Thread: Orange juice with calcium without vitamin D3

Kimberlily1983

Default Orange juice with calcium without vitamin D3

Hey, everyone. Just thought I would mention that you can buy McCain Old South frozen orange juice concentrate with added calcium. There's no vitamin D3 added, so it's vegan. Just another great source of calcium you can add to your diet if you're worried about your intake.

Default Re: Orange Juice with Calcium Minus Vitamin D3

I'll have to look for some of that. I actually bought some of the Vitamin D3 added orange juice before I knew it wasn't vegan

Kimberlily1983

Quote Back-Space View Post
    I'll have to look for some of that. I actually bought some of the Vitamin D3 added orange juice before I knew it wasn't vegan
    I remember having a conversation with someone on here about that, and I'm pretty sure it was you!

Oh yeah I've learned so much from people on the site

Kimberlily1983

Was feeling a bit creative this morning and decided to blend Silk soy milk with my OJ instead of water. It tastes like those old Buried Treasure ice cream pops (anyone remember those? I've not seen them around in ages, maybe they're not made anymore). It also contains roughly 50-60% or so (?) of your calcium needs for the day!

Who says it's hard to get enough calcium on a vegan diet?

Me I would think that almonds are probably my most substantial intake of calcium. I doubt I'm meeting my daily requirements of calcium. I was wondering though, aside from the sun, is there any other way of increasing my vitamin D intake? I actually just found out that the sun is one of the minimal sources of vitamin D for vegans. Is there a vegan supplement of Vitamin D?

I thought the sun was the main source of vitamin D for vegans and non-vegans?

Don't tell me some doctor/scientist has changed their mind about that one now too!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

You can get Vitamin D from fish. Well, you can't, but some people can Vitamin D2 is vegan though right? And it could be turned into a supplement I think. It's just a little too cold up here to get 20-30 minutes of sun exposure everyday, especially considering I'm completely covered up

Kimberlily1983

Is there a vegan supplement of Vitamin D?
    Mushrooms that have been exposed to sunlight (or UV rays) while growing contain (a lot) of vitamin D2. I haven't found these in our supermarkets, though; we were thinking of asking about them. This would be a great product for non-vegans as well, as most people are low in this vitamin, apparently.

Other sources are Becel Vegan margarine, and Silk soy milk; these are our two primary sources, along with a little sunshine now and then (which is rare right now, though).

Vitamin D2 is vegan though right?
    Yep, vitamin D2 is vegan.

I eat a good deal of that vegan margarine. That stuff's a life saver I didn't know mushrooms did that. I was wondering about that the other day too. Was thinking if maybe I left a bowl of fruit sitting in a sunny window all day, maybe they'd take on some of the vitamin d aswell.

Kimberlily1983

Was thinking if maybe I left a bowl of fruit sitting in a sunny window all day, maybe they'd take on some of the vitamin d aswell.
    Hmm, I haven't seen anything to indicate that that would work. I think it's specifically mushrooms that do this, and they need to be "alive" (still growing) for it to work. Wow, wouldn't it be nice if this did work, though?

Yeah, no kidding. It was just an idea. Now it's another thing I don't get enough of And I finally got my calcium up to the recommended daily intake

Kimberlily1983

Default Re: Orange juice with calcium without vitamin D3

And I finally got my calcium up to the recommended daily intake
    Excellent! I haven't actually calculated my own but I'm quite sure I'm getting enough now as well - finally! I'm quite certain I've been getting pathetic amounts my whole life before now...

Same here Just a few weeks ago I was getting about 40-80% of my daily amount. According to the daily intake section on the nutrition facts, I should be around 115% or so today And just about the same for protein. I've always had high iron, so I never really pay attention to my iron intake. Now to focus on the vitamins and minerals....

Kimberlily1983

I've always had high iron
    Oh, that's one I struggled with as a lacto-ovo veggie, but since going vegan, I've not had any problems. I eat lots of beans, lentils, etc. - love love love them!

Haven't quite gotten into the beans and lentils yet. I think my raw almonds are probably the healthiest thing I eat. I tried making a soup a month or so ago with vegetable stock, white beans and mixed veggies. I don't know why, but the soup took on a real seafood kind of taste I don't know if I added a bit to much salt or something, but it was very unappealing