Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Vegan pregnancy

Default Re: Vegan Pregnancy

Twinkle So sorry to hear that. Thoughts are with you.
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

I'm so sorry Twinkle my thoughts are with you at this tough time
    Houmous atá ann!

i am so sorry for your loss Twinkle.
    be the change you wish to see in the world.

I'm really sorry to hear, what awful news. My thoughts are with you.

littlemiss

Sorry for your loss. Allow yourself lots of time for grieving and recovery. Hugs.

I'm so sorry to hear that Twinkle

Twinkle, I'm very, very sorry.

Quote Cherry View Post
    Hello people.

So, Stu and I are having a baby, and I am suffering a lot with pregnancy sickness. I just read a very interesting article about severe pregnancy sickness being linked to a 'restricted diet', amongst other things (like genetics and allergies) .
    Hello Cherry,
    Congratulations on your pregnancy.

I'm not sure why some women are sick and other are not. During my pregnancy I felt nausea sometimes but mostly when I looked at something, mostly cooked food. I just loved everything what was fresh. I ate tonnes of fresh fruits. I listen to what my body wanted. Surprisingly I felt nausea also when I tried to drink raspberry tea which I usually love but while I was pregnant I couldn't stand even the smell. I found out at the end of pregnancy that raspberry can be drunk only in the last days before delivery to speed it up. Generally during pregnancy I drunk galons of water. I even had a bottle of water next to my bed because I was waking up at night and drunk.

I read once (I'm sorry I don't remember where and I read a lot) that women feel sick during pregnancy because they eat when the body tells them not to. The first trimester is designed to clear the body in preparation for the developing baby. I tried to listen to my body and I had no problems with sickness during pregnancy. All my omnivore friends had some kind of problems. I had NONE except mental ones (I did not want people to look at my pregnant belly).
    Do you think if you stop eating things which your body tells you not to it could help you?

I'm sorry to bump up this thread when the last posts were very, very sad.

But I was wondering if there were currently any vegan pregnant ladies and if so, how things are going for you? I am currently 13 weeks pregnant, and feeling a little lacking in confidence about my vegan diet. I had a lot of food aversions in Tri1, but it seems to be improving in Tri2. I was just wondering if any ladies were taking vegan supplements and if so, which ones? I have to take Vitamin D2 prescribed by my doctor for a health problem (not related to vegan diet) but I don't think the B12 supplement I am taking is quite right, so would like to know what others are taking. Also whether you are taking any Omega supplements?

There's lots of info in this thread and other threads in this section, so I will have a read through those in the meantime.

Hello!!

I had my baby at the end of July so sorry if this response is a little late or it doesn't help you but I took Rainbow Light Vegan prenatal and i had really great nutritient levels throughout my whole pregnancy. You can get them on amazon since you're in the UK.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00115BJ30/..._df_B00115BJ30

But it was super easy for me to stay vegan and to be healthy during my whole pregnancy I loved it. Never once did I get morning sickness and I only gained about 17 pounds which was perfect for my size. I had my baby exactly 1 week early and he was 6 pounds 12 ounces of perfection.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Congratulations missbettie! So that's what you've been up to

Wow! I had no idea that you were even pregnant, just assumed you had done a forum runner.

Congrats

Comgrats missbettie! How is he doing now that he's 2 months old?
    Houmous atá ann!

Default Re: Vegan pregnancy

oh my gosh you guys remember me?! Sorry i've been off on a pregnancy forum. lol

We are doing great!! I had the best pregnancy and the best labor and delivery. it was amazing...and now i have a little vegan baby. He is 2 months old and tomorrow he will be 10 weeks.

i'm super proud and happy to say I stayed Vegan throughout the whole pregnancy even through my old school crazy doctor...she could never remember that i was vegan it drove me bonkers... no low iron, no gestational diabetes, no morning sickness...it was amazing. AND I've been able to exclusively breast feed even though i had some issues in the beginning, it was a lot harder than i thought it would be but my baby has been growing and thriving. he doubled his birth weight at 2 months.

so since ya'll remember me... i'll introduce you to my little vegan boy...

