post
    Thankyou LV - Emmap how was we supposed to know that???
    dunno

LV is right though, slapsies for southerners who come oop north taking our nooch and montezuma noms!
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

cobweb

boo now that I'm not in Orkney I can't say "call yerself a Northerner.........etc etc etc....." lol
    That place does sound good though

Welcome to the thread, Hemlock! Join us in our SW obssesions!

Thank you for the birthday wishes, peeps! Despite having this week off and enjoying goodies and baking loads - I have actually lost 2.7kgs (6lbs)!!! I think working doesn't suit me at all Obviously it's conducive to my weight gain.
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

Wow!! Well done Pusskins!

You know I've found that the people and the woman at (my) group always manage to justify.justify is not the right word, I'm not meaning to detract from your ace weeks weight loss at all..
    Say you ate loads of birthday chocolate/cake and still lost..they would find some way to explain that. Like it's good to 'ease up on yourself once in a while then your body isn't stressing.
    Still, that's pretty bloody good going!

Thank you! Yeah, I know it's nothing to do with the change in food. I have actually been pretty active and doing more and generally rushing about. I don't know - I'm just going to accept it and then see how I get on when I'm back at work next week

Hi all, I am joining slimming world tonight, glad to see I'm not hte only vegan on a diet!!

Yay! Welcome to our wee group!

I'm now back at work this week. I'm going to try and move around a bit more when I can.

Hey guys!!

How is everyone doing?

I lost my cake weight...YAY!! plus another pound..so 3 1/2 off this week.
    Also went to my first Zumba class tonight..it was HILARIOUS. I totally recommend going if you have one local, it's very very fun and energising. I'm pretty bad at feeling self conscious about wafting my arms about and shaking my arse infront of 80 people but i didn't care after 5 minutes and just got stuck into it.

cobweb

Oh, Zumba...........what kind of clothes do you wear, just normal exercisey stuff?. They do it in the village hall here. You are a weight loss guru, Emmap!.

Yea EmmaP, flippin well done! I've lost it slightly and am having to lose yet another 'blip' but it is going. Another pound off today, which I'm pleased about as I've not dared weigh myself for a few days since I drastically miscalculated the syns on some chocolate bunnies

I also got the 30 day shred DVD, but got inturupted by a bad back. Now that is on the way to getting sorted I plan to resume the noisy and sweaty sessions each morning. My dh was wondering about the jars of gerkhins that kept reappearing in the living room despite him putting them into the kitchen

Have a good day every one

sorry - just read back through the thread a bit - I saw the birthday girl (lHello Pusskins!) lost despite the special day and hello to new people here - hello Hemlock and VeganCD

G ...xxx

cobweb

Quote Gattona View Post
    Now that is on the way to getting sorted I plan to resume the noisy and sweaty sessions each morning. My dh was wondering about the jars of gerkhins that kept reappearing in the living room despite him putting them into the kitchen
    oo-er missus..............

Hi all, well i went for my first meeting last night and need to get my brain around what I can and can't eat today - had shredded wheat and soya milk for breakfast - my husband has left me some homemade soup for lunch......what to have for tea?..... x

That's good news VeganCD, you've loads to choose from .. what do you like. Potatos cut up very small and sprayed with frylight make nice chips that are free and baked beans are free and SS, 'frying' an onion with stock cube and curry powder is a good start to any sort of curry ... pasta sauces can be created with passata or a tin of tomatos. Once you get your hear round how it works this is an easy way to lose weight. don't forget to eat your syns as well.

Quote cobweb View Post
    Oh, Zumba...........what kind of clothes do you wear, just normal exercisey stuff?. They do it in the village hall here. You are a weight loss guru, Emmap!.
    i wore a black top, some yoga pants..yeah, get me..and some falling to bits rocket dogs (as is my usual footwear these days). Probably a better pair of trainers wouldve been good, but i don't own any. loose stuff, trackies, a tshirt. Some women were all sporty and nonsweaty and wore actual zumba tops. Ho hum.

i actually ache a it today. i did my regular taebo afterwards and found i felt knackered, was in bed asleep pretty early. well 12. But straight to sleep cos was tired.

the class is held in one of my kids school halls

Quote VeganCD View Post
    Hi all, well i went for my first meeting last night and need to get my brain around what I can and can't eat today - had shredded wheat and soya milk for breakfast - my husband has left me some homemade soup for lunch......what to have for tea?..... x
    Roast veg..any combos..fry light stock powder, herbs, spices, mix up with grains...rice..pasta..quinoa..millet..couscous..al l free if you tweak it about right.

i use masses of veg/salads..and use my B's (2 a day on green) ..usually one is cereal (breakfast) and another might be 20 cashew nuts to make a really good dressing. syns for the dressing would be a teaspoon of dijon mustard...teaspoon agave syrup, so thats like 2, 3 at a push syns. blitz the above stuff in a blender with half an onion, bit of apple cider vinegar, salt pepper, 1/2 cup water. it makes an ace dressing and you can literally eat a massive mound of steamed veg/salad and not feel like youre dieting cos its 'just' salad.

or use your other B choice for 2 tablespoons tahini..make hummous! (all the other stuff in there is free..) massive jacked spud as big as yer 'ead. steamed brocolli, greeen beans, drizzle lemon juice and a teaspoon of the essential yeast extract over the hot veg. is so nice.

sweet potatoes wedged up sprayed with fry light and baked are really good too. try out differnt combinations of herbs, spices. there is a recipe in vegan with a vengeance for watercress and sweet potato hash. that can be made as a 'free' meal. and its amazing.

make a massive bean chilli. again use ya could of your syns to 'sex it up' i reckon if you make it taste as though it isn't 'diet food', you can fool yourself into believing that you're not missing out on anything. But i firmly believe that you son't have to miss out on anything on this eating plan. Jeeeezuz. i should become a frinkin consultant me!!

^ Gattona is right about syns too. You'll start off with about 12 to 15 a day, you can save them up for a weekend drinkies sesh if that's your thing..or take them daily so yu can have 'treaty' stuff and not feel you're missing out. i reckon personally that's a good way to do it because for a short time at least you should be taking it day to day until you're so used to it you can sum up values of stuff by instinct or do a reasonable job of it.

Another syn thing is, as you lose weight you'll be reducing them gradually, for obvious reasons. If you don't really bother with them now or get into a habit of thinking you're gonna lose weight better by cutting out that curly wurly or whatever, oh no, wait... D'uh...it's false logic. I don't really get it but a few times nopw people who are at (my) group have slowed to a stop or a much slower weight loss rate, teh woman says..try introducing blah blah and/or blah. they go and have blah on toast and next week they've lost an amazing 3 lbs.

bodies are weird, they just do stuff how they seem to want to. so try not to stress about a week to week weight loss or gain. Good luck vegancd, post here lots!! we all need the support

Does anyone know if any of the batchelors low fat super noodles are vegan friendly? I know they're not very healthy, but they're syn free any handy for the odd quick snack?

they're free

oh sorry i didn't read that properly. i think it's a chilli one?

Hi guys,

how is everyone? I've been hiding as I felt such a failure - been piling it on a bit and felt too ashamed to post :// silly me. Anyway, here I am having got my head a bit more sorted and find you've all gone quiet. I've lost 18 pounds now since spring when I started - some of them repeatedly - and yet again (ho hum, heard that story again) feel ready to go. Picked myself up, brushed off the dust etc ... Seriously, I feel like I'm not getting caught up in the intensity of the emotions that led me to binge.

So .... can we resurect this thread? Emma, KayJay, Cobweb, Pusskins, VeganCD, LV, Hemlock ... and sorry if I've forgotton anyone

I'm here! And I'll be back at the gym come June. I've only got a wee way to go now. It's harder now I'm near my goal! I neeeeeeed the gym. And I'm not longer a pasta bake fiend. I have expanded my repertoire.

Don't feel like a failure - you're not! Life isn't perfect, people aren't perfect. We're not machines! Well done for having lost 18lbs so far this year! Just think, you can lose another 18lbs over the next few months and by the end of the year, you'll be 36lbs (2st 6lbs) lighter! That's really really good! Too many exclamation marks now!

Hey hey welcome back Gattona and don't be silly you're no way near a failure look at how well you've done - 18lb is amazing! I'm really struggling, since losing in the first couple of weeks I've stayed the same and last week gained 1.5lb. I was really good last week, went to the gym 3 times and stayed syn free all week! OK I am a bit naughty at weekends, but I don't think that I go over my syn allowance. This week I will be getting back to having no starchy carbs after 4pm - as that's the only thing that seems to help me

I've just noticed that SW have added Kara Dairy Free coconut milk to their list of "healthy extra" A choices on green - and up to 400ml of it which is great!

Simple carbs like fruits don't make you fat. FAT does. FAT + refined sugars does. Not sleeping enough does. Not exercising enough does. Please let's stop this war on sugar, which is what our body runs on or you're all bound to fail as thin vegans. Please have a look at this video of a girl eating 3.000kcal of CARBS each day and how slim and fit she is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hat0A...ayer_embedded: and this: http://www.30bananasaday.com/video/h...iabetic-in-six

let's stop restricting the WRONG calories !!

Coconut milk is SUPER FAT ! It's not healthy AT ALL !!! Please you're being fooled by the system, no matter how vegan it sounds, you won't feel healthy if you eat so much fat Simple carbs like fruits don't make you fat. FAT does. FAT + refined sugars does. Not sleeping enough does. Not exercising enough does. Please let's stop this war on sugar, which is what our body runs on or you're all bound to fail as thin vegans. Please have a look at this video of a girl eating 3.000kcal of CARBS each day and how slim and fit she is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hat0A...ayer_embedded: and this: http://www.30bananasaday.com/video/h...iabetic-in-six

let's stop restricting the WRONG calories

hi vegetarian_cat, the Kara milk isn't real coconut milk, or if it is it's not very fatty. If you look at the SW way of eating, which is what those of us in this thread are trying to do, we do eat loads of fruit and veggies, less sugars and fats and a fair bit of foods like pasta and rice, don't worry.

I've been away from the forum for a while getting my head together as us old hippies say and things are much better now for myself and my family and I've lost about 30lbs now. Its been slow but I'm getting there, I hope life in general is good for you all. I shall go and have a look round the forum now ... bye ....

hi all. i havent been on here in aaaaaages. i was digging about in the kitchen a while ago and came across my last certificate from my SW group which was dated 26th june which was for a 4 1/2 stone loss. and i realise since then ive been pissing about. i put on half a pound i take off half a pound. i lost 6 in one week and put on 2..then take off 1 1/2..pout n another half, take off one..and so on.

this is HARD!!

i desperately want that 5 stones certificate and was 2 lbs away from it. its just getting so i HAVE to go to the gym 4 times a week to even get any weight off. and im seeing things like a pot of low fat soya yogurt or a bag of oaty bakes as a 'naughty' food.

its demoralising when i hear people at my group say things like 'ohh...well i dont believe it, 2 lbs off..and i had that wine and the deep fried fish, though i took off the batter (and THAT i dont get..doesnt fat penetrate through layers of flour and water?!).

i drink loads of water, i avoid bread, i dont look at a jammy dodger. and what i get are people saying to me 'well, did you measure out your extra low ft unsweetened soya milk that could almost pass for water as it is'..because if you didn't then THATS where youve put on 2lbs.'

they dont say that of course. i just need a rant.

Hiya, wisdom in (the ) group seems to be it gets harder as you get less to lose. Have you talked to your consultant about this as they do have techniques up ther proverbial sleeves. And are you eating lots of SS foods?

But heck, everyone goes through stages where it works well and then stalls for reasons of attitude of physics - I've only just got back into it after a holiday of about 6 weeks of almost maintenance.

So MsP, if you want that next certificate ..... I've never had a certificate, I think my first consultant was too mean to buy them or maybe they didn't exist then ... have a look again at what you eat and maybe do food diaries again for us here of your consultant to have a look at. You can do it ...

Thinking about tofu ...... I've started making my own thanks to someone who posted here how they make it (THANKS!) Isn't it ironic - soya milk is limited as a Healthy Extra yet tofu is a free food. It takes a litre of soya milk to make a mound of tofu I have with breakfast. Any other food, if you mess about with it so its different and easier to eat, it gets extra syns. Well, not veggies but we all know the argument about turning oranges into juice etc. don't we. I could easily have three litres worth of tofu in a day. Well, tbh, I just have and am suffering the consequences. When you make it, if you use sweetened soya milk and grab it from the straining process before it goes hard its is I guess a vegan version of curds and whey. Put it in a bowl and eat with brown sugar splenda. Wonderful. BUT if you are using epsom salts as a coagulant it has dire effects that I won't go into. Do not follow my example and have three bowls

got my 5 stone award yesterday by some miracle i dropped 6 1/2 lbs this last week, despite white refined bread, jack daniels and take out curry. go me!

Well. Gosh. Six and a half pounds! Forgive my inarticulateness. Well done you. Amazingly well done you.

WELL DONE emmap! Bro fist!

I made a discovery today. 42g of All bran is a blooming small amount I thought it would be more. looks like I've been having double quantities for quite a while.

