Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Slimming world as a vegan

Default Re: Slimming world as a vegan

she did!! with a spoon!

i had another good look around the website yesterday..put in my details..the weigh in thing that plots predicted chart success (sounding like an x-factorite there). that's actually pretty cool. i skipped down to december this year to see how deliciously slender i would be by then if i keep losing, so its a good incentive, no?

also had a play with the syns calculator..or snackulator or whatever they call it, those witty people at slimming world.
    i have some satay beancurd i get from the oriental supermarket in leeds. this stuff is yummy..and last week i ate an entire packet omnomnom.. put in the fat, calories, portion size (30g) and it works out at 6 1/2 syns a 30g portion. oops.

that's a great thing thats on there..im gonna use that more often cos sometimes it's true i have just guessed and then not had any syns the next day..which i think its pretty easy on a vegan diet?? are you finding it easy enough to fill up on free and superfree stuff ato the point where you dont feel you need to use your syns?
    Last edited by emmapresley; Jan 4th, 2011 at 05:45 PM. Reason: heh. i put tnext year..still getting my head round it being 2011
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

oh i could......... one of the reasons i couldn't 'do' slimming world, i eat it every day, i'm in love with it, on toast, on cut up apple, on its own straight from the jar, bear in mind b4 being vegan this is the girl who could eat two packets of chocolate fingers and not feel sick, oh yes i'm bad!! just aswell i walk everywhere i can and have a shed load of animals to look after or else i'd be the size of a hoose!

I got an email back from the Slimming World peeps about the dairy-free factsheet thingy:

Hi *****
    Many thanks for your e-mail, if you go to Useful Features and use dairy free as your keyword you will find the feature you require, you will also find dairy alternatives in the Healthy Extra 'A' section which you have printed off or in the online food dairy.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards
    Helen and the team at Slimming World Online
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

Talking of peanut butter, is it a healthy extra? I got waylaid by a jar earlier but havn't had any healthy extras yet and am hoping that it is ... wishful thinking maybe. I was too tired to go to the meeting this week so havn't got my book yet. Thanks

i don't think it is a healthy extra, no. which is a bummer.

i lost 5 1/2 lbs this last week!!
    i was pretty shocked tbh, i haven't done anythng radically different to any other week.. a friend has noticed a 'pattern' evolving..i remain sceptical, but at the end of januray, if the pattern is the same as the last two months then ill be er, slightly less sceptical.

i got the basket of joy too..well, its the 2nd time i've had to go to the weds night group and i usually go to the tues dam one, so the people are obviously different. both times i've waltzed (waddled) in and lost the most amount of weight in the group and took away theiur basket of joy. this time someone had put in maltesers and ye olde oak ham (MMM)..i ran (waddled) after a woman who was raving on about how the stuff chopped up in a bowl of mushy pies tasted like a pie, and gave the stuff to her, but took the maltesers home for the teen. i heard one of the women bitterly sying to another one .."well, she cant eat those..."

but really..they sit around in the corner like its a witches coven and yabber on about how its a social thing to eat chocolate and drink baileys. one of them put on 11 1/2 lbs this last week. WTF. liquid lard?

Oh well ... thanks. 5 and and a half pounds, flip! well done you. But what is the consultant thinking of, letting things like that into the prize basket, I've always been to really strict groups its fruit or those low cal bars .. or something thats free like tuna on red days. Maltesers FFS! I do know what you mean about the 'Image .. whatever chats ... but the last group I went to and plan to return to was pretty good, inspiring leader and quite a lot of the people there seemed quite reasonable with a few veggies amongst the omnis.

The whole dairy thing in this is misleading and the meat cooking scenes are a bit gross but the whole ethos here and the science is amazing. Well worth a look.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...Losing_Weight/
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

Quote vava View Post
    The whole dairy thing in this is misleading and the meat cooking scenes are a bit gross but the whole ethos here and the science is amazing. Well worth a look.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...Losing_Weight/
    Just started watching. Yay, soup! That's what I'm basing my diet on, really, since it's so perishing at the moment.

EDIT You're right about the dairy thing being misleading! They didn't even try a control with non-dairy calcium and WOOO! you could save a "massive 2kg" over a YEAR. Feh!
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

I was fascinated by the exercise afterburn and the 10% extra protein bit as well - may go back to protein shakes for breakfast. MMMM banana shakes.

