Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Weight

Default Vegan Weight Loss Products

Hiya
    just to tell you all that ive found a vegan weight loss product which can be found on www.ultra-products.com/stayslim, its great even if you dont need to lose weight it taste great espec the chocolate drink and when it says there 8 servings i think it really means 24 cos you only need one scoop of powder.

Ive lost a stone on it in a month

Default Weight Loss?

I am a new found vegan, I have now been doing it for 4 days, and i was wondering, how long does it take to lose weight, and are you even suppose to in the first place? and if so..what could i do to maybe speed it up, or eat as healthy as possible

becca

Hi -

I have been vegan for about 9 months - I did lose some weight in the beginning, but I didn´t try to do it, or plan it. I think going vegan cuts out alot of high calorie foods, like baked goods, meats, and eggs, so you could lose weight if you usually eat alot of those things.

Otherwise, there is nothing particular about vegan that means you will lose weight - there are some vegans who just eat junk food, who are probably not that healthy, and can be overweight.

If you want to lose weight, eating vegan is a great start because you will learn alot of new foods that are less caloric and more nutrient dense, but I don´t think many people become vegan with the goal of losing weight. Its still possible to pig out of high calorie items!!

www.pcrm.org has a great starter menu for going some vegan, that will give you some good menus and recipes. Also, I think when you start reading about the animal product industry, you will understand the full implication of eating/using those products - and be motivated by more than weight.

We are the same person no matter what we weigh - although we may be more comfortable or feel more relaxed when we weigh less. Veganism can be a great help, because when you become aware of the larger issues, it makes it easier to deal with our small ones! You may find weight is not so important to you. As a result, you might end up losing weight without planning on it!

Just eat a balance of veggies, fruits, beans, grains, nuts and seeds, and you will be healthy.

Which reminds me - I´ve been eating at Asian restaurants for two days, and probably need to get myself back on some fresh food!

If you have any specific questions, please ask!

good luck,
    globesetter

Default losing excess weight?

what would everyone recommend to get rid of excess weight? i feel like i need to lose a couple pounds but need sum guidance following a vegan diet.

Can we have more to work on? How old are you? What is your lifestyle like? How active are you? How many calories are you consuming daily?

Those questions my possibly lead to the answer, such as regular exercise, being mindful of calorie consumption, drinking plenty of water, et cetera.

Quote foxytina_69
    what would everyone recommend to get rid of excess weight? i feel like i need to lose a couple pounds but need sum guidance following a vegan diet.

Just stick to eating greens, beans, grains and fruit - and burn more calories that you eat. Add a 20 minute walk or other exercise to your daily routine -

When I want to watch my weight, I eat very little grains - so no bread, pasta, etc - just piles of veggie, beans/tofu, fruit ( a couple of pieces dried fruit if I am craving sweets) -

Also, I´ve found that getting a dog is a miracle for losing weight - fat just melted away after a week or two of walking with her!

You can find out how much you are eating by setting up an account at www.fitday.com - it helped me to log what I was eating for a few weeks.

regards,
    globesetter
    Last edited by globesetter; Jun 20th, 2004 at 10:08 AM. Reason: addition

Quote Artichoke47
    Can we have more to work on? How old are you? What is your lifestyle like? How active are you? How many calories are you consuming daily?
    im 18

my lifestyle is pretty much nothing right now because i spent the last two years taking care of my mother who was very ill and she died on june the 7th, so ive bin just at home since then so thats probably why i feel the need to lose weight!

im not very active as im very depressed right now

as for calories i probably eat between 1200-1500 a day. if i used percentages, i would say 60% is starches, (lots of potatoes, pasta, toast) 20% fruits and veggies, and 20% juices.

by the way, globesetter, i have a dog, two actually! i should start walking them with my sister =) thanx for the idea. and ive tried fitday, but i had an eating disorder a couple years ago and used it, so it reminds me of that! however i DO write down everything i eat everyday.

im just scared that along with my depression it will cause me to develop an eating disorder again, as ive bin noticing the same symptoms, so im trying to prevent that by attacking it quickly and healthily before that happens.

Verry sorry to hear about your mother, Foxytina.

It doesn't sound as if you eat that much so (especially as you've had an eating disorder in the past) I would forget about "dieting" and try and lose the weight by being a bit more active - walking the dog and your sister sounds ideal. Exercise is also usually helpful with depression although obviously it's natural to feel down for a while after a loss.

