Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What's your accent?

Default Re: What's your accent?

Quote feline01
    Reminds me of Renton's speech in Trainspotting when they were out hiking. He was complaining how it's shite to be Scottish..the English are wankers but the Scots were so low that they were colonized by wankers. A classic scene in one of my favorite movies.
    LOL! I love that film Feline!

Some people say I have 'no accent', people in Birmingham think I sound posh (I'm not posh...!), people in London (or further south) think I sound northern. I definately have a Nottinghamshire accent.

I like american accents very much!

All American accents? The New York/New Jersey accent is actually very similar to "BBC" English.

Too bad, I don't have one.

cross barer

I'm a southerner, which is true... I'm australian and have never been (and hope I never go) to america!

One of my answers was "common in all US and southern urban areas". Has the south left the union again?

coney

I'm about half and half. 55% Dixie, lots of Great Lakes tendencies, though.

I must have a weired accent - I have been in Spain only once, and that was at nine years, and still, people guess from my accent that I am Spanish, while, in fact, I am German.

As I live in Scotland, I always say that anything is better than speaking like Berti Vogts, and I get laughs for that!

littleTigercub

61% dixie. Not that I'm surprised. My mother's family are Arkie's and my father's are Okie's, so it doesn't really matter that I was raised in SoCal. Though I did have a slight valley girl accent for most of my middle school days, and am sometimes accused of still having a trace of it. Anyway, on another note I will take this time to mention that I have a cat that is named Dixie that is practically identical to the one on Feline01's avatar , just thought I would say.
    From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere.

64% Dixie, definitively Southern. Thing is, I have never been to America in my life! I have an Irish accent, with a bit of Northern English. We need an British version of this...

I got 55% (Dixie). Barely into the Dixie category. I had to guess some of the questions though, like the long sandwich one - I just call them 'big samwidges'.

I've got an Edinburgh (Scottish) accent.

I had to guess as well on that one. I would normally say "big butty!"

Pilaf

"78% (Dixie). That is a pretty strong Southern score!"

Dadgum it....

I got 56% percent dixie. Im not even american, but whatever. I wonder who made this thing..
    "You'd better take care of me lord, otherwise you're gonna have me on your hands" - Hunter S. Thompson

On the Coast

I'm a 58% Dixie (Barely Dixie)

Which makes sense and it does'nt, as I've never been East of Colorado in the States (but have been to Quebec, and some of Europe). My family though, definately holds roots from a Southern Conservative zone, though the last 2 generations have been in the West/SouthWest (i.e. - Texas/Colorado/Arizona/California)

Fun little test - I was giggling at some of the examples since I am always noticing the differences in peoples pronunciations and vernacular.

LittleNellColumbia

67% (Dixie). A definitive Southern score!

born and raised in cheshire/derbyshire but lived in surrey since was 10, so 80% northern accent, but duller than it used to be i still say BATH and GRASS not BARTH and GRRRRRARS

yogini

aussie now, with a few remenants of kiwi thrown in every now and then. though when i use my polite 'customer voice' people think im english?!

Gliondrach

Slight Geordie, slight Yorkshire, and a touch of Eskimo.

though i've lived all over the country, i still hold my yankee status, thanks, quiz!

Well I'm "100% (Dixie). Is General Lee your father?" Hehe. Don't know how that happened I'm from Australian decent and I've lived in England all my life. I've never been to any place in America as my parents don't like the idea .

In reality though I'm a southerner. I'm a weird one though as I say Bath and Barth, both ways of Grass, both ways of either, and, well both ways of all them kind of words really. Not helpfull but I can't help it . It makes it hard for people to know where I'm from as I have been known to say one word one way and then another word the other way in the same sentence .

I've also been confused for being American, Spanish, French and Australian by the same person (alot of other people aslo ask if I'm from these places to so it's not just the one person either )
    "I wouldn't eat a chicken if it dropped dead infront of me holding a up a sign that said eat me." - Ricky Williams

I took the test and came out "barely Yankee," which is odd since I've lived in the South (US) my whole life! Though I have had fellow Southerners with strong accents ask me if I'm a Yankee
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh