Thread: Horrible experience at the Old Court House Inn, Great Bromley, Colchester, Essex

Unhappy Horrible experience at the Old Court House Inn, Great Bromley, Colchester, Essex

My husband and I stayed at the Old Court House Inn for 4 nights last week end. There was a family gathering - 80th birthday party and it was conveniently just down the road. A total of seven rooms were booked for various friends and relatives. My Mum in law booked it, they were not happy about catering for vegans so she took soya marg and milk down for our breakfasts.
    I could go on about a lot of nasty things about this place, one of them being the dirty rooms. The worst that happened though was when my husband approached and the elderly co-owner with a number of complaints (dirty rooms, no hot water, cold rooms), she said and I quote, 'this has only happened once before and that was three years ago. AND THEY WERE VEGANS TOO'. When she said this she was pointing and making stabbing motions with both hands. I have never been so insulted. I have put a review up on Tripadvisor but what else can we do - if anything? Just pass this around I guess.

Default Re: Horrible experience at the Old Court House Inn, Great Bromley, Colchester, E

Oh wow, that's terrible! The worst thing is that whatever you do now is only going to cement this idiots prejudice against us. There are so many review sites for hotels, I'd badmouth them on every single one if I was you.

Rocket Queen

Default Re: Horrible experience at the Old Court House Inn, Great Bromley, Colchester, E

Can we have a link to your review please?
    The greatest mistake is to do nothing because you can only do a little.

how rude! they dug their own hole though if anyone is considering them and reads your review!
    http://youandmesydney.blogspot.com/

I can't see my review up there yet. It may just take time or it could be that they don't publish negative reviews. I had hoped to post on Trip advisor but can't find The Old Court House Inn on their site (I wonder why not?). The site I posted on is Dining out in Essex - http://www.essexrestaurants.com/ I know that Pubs used to be under the umbrella of the Licensed Victuallers and wondered if I should write to them. Anyone have further suggestions?

So she hates vegans for being too clean? :P
    I kissed a duck - and I liked it

I'm not a clean freak - hate housework - but I don't like living in some ones else's dirt! My daughter's bathroom had a tide line off black hair and dust round it, not immediately obvious to older people with diminishing eyesight perhaps. When we pointed it out they said they would see to it. Later they said that 4 people had looked at it and couldn't find the dirt! Basically they called us liars. My daughter wiped a piece of toilet tissue along it - yes still there The carpets in all the bedrooms had bits on them when we arrived and were never subsequently cleaned. I could go on for much longer about other dirty things - crockery, kettles, window sills. I think i may alert the local Health and Safety Dept., that might have an effect. I still can't believe she said that about vegans, she would not have said 'the last time it happened they were (put in a religion/ethnic background) as well' would she?

Quote Pansypuss View Post
    I'm not a clean freak - hate housework - but I don't like living in some ones else's dirt! My daughter's bathroom had a tide line off black hair and dust round it, not immediately obvious to older people with diminishing eyesight perhaps. When we pointed it out they said they would see to it. Later they said that 4 people had looked at it and couldn't find the dirt! Basically they called us liars. My daughter wiped a piece of toilet tissue along it - yes still there The carpets in all the bedrooms had bits on them when we arrived and were never subsequently cleaned. I could go on for much longer about other dirty things - crockery, kettles, window sills. I think i may alert the local Health and Safety Dept., that might have an effect. I still can't believe she said that about vegans, she would not have said 'the last time it happened they were (put in a religion/ethnic background) as well' would she?
    If this is the way they run their business, they don't deserve to be in business. What you have described above is nothing short of disgusting, I definitely would report this to the health authorities, they should be aware they have what amounts to a slum house to deal with.

I can't see your review up there yet, but take heart. The only review currently there is abysmal as well, looks like you're not the only one to have a crap time at this joint.

From the link: http://www.essexrestaurants.com/Colc...ley-Essex.html

Old Courthouse, Tuesday, 18 August 2009
    Written by Rob Jonson

1.7 Overall
    2.0 Food
    2.0 Service
    2.0 Ambience
    1.0 Value
    1.0 Toilets
    3.0 Recommend

1.0 Overall rating

Popped in for Sunday lunch, pub was empty, meal took forever. Turned up cold and meat was so tough you could of used it as a bungee rope. 2 drinks and meal cost a small fortune. As an advisory note, beware!
    Sorry you had a bad experience Pansypuss, but take heart. At least they piss off omnis too*, and now everyone has a reason to avoid this feral joint.

Although I must admit I am glad they wrecked his steak, poor omni! lol

My review and my daughter's is up on Trip advisor! Hurrah, hope word gets around.
    http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUse...x_England.html

leedsveg

You have to suspect just who the people are who could give it a good review!

lv

How awful! If it makes you feel any better, I read reviews from Trip Advisor EVERY time I'm booking into a hotel, I know a fair few others who do the same, so hopefully this should really ruin their business - or at least get it through to them that they really need to sort it out if they want to make any money! Definately agree you should alert Health and Safety - that place sounds grim!!!

Naturally omnis love dirty rooms, cold water and being freezing! You are just way too fussy guys
    Silent but deadly :p