It might be an idea to tip the balance of your diet SLIGHTLY towards the fruit and veg. For example, if you have pasta and vegetables, think of it as vegetables with pasta rather than pasta with vegetables, if you see what I mean. And have wholegrain bread and pasta rather than white whenever you can as they're more nutritious and also more filling.

Good luck and remember the main thing is to feel well rather than lose a couple of pounds.

so sorry about your mom. if you ever need to talk...

i too had an eating disorder a couple of years ago. i know for me, and i'm pretty sure for other people who have had an ED, in very stressful times i would obsess about food to take my mind off things. it was always my coping mechanism.

hun, maybe i'm way off base but it seems that that's what you're doing. so the best advice i can give you is to deal with your grief not your weight. the best way to do that is by surrounding yourself with support and people you can talk to easily. and if you can't deal with it yet, which is very reasonable, just find positive coping mechanisms ( the great dog walking idea, journaling, art, music anything really as long as it's not destructive). relapsing is horrible! and it can take much longer to get out of it again. good luck! please let me know how you're doing : )

crystal

thanx harpy i aggree on tipping my diet towards veggies and fruits more! i eat way too many starches. and i always make sure i eat brown rice bread rather then white rice bread (cant eat real flour bread, as i have celiac disease) and my pasta is always brown rice too

Quote ravelston
    so sorry about your mom. if you ever need to talk...

i too had an eating disorder a couple of years ago. i know for me, and i'm pretty sure for other people who have had an ED, in very stressful times i would obsess about food to take my mind off things. it was always my coping mechanism.

hun, maybe i'm way off base but it seems that that's what you're doing. so the best advice i can give you is to deal with your grief not your weight. the best way to do that is by surrounding yourself with support and people you can talk to easily. and if you can't deal with it yet, which is very reasonable, just find positive coping mechanisms ( the great dog walking idea, journaling, art, music anything really as long as it's not destructive). relapsing is horrible! and it can take much longer to get out of it again. good luck! please let me know how you're doing : )

crystal
    well i am gearing towards an eating disorder which is why im trying to prevent that, even tho i dont think i would ever let myself be that way again (it was horrible), but i do believe if i start exercising and getting outside more and being active ill feel better about myself, and i need to just eat healthier then what i have bin and ill be happier. i can take two roads right now. one would be to have an eating disorder, be inside all the time and be depressed, or just get out there and live life and eat healthy and be happier. and i think the latter sounds ALOT more appealing.

i love to journal and i do it everyday, (it really does help) and i love art and was going to start painting again and i love music and love to sing! its wierd that u mentioned all those things

thank u for your post

You sound as if you're working out a sensible approach, Foxytina, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

I just wanted to add that cutting back too far on carbohydrates is not necessarily a good idea for someone depressed because they help your body produce serotonin, a substance that combats depression. Mind you I doubt if this is a real hazard for someone who eats a vegan diet - I think it's more of one for people who do Atkins etc http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3522903.stm

thank u for the article im aware of that affect when cutting down carbohydrates! i dont think i could cut down too much anyhow, i love my starches too much but i will cut down a wee bit. ( i dont think i need pasta EVERY day of the week WITH toast!)

julieruble

I'd agree with the folks who have recommended cutting down on starches. Also, I'd like to mention that I also had a depression sort of illness and my doctor recommended that I start exercising...jogging or something. It helps your body release endorphins and makes you feel better and healthier. It'd also help with weight loss, just be sure to monitor and make sure you aren't exercising obsessively. Maybe you could have your sister help to make sure you're being healthy about your weight loss; it's easy to start being secretive and slip back into old disorders, so maybe just ask her to be aware of your habits and let you know if she thinks you're being unhealthy.

good idea. thanx julieruble.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. *hugs*

You might want to try to intake about 250 more calories/day in fruits and vegetables and make sure you are drinking enough water. Exercise is great for your body as well, as was already stated.

Quote foxytina_69
    im 18

my lifestyle is pretty much nothing right now because i spent the last two years taking care of my mother who was very ill and she died on june the 7th, so ive bin just at home since then so thats probably why i feel the need to lose weight!

im not very active as im very depressed right now

as for calories i probably eat between 1200-1500 a day. if i used percentages, i would say 60% is starches, (lots of potatoes, pasta, toast) 20% fruits and veggies, and 20% juices.

by the way, globesetter, i have a dog, two actually! i should start walking them with my sister =) thanx for the idea. and ive tried fitday, but i had an eating disorder a couple years ago and used it, so it reminds me of that! however i DO write down everything i eat everyday.

im just scared that along with my depression it will cause me to develop an eating disorder again, as ive bin noticing the same symptoms, so im trying to prevent that by attacking it quickly and healthily before that happens.

Foxytina -

sorry about your mom - I am very impressed at your positive attitude - you will get where you want to be if you take one day at a time.

I think it also helps to not to put too much pressure on yourself - i think when we are dealing with a crisis, sometimes there is too much pressure to get everything under control - you probably don´t need to get everything under control! just be good to yourself, and take one step at a time.

Glad you have the dogs Greatest health boosters around!

all the best,
    globesetter

good suggestion artichoke

and thanx globesetter. i DO feel like i need to get everything under control lol.

Red face

Dear Foxytina,

I am 22 and my Mum died of lung cancer when I was 19. A month later my grandfather (Mum's dad) died of a heart attack...then my grandmother (her mother) was diagnosed that weekend also with lung cancer...two months later I lost her as well. So I have been on my own since (with a great boyfriend though) but as a result, I developed anorexia.

Please don't try to lose weight...you only feel like that because you are grieving. Believe me, I know.

Just eat healthy and don't count/weigh/measure or write everything down. Your calorie consumption is very small, so you must be very small anyway. Your mum just died, so no wonder you are leaning towards eating disorder comforts, but please resist...I don't know how bad you have been in the past, but I know that I nearly died.

I know what you are going through and use your sister and your dogs for comfort, not (lack of) food and controlling your body. STAY AWAY FROM FIT DAY!!!!!

If you ever want to talk, I totally understand and I will give you my email address.

- I hope you feel better

wow yeah my grandfather died 23 hours before my mom so i know what its like to lose both!

i wont get into anorexia again so its okay. im just being cautious this time and preventing it before it happens. thank u banana

Unhappy weight gain & weight loss

I was a vegetarian my whole life, and after going vegan, I gained ten pounds (105 to 115). This may very likely have been because it coincided with my infamous freshman year of college (the "freshman 15"). I work out every day (aerobics and lifting weights) and I've barely lost 2 pounds in 2 months. I don't eat any more than I did when I was vegetarian. I know that adding muscle can cause weight gain, but it still doesn't make much sense. It's true that everything I eat involves bread, rice, potatoes, tortillas, etc., but could the culprit really be carbohydrates? Does anyone know why I can't lose any of this weight?

What kind of carbohydrates are you eating? Try to eat wheat/whole grain bread, brown rice, minimal amount of potatoes, and whole wheat tortillas. That will pack in the protein, too.

About how many calories do you eat a day?

ConsciousCuisine

Quote orchidprint
    I was a vegetarian my whole life, and after going vegan, I gained ten pounds (105 to 115). This may very likely have been because it coincided with my infamous freshman year of college (the "freshman 15"). I work out every day (aerobics and lifting weights) and I've barely lost 2 pounds in 2 months. I don't eat any more than I did when I was vegetarian. I know that adding muscle can cause weight gain, but it still doesn't make much sense. It's true that everything I eat involves bread, rice, potatoes, tortillas, etc., but could the culprit really be carbohydrates? Does anyone know why I can't lose any of this weight?
    Potatoes are basically sacks of sugar. You would likely be better served by eating high carbohydrate foods that are also high fiber. Also, what type of tortillas are you eating? If they are white or even whole wheat or corn, ditto! Unless you are eating only sprouted whole grain tortillas, only brown rice you could be getting many empty calories with little fiber or protein.

A healthy vegan diet centers on vegetables and fruits first, and adds the other items as a smaller part of the whole.

Also, are you lifting weights every day? If you are, you are likely overtraining! It is best to lift weights on an alternating schedule. Daily cardio-work is fine.

Could you have been underweight before? How tall are you? I have known some to gain weight when beocming vegan due to deficiencies that existed while being veggie or omni.

Good luck sorting it all out!