Gage David Bear, born July 28 6 pounds 12 ounces, 21 inches long... and yes his middle name IS Bear

His first day...

about a week old...

annnnd now at 2 months...

sorry for the huge pictures...

Aww he's an adorable little thing! That's so cool that you named him Bear, he'll appreciate that when he's older!
    Houmous atá ann!

my favorite..

waiting for his milk...

And here I am pretty pregnant... I hated being pregnant while i waspregnant but after he was born i really found a new appreciation for what mybody can do...and especially now breastfeeding I feel so amazing and empowered.I love being able to provide for my baby...and i love that i'm making himfat...and i love that he is a little vegan!!!

Aww! He's a credit to you already, missb

How are you enjoying being off work? I seem to remember you were a workaholic

he will either love the name Bear or hate it. lol But it's just his middle name so he doesn't have to tell people unless he wants too.. lol

well garsh, I think i'm going to be visiting a lot more often.

- - - Updated - - -

unfortunately i'm back at work. In the US you get 6 weeks off for a normal birth and 8 for a csection...so i was able to take 7 weeks because i used some of my vacation time but now i'm struggling financially unfortunately.. It was very nice to be with him and i'm extremely sad that i'm back at work... it was really hard to leave him...i don't know how people do it...but i have to make money...

6 weeks isn't much is it? Maybe you could persuade him to be nocturnal, although I can see that would have disadvantages too...

ya its a big bummer because by the time I get home and pick him up its already his sleepy time. so I don't get him for the good times...but we cosleep a lot so I get a lot of cuddles and it does help.

only 6 weeks is horrendous. We don't really treat families very good here in my opinion...

Unfortunately there are some politicians here who would think 6 weeks is a bit generous http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...therstone.html :/

Hope your employer is helpful about it all, at least?

Missbettie, you looked gorgeous when you were pregnant, very glamourous! I think back to pictures of my mother when she was pregnant, back then they wore horrible dresses that looked like tents! Maternity wear has come a long way
    Houmous atá ann!

missbettie - wow! No morning sickness? Heels late into pregnancy? So jealous! You appear to have avoided most of the curses of pregnancy, and have a lovely little vegan to show for it! Congratulations!
    I think the amount of maternity leave women get in the US is ridiculous. Sweden have it about right. Long parental leave, high level of pay throughout, and shared between both parents so that women aren't disadvantaged in the workplace and fathers aren't prevented from taking a full role in parenthood. If only the rest of the world could be so progressive!
    Live and let live

ya those heals were just for the picture. lol I wanted to give the illusion of having it together. towards the end of my pregnancy I was starting to really feel it.

but thank you everyone!! I can't WAIT to do it again!! but only once more.

Having made it safely through my 12-week scan (phew!), I am finally willing to come out and say that I'm a member of the +1 crew. Unlike lucky missbettie, I had pretty horrible morning sickness that is slowly starting to recede at last. So I haven't enjoyed food all that much so far, but am looking forward to better times here on in! I've only really had one or two cravings, the main one of which has been cheese. Thankfully, it's only the good stuff that I've been craving, ie Sheese (none of this dairy nonsense), so I have happily indulged that craving. I've also been enjoying mustard and pickles - but without the ice-cream! I've had plentiful food aversions, which has made it harder to eat well, but I'm finding it easier to eat healthily now that the nausea is settling down. Hmm, feeling peckish - might go eat a gherkin (at 11pm - definitely pregnant!).
    Live and let live

Quote rainbow View Post
    Having made it safely through my 12-week scan (phew!), I am finally willing to come out and say that I'm a member of the +1 crew. Unlike lucky missbettie, I had pretty horrible morning sickness that is slowly starting to recede at last. So I haven't enjoyed food all that much so far, but am looking forward to better times here on in! I've only really had one or two cravings, the main one of which has been cheese. Thankfully, it's only the good stuff that I've been craving, ie Sheese (none of this dairy nonsense), so I have happily indulged that craving. I've also been enjoying mustard and pickles - but without the ice-cream! I've had plentiful food aversions, which has made it harder to eat well, but I'm finding it easier to eat healthily now that the nausea is settling down. Hmm, feeling peckish - might go eat a gherkin (at 11pm - definitely pregnant!).
    Wow, congrats Rainbow! Another vegan baby coming into the world
    Houmous atá ann!