Also, it looks like the Fry's sausages aren't free anymore. I couldn't find Fry's on the database thingy on line at all and my C says they have a syn value. Bother. I've not dared look at my other staple, the realeat chicken lumps. Pah!

Quote Gattona View Post
    I made a discovery today. 42g of All bran is a blooming small amount ....
    Yeah portions of processed foods tend to be ridiculous small. I wish I could do raw fruitarian. Then I could just eat food in bulk, but I'm weak in letting processed yums go

Maybe one day...

Mmm, you should try the whopping 28g of Muesli. Hardly worth dirtying the cereal bowl with.

I joined SW last week and had my first weigh in tonight.....lost 7.5 pounds.

I did have a bit of a moan about the online syns calculator, which I described as being as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike. This drew a shocked gasp from the assembled corpse munchers. The group leader says she is going to flag up the fact that there are entire companies not listed, such as Redwoods and Fry's.

If I have done my sums correctly Redwoods 'Ham' is only half a syn a slice.
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

Well done for speaking up about the online service. I did SW a few months back and I'm SURE I found redwood and Fry's there, in fact I'm also sure that the Fry's low fat sausages were free but that has changed and Redwoods and Fry's are no longer to be found now - I'm doing (A - note EP ) group again and checked and checked with different spellings and they are definitely not there. Hmmmmm, I wonder if companies have to pay SW to be on the syns online thingummy? I'll mention this to my consultant when I see here next. If enough do, it might make something happen.

And your weight loss is most impressive. Well done

Guess what, I have just checked the online syns calculator and Redwood's are on there.....you have to put 'Redwood Company' in the search Box and then search for a specific product. You'd have thought the search engine would pick up 'Redwoods' . Hey Ho. I don't know why they list a whole pack though, even a greedy guts like me wouldn't wolf down a whole pack.
    The chorizos are rather naughty aren't they?

Cheatin' Beef Style Slices, chilled, 100g pack
    Cheatin' Celebration Roast, 445g pack, chilled, 100g
    Cheatin' Chicken Style Slices, chilled, 100g pack 5 5 5
    Cheatin' Chorizo Style Chunks, chilled, 150g pack 16½ 16½ 16½
    Cheatin' Garlic Sausage Style Slices, chilled, 100g pack 5 5 5
    Cheatin' Ham Style Slices, chilled, 100g pack 5 5 5
    Cheatin' Meat Free Hotdog, chilled, 50g each
    Cheatin' Pepperoni Style Slices, 100g pack, chilled, 10g slice 1 1 1
    Add to food diary favourites Add to Shopping List
    1 2
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

thanks Jiffy

Quote Gattona View Post
    I made a discovery today. 42g of All bran is a blooming small amount I thought it would be more. looks like I've been having double quantities for quite a while.

Also, it looks like the Fry's sausages aren't free anymore. I couldn't find Fry's on the database thingy on line at all and my C says they have a syn value. Bother. I've not dared look at my other staple, the realeat chicken lumps. Pah!
    2 times a and b choices on green days.
    thats 84 g of bran-ny goodness. right?!

Dreading weigh- in tomorrow. We went away for a long weekend and things went rather awry. Mind you, it doesn't help when SWMBO comes out with timeless classics like " oh go on have some chips, you'll soon walk it off".

I even managed to sneak a couple of beers past the SWMBO Radar/Searchlight tower. I'm not buying any more Linda Mc Cartney sausage rolls either, not at 7.5 Syns each

I'm just hoping that being extra good since getting back and cycling at least 20 miles a day will have at least limited the damage.

Yet another reason for me to detest holidays.

Quote Jiffy View Post
    Dreading weigh- in tomorrow. We went away for a long weekend and things went rather awry. Mind you, it doesn't help when SWMBO comes out with timeless classics like " oh go on have some chips, you'll soon walk it off".

I even managed to sneak a couple of beers past the SWMBO Radar/Searchlight tower. I'm not buying any more Linda Mc Cartney sausage rolls either, not at 7.5 Syns each

I'm just hoping that being extra good since getting back and cycling at least 20 miles a day will have at least limited the damage.

Yet another reason for me to detest holidays.
    SWMBO??? My fingers are crossed for you, ditto toes - cycling that sort of distance should help enormously unless you just coast downhill

I've been making yummy tofu lately and think its one of those SW illogicalities that I didn't think of until I started making my own. Soya milk is limited as a HEX, right? Yet tofu is free and unlimited. Isn't it strange that messing about with a free food makes it become synful - that orange - of which I would only have eaten one anyway, promise - gains syns galore if juiced, yet take a HEXA, turn it into something that I can consume in a couple of mouthfuls and its free. I just don't get it.

