Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bristol Vegfest UK: Saturday May 28th & Sunday May 29th 2011

Default Re: Bristol Vegfest UK: Saturday May 28th & Sunday May 29th 2011

Risker is right. Day trip for you lady. Please consider coming?
    Sometimes the journey is as much a part enjoyable of the trip as the actual thingy of wherever you're going.
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

cobweb

You're right, I am definitely re-thinking..........just got to make sure that the child and man will be ok together now! (child, while vegan, doesn't want to come - but I understand because he's a terrible traveller, I myself like trains).

cobweb

I definitely cannot go. Spoke to my husband and he basically isn't prepared to 'babysit' (his word! ) OUR son!.
    This does pee me off a bit, but at the same time I do see his point, he can barely look after himself truth be told, and he's in so much pain all the time these days he feels like rolling over and giving up !.
    Basically wherever I go these days, if it's for longer than a couple of hours, I have to take both of them with me + wheelchair. That makes me quite sad really, sometimes I feel like running away .
    It's probably worse for them though. Oops, sorry to ramble on.
    Everyone who is going, have lods of fun and food and hugs xxxx :smile:.

I am so pleased about the new arrangements, I think it is all going to be confined to one area instead of two like last year. But the main improvement is you have a choice regarding the music. Personally the festivals music does nothing for me being a fan of punk rock and heavy metal. But the Veg side of the festival in the day is great really looking forward to it.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

Got my music tickets through on Saturday

Don't forget to book yours soon
    I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan

For those of us not too keen on the musical offerings, perhaps there is something else we could do come the evenings? Any body local / experienced have any suggestions?
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

http://www.cafe-kino.com/
    See above link to Cafe Kino. If you definately don't want to stay at the fayre in the evening then I would recommend it. It has moved since last year and now is very much larger , bright and generally lovely. It has a downstairs area which can be hired for gigs and the like so you could even ask if you could book that. Plus you get to see the site of the recent "Tesco riot" which is just outside the door! It's not far from the centre of town or there are also bars and later night places along Stokes Croft like Canteen:
    http://thecanteenbristol.wordpress.com/

Great, thanks Cookey! Also had no idea that Cafe Kino had moved - was thinking that your single mingle evening may get a little cramped

So what are people's thoughts re the music side of things/evenings? Pointless looking into alternatives any further if it's just myself being sour grape like.

http://www.metropolisbristol.co.uk/

The above comedy club is also very nearby - unfortunately, you will miss the Wurzels who are playing on the Thursday!

Quote Gwydion View Post
    So what are people's thoughts re the music side of things/evenings? Pointless looking into alternatives any further if it's just myself being sour grape like.
    There will be a break between the fayre closing and the music starting. The event is on until 11 but music will probably finish before that.

So there is time after the fayre and later on to move on to other things.

On the basis that the fayre is free this year - if the music contributes a little something to help pay for the event then i'd rather do that.

There's always good company at the site too which is a central hub for everyone so there are a few good reasons for making a go of it. I'm up for any music after these finish so if you find somewhere please post it.

The barge nightclub we went on was fantastic a couple of years ago - thanks to Robb (again) for sorting that one out. That didn't start until late from memory - so there is an opportunity to add other things to the evening's entertainment.

Haha, typical Frank! I'm not talking about after the fayre / music - which becomes most people's bedtime

But I do get your point re money's.

I'm planning to be there on the Friday evening and Saturday afternoon sometime so look forward to seeing people there. I feel like I've been out of the loop for a while so look forward to catching up.

I'm going to be there Saturday, are they going to kick us out before the music starts?

I'm planning to get a ticket for the Sat night gig as I like the Destroyers and the Selecter and think that will be a good evening - at the mo I've got to travel down on the Sat morning and check in to my hotel after 3pm, then I'd pop back to the festival.

On the Sunday I was not thinking of going to the music part but was thinking of maybe heading a a nice pub/bar to have a few drinks and chill - don't know if anyone would be interested in that?

There is a chance I may travel down on the Friday after work - would possibly be at a different hotel - I'd not want to go to the Friday gig as not keen on the bands and would not want a late night if I had travelled down. This will all depend on the time I can finish work on the Fri and if I can arrange cover for the animals here.

I did enjoy the Thekla boat bar/club that Robb sorted - thought that was great. Last year I saw the Cider bar on a boat in town as it was by the Premier Inn in King Street - that looked nice too, one year we went to a rock pub - the Hatchet? I like the waterfront bars but not on a Fri/Sat night

I'd not think of going out after the gig say at 11pm - I'm really not one for late nights and would plan to be back at my hotel by 12.

So if any meals are planned I'd be interested (but do want to see the Destroyers) Cafe Kino sounds a good bet

Just browsing and seems the Hatchett is open until 2am Fri and Sat for club night:

Friday
    House DJ - Dr Stein 21:00 - 02:00
    House DJ Dr Stein’s weekly Friday set of alternative, rock and goth. - Free Entry
    No Entry after 1am.

Saturday
    House DJ - Chunky 21:00 - 02:00
    House DJ Chunky entertains the masses with his mix of Rock, Punk, Emo and Metal. Based in the back bar, music played throughout the pub. - Free Entry
    No Entry after 1am.

Sunday
    Live Comedy - "Gagging for it" 21:00 - 22:30 - Local comedians gather to impress with the gift of the gab. setup around the back bar. - Free Entry

The Thekla has a mini festival on Sat - which tickets are £30 for!!! So don't think it is an option.

http://www.dottodotfestival.co.uk/

We're going to be there Saturday but won't be staying for the music so will be looking for something to do.

Right I'm def travelling on the Sat now - the Premier Inn sale £29 room I'd seen and had been considering for the Friday night has now sold out. I'd been waiting to hear if I would be able to leave work early on the Friday but the room sold out so Sat it is!

