Thread: Five Star fruit

Default Five Star fruit

I had a real treat today, as a friend of mine brought a bagfull of 5-star fruits that had fallen from the overloaded tree in her garden. The fruit does have a 'proper' name, but because of its shape, that's what we call it here. And they were juicy and tasty.
    Eve

We just call them star fruit. The proper name is carambola. They are yummy - they remind me of a cross between an apple and citrus

Thanks for that banana, I couldn't recall the name. On Saturday I'll be helping out that friend of mine at the animal refuge, and hopefully she'll bring some more carambola along!
    Eve

I've seen these in the stores but never knew what to do with them. Do you peel them? Are the seeds edible (I assume they're seeds in it)? How do I tell a good one from a gone-off one?

I know it's a lot of questions, but I really know absolutely nothing about them, except their proper name (thanks, banana ) and I need loads of help.

You don't need to peel them. Most people put them in fruit salad. They slice them up and you get a pretty star shape.

I like to just trim off the edges first, then cut off pieces and eat - lovely and juicy. They are nice and ripe when a pinky sort of colour. As banana says, no need to peel, and yes there are a few small, smooth stones to spit out! And if you cut cross-ways, then you get that five-pointed star.
    Eve