Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Slimming world as a vegan

Default Re: Slimming world as a vegan

Going in the right direction! Well done!

This week after I weighed myself and entered it online, I got 2 rice pudding recipes through. If only that had been last week!! My other half had a massive craving for rice pudding the other night, and I couldn't find a recipe on the Slimming World recipe finder, so found a few SW recipes for rice pudding which varied from blog to blog. All were for cooking on the hob in a pan. THIS recipe is for oven baking. PROPER rice pudding - nom! That's going to be Sunday night's pudding!
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

well done everyone. i think its extra hard to maintain this..the weather is so crappy atm, it just makes you wanna eat everything.

i feel like im eating WAY too much atm. its mostly all free or superfree stuff, and usually on a night. my mental headspace is like homer going 'eateateateat'. im meticulously filling in food diaries for fatclub woman, who has no worries about me, and im having a maxuimum of 12 syns a day..its usually between 5 and 8..but i feel doom laden about it and i dread going to get weighed.
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Guess it takes a while to believe that you really are being successful huh?
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

Eeek! How did I miss this?! I started this thread and no-one replied for a couple of months so I stopped checking back...and now here you all are! Hello!!

Well I have been doing SW since sept and I'm down about 8 pounds. I was doing better than that, but then xmas happened...been a bit tricky getting back on track since then.

What do you guys eat on an average day? Might be interesting to post some days of food on here to share ideas with each other?

Here's what I had:
    Green smoothie (banana, soya milk, spinach)
    Pasta with spinach and pasta sauce (3 syns for sauce)
    Mango
    20 cashews (heB)
    Roast cauliflower and sweet potatoes for tea (bit random but it's what was in the fridge, and it was great!)
    Lime tofu pudding (this recipe without the biscuits) : http://happyherbivore.com/2010/07/ke...-pie-parfaits/ it was really good, i recommend it! (3 syns for agave)
    Apple

Glad to be joining in with this discussion at last!!

So...what are your favourite things to "spend" syns on?

my syns go on boring stuff like chilli sauce and alpro choc puddings.
    ive got myself into a bit of a food rut.
    i lost a pound last week, so its definately slowing down.
    i think i need a shake up and maybe half a day focussing on making plans on buying ingredients and preparing stuff. hrrm.

Quote Muffin View Post
    Eeek! How did I miss this?! I started this thread and no-one replied for a couple of months so I stopped checking back...and now here you all are! Hello!!

Well I have been doing SW since sept and I'm down about 8 pounds. I was doing better than that, but then xmas happened...been a bit tricky getting back on track since then.

What do you guys eat on an average day? Might be interesting to post some days of food on here to share ideas with each other?

Here's what I had:
    Green smoothie (banana, soya milk, spinach)
    Pasta with spinach and pasta sauce (3 syns for sauce)
    Mango
    20 cashews (heB)
    Roast cauliflower and sweet potatoes for tea (bit random but it's what was in the fridge, and it was great!)
    Lime tofu pudding (this recipe without the biscuits) : http://happyherbivore.com/2010/07/ke...-pie-parfaits/ it was really good, i recommend it! (3 syns for agave)
    Apple

Glad to be joining in with this discussion at last!!

So...what are your favourite things to "spend" syns on?
    Hi Muffin,

what a good thing you checked back. I usually use my syns for stock cubes and pasta sauces and jam and marmalade and I've just discovered the M&S low fat dairy free spread which is nice. But I have a longing for chocolate today ... 10 syns for a Fry's bar ... mmmm

I looked at that recipe for the key lime pie and tried it with sweetner instead of agave. Yuck is all I can say, maybe I shouldn't be so parsimonious with my syns

Hi, I'm back.

My domestic life is far from sorted but I've got over binging and have lost 6 pounds in the last 8 days. A drop in the ocean compared with what I would like to shed but I'm very happy to be moving so definitely in the right direction at last.

Happy hugs to you all

I understood that stock cubes no longer have any syns? They used to but now all stocks are syn free including the cubes.

You're right, vava. Bouillon powder, stock cubes, liquid stock concentrate and ready to use liquid stock are all free.

stress is great for helping drop the weight - *sigh*

Quote pusskins View Post
    You're right, vava. Bouillon powder, stock cubes, liquid stock concentrate and ready to use liquid stock are all free.

brilliant news ! thanks

Quote vava View Post
    stress is great for helping drop the weight - *sigh*
    Sorry you're stressed. I find the opposite though - up until a week or so it was a case of gimme stress and I would eat to get through it ... I still have the extra stones to prove it

leedsveg

Quote pusskins View Post
    Yes, I have three square meals a day (= I chew 3 x veggie Oxo cubes) and I'm still losing weight.

Seriously, by eating healthier food and exercising more, I'm now down to 166 lbs having lost 6 lbs since the beginning of January. MrsLv has also lost 6 lbs.

Lv

That's...terrible, lv

Well done for the weight loss and increased exercise. Are your energy levels improving? Do you find you sleep better, etc.?

@vava - sorry to hear you're stressed. Like Gattona, I work the other way. I don't want to move and I end up eating carb-heavy foods by the bucketload, so it ends up being "Another loaf of bread? Why not. I've only had 1 today." Do you find SW helps you to focus on eating properly and structured-ly (?) when you are stressed?

Quote Gattona View Post
    Sorry you're stressed. I find the opposite though - up until a week or so it was a case of gimme stress and I would eat to get through it ... I still have the extra stones to prove it

I am glad you are back

I have the luxury of a couple of days off and am using it very well by catching up with the forum. One of my major frustrations at working full time again is having no time on my laptop!!! Stress city in my life at the moment!!!

Like you I deal with stress exactly the opposite..stressed I seek comfort in food particularly craving hot 'wholesome meals' as opposed to treats but too many too often! Jolly, carefree and in control I am beyond temptation!!! well almost anyway!

Slack

Quote leedsveg View Post
    Yes, I have three square meals a day (= I chew 3 x veggie Oxo cubes) and I'm still losing weight.

Seriously, by eating healthier food and exercising more, I'm now down to 166 lbs having lost 6 lbs since the beginning of January. MrsLv has also lost 6 lbs.

Lv
    boom boom!
    Dont give up the day job LV

Quote pusskins View Post
    That's...terrible, lv

Well done for the weight loss and increased exercise. Are your energy levels improving? Do you find you sleep better, etc.?

@vava - sorry to hear you're stressed. Like Gattona, I work the other way. I don't want to move and I end up eating carb-heavy foods by the bucketload, so it ends up being "Another loaf of bread? Why not. I've only had 1 today." Do you find SW helps you to focus on eating properly and structured-ly (?) when you are stressed?
    Only 1 loaf ? Cutting down?

Just realised...as I wobbled out to the kitchen for toast and coffee , being at home warm, cosy and workless makes me crave comfort food too...there really is no hope for me!!

Slack

leedsveg

Hi Slack

Fortunately, I'm now a retired senior gimmer. (I had wondered about becoming a Butlins comedic Redcoat...but I think I've probably got only half the necessary wit....)

lv

Quote leedsveg View Post
    Hi Slack

Fortunately, I'm now a retired senior gimmer. (I had wondered about becoming a Butlins comedic Redcoat...but I think I've probably got only half the necessary wit....)

lv
    More importantly LV ..do you have the orange tan?

When I get stressed I eat the wrong things - I ate sweets yesterday - chocolate limes and raspberry ruffles. I made some potato wedges and a huge salad for my evening meal with some caramelised onion hummus and I started to eat it and then I just couldn't. It went in the bin and I went upstairs and promptly ate some more sweets. Grrr.

leedsveg

Quote pusskins View Post
    Never had a problem sleeping. I do feel a bit more energetic but essentially when I go out running, which is what I enjoy doing, I want to be able to run further and faster by carrying less weight. Having the availability and use of a treadmill now means that my joints are better protected and I'm able to get exercise, when it's icy/windy/foggy outside.

lv

leedsveg

Quote SlackAlice View Post
    More importantly LV ..do you have the orange tan?
    No Slack, but I'll have a reet proper tan after the scorching summer we're going to have this year in Leeds....

lv

leedsveg

Quote vava View Post
    When I get stressed I eat the wrong things - I ate sweets yesterday - chocolate limes and raspberry ruffles. I made some potato wedges and a huge salad for my evening meal with some caramelised onion hummus and I started to eat it and then I just couldn't. It went in the bin and I went upstairs and promptly ate some more sweets. Grrr.
    Best and easiest time, I think, to be firm with yourself vava, is in the shop. If you don't buy the sweets, then you won't have them in at home and so can't be tempted. I used to buy the dozen packs of crisps and I'd eat 4 or 5 packets later that day. I don't buy them now and only eat them at somebody else's house (where you can't really munch so many packets, unless you want to look like a total "scoffer"). We now have plenty of fruit in, for which there's not the same urge to comfort eat.

lv (who can resist anything but temptation)

Aye LV you are right although my excuse is that I am still working my way through a whole jar of raspberry ruffles that my lovely daughter bought me for christmas.

leedsveg

Quote vava View Post
    Aye LV you are right although my excuse is that I am still working my way through a whole jar of raspberry ruffles that my lovely daughter bought me for christmas.
    Best when people unintentionally buy you nonvegan sweets, so there's no temptation and you give them away.

(I've just realised that I've turned into a puritan......)

Lv

hello everyone. nice to see lotsw of posts on here today!
    is good that gattona is back..slack alice joined the thread?? and vava is still getting through the raspberry ruffles??

is a good tactic though not to have them in the house. im not sure its always practical. i had to ask my boss to put biscuits in the work safe. meh. it worked.

i gtot weighed this morning and was pretty stunned to see ive lost 5 1/2 lbs this week. i was sure id put on. it really is erratic. i dont do anything specific one week to the next. i was mortified everyone turned round in their chairs to look at me, could feel my face burning up. so i got my 2 1/2 stone sticker and certificate and another 3 lbs and i will have lost 3 stones exactly. its nice, people are starting to say stuff..that i look well, things like that. 4 different people in one day yesterday. its embarrassing, but kind of nice too.

Quote vava View Post
    Still got some of a jar full from Christmas? You don't know the meaning of binging

cobweb

Quote emmapresley View Post
    is good that gattona is back..slack alice joined the thread?? and vava is still getting through the raspberry ruffles??

is a good tactic though not to have them in the house. im not sure its always practical. i had to ask my boss to put biscuits in the work safe. meh. it worked.

i gtot weighed this morning and was pretty stunned to see ive lost 5 1/2 lbs this week. i was sure id put on. it really is erratic. i dont do anything specific one week to the next. i was mortified everyone turned round in their chairs to look at me, could feel my face burning up. so i got my 2 1/2 stone sticker and certificate and another 3 lbs and i will have lost 3 stones exactly. its nice, people are starting to say stuff..that i look well, things like that. 4 different people in one day yesterday. its embarrassing, but kind of nice too.

Wow you are doing so well, that is freakin fantastic! .
    Mysterious though, how you say it happens erratically, very intriguing! .
    I hope we'll see a picture of you soon, you should be really proud of yourself! .

^^^ what cobweb says. Well done, emmapresley!!

@ LV - give them away?????????? But, but, they are RASPBERRY RUFFLES man!

@EP bloody mahvellous dahlink!

@gattona - no thankfully I am not a binge-er (sp.) just an avid grazer or a too much on the plater!

Actually that is something I find quite fascinating - the amount that people put on their plates or put in their bowls - wonder what determines it? One person who has enough has a small amount on their plate and unless the plate is piled high another person thinks that the amount of food is skimpy. Wonder if it is just custom and practice?
    Last edited by vava; Feb 16th, 2011 at 11:10 AM. Reason: afterthought

leedsveg

Quote vava View Post
    Actually that is something I find quite fascinating - the amount that people put on their plates or put in their bowls - wonder what determines it? One person who has enough has a small amount on their plate and unless the plate is piled high another person thinks that the amount of food is skimpy. Wonder if it is just custom and practice?
    The last time I went to an "all you can eat for £x" place, I found it really difficult to just put a sensible amount of food on my plate and not go back for more. Somehow, if you don't to back to refill once or twice (or even thrice!), you have the feeling that you are not getting as much value for money. In that programme that was on tv a couple of months ago (was it called something like "10 tips for sucessfully losing weight"?) I seem to remember that the 1st tip was to start using a smaller plate. You eat less because you serve yourself less but you get the same psychological satisfaction as if you'd cleared the larger plateful. Really interests me, the 'psychology of eating'.

lv

Wow well done emma!!!!! thats brilliant. I have done that at Weightwatchers -sort of embarrassing but fantastic all at the same time.

I joined this thread (and many others!!) yesterday as I got caught up in a frenzy of forum activity!! I was overcome with the luxury of having a day off and decided to use it for ME for a change. I get so frustrated because I never get chance to do it normally. Crazy really..I felt guilty for doing that when I could have been ironing/cleaning/ gardening or whatever but life is just too short!

Back to work tomorrow so see you all....umm whens the next bank holiday ???

Slack

Well done EmmaP You've really done well. Wow, 5 1/2 lbs in a week and you thought you'd gained.

I've lost similar amounts in the past and know that feeling of being pleased with myself. I have even had people not recognise me - I lost almost 4 stone that time. But at the same time a little bit of me is thinking that what they are really saying is how crap I looked before. And that doesn't please me at all. I hate the way our concepts of what is attractive or not are so moulded by external factors. So, at size 24 in this century in the western world I was disgusting. Another time and another place I could have been the most desirable woman around. Crazy. I've also been discovering that it is actually more of a health risk to be slightly underweight than to be slightly overweight and that the most dangerous is yo yo dieting - that's me headed for a heart attack or whatever.

Aaah, I'm just feeling rebellious but at the same time pleased that I've lost half a stone and am an (I'm going to shout here) EX BINGER

Well done EmmaP You've really done well. Wow, 5 1/2 lbs in a week and you thought you'd gained.

I've lost similar amounts in the past and know that feeling of being pleased with myself. I have even had people not recognise me - I lost almost 4 stone that time. But at the same time a little bit of me is thinking that what they are really saying is how crap I looked before. And that doesn't please me at all. I hate the way our concepts of what is attractive or not are so moulded by external factors. So, at size 24 in this century in the western world I was disgusting. Another time and another place I could have been the most desirable woman around. Crazy. I've also been discovering that it is actually more of a health risk to be slightly underweight than to be slightly overweight and that the most dangerous is yo yo dieting - that's me headed for a heart attack or whatever.

Aaah, I'm just feeling rebellious but at the same time pleased that I've lost half a stone and am an (I'm going to shout here) EX BINGER

Hmmm - I was entering my weight for the week on My Slimming World this morning, and this time it asked me to check and reenter my weight and then I got a stern page about having lost too much this week! I felt really bad! Problem is, there is no option to put "period bloat"! Last week was awful, as I was in a really bad state of water and wind retention (because you all needed to know that! ), thanks to my period. So my weight loss this week was 3.5kg, which I know is too much, but I haven't changed any of my eating patterns.

Onwards. Next week I'll have lost nowt

@ pusskins 3.5kg ook!

@ LV - the whole food thing is a minefield - I totally get where you are coming from with the stuff your face it is good value thing tho. On an unrelated note I used to have half a cup of porrige and a cup of milk mixed for my breakfast and I decided to cut that amount in half - I add some agave and a rounded teaspoon of crushed linseeds and I don't know whether it is the linseeds that is doing it but I don't notice the difference! I feel as full and satisfied eating half the amount that I used to. My husband and I have just bought some smaller plates as well - it definitely works - mind you we bought them because we bought a new dishwasher and the plates we had before didn't fit in it. How ridiculous is that? We looked everywhere for smaller plates in vain - they all seem to be a certain defined size or larger unless you move to a side plate. Luckily we managed to find some pyrex ones that do the trick nicely.

leedsveg

I bought 2 books some years ago and they seemed to be quite perceptive regarding the problems of overeating. They are "Fat is a feminist issue" by Susie Orbach and "Overcoming overeating" by Jane Hirschmann and Carol Munter. Think it's time for me to reread them. Another book I found very interesting was "Slim 4 Life"by Jason Vale. No good me reading books though if I don't fully put into practice the good advice I've gleaned from them.

Leedsveg

Leeds Veg - are you serious - I thought for years that just buying the books and putting them on my shelf with the intention of reading them some day would be all that was necessary - crap. That's where I have been going wrong then.
    Last edited by vava; Feb 17th, 2011 at 05:13 PM. Reason: sp

leedsveg

Quote vava View Post
    Leeds Veg - are you serious - I thought for years that just buying the books and putting them on my shelf with the intention of reading them some day would be all that was necessary - crap. That's where I have been going wrong then.
    No, I've actually read the 3 books I mentioned and made some changes in my life. But I also have a load of (unread) cookery books, classic books etc that impress the casual visitor.

Leedsveg

Quote leedsveg View Post
    I bought 2 books some years ago and they seemed to be quite perceptive regarding the problems of overeating. They are "Fat is a feminist issue" by Susie Orbach and "Overcoming overeating" by Jane Hirschmann and Carol Munter. Think it's time for me to reread them. Another book I found very interesting was "Slim 4 Life"by Jason Vale. No good me reading books though if I don't fully put into practice the good advice I've gleaned from them.

Leedsveg
    I've enjoyed FIFI but don't know the others. I'd be interested to hear your perspective as a man on Fat is a feminist issue. I think the ways of looking for insights into why we eat as we do and looking for the underlying reasons for being overweight are excellent but so women orientated I'm impressed to see you mention it.

As a totally off topic aside, do you or have you ever sold T Shirts on Ebay?

Quote vava View Post
    Aah, indeed that is where you have been going wrong. For the osmotic effect to work you have to actually be in close contact, like keep them under the pillow. That's what I do anyway

this thread is full of nutters - huzzah!

[QUOTE=Gattona;675606]I'd be interested to hear your perspective as a man on Fat is a feminist issue. I think the ways of looking for insights into why we eat as we do and looking for the underlying reasons for being overweight are excellent but so women orientated I'm impressed to see you mention it.
    QUOTE]

I would be interested in that too leeds...

My only insight into fat as a male issue was from an ex boyfriend of mine...

He is 6'4 and weighs at his heaviest about 24 stone. He has a big personality to match his big frame, is the life and soul of the party and is continually cracking 'fat man jokes' at himself. As he explained to me he could hardly have been a shrinking violet as he is far too visual to hide in the crowd. His personality has been formed directly as a result of his size and his constant need to convince the outside world ( and himself) that he is comfortable and confident with his body.

But I know different..I have seen him at home and talked to him about his relationship with food. He hates food , despises it even as he puts it in his mouth. He has had a life long addiction to it and regularly binges to an alarming rate. After binges he is angry with himself and becomes depressed and reclusive. Worse still..he seeks company in his addiction and encouraged me to over eat with him . He is aware he does this and explains it is because he feels normal if someone else is eating too .

Twice in the five years I have known him as a boyfriend and then as a friend he has lost vast amounts of weight. We even attended Weight Watchers together at one point. He has lost up to six stone on one occasion. While dieting he becomes obsession about calorie intake and withdrawn. His personality changes and he drops the 'joker' act. He fixates on food , talking of nothing else and terrified of backsliding (which he inevitably does).

His unhealthy relationship with food extended far beyond my own and quite frankly unnerved me at times. It was incredibly sad to witness such a struggle and see the devastation that this addiction caused to him personally and as a result the relationships he had with his family and friends.

ty all.

lol carol munter. unfortunate name.

*snortle*

leedsveg

Quote Gattona View Post
    I've enjoyed FIFI but don't know the others. I'd be interested to hear your perspective as a man on Fat is a feminist issue. I think the ways of looking for insights into why we eat as we do and looking for the underlying reasons for being overweight are excellent but so women orientated I'm impressed to see you mention it.

As a totally off topic aside, do you or have you ever sold T Shirts on Ebay?
    Obviously the book was written by a woman for women and with the best will in the world on my part, it was always likely to have more resonance for "an overeating woman" than it was for a male "overeating me". Although I'm now gradually understanding what it means to be an old(er) person, purely by becoming old(er), there's nothing I can do to change my birth gender (or birth ethnicity, come to think of it). But I think it was worth buying and reading FIFI because it gave me views (insights?) from a different/feminist perspective and also there were common themes for both men and women who are compulsive eaters. A difficulty for a man reading feminist literature is that if you read something that doesn't make sense to you, is it because it is nonsense, or is it because as a man, you have been conditioned to perceive/filter it as nonsense?

Never bought or sold anything on eBay, Gattona.

Emmapressley. Go to the naughty seat.

Leedsveg

Well so help me I've just bought the 3 month online subscription. A little overwhelmed by all the information tbh but I think I get the gist
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

Thank you LV .. this was an interesting point >>>> A difficulty for a man reading feminist literature is that if you read something that doesn't make sense to you, is it because it is nonsense, or is it because as a man, you have been conditioned to perceive/filter it as nonsense? <<<< its prompted me to:

a) Put this book on the 'to read again' pile but not straight away as I need material other than 'inner approach to weight loss' to enjoy
    b) Wonder about my reaction to reading to political type books by authors of a different ethnicity to myself.

As for ebay .. oh well, it was a nice t shirt

Quote Poison Ivy View Post
    Well so help me I've just bought the 3 month online subscription. A little overwhelmed by all the information tbh but I think I get the gist
    If you've any questions, do ask. Good luck.

^ easy peasy food combining PI plus a few extra bits. veganwise its the easiest healthy eating plan going.

I started with the 3 month online plan and at the end of it you have a fair overview of how to eat for the plan - I didn't re-new for this reason. I found the search a bit dodgy at first but you just need to be really precise with it and it is fine.