Thanks for your posts!
    I would say I eat about 1500 calories a day. Sometimes up to 2000. I'm 5'2", so 105 is a healthy weight. And yes, I alternate days for weight training.
    I'll usually have a bagel for breakfast and some type of tofu/bean/veggie dish with rice or on a bun for lunch and for dinner. So you really think switching to wheat/whole grain will be the difference between 105 and 115?

Quote orchidprint
    The same thing happened to me, but I know why.

I've been vegetarian and vegan off and on growing up (because of family choices, not mine), but I was never healthy about it. When I decided to go vegan, I also quit smoking, started working out and eating more...better, but more. I gained about 10 lbs, but everyone tells me I look better and I feel better now too. I'm not too worried about how much I weigh as much as I am how I feel.

They are right about the carbohydrates....try to eat the good ones and stay away from the bad ones.

beforewisdom

I was at a 5 day vegetarian confrence this past July and Dr. Klapper mentioned the exact foods you did as being responsible for 'the fat vegan' syndrome.

If you want to lose weight drink water versus drinks with calories, eat less sweets, eat less flour ( even whole grain) products, eat less processed food, eat WHOLE grains, and eat lots of vegetables.

In the end it is all about calories.

Whole foods make it easier to eat less calories, processed foods make it easier to eat more calories.

A 250 calorie difference per day can mean a 1/2 pound difference per week, 25 lbs a year. A soda or a juice is close to this amount. FYI

beforewisdom

Quote orchidprint
    Thanks for your posts!
    I would say I eat about 1500 calories a day. Sometimes up to 2000. I'm 5'2", so 105 is a healthy weight. And yes, I alternate days for weight training.
    I'll usually have a bagel for breakfast and some type of tofu/bean/veggie dish with rice or on a bun for lunch and for dinner. So you really think switching to wheat/whole grain will be the difference between 105 and 115?
    No. The fiber in whole grains lose their ability to regulate blood sugar( hence appetitie and weight ) when the whole grains are ground into flour.

Many "whole grain" flour products are simply made with white flour with some whole grain flour mixed in.

Steve

ConsciousCuisine

The only processed "whole grain" products I am in complete support of are grains that have been sprouted first and made into tortillas and breads (commonly considered Raw and Live, dehydrated at low heats) because they are high in protein, fiber and are easier to digest. The bagels and tortillas you buy at schoolor a grocery store is guaranteed to be the "white flour with some whole grains" type of thing.

Quote orchidprint
    Do you feel worse? Some people just get heavier when they work out. If you like the way you feel and look, ten pounds is just... well ten pounds. If you put on fat and you can see it (and you don't like it), stop eating grains. They're pretty much worthless for anything but calories anyway. Nutritionally they're inferior to so most fruits and veggies, and they're an acidic forming substances in humans (acid forming foods can cause a loss of calcium and other minerals and vitamins, water retention, dehydration, and a lot of other issues, even cancer according to some studies). Definitely eat more veggies and fruit whatever you do.

Vivisanctor

OrchidPrint:

I'm going to restate what phillip already touched on--

Do not automatically conclude that the extra pounds are 'unhealthy' or even bad in any way. I know you weren't really looking for advice, but I felt I should throw that out there. I gained weight naturally when I was in my early 20's. Just kinda goes with the territory.

Quote Vivisanctor
    OrchidPrint:

I'm going to restate what phillip already touched on--

Do not automatically conclude that the extra pounds are 'unhealthy' or even bad in any way. I know you weren't really looking for advice, but I felt I should throw that out there. I gained weight naturally when I was in my early 20's. Just kinda goes with the territory.
    I am a really really really active person and I eat huge amounts of fruit and veg and yet stay at the same weight whether i like it or not. I suspect that this is because I over-work my body and underfeed it alot of the time and therefore my body goes into starvation mode where it stores food as much as possible. This is not intentional - it's just that after exercise I am never hungry so dont eat as much as I should. Anyway what I am getting to is that I too have put on alot of weight since reaching my 20s (as well as being srisouly underweight before) and do not rule my life by my weight more by my appearance - if I like wots int eh mirror then great if not I work on it. Nutrition and health are an obsession with me. If you over-exercise and under-eat you will feel bad about yourself because your body is unable to make an release feel good molecules whereas if you are healthy you will feel fantastic. Some people naturally never have the stereotypical image of their sex i.e. in girls a beautiful flat stomach and sculpted arse - I don't and yet I have yet to meet a girl who does as many sit-ups and bum exercises as me and have the same physiological appearance as me!

Vivisanctor

Arrow

I'm healthy, and exercise as well.. but I never take more than a passing glance in the mirror. I just don't worry about looks much.

Smile

Firstly, this is not an attack on anybody's opinion...but I just want to put in my two cents worth.

I definately DO NOT agree that wholegrain flour products or potatoes (and I am not talking about fries) are bad. I definately don't agree that grains (as a whole) are nutritionally deficient and unhealthy. If they were - I would be morbidly obese. I eat bread everyday - sometimes even (gasp) white bread and I am 10kg underweight. (I am going to a dietician on Wednesday!) - True, that my weight is due to a severe eating disorder, but if you look at 'What did I eat today' post, and see what my diet consists of...grains (whole or not whole/processed or not processed/cooked or not cooked) are my staple - and I definately do not steer from potatoes.

I try to choose wholegrains wherever possible - especially at home, but especially since my history with food obsession is very bad, I choose to not obsess too much as this hinders my social life (most restaurants serve white pasta/white rice and going for meals at peoples houses) and sometimes it is just nice to eat a crusty bread roll or a cookie.

If you like carbs (like I do) I would suggest smaller portions. Don't deprive yourself - choose the healthy stuff most of the time and if you are out or whatever, don't freak out that the bread is white sourdough flour instead of sprouted wholegrain wheatberries. Personally, I don't have time for that and my lifestyle doesn't account for it.

DO include lots of veggies - veggies (even avocados and potatoes and corn) cannot make you fat. Same for fruit - All fruit (some people I know reckon bananas are fattening) and yes I know that avocado is botanically a fruit!

For snacks I also eat lots of fruit - fresh/dried/canned. rice cakes and sometimes vegan ice cream, vegan cookies, vegan cake and chocolate - MODERATELY. Vegan milks and yoghurts are also acceptable snacks in my opinion if you like them - choose low fat though.

I also agree with water instead of calorie - containing drinks (although sometimes I will have a diet soft drink if I want one that bad - I cannot have the regular anyway coz I screwed up my blood sugar levels)

Just do what you are doing - base your diet around wholegrains (and their products), fruits, vegetable and legumes - and their products - but maybe watch your portions with the more calorie dense, like the high carb/fat and protein things. Nuts are also good in moderation - and cook with a small amount of olive oil!

Well written, Banana! I always look at what you write in the "What did you eat today" thread and I always think your days sound so healthy!

Roxy

Smile

Thanx Roxy ...but Concious cuisine makes me look like junk food addict LOL! Just kidding.

I agree about many of the things you say Banana - like that no fruit and no vegetable can make you fat on its own - but when they are combined in excess with other things they may lead ot fattening. Also wholegrains are better health-wise and can assist weight-loss but I do not say that ppl who dont eat them or dont eat them all the time are going to be fat becos that simply isnt true. Also I htink it depends on everyone's metabolism, lifefstyle and physical activities how much they cn eat safely. Some ppl have huge appetites and can eat lots and stay thin when others can eat minute meals and put on weight. The other thing to consider is the combination of foods eaten and the times they are eaten at etc. Finally I think weightloss and gain can be down to portion size IF the person in question already follows a healthy balanced diet and by reducing portion size alot of ppl would prob lose weight without having to give up any of their normal foods.

Another thing....

I used to be anorexic and wsa severly underweight -but fortunatly being vegan rescued me before I did any permanent damage to myself. Even after I started eating properly again my weight stayed about 10kg under wot it should be and it wasnt until a trip with my parents where I was deprived of exercise and plied with too much food that I put on any weight at all. When I got back to my normal living place and could use the gym and the pool and eat my sensible healthy diet - I was able to use my weight gain to build muscle and change my body from the ultra thin to the toned shape. I think when I was 10kg underwewight even if ate alot of healthy food and a little unhealthy stuff- my body was so desperate for nourishement and I was still spending alot of energy in the pool and gmy and on the lacrosse field - that despite my best efforts it couldnt build any muscle or fat up in the long term so it was a rest period and a heavy eating period it needed to rvcover. Also my ED had retarded my growth a little so as soon as i became vegan and ate sensibly alot of the enery was going into finishing growing instead of re-building muscle and tissues.

Default raw vegan weight loss

hello, I have recently updated my testimonial website about overcoming chronic obesity with a raw vegan diet - please take a look at www.rawreform.com and let me know what you think. Thanks.

Hey, i havent read your whole web-site. It does seem very intriguing though. I will for sure read it all. I really like how you stree how your diet should be whatever you feel is right for you. Too often i find people stress about following a labled (such as 'vegan') diet. Jus do what works for you- -I though that was great. I realy like your site, i'll be telling people about it. And congrad's!
    ~peace.

tails4wagging

Sounds very complicated?. I am 2 stone overweight and vegan, I would dearly love to lose weight. I love nuts, thats my problem, plus crisps!!.I do find that a lot of vegan recipes contain frying or substituting eggs in cakes with veg, oil.

why eat cakes at all? But keep up with the nuts!
    Eve

tails4wagging, I have recently lost a fair bit of weight, largely as a side-effect of lifestyle modifications designed to get my cholesterol levels down (which they did). I still eat (unsalted) nuts so I'd say they're not a barrier to losing weight, but I went "cold tofu" on the crisps as I used to be a bit of a crispaholic. I don't really miss them now but I do include plenty of other crunchy things such as raw carrots etc to satisfy the urge.

If you have a sweet tooth maybe you could up the fruit (including dried fruit) to help you go easy on the cakes etc?

tails4wagging

Dried fruit is a bit dodgy is'nt it cause doe'snt it contain shellac?.
    I don't eat cake that often as I cannot be bothered half the time to bake a vegan one!. Nuts and crisps are my downfall and when my friend and I are out shopping here, it is a nightmare to try and find somewhere to eat that is vegan so we end up eating chips and curry sauce!!!. Vegan choc, is yummy when I can get it.

I believe some dried fruit has shellac - it's a glaze so I think if you go for the non-shiny kinds you should be OK. As far as I know it has to be listed on the packet as an ingredient, so probably more of a hazard for unwrapped things (like shiny apples).

Since I've been on my healthy eating kick I try to carry my own supplies around so I don't get too hungry while I'm out and fall into the crisp/chip trap A few nuts etc usually hit the spot.

You are absolutely beautiful!

Wow you look fabulous! I have been interested in the raw foods lifestyle. I am gradually increasing my intake as each week progresses. I bought a book about raw foods by Juliano called Raw.
    The book is nice and filled with beautiful raw food pictures/recipe's however I was looking for more information about raw foods (nutrition, studies, etc.) instead of mainly recipes. I think I will have to make another trip to Barnes & Noble. I use any excuse to go there.

Interesting stuff on Hypothyroidism. I have suffered with it for 20 years and find the fact you came off thyroxine amazing! Did you have any problems with the medical profession and did your diet balance your thyroid? And how long did it take?

Sorry for all the questions but I would love to come off thyroxine.

Aurora

ConsciousCuisine

Quote MzNatural
    The book is nice and filled with beautiful raw food pictures/recipe's however I was looking for more information about raw foods (nutrition, studies, etc.) instead of mainly recipes. I think I will have to make another trip to Barnes & Noble. I use any excuse to go there.

"Conscious Eating" by Gabriel Cousins is FABULOUS! It has good information on pregnancy and feeding children as well. It is considered a "Raw Food Bible"...

Quote ConsciousCuisine
    "Conscious Eating" by Gabriel Cousins is FABULOUS! It has good information on pregnancy and feeding children as well. It is considered a "Raw Food Bible"...
    Thanks CC!

I called Barnes & Noble to see if it was available but they don’t have it in stock. However they are ordering it for me. They should have it within 4 days. I can’t wait to read it. I went to Amazon and read a sample chapter. I also looked at the Table of Contents. Wow, it is informative. It definitely seems to be what I am looking for.

Thanks again!

Question weight.

i've been vegan for about 9 days now and i anticipated some weight-loss, but haven't lost ANY weight yet! it's not going to discourage me from being vegan because i'm really doing it for the animals, but i also know that the added bonus is a healthier (and leaner) body. is this normal? i really don't eat a lot of fatty foods, or in large amounts.
    how long did it take for you to start losing weight?