Anyway, I'm working on a low syn cheeesecake filling with tofu and splenda but can't think of anything for the base, any creative ideas with scanbran or wheatabix>

Well that was interesting, by some miracle I lost 3 pounds which was enough to get me SOTW. Even more incredibly the SOTW goodie bag was 100% vegan this week, potatoes, brocolli, satsumas and a dried rice thing. Usually it's a veritable corpse fest.

I know what you mean about the inconsistencies, seems strange that fruit juice shouls be a Syn, must be the sugar content and the reduction in fibre.

If I can lose 3.5 pounds this week it'll be my first stone, a lot to shift in a week though.

SWMBO is 'she who must be obeyed' by the way. I believe Rumpole of the Bailey was fond of the expression.

I found this recipe on the SW website. Do you think it would work if I omitted the egg and used soya yogurt? I do have some egg replacer in the cupboard.

information

Serves: 4
    Prep time:
    Cook time:
    Syns per serving:
    FREEFREE

ingredients

2 large white potatoes, cooked and mashed to a firm consistency with no butter or milk
    1 red onion, diced
    ½ large bag of frozen chopped vegetable mix (sweetcorn, broccoli, carrot, cauliflower)
    2 tbsp curry powder (use mild, medium or hot to suit your own taste)
    3-4 tbsp fat free yogurt
    1 egg, beaten
    Fry Light

Hi, hoping to reactive this thread, currently on sw diet and would love to hook up with any other vegans currently doing the same.

Jean

hi Jean,

thanks for your persistance. It would be good to get this old support group going again. How is everyone? I've been unwell and in hospital, I guess I lost quite a bit with that experience but since being abole to eat again I've been very definitely overdoing the choccie bars, avocado sandwiches etc. It doesn't help being on ABs that leave a very nasty taste in the mouth, but eating 2 Fry's bars was a bit of an OTT way of dealing with that.

However, you have inspired me to face up to the reality of my wobbly belly again and get back into SW gear again.

How about a weigh in on Monday and share food diaries and see how we do? I don't think I want to weigh myself tomorrow .. coward that I am. Or, what day do you weigh yourself? I used to do Tuesdays actually but if I'm building up to doing this again I don't want to put it off too long.

Hi, thank you sooooo much for getting in touch, I would love to do a weekly weigh in how about Friday, that would be really good for me as I weigh in on minimins on a Monday in the vain hope of making me have a good weekend, and if I know I'm weighing in on a Friday I'll have to be good throughout the week as well!

OK. I will weigh myself tomorrow then if we do a public announcement on Friday I can say how much I've lost ..... cynical smile. No need to say how much we actually weigh unless we want to.

Today I had the first SW friendly breakfast since I don't know when - a plate of tofu made from a litre of tesco cheapy unsweetened soya milk and half a tin of beans. A bite of apple but somethings happened to the apples - they taste horrid so will need replacing. Now I will go and have a pint of barley cup with more soya milk.

Stay focused today MsJean!

Every one else, how about getting this going again. How are you all doing?

OK, I've almost started properly so will do a food diary today. If anyone reading this is about to get bored witless, please move onto another post asap

Breakfast: tofu and baked beans (ss)
    Lunch: Butter beans and tomatoes with 3 poppadoms (4.5 syns) 1 Banana
    Snack: Cashew nuts (not sure how many, hopefully not more than 2 x HEXB) popadom (1.5 syns)
    Supper: Dahl (red lentils onion and potato + stock and curry powder) and no rice, it didn't get cooked in time

The next bit is where I wasn't completely SW focused as I made a chocolate cake and had some myself - gazillions of syns I expect

HXA - unsweetened soya milk in hot drinks, didn't measure it but prob around 700ml for two healthy extras.

Eeek, I weigh myself tomorrow

How has your weekend been MsJean?

Well done for starting, hearing about tofu has made me want scrambled tofu, I love it with onion, tomato and curry powder, in fact I'm going to have it for breakfast. Will definitely post weight lost on Friday, she says sounding optimistic! Good luck this week.

Jean

excellent, a first double weight loss post to look forward to - the first AFAIK this forun has seen for months. I'm glad you posted then, I was sitting here tempted by the cake in the kitchen.