Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: new soya free cheeses/burgers/etc from redwood

Default new soya free cheeses/burgers/etc from redwood

I read in the Animal Times today that redwood has brought out a new line of cheese/sausages/burgers etc which are all soya free, made with pea protein instead.
    Anyone tried any yet? Sounds interesting! Was going to post a link but the website's not working for me :/ I'll be keeping my eyes peeled, but as of yet haven't seen it in stores near me.

Default Re: new soya free cheeses/burgers/etc from redwood

I've got some redwood soya free cheezly in the fridge, not tried it yet though....

I've had the cheezly and it's really nice! Me and my b/f prefer it to the other ones which have soya in. I was at a talk by Heather Mills at the veggie fayre in Brighton a few months ago and she was talking about it, which is why I went out and looked for it and tried it.
    xx

Ooh that's good to know yo-yo! Where did you find it? I live in west sussex

My local Holland + Barrett has is VeganBride
    All beings tremble before violence. All fear death. All love life. See yourself in others. Then whom can you hurt? ~ Buddha

Aw what! Mine doesnt Maybe I can ask them to stock them

You could always try, no harm in asking!

I also read on an old post here about Morrisons that some people had accidentally found some at the cheese aisle there! I'm going to have a look tonight when I go to mine, just incase!
    All beings tremble before violence. All fear death. All love life. See yourself in others. Then whom can you hurt? ~ Buddha

Really?! I'll have to have a look too! My Morrison's is really minimal when it comes to vegan food, but I'm still hopeful

Just came back from Morrisons and they had Cheezly! I nearly danced round the shop To think I've been walking by it for the last 3 weeks!

I also got a packet of 10 Pure Soya slices and a Pure creamy spread at the same aisle!

I have just tried one of the cheese slices and lets just say its an acquired taste. I'm sure it will be lovely with some tomato and onion on a sandwich though

Excellent! Hopefully I'll have the same luck Oof i tried the Pure cream cheese once, bad memories! Hope you like it more than I did!

My OH found the soy free cheese in holland and barrett! Must not have been in when i went, we had some last night and it was v nommy! My mum (omni) tried some too and thought it was nice We both thought it tasted like dairy cheese slices my Grandma used to buy..

leedsveg

Quote VeganBride View Post
    My OH found the soy free cheese in holland and barrett! Must not have been in when i went, we had some last night and it was v nommy! My mum (omni) tried some too and thought it was nice We both thought it tasted like dairy cheese slices my Grandma used to buy..
    I'll be in H&B tomorrow so I'll see if it's in and give it a try.

lv

Ooh that's good to know yo-yo! Where did you find it? I live in west sussex
    hi vegan bride, sorry for delayed response! Glad you managed to find it in the end. I was going to say H and B, though I find the ones in Brighton and Hove are hit and miss, so sometimes they have the soy free one and sometimes not. Like for my party on Saturday they didn't have it though I got the mozzerella one and it still tasted nice I don't know of any health food shops in Crawley or near there, but if you're ever in Brighton, then stock up in Infinity foods, as they have it.
    love yo-yo xx

Thanks yo-yo! Crawley has H & B , but I LOVE infinity foods! Everytime I'm there I have to grab one of the cinamon swirls I love so much I love pottering through the fridge and seeing the crazy food too - vegan haggis?!?!

Thanks yo-yo! Crawley has H & B , but I LOVE infinity foods! Everytime I'm there I have to grab one of the cinamon swirls I love so much I love pottering through the fridge and seeing the crazy food too - vegan haggis?!?!
    hi vegan bride- haggis, I know! Weird hey. My cousin actually cooked that one for me a couple of years ago and it was really good. I have no idea what non-veg haggis tastes like and nor will I ever know but I think we can safely say the vegan one is a million times better! I like those cinnamon things, but prefer the scones...mmm. I have tried to reproduce them at home but they never seem as good as them! They're my bf's favourite too! mmmm scones....
    take care,
    love yo-yo xx

I did have non-vegan haggis once or twice in my youth, and I would agree that the vegan one is much nicer (from a gastronomic as well as a moral standpoint!). It has the advantages of haggis (pepper and oatmeal) without the nasties (gristle).

I haven't seen the soy-free Redwood stuff yet but they do seem to have some new Redwood products in our local H&B - party nibble type things? I have bought some but not tried them yet.

i bought pretty much the whole range yesterday of all the crimbo stuff thats in now from redwood, cranberry bite things, three types of mini-sausage etc, cant wait to try it all =] and got my hands on a celebration roast v early this year as they always go so quickly in my h + b
    yo-yo I haven't tried the scones! will have to next time i'm in had a nice slice of pizza from the bakery though, and i love their flapjacks too... nomnomnom i think a trip to brighton is needed lol

The mini sausage packs are brilliant! Much better value than some of the other stuff, because something like 190g (less than 200g, anyway) chorizo bites were 2.90 and the sausages which I think was 390g were 2.85! We did wonder if they'd made a mistake with the pricing but we didn't say anything
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Had the soy free "fried chicken" type pieces last night which I really liked but my OH wasn't impressed with... more for mee

Had the soy free "fried chicken" type pieces last night which I really liked but my OH wasn't impressed with... more for mee
    I had them last night too, but had the exact opposite experience to you! I didn't like them and my OH loved them. I thought they tasted really processed and almost plasticky. They're pretty high in saturated fat too..
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

heyy thats funny ! I didn't find that they tasted that way, although i was really hungry maybe i just wolfed them down without noticing lol! Ooh dear, i never pay attention to fat :S prob should...!

cobweb

I am desperate to try those 'chicken' pieces!

Quote cobweb View Post
    I am desperate to try those 'chicken' pieces!
    Honestly Cobweb, I wouldn't get your hopes up, they suck!

cobweb

boo

Quote cobweb View Post
    boo
    I know, I had high hopes...

cobweb

well I tried the chicken pieces last night, did a proper 'KFC' thing with fried chips and baked beans. I did actually quite enjoy them...........10 minutes later I had to RUN to the bathroom, and as soon as I came out my son ran in there, don't think they agreed with us!!

Sounds rather fast-acting!

Ohhh, it's going to be fun in our house! We're going to get some of those new Southern Fired 'chicken' pieces to try this weekend, as we really enjoyed the new party bites and cocktail sausages last weekend. Considering my other half's digestive sensations, I'll make sure the path to the loo is clear! Heh heh. Shall I report back? lol
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

cobweb

Quote harpy View Post
    Sounds rather fast-acting!
    They were!!

Quote pusskins View Post
    Ohhh, it's going to be fun in our house! We're going to get some of those new Southern Fired 'chicken' pieces to try this weekend, as we really enjoyed the new party bites and cocktail sausages last weekend. Considering my other half's digestive sensations, I'll make sure the path to the loo is clear! Heh heh. Shall I report back? lol
    ha-ha, yes please!

NEW PRODUCTS FROM REDWOODS:

I've just been to the Redwoods website (it was a bit weird yesterday some of the products disappeared and 2 new ones came up), but today it has been updated again and they have loads of new products:

Tuna Pate
    Mushroom Pate
    Plain Flapjacks
    Brazil Nut Flapjacks
    Double Choc Flapjacks
    4 Types of Yogurt - Plain, Black Cherry, Peach & Apricot, Raspberry
    Meat Balls
    Gourmet Beef Style Pieces
    Gourmet Duck Style Pieces with hoisin glaze

There is a picture of a pizza on the top of the screen, but I cant find one anywhere on the site - there is a roumour that they will start producing frozen pizza's soon though

^ Indeed. In the latest Cook Vegetarian they interview the MD and he mentions that frozen pizza's are on the cards.
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

I saw that and an advert for the yogurts, but only saw them on the site.
    Cait wait for this new stuff to hit H&B

leedsveg

Let's hope they become bigger than Quorn and as ubiquitous.

lv

Oh wow! So excited for all that! Especially frozen pizza & meat balls and my mum will be happy to try new patés. She's tried practically every other vegan paté on the market haha!
    Pizza would be awesome for going round friends houses or social events. I doubt I'll like it more than my home cooked version though :P
    "Life is life – whether in a cat, or dog or man. The idea of difference is a human conception for man’s own advantage."