Yeah, but they annoyed me by leaving out other information like how much you'd burn just sitting around doing nothing anyway I also got the impression that those men weren't big comfort/boredom eaters, which is where I fall down a lot.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Quote twinkle View Post
    Yeah, but they annoyed me by leaving out other information like how much you'd burn just sitting around doing nothing anyway I also got the impression that those men weren't big comfort/boredom eaters, which is where I fall down a lot.
    I don't think there are many folk around tht just eat purely because they are hungry. I know I eat when I am bored, sometimes just because I have food in that I like and sometimes out of habit i.e if I get used to having something sweet to eat after supper then I am looking for the same every night. maybe I am just suffering from lack of self will!

super-yay.

i lost 4 1/2 lbs this week, won a lovely certificate and another shiny sticker for my book, the inaptly titled basket of joy, and got the club ten thingy.
    it's been a shite week here so go me. i'm really pleased.

anna made sausagey rolls in food tech in school today. (puff pastry and granose boirgoir mix) i'm afraid i ate an entire one, nuked in the microwave and smothered in tomato sauce, fuck me if it didn't taste amazing..but it left me with a nasty greasy roof of the mouth thing for afters. yeuch!

cobweb

how much weight have you lost altogether now, emmap?
    (*is full of admiration*)

cobweb

Think I might go for it this Thursday, there's a new group leader and a new time, and it's pretty close to my house............

oh do go cobweb, you can be in the veganical slimming world gang then and get stickers and the like.
    i lost a bit..innit ;0)

cobweb

ooh, tell me how much, please, it'll spur me on! (pm me!!)
    Is it easy to work out with stuff like tofu and seitan, how much you can have?

ung..i lost 2 stones.a few pounds more than.
    i forgot to say as well..a noob fatty (oh sod it, i can say that) started at our group and brought something for the BoJ, i think it was her 2nd week..it was lovely looking, a total change from all those bloody packets of crappy pasta in sauce and inferior looking tins of borlotti beans that noone (and not even our very own beanstew) would use.

it was a card that had a lovely message in it, all inspiring and swoopily written, and a face mask and some bath crystal things..actually labelled vegan (i went "oooh!")
    i said in group (why do they call in in group..stay to group..where is *the*..where?) that it was really nice!! at the end of a really hard week stuffing your face with pasta and chips, it was a really nice treaty thing to get..and she went all badass on me and said it was meant to be food..FOOD!! can you imagine.

where's the logic that someone would put in a ruddy great box of maltesers, but have a problem with some relaxation bathtime stuffs??
    next week i'm so taking those manky looking borlotti beans back and eating a cake on sunday night so i dont have to bring them back on tuesday morning. gah.

you can eat as much tofu as you can cram in..i make the scrambl;ed variety from vwav much. also use linda mac sausages..i think theyre one or maybe 2 syns each. alison will know. and frys stuff meaty stuff, like hot dogs and the stir fry stuff i eat plenty of too.
    have to say mostly this last week ive been having chips, pasta and cold tinned spaghetti. appalling really. oh i had a sharon fruit too.

Quote emmapresley View Post
    super-yay.

i lost 4 1/2 lbs this week, won a lovely certificate and another shiny sticker for my book, the inaptly titled basket of joy, and got the club ten thingy.
    it's been a shite week here so go me. i'm really pleased.

anna made sausagey rolls in food tech in school today. (puff pastry and granose boirgoir mix) i'm afraid i ate an entire one, nuked in the microwave and smothered in tomato sauce, fuck me if it didn't taste amazing..but it left me with a nasty greasy roof of the mouth thing for afters. yeuch!
    Wooooo. Well done you. I went back this week - to my favourite group - got a hug from the sweet leader and a shock, well it wasn't a shock, I knew what I'd done to myself, on the scales. so .. 4 1/2 lbs eh ... what do you reckon for next week then? This is a challenge

ung..i lost 2 stones.a few pounds more than.
    i forgot to say as well..a noob fatty (oh sod it, i can say that) started at our group and brought something for the BoJ, i think it was her 2nd week..it was lovely looking, a total change from all those bloody packets of crappy pasta in sauce and inferior looking tins of borlotti beans that noone (and not even our very own beanstew) would use.

it was a card that had a lovely message in it, all inspiring and swoopily written, and a face mask and some bath crystal things..actually labelled vegan (i went "oooh!")
    i said in group (why do they call in in group..stay to group..where is *the*..where?) that it was really nice!! at the end of a really hard week stuffing your face with pasta and chips, it was a really nice treaty thing to get..and she went all badass on me and said it was meant to be food..FOOD!! can you imagine.

where's the logic that someone would put in a ruddy great box of maltesers, but have a problem with some relaxation bathtime stuffs??
    next week i'm so taking those manky looking borlotti beans back and eating a cake on sunday night so i dont have to bring them back on tuesday morning. gah.
    Pah, your group leader's discretion in the prize basket is sadly lacking. To be polite about it. Maltesers for heavens sake. If we get odd things get put in our FRUIT ( ) basket they get put in as raffle prizes so someone gets them as a separate goody.Vegan bath smellies sound great to me. Tonight we had a wally gadget for getting skins off garlic and some tinfoil freezer containers but I think the group leader bought those in

cobweb

Bloody stupid having food, should be all nice non food treats shouldn't it? .
    I'm definitely going tomorrow night, I saw myself in a shop mirror today and went *arrrgggggghhhhhhhh nooooooooo!* so that's it now.
    Emmap that's freakin awesome, how much you've lost, well done old bean (Borlotti Bean ).
    Ha-ha, my husband's evil ex is called Sharon, I always chortle about Sharon Fruits .

Quote cobweb View Post
    Bloody stupid having food, should be all nice non food treats shouldn't it? .
    I'm definitely going tomorrow night, I saw myself in a shop mirror today and went *arrrgggggghhhhhhhh nooooooooo!* so that's it now.
    Emmap that's freakin awesome, how much you've lost, well done old bean (Borlotti Bean ).
    Ha-ha, my husband's evil ex is called Sharon, I always chortle about Sharon Fruits .
    I hope it goes well for you. I think the point of the fruit basket is that the idea with SW is you can eat massively and still lose weight. No portion control here. Buuuuuuut as we've already discussed, you can go overboard on vegan free foods and it won't work whatever the consultants say. Truely though, no one needs to be hungry with SW. I've seen people lose loads and eat loads as well.

cobweb

^ thanks, I hope I can eat loads and lose loads, too!

I'm doing some syns calculations here.

Provamel organic yogs 41/2 syns per pot,

Eeek, look at this, vegi deli hot dogs come up as 6 1/2 syns per sausage. Flip!!!! Why can't flippin' quorn be vegan

Cheezly Cheddar Style, Cranberries, 28g, Cheezly Cheddar Style, Garlic & Herb, 28g, Nach and Chedder styles all 28g: 3½ syns
    Cheezly Edam Style, Super Melting, 28g, Cheezly Gouda Style, Super Melting 28g Greek, Mozzerella, 4 syns

vegi deli hot dog sausages are dense beyond words!

fry's are free aren't they? i mean like in place of quorn sausages?
    i've noticed my taste buds changing too. i ate one oreo last week and felt pretty sickened by it?
    i am kind of craving semi late night eats this week though. am thinking star week *rolls eyes* is looming.

vegi deli hot dog sausages are dense beyond words!

fry's are free aren't they? i mean like in place of quorn sausages?
    i've noticed my taste buds changing too. i ate one oreo last week and felt pretty sickened by it?
    i am kind of craving semi late night eats this week though. am thinking star week *rolls eyes* is looming.
    Fry's are free? Where did you get that from? Wow, could this be true? My life is about to change.

And oreos, vegan oreos? I did see an ad on vegan village a while back but are they more available? I've just remembered, we did get a version from a kosher shop years ago but I wasn't that keen on them. I get late night cravings to but my euphemistically misnamed star weeks are long gone lol

Ooookay, I just looked them up. The traditional vegetarian sausages are free. Yay And the country herb version are one syn each. Woo hoo

my source of this information is alisont
    i've been eating them like they're going out of fashion and i'm losing, so. yuhhuh!~

scoff on!
    i'm wanting food now..i have a semi ripe persimmon in the bowl..might go gnaw on that. that and a banana. cup of tea, then bed. plan!

omg, sharon fruits are so good.

i've really noticed, cos i'm not a fruit loving person, the idea of eating an orange doesn't do much for me, just fruit since i started eating essentially all superfree/free foods and all bran and not much packaged stuff..the packaged stuff tastes not good and the fruit is really sweet. that oreo i had last thursday tasted too sickly and salty also.
    have you found anything like that?

i had my weigh in this morning and have lost 1 1/2lbs this last week. which is pretty good, just nothing like any of the other weeks where i've lost up to 4 times as much as that. there doesn;t always seem to be a rhyme or reason to it, i don't madly vary the amounts of naughty stuff, so i don't really understand how it works.

*star* week this week. oh does anyone really need to know it?! so felt like eating everything in site. i've got a mega bag of fresh cherries for later when i've finshed tea and have to wait until breakfast. ungg. how's everyone getting on? vava? gattona?

Absolutely poo - I have had loads of sweets for christmas and my dieting mojo has gone. I got down to 9st 8 and now I am back to 9st 12. I really need to get my gob in gear! I was reading the what sort of food do you eat on here that Korn started and his food looks really healthy and I would love to eat it but I would be the size of a hoose if I did!

This is what I eat when I am trying to lose weight. morning cereal - usually allbran and soya milk - midmorning a piece of fruit - I try to avoid bananas - lunch quick noodles from sainsbugs and a piece or two of fruit. Mid afternoon more fruit and a few cups of coffee with soya milk and supper is normally something I can be bothered to throw together. Sometimes it is peas fake meat and potaooes from my actifry in the form of chips or wedges and soemtimes soup. At the mo it is leek potato and rice soup. Unfortunately my job is really sedentary so I use no calories on exercise during the day and although I go to the gym it is not often enough to make a difference. Grumble grumble. I have a jar of raspberry ruffles calling to me as well waaaaaaah!

