Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Veganism - "it plays a small role in my life"?

Not real name!

Default Re: Veganism - "it plays a small role in my life"?

I don't mind it when people say "This is (notreallycalled)Glen. He's a vegan". I don't mind in the slightest. As long as they don't say it sarcastically and have a sense of awe, wonder, deep respect and the 'hots' for me in their tone of voice I'm happy with it.

Quote leedsveg View Post
    Know what you mean Firestorm. Sometimes I see postings in the forum that I really disagree with but I just don't have the education/intelligence that many others do to be able to come out with a satisfactory response. It's so frustrating but if I 'aint got it, I 'aint got it and there's not much I can do. Self awareness can be bloody awfull and as for Robert Burns with his "Oh would some power the gift tae gi'e us, Tae see oorselves as ithers see us." Er, no thanks mate!

Cheers, Leedsveg
    You are being far too modest Leedsveg!

Sometimes I feel posters try too hard to appear intelligent, I can see right through them. I prefer to simply state my point of view with no frills attached.

p.s. About the vegan thing...........it plays a big role in my life and I love it when someone says, 'This is Sandra....she's a mad cat-woman vegan'
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Quote leedsveg View Post
    Know what you mean Firestorm. Sometimes I see postings in the forum that I really disagree with but I just don't have the education/intelligence that many others do to be able to come out with a satisfactory response. It's so frustrating but if I 'aint got it, I 'aint got it and there's not much I can do. Self awareness can be bloody awfull and as for Robert Burns with his "Oh would some power the gift tae gi'e us, Tae see oorselves as ithers see us." Er, no thanks mate!

Cheers, Leedsveg
    I often feel this way

Quote Glen Lambert View Post
    I don't mind it when people say "This is (notreallycalled)Glen. He's a vegan". I don't mind in the slightest. As long as they don't say it sarcastically and have a sense of awe, wonder, deep respect and the 'hots' for me in their tone of voice I'm happy with it.
    I think this is what I was trying to get at, I dont mind being labeled Vegan, I am proud of it, its just when people say it sarcastically or with that look they give each other like I'm some poor misguided fool - thats when it winds me up

For me it's the foundation
    Not always visible, but I wouldn't be the same without it

I think being vegan has made me reappraise my relationship to people too. If I can use my economic power to avoid harm to animals, perhaps I can use it to good effect for other people too

But I am far from a perfect vegan if there is such a thing. My sanity requires that I take drugs tested on animals. My job requires I prescribe them to others. I havent found a path out of that yet.

Absolutely fundamental is how I'd describe it!

veganism is a huge part of my life. i look at everything through a different lens because i am vegan. i mean everything. every time i walk my dog, drive to school, go to the gym, or do anything i see things. i see unhealthy people. i see angry people. i see commercials that are selling america a load of b.s. i hear people say things that make me cringe. i am a witness to how twisted our world has become. i feel like everyone else has been brainwashed and i am the only one that can see the truth.
    veganism rules my life at home too. i am always planning what deliciously nutritious meal i am going to make next. i am planning where to buy the ingredients and when i am going to have time to cook. i am packing meals to take to school and work so that i dont get tempted to eat something i shouldnt. in my spare time i come on this forum to learn and discuss, or i watch a documentary on the livestock industry, or a read a book with a vegan author. i dont watch tv (i dont even own one) or take a nap. i want to learn. i want to expand and grow. i want to be healthy and knowledgeable. i want to go to the gym and see just how much energy organic plant based foods can give me. i want to reach out to my friends and family and share my perspective. my veganism is the final stage of a long personal transformation i have been undergoing for years. i feel motivated and enlightened. i want to be the best i can be for myself and everyone else (including all the lovely other species that inhabit this planet). veganism helps me to be this way. without it, i dont know where i would be. of course there are many other aspects of my life that are also important. i feel like they all combine together to make me who i am. and i love me!

Default feel the same

Quote trinity73x View Post
    veganism is a huge part of my life. i look at everything through a different lens because i am vegan. i mean everything. every time i walk my dog, drive to school, go to the gym, or do anything i see things. i see unhealthy people. i see angry people. i see commercials that are selling america a load of b.s. i hear people say things that make me cringe. i am a witness to how twisted our world has become. i feel like everyone else has been brainwashed and i am the only one that can see the truth.
    veganism rules my life at home too. i am always planning what deliciously nutritious meal i am going to make next. i am planning where to buy the ingredients and when i am going to have time to cook. i am packing meals to take to school and work so that i dont get tempted to eat something i shouldnt. in my spare time i come on this forum to learn and discuss, or i watch a documentary on the livestock industry, or a read a book with a vegan author. i dont watch tv (i dont even own one) or take a nap. i want to learn. i want to expand and grow. i want to be healthy and knowledgeable. i want to go to the gym and see just how much energy organic plant based foods can give me. i want to reach out to my friends and family and share my perspective. my veganism is the final stage of a long personal transformation i have been undergoing for years. i feel motivated and enlightened. i want to be the best i can be for myself and everyone else (including all the lovely other species that inhabit this planet). veganism helps me to be this way. without it, i dont know where i would be. of course there are many other aspects of my life that are also important. i feel like they all combine together to make me who i am. and i love me!
    Wow, I just read this entire thread and the last post really connected with me. I've been vegan for 5+ years now. I still continue to become even more sensitive to life. Trinity73x, I feel you. I am to a witness to all I see that is wrong. Veganism is a huge part of my life. I discuss it most days, think about how I can help everyone around me. I get so disturbed when I see people overweight, sick or dead. I'm 40 now and I worry about everyone I work with. Sometimes I want to scream! "why isn't anyone listening to me?". Sure it took a long time for me to see the light. My excuse was I'm too busy. When you get to 30, you start to think more about health. This is when I started to focus on diet and how to avoid disease. I've been explaining this (with the help of some great books) to everyone I meet. Sure I get tired of it, only talk when people ask. But now I feel more urgency. I need/want to take it to another level. So I'm reading more about activism. Maybe I have a skill that can help on another broader level besides the people near me. I shouldn't feel like the one with a disease. This has been a tough week for me and it's nice to have this forum so I can express myself. One last thing, I care more and more about the animals too. Didn't want to leave them out. It's world wide genocide in my mind.

I'm not sure how to answer this question. I know that once I became Vegan I felt much more at peace with myself and the world in general. So it certainly isn't a small part. It's lifechanging so it has an impact. It alters your perception of the world and your place in it. Or at least it does for me. I don't want to turn Veganism into some sort of religious experience, although I suppose it could be compared to that. I know a lot of things in my life (philosophical and religion) had been up in the air for me for seven years. It seemed once I had embraced the Vegan lifestyle, many of those pieces simply fell in to place. I don't feel as if I am searching for answers to life anymore. Being Vegan answered them for me. It's like coming home after a long journey.

I'd have to say going vegan was also life changing for me. It was as if everything clicked and made sense and suddenly I became a different person. I am not the same person I was 2 years ago. It isn't just the food I eat that has changed, it is the way I think about people, the way I think about my health and the way I choose to spend my free time has all changed. My choices for the future have changed, everything. Everything is more clear and I am confident that the choices I am making are the right ones.