Thread: B12, pancreatic, and liver correlation.

Default B12, pancreatic, and liver correlation.

Okay, I realize there is casual mention of pancreatic issues and intrinsic factor is a big part of B12 absorption among other things in other threads, but has anyone here found any research on pancreatic health from the angle of nutrition? I can't find anything on insuring a sufficient supply of intrinsic factor by proper diet (supplying the right amino acid(s) and sugars). From what I've read intrinsic factor is a complex mix of an amino acid and a variety of sugars, but I've found nothing but 'eat more vegetables' as far as diet goes. I've also read that there is a direct correlation between liver function and and function of the pancreas, but no one seems to supply anything useful or informative except liver flushes and bizarre homeopathic liver supplements.

anyway, has anyone found information on this?

Quote phillip888
    *Has anyone here found any research on pancreatic health from the angle of nutrition?
    I'm pretty sure there's a lot to be found out there. Here's what I just saw at
    http://www.digitalnaturopath.com/cond/C363969.html :

"Selenium:* An essential element involved primarily in enzymes that are antioxidants. Three selenium- containing enzymes are antioxidant peroxidases and a fourth selenium-containing enzyme is involved in thyroid hormone production. The prostate contains a selenium-containing protein and semen contains relatively large amounts of selenium. Clinical studies show that selenium is important in lowering the risk of several types of cancers. In combination with Vitamin E, selenium aids the production of antibodies and helps maintain a healthy heart. It also aids in the function of the pancreas, provides elasticity to tissues and helps cells defend themselves against damage from oxidation. "

I searched for pancreas in my own private archive of B12 material, and found this: "Achlorhydria (low gastric acidity) may lower B12 absorption as the presence of sufficient quantities of gastric acid is essential to release B12 from food ingested. Similarly, adequate release of pancreatic protease is essential to enable B12 to become exclusively bound to the extrinsic factor and pancreatic disorders may often be associated with a low B12 status".

And this:
    "A biologist named Yasuo Hotta from the University of California, La Jolla, found in barley grass a substance called P4D1. This substance not only has strong anti-inflammatory action but also was shown to repair the DNA in the cells of the body.æ This aided in the prevention of abnormal growths, aging, and cell death.æ He reported in a Japan Pharmacy Science Association meeting that P4D1 suppresses or cures pancreatitis, stomachitis, inflammation of the oral cavity, and dermatitis, and also lacerations of the stomach and duodenum. He found that barley juice is much stronger than steroid drugs but has fewer if any side effects. Barley grass is also extremely rich in antioxidants, including tocotrienols and one powerful antioxidant called tricin. Barley also has antiviral activity." ( http://www.florahealth.com/flora/hom...arleyGrass.asp )

And this "A meal rich in carbohydrates and low in protein stimulates the pancreas to secrete insulin, a hormone that lowers blood levels of sugar and amino acids—except tryptophan—by forcing these substances into cells."

And this: "Those on anti-ulcer drugs are also at risk of deficiency because these drugs interfere with 'intrinsic factor' and absorption. "

Vegans (and others) with pancreas problems - (Steve Jobs, for example, if he still is a vegan), should definitely monitor their B12 levels closely, and might need extra B12.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Did you see these posts (about gluten/fiber and B12/intrinsic factor), Philip?

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...28&postcount=8
    http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...trinsic+factor

More general info related to pancreas/plants:
    http://www.ecomall.com/greenshopping/veggiediet.htm:
    "High consumption of soya-based products, dried fruit, beans, lentils (dhal) and peas has been associated with lower risk of cancer of the pancreas. Risk of bladder cancer is associated with high meat intake (American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 1994)."

http://www.vegetariannutrition.net/v...evention.html:
    "The vegetarian population demonstrated an all cancer mortality rate 50% that of the general population for men and 76% for women. The SMRs were reduced for cancer of the stomach, large intestine, rectum, pancreas, lung, and bladder, but slightly increased for the prostate."

I haven't abandoned this thread, I'm still reading about this. So far I haven't come to any real conclusions, but it appears that pancreatic malfunction is often caused by malnutrition of all things. I'm interested in this primarily because I want to design a DIY B12 incubator (strange I know), and the most efficient B12 absorption comes from a healthy pancreas, liver, and B12 mixed with leafy greens in some fashion. I'm trying to design a permacultural/terrarium setup that works from all these angles at once.

Of course learning more about this stuff will help other people too.