I'm not getting on as fast as I'd like, but climbing the stairs (12 flights of 18 stairs = 218) every day is slowly getting easier! I almost made it to the top at a reasonable pace without having to stop and gasp raggedly while flopping over the handrail today!

Baaaaad, I didn't even get to weigh in, its been an abysmal week. I started off so well but .. well, in a nutshell I split up with my husband, he got diagnosed as bipolar - sickening as it has ruined his life and he could have been treated long ago instead of being palmed off with anti depressants that don't work - my son has had to go to hospital and I've problems with my daughter and her boyfriend. I cooked for them all and succumbed myself and ate crisps and more because I felt bad about eating. Ho hum, there's always next week ...... and I've let my husband back in the house ....

Well done Emma, you're still losing, some weeks are slower.Don't worry. Yum to cherries, I've not seen any affordable around here yet but melons are still available, a SS food I love.

leedsveg

Trying to lose around 12 lbs, (currently 172 lbs BMI 24.8) with exercise and cutting down on unhealthy foods. Exercise (currently 40 mins on treadmill per day x 4 days per week) = no problem, but as somebody commented earlier, eating only when physically hungry= not easy.

lv

I have to admit that, so far, I am finding Slimming World a FANTASTIC way to lose weight, especially for vegans! And not only to lose weight - I truly don't see it as a diet, but as a valid and sustainable lifestyle. Oh my, I sound like I'm being paid to say this It really does work. My other half is finally eating shedloads of fruit - an ongoing battle since we first met! And we're rarely hungry. My other half tried WW in the past and found it a bit too restricting.

Since we started on 30th Jan, I have lost 4.7kg. And I'm doing it sensibly

I'll stop raving now.

Not meaning to stand on any toes here but I think it is much easier for people who have more to lose to drop the weight - no bad thing I know but I found it quite difficult and had to severely ration my portion sizes to get the desired effects. Now that makes me sound like a total pig - perhaps that is the bit I missed.

I agree you, vava. Doesn't help that I watch The Biggest Loser religiously, either. 22lb dropped in a week! But then, they do weigh about 300+lb. And, of course, a phenomenally radical change in their food intake and type of food they eat and in their fitness regimes means the weight loss is bound to be massive for really large people.

Apologies from me too if I tread on anybody's toes! Absolutely no offence intended.

22 pounds - in a week? surely that cant be good for your health? Don't they all get gallstones?

The record on The Biggest Loser for most weight lost in a week is 41lbs

*splutters tea on keyboard!*

WHAAAT?!

when is this programme on?

i lost 2 1/2 lbs this last week. put on 1 1/2 lbs the week before and lost 1 1/2 lbs the week before that. it's so weird and erratic.
    i just want to eat all the time atm.

Season 9 of the The Biggest Loser US (the original and the best!) is currently on LivingIt at 9pm on Tuesdays. The (revived) UK version is on Mondays on ITV at 9pm. We also get the Australian version on Sky sometimes.

WHAAAT?!

when is this programme on?

i lost 2 1/2 lbs this last week. put on 1 1/2 lbs the week before and lost 1 1/2 lbs the week before that. it's so weird and erratic.
    i just want to eat all the time atm.
    that would them there hermionies!

leedsveg

So far, I've lost 3.5 lbs in the last 4 weeks, now down to 168.5 lbs. Eating plenty of fresh fruit + veg and munching on carrots when either hungry or "hungry". Exercising for 30-40 mins every day.

Leedsveg

That's really good going, leedsveg

leedsveg

Quote pusskins View Post
    That's really good going, leedsveg
    For the sake of my joints, I need to lose a little more weight if I want to keep on running into my 70s, 80s and 90s. I understand there's a prize of $100,000 for the first person aged 100+ years old, to complete a marathon.

Quote leedsveg View Post
    So far, I've lost 3.5 lbs in the last 4 weeks, now down to 168.5 lbs. Eating plenty of fresh fruit + veg and munching on carrots when either hungry or "hungry". Exercising for 30-40 mins every day.

Leedsveg
    I know what you mean about the hungry - I trained myself to wait until my stomach rumbled. Was weird cos like negative feedback - I was delighted each time my stomach rumbled.

I weighed myself this morning and was pleased to see I was on the 00 of the amount of stones I am, so it's only 1 lb away from that psychological "woo!" of the next stone down

Excellent! onwards and downwards - that always sounds just wrong!

Good going, twinkle. I know exactly what you mean!

I weighed myself yesterday morning, and am down 1kg. Yay!

oooo - I am down too - about quarter of a pound!