Will aim to arrive by lunchtime then go to check in at my hotel about a mile away at 3pm.

Will go to the gig on the Sat as long as I get round to ordering a ticket then be at the festival all day Sun but not the eve gig Sun.

Really looking forward to this

1 ticket to Bumpsville please mister....

Accommodation finally sorted! There for the Saturday and Sunday eve's. Looking forward to it, as always. Hopefully some of the new members planning on making an appearance

Just ordered my ticket for the Sat nights music, only ordering for Sat, will go with the flow Sun

Looks like my hotel is nearly sold out 1 room left - hope it's lots of vegans staying there!

how do they go about having..say a person was there in the day ut hadnt got a ticket for the night. do they shunt us out tehn we shuffle back in or maybe someone ambles around asking if we have tickets???

I've been wondering that too.

The day admission is until 5:30pm, the evening admission starts 6pm so I'm thinking they kick everyone out and you have to re-enter with a valid ticket?

well THATS fucking stoooopid

Coming on Sat, leaving on Sunday. Booked IBIS hotel.... Look forward to meeting some new faces and some usual suspects..
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

Will be packing in a weeks time for this - really looking forward to this - a weekend away seeing friends at a vegan festival - good times

Hope my ticket arrives in time!

I need to decide which train route I am taking - either via Brum or Worcester - if I go via Worcester it's a case of leaving here at 8am for the 9am train from Worcs - not sure I'll be up and organised by then as need to sort the animals out and handover to Mum who is looking after the gang here.

As nice as it would be to get there early as in about 11am I think it will be nearer 1pm.

Am hoping I'll be allowed to bring my suitcase in as can't check in until 3pm and Bristol does not have left luggage.Will get stuck Monday with luggage too.

you could probably stick it in our room alison, if you'd like? we're in the yha right next door to the site

Quote emmapresley View Post
    you could probably stick it in our room alison, if you'd like? we're in the yha right next door to the site
    Aww thanks that's a nice offer I need to speak to the manager of the hotel see if they offer left luggage or if we might get ealrier access to our rooms - I'm going to travel with Monique now as we are both staying at the same hotel - I can't see me getting out of the house by 8am so doubt I will leave until 10am so there by 1pm. Will text you if I need to drop bags off - if it's only for 2 hours over lunch might see if they will allow us in with luggage - if we avoid the crowded areas might be ok.

Should really travel light and stick to a small backpack but want a bigger bag/case to put all the goodies in as easier to carry home!

Update from the organisers:

Flyer A6

‘’Side one

Welcome to VegfestUK 2011!

This event is a FREE event from 11.30 am – 5.30 pm.

The show shuts at 5.30 pm and everyone will be asked to leave the event.

The event re-opens at 6.00 pm as a PAY event. Entrance with ticket only;

Tickets are £10 advance or £12 on the gate.

Kids under 12 are half price. Kids must be accompanied by an adult.

YOUR COOPERATION IN CLEARING THE ARENA AT 5.30 PM IS APPRECIATED

Saturday May 28th ~ 11.00 am – 5.30 pm ~ Admission Free (does not include headline acts)
    Saturday May 28th ~ 6.00 pm – 11.00 pm ~ Admission £10 in Advance, £12 on the gate (includes headline acts)

Sunday May 29th ~ 11.00 am – 5.30 pm ~ Admission Free (does not include headline acts)
    Sunday May 29th ~ 6.00 pm – 11.00 pm ~ Admission £10 in Advance, £12 on the gate (includes headline acts)

Side two

Thanks for coming to VegfestUK Bristol 2011. We are asking everyone to leave at 5.30 pm and then readmit those with a ticket at 6pm to the pay events.

We understand that some of our visitors may consider this an imposition on their enjoyment for the day and may be asking why we are doing this.

The reason is so that we can make the daytime event free to everyone, we really want to share the benefits of the veggie/vegan lifestyle with as many people as possible and by making it free we can attract loads more people to this event. Our stallholders think it’s a wonderful idea in the main and we also wanted to rekindle the magic of the good old days where festivals were free, whilst still maintaining a high level of comfort, amenities and security for our visitors as well as achieving the necessary health and safety regulations that govern all events of this nature.

And we also wanted to be able to afford to put on some top level acts in the evening, which requires a ticket price of £10/£12 to ensure a full lineup of entertainment at what we think is a really good value ticket price, along with quality PA, staging and light show and support acts as well as the rest of the infrastructure required to produce an event of this nature.

So this seems to be the best way to achieve all these aims and we hope that you will find the slight inconvenience of having to leave the site and renter worth it to achieve these goals.

Donations are welcome to help keep the event free during the day, and please visit our fundraising tombola, raffle and goody bag stall by the main entrance in front of the Main Marquee.

Thanks in advance Team VegfestUK.’’

That was good, pretty pooped now.

Be interesting to find out what the turnout for the evenings were. I'm betting they aren't nearly as high as was hoped and if it is as I suspect then I hope they cut back on spending for the bands. Music and entertainment is great but I really don't think many people visit for it specifically, would be much better for them to just get cheap or free acts.

As some constructive criticism I'd say that there's far too many stalls packed in to the main tent. It was ridiculously crowded in there and there were a few things I would have bought but didn't because the stalls were too crowded to easily get served.

it was a great weekend out and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Here's to the next one

Was good to see you and the other v'ers Frank. Even the drizzle didn't spoil it for me.
    I think it was an improvement on last year.
    I agree with Risker about the main tent though. There did seem to be more people milling about than last year and so the tent was rather crowded.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Kiran - I think you are the prime suspect now! What a guy....
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich