Thread: Nice things people say

Default Nice things people say

I don't know if this has been done before but I thought I'd make a thread for good responses we get from vegetarians or non-vegetarians.

I was hanging around with some bikers yesterday and I got talking to one and he mentioned my boots were very shiny and I said I don't wear leather. He was covered in leather btw. He was very respectful, only asked why and if I was vegetarian and ate fish, so I told him it was for animals and I didn't and I didn't eat cheese or anything. It's so rare and nice to be respected for what you stand for.
    You discover in him all the same organs of feeling as in yourself....has Nature arranged all the springs of feeling in this animal to the end that he might not feel?

Default Re: Nice things people say

An elderly man who volunteers at the hospital where I work always brings me a tray of coffee and biscuits as soon as I enter the office. Because he takes such obvious pleasure in being useful and appreciated I accept the biscuits without comment and then put them back in the tin later..

last week I got chatting to him and I told him I was Vegan and thanked him for the biscuits but said that I couldnt eat them and why. He went quiet and left the office so I thought I had offended him but the next day he returned with a coffee and a banana on a china plate. He said he had been racking his brain about what he could bring instead of biscuits and had brought a banana in from home for me!!!

I was absoultely overwhelmed at this display of respect .

Rocket Queen

That's awesome
    The greatest mistake is to do nothing because you can only do a little.

Quote SlackAlice View Post
    An elderly man who volunteers at the hospital where I work always brings me a tray of coffee and biscuits as soon as I enter the office. Because he takes such obvious pleasure in being useful and appreciated I accept the biscuits without comment and then put them back in the tin later..

last week I got chatting to him and I told him I was Vegan and thanked him for the biscuits but said that I couldnt eat them and why. He went quiet and left the office so I thought I had offended him but the next day he returned with a coffee and a banana on a china plate. He said he had been racking his brain about what he could bring instead of biscuits and had brought a banana in from home for me!!!

I love that, that's so sweet!

cobweb

My mum recently told me that although she would never become vegan herself, she respects me for it and is proud that I have such strong beliefs. My mum is a very non-gushy type person so that meant a lot to me .

This is lovely although I would respectfully suggest that you take him in some vegan biscuits and share them - otherwise he may think you are a non biscuit eating 'freak'!
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

Quote vava View Post
    This is lovely although I would respectfully suggest that you take him in some vegan biscuits and share them - otherwise he may think you are a non biscuit eating 'freak'!
    Yes that is a good idea!! Lol.

Think I will do just that next time I am in..repay the thoughtfulness
    Slack

Aw, I was grinning like silly when I read that! What a nice man!

My parents have finally gone past their first negative view of my veganism and today at breakfast, my father just normally asked me what I was going to eat when he was laying the table. Just so that he'd know whether to put a bowl or a plate in my spot! Normally, he just ignores it and when I remind him, he always comes with a snide remark or something. None of that today, even though I'm going to a demonstration against lab-testing today! And he even offered to drive me there!!

Now, THAT is a first!
    Why kill when you have the choice to avoid it?

I don't think I have a story to tell. A lot of family members (my fiancé and father mainly) think that being vegetarian (as it was at the time of last mentioning) was the right thing to do and everyone should be, bit they like everyone else are not so the best they think they can do is cut down.
    So there, my story would be the continuous understand of my nonvegetian family from a ridiculously youn age (my sister was a vegetarian when I was gowing up and I decided that I wasn't going to eat meat as soon as I understood the concept - the innocence of child). my mother has forced me to eat fish amdjelly a couple of time when I was younger and for that a part of me will never forgive her but time has moved on, I can just be grateful that she gave me and my beliefs the respect she did.

Sorry if there are any typos in there, I'm on my iPhone and I am really bad at typing on it, plus it always seem to autocorrect tothw strangest of words at times.

I have quite a difficult manager at work who can say quite offensive when it comes to Veganism - BUT, whenever we do anything as a department (E.G we all went for a weekend away, we go for meals sometimes), he will always take me to one side a few days before and check that I will be O.K with the food wherever we are going.

He says it in a considerate and kind way and it always puts a smile on my face.

RubyDuby

that is very cool, Firestorm.

My bf's mom always rolls her eyes at the word "vegan", but during a discussion about what I feed my dogs she actually said they are probably a lot healthier than other dogs because of so many junk dog foods out there.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

BlackBow

I love this thread! It gives me hope because I've only been vegan for a month and I expect everyone that's not
    a vegan to look at me like I'm crazy when I reveal my veganism. This thread gives me hope
    When I told my mom she was nasty about it and said I would die, but I taught her more about it and now she supports me.
    I can't wait till I find a respectful non vegan in real life. I can't even find online!

More a 'do' than 'say' this one ...

T'lady in the 'Greasy Spoon' snack van near where I work always, without having to be asked, takes great care to protect anything she cooks for me (french bread stick loaded with griddled onions, tomato and mushrooms usualy - very nice!) from being contaminated by any meat or oozings thereof.

All done in the best possible taste ...

That's really good and understanding of her! Sounds yum, too Mmmm, fried onions...
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

Quote pusskins View Post
    That's really good and understanding of her! Sounds yum, too Mmmm, fried onions...
    She is a good person Pusskins, gives a lot of her takings to charity, apparently ..

Makes me feel sad that she is stuck in the 'meat trap' sometimes. There is a thing about being a meat-eater which means that a large part of our compassionate must be kept permanently under suppression.

I just kinda feel that to a basicaly good and compassionate omni that must be like keeping a very precious part of themself locked away in a permanent 'prison'.
    All done in the best possible taste ...

Quote BlackBow View Post
    I can't wait till I find a respectful non vegan in real life. I can't even find online!
    I actually think they are easier to find in real life than online, where as you've discovered some people will attack a stranger's beliefs in quite an aggressive way.

I find most people I meet try to be accommodating, even if they don't really understand what it's about. For example, I have a friend who has a very un-vegan job, but when I went round to her house she got a vegan meal for everyone there, not just me, which was great.

My flat mate was trying to be nice bless her, the first day I announced my veganism she said 'Right well we better get to the health food shop and get you lots of supplements because you're not going to get any vitamins or minerals.' Honestly, it was lovely the way she said it, just a shame she was so hugely misinformed
    Even the smallest person can change the course of the future

I've never really had people say anything bad about my veganism, probably because I give glares of death if anyone dares.

Someone bought me gluten free/vegan biscuits once. lol

I get called strong and compassionate but that is a bit annoying really. haha
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

My friend who came round to dinner (who is veggie not vegan) said she thought I should definitely make cakes on a for-profit basis, and she wanted to buy cakes from me! She said I should bring them into work (which I do at the moment anyway) but either sell them there or put business cards by them. When I mentioned that some people would be wary of buying vegan cakes she said "but they taste good, just say you can supply vegan cakes, and then if people enquire you can tell them all the cakes are vegan" and didn't remotely think it was an issue.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Quote twinkle View Post
    "but they taste good, just say you can supply vegan cakes, and then if people enquire you can tell them all the cakes are vegan" and didn't remotely think it was an issue.
    That's really cool, Twinkle! I always say that cake is cake, that you can't taste the animal ingredients. My family always eat cakes I make even though every time they seem surprised that they're nice! I have a vegetarian friend who says that she doesn't like egg-free cakes because 'you can taste the difference', but has on other occasions says that it makes cakes rubbery. She's just quite rude everytime I bring up making cakes, with comments such as 'Oh you'd need to buy a tonne of egg replacer to make that, no health food shop would have that much'. Just silly, ignorant comments that don't even have a basis.

Anyway, the point of this thread is nice things people say. One of my cousins once told me that she'd go vegan if it would make her look as healthy as I do
    Houmous atá ann!