Quote megrainbows View Post
    Oh wow! So excited for all that! Especially frozen pizza & meat balls and my mum will be happy to try new patés. She's tried practically every other vegan paté on the market haha!
    Pizza would be awesome for going round friends houses or social events. I doubt I'll like it more than my home cooked version though :P
    The meatballs are already in the shops, I bought some yesterday and they look like they would be nice in a meatball sub.
    If your mum wants pate, has she tried Viana? I've just polished off a tub of the veggie garden one and it was great (http://www.veggiestuff.com/acatalog/...s-spreads.html)

I've just tried the Redwood faux tuna pate, has anyone else? I found it a bit strange but quite moreish. It does have a fishy taste which I assume is due to seaweed although the ingredients list is a little vague.

It's a long time since I had actual tuna pate so I'm probably not the best judge but I don't remember it being quite that solid. Not that it matters.

Hi Harpy
    Can I ask where you bought it?

Yes, it was in the local H&B, along with some other newish-looking Redwood stuff. I daresay other branches will be getting it soon if they haven't already.

My local H&B seem to always be a bit behind the times, I will go in tomorrow and if they haven't got any ask them to put some away when it does come in

Mine's behind the times as well so you might be lucky.

I'll keep my fingers crossed, but they didn't have any on Wednesday and they get their delivery on Tuesdays.
    I live in hope

leedsveg

Quote harpy View Post
    I've just tried the Redwood faux tuna pate, has anyone else? I found it a bit strange but quite moreish. It does have a fishy taste which I assume is due to seaweed although the ingredients list is a little vague.

It's a long time since I had actual tuna pate so I'm probably not the best judge but I don't remember it being quite that solid. Not that it matters.
    I'll have to try it. I used to like the Realeat "fishcakes" but they seem to have stopped producing them some time ago. I'm not impressed with with the Redwood "fishfingers" or "scampi".

lv

Funny, LV, I thought the fish fingers were quite OK but the scampi was indescribably awful. I wonder whether things actually taste different to different people or whether it's that we like different tastes - hard to ascertain. Anyway will be interested to hear what people think about the pate, am still undecided (and thinking of trying it on the cats )

*thinks* Will Redwood end up being a rival to Quorn? I hope they start getting stocked in the supermarkets.
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

Waitrose did stock at least a couple of Redwood products - think it was the aforementioned "fish" fingers and one of the Cheezlys - but I'm not sure whether they still do.

Large branches of Tesco have cheezly cheddar, Asda used to do a full range of slices, sausages, pate and chicken but they have stopped.Sigh

Quote pusskins View Post
    *thinks* Will Redwood end up being a rival to Quorn? I hope they start getting stocked in the supermarkets.
    Morrisons sell redwoods vegideli slices which they sometimes have at £1 and I've seen cheezly in there before (cheaper than holland and Barrett, think it was £1.70 or something) but not for a while. Hopefully supermarkets will stock more redwoods things if demand grows!

Quote harpy View Post

My local H&B just got this in yesterday, I bough one pack of this and a pack of the mushroom pate.
    I've just tried the tuna one with bread and I'm undecided about it, it does remind me of having Princes tuna pate before I was vegan but it doesn't taste quite as fishy (part of me thought it tasted like a slightly moist version of the Turkey style roast they do).
    I might try putting it in a tuna casserole and see what that tastes like, or maybe a pizza. I would buy it again but it didn't make me jump for joy - I do think Redwoods missed a good opportunity though, if they had launched it in March they could have marketed it as a vegan option for Good Friday.

What bugged me is I bought this before going to work yesterday, I had to work a late shift last night so I took dinner to work ( a sandwich made from Tesco Reduced Fat Houmous with Tesco Mild Salsa, toasted in a frying pan and left to go cold) and it tasted like a fish sandwich - better than the Redwood pate.

I tried redwoods mushroom pate. Wasn't great. I prefer the Granovita one in a tin.

I haven't seen the mushroom one yet I don't think. I don't seem to be desperate to re-buy the tuna one. These things are relatively expensive and not particularly healthy (IME) so I have to like them a lot to want to buy them regularly.

I did quite like the soy-free Cheezly though so I will probably get that again.