Nikorusama

Congrats! I have recently come off the contraceptive injection and I don't know if its something to do with that but I really want a baby now! (a vegan one of course). I'm only 25 so won't be happening for a good few years and until I'm married but its strange I went from practically telling everyone I'm never ever having kids to being so broody. Think I'm going together the copper coil though for contraception I'm convinced that all the female hormone drugs (pill, implant, HRT etc) are seriously linked with breast cancer and since I've already exposed myself to 7 years of it, I don't think I'll be subjecting myself to it anymore and hopefully it will reduce my risk.

Congrats Rainbow!!! Thats so exciting!!!

hormonal birthcontrol terrifies me nikorusama....not to mention it can screw up your milk supply which is not something i want to mess with.

i'm donating my first batch of breastmilk!! 50 ounces to my sister in law for my little babies cousin.

Quote missbettie View Post
    i'm donating my first batch of breastmilk!! 50 ounces to my sister in law for my little babies cousin.
    That's really good of you MB, nourishing the masses with your vegan milk!
    Houmous atá ann!

I'm feeling smug and want to boast. I had my 31-week check-up today. At my previous appointment, they did a routine blood test to check my iron levels, because anaemia is a very common side-effect of pregnancy. Today I found out that not only am I not anaemic, my iron levels are comfortably into the "good" range. I raised a triumphant fist in the air and said "go vegan diet"! Hee hee.
    After a horrible first trimester (morning sickness, fatigue, anxiety about miscarriage, digestive discomfort etc) my pregnancy has gone really well. I'm eating very healthily and the baby appears to be doing well. I do get tired in the evenings and this sometimes curbs my appetite at dinner time, but I always eat a good breakfast and lunch. The prospects of childbirth, breastfeeding and nappies are all rather daunting, but I still can't wait to meet the little one! Not long to go now...
    Live and let live

That's good Rainbow - consider my question in the other thread answered! Keep up the good work - as you say not long to go.

*shakes pom-poms in the air* Go-go-go RAINBOW!!!!

I'm overdue! Wondering when my little one will be born... but so far so good. My second blood test for iron levels showed that they were even better than first time around (thank you, bran cereal and spinach, watercress and rocket salad!) and my weight gain was right on target. Although pregnancy is quite tiring, I've kept up (and enjoyed) the exercise and go for long daily walks as well as going on the exercise bike most days. I had a rotten first trimester and was sceptical that being vegan made any real difference, positive or negative, to the pregnancy experience. But I have to say that the second and third trimesters have been great and I am excited and proud to be bringing a new little vegan into the world. Can't wait to meet my little bundle of joy - any day now!
    Live and let live

Well done you, and may I say.......Wooooohooooooooo exciting!!!

Much love and well wishes Rainbow. x

All the best rainbow, hope s/he doesn't keep you waiting too long

Quote rainbow View Post
    I'm overdue! Wondering when my little one will be born... but so far so good. My second blood test for iron levels showed that they were even better than first time around (thank you, bran cereal and spinach, watercress and rocket salad!) and my weight gain was right on target. Although pregnancy is quite tiring, I've kept up (and enjoyed) the exercise and go for long daily walks as well as going on the exercise bike most days. I had a rotten first trimester and was sceptical that being vegan made any real difference, positive or negative, to the pregnancy experience. But I have to say that the second and third trimesters have been great and I am excited and proud to be bringing a new little vegan into the world. Can't wait to meet my little bundle of joy - any day now!
    Congrats rainbow! Glad to hear that you're well and can't wait to hear about the baby
    Last edited by Blueberries; May 7th, 2013 at 07:47 AM.
    Houmous atá ann!

Congratulations Rainbow. I hope it isn't too long until your little baby arrives.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Hoping Rainbow and baby are both fine... Let us know how everything went hunny-bun. x

In case anyone is interested the new issue of the Vegan Society magazine has an article on having a Vegan baby.

Can somebody suggest a good book about pregnancy with vegan diet? Possibly the one you read. (I can search Amazon on myself but need recommendation)