Thread: The ignorance of some people!!

Default The ignorance of some people!!

Ok.....So i think it would be good to share this with people who will understand....
    Last nite i was laid in bed shivering my backside off and i decided to post a status update on facebook saying:
    Wishes it wasn't so cold! Imagine wot itll b like in 10 yrs time! If everyone carrys on eating meat n dairy its guna be like the iceage! Animals=green house gases=global warming=even MORE snow!!

This status was just a general thing basically how i was feeling i also posted it at like 3am so wasn't really to be noticed (as not many people are awake that time of morning)

Anyways these are the replies that i got:

Person A:what a load of bull hahaha freedom to eat meat!

Me: Lol ok if thats wot u think! I believe theres is research supporting animals especially cows! To be a huge factor in global warmin! Look it up... And im not takin away ne ones freedom to eat meat im just stating a fact that global warmin is makin me shiver my ass off lol

Person B: What a load of shit!! Lol so even if you want to keep the cows why the bloody hell does that mean u can't eat dairy?! And when your buying your fruit n veg do u get the stuff that's grown down the road? Or the nice looking veg that comes from Spain etc meaning your carbon foot print is through the roof which is worse than eating a bloody cow! Double standards!!!

Me: u shudnt really speal crap like that wen u have no idea thts all im sayin i dont need to sit n argue with ya wen i wish to put somethin i know to be true on my status if ya dont like it dont comment
    n fyi the fact that as a nation we consume masses of meat every year that give off more emissions than the whole transport on the planet

Person B:Lol your joking right?!! Your just sat reading biased articles on the Internet that doesn't make it fact lol don't preach what you don't practice!!

Me: lmao did u really just right that FACT for you i have been reading books articles and journals on the impacts animals have on our planet for about a year now (so i haven't just read a article and thought oh god no) the FACT were consuming m...ore now than we ever have been and its gettin worse so i think you need to keep ya comments to ya self and just take a look yourself at what is actually goin on in the world befor you make any comments towards me...is it so wrong that im worried about our planet? and what we are leaving as legacy to our children and there children?

Person A: basicallly everything is natural its gunna happen its how the world changes and evolves.eating meat has nothing to do with it....your learning drive right?...you fart, you use your heating....it all adds up
    everyone single person on this pla...net even vegans have a part in this global warming thing...whos to say its not natural...how do we know it hasnt been here all along since the dinosaur times...dont believe everything you read just because some sceince people have an idea so it must be true
    Peace, Love and Coffee =)

Default Re: The ignorance of some people!!

Me: ok but what isnt natural is the amount of animal been bread in there 100's of thousands/millions cows have 4 stomaches when they fart/burp they produce whats called methane a certain amount of methane is in the atmosphere is natural, ...and is a good thing. Along with other so-called 'greenhouse gases' methane collects in the sky and traps warm air around our planet. Problems begin when the layer of greenhouse gases gets too thick and traps too much heat. This is called 'global warming'. It's now a proven fact that our planet is warming up very quickly. And, most scientists agree that this is because of greenhouse gases, including methane. Which takes us back to our farting farm animals. A scientific report published in California last week claimed that dairy cows in the area were producing almost 20 pounds (in weight, that's almost 10 kg) of gas every year, each. That's a huge, huge amount. Also sheep emit methane.
    I'm not saying this is the only reason we are killing our planet but it is a massive contribution were either going to freeze or over heat. Is it really that bad that im worried?

Person C: i would rather the over heat part hehe im too cold
    there is no way i could practise what u preach my food bill would be sky high me being vegan n the rest not imagine what charlles would eat lol plus he would be out of a job you wouldnt wish... that on us would you ? love you xx

Me: lol no but im sure there would be some sort of vegan fastfood place to replace KFC and much tastier (n healthier) hmmm wonder if you could fry a carrot :P....he can come work for me when i open my vegan cafe lol that wud b fun to work with charlie...love ya 2 hun xx

Person C: lol i thought you were saying vegan kfc then hehe x

Me:that's two words youll never seeput together in a sentance again

Person A: We all fart tho more reason to eat cows to reduce the gases hahaha plus global warming as been known for the past 15 years but does mean it hasn't been around all the time. All I'm saying is not eating meat ain't gunna save the planet lol just like some people baileys in god some don't some people beleive in paranormal some don't but no everyone perches saying it's TRUE it might be true to you but not everyone. Bring on the snow I've always wanted to be an eskemo lol

Person B: I bet the same people who write your articles write that the worlds going to end in 2012 too. It's not about having arguing with you, I was trying to simply debate the fact that it's silly to care that much about global warming n becoming a vegan when ur carbon footprint is probably through the roof! I'm not bring a dick I'm just displaying my opinion sorry if you can handle it or take it personally!!

Me: me been vegan is only partly to do with global warmin i can handle your opinion i just wish u wernt so closed mind

Person B: Just because I don't share your opinion doesn't make me closed minded!

Me: No but because u can't seem to understand makes u close minded does it not? U just wade in there and be so negative instead of even askin y i thought what i stated in my status....makin judgements on were u think i got my information from y...et i can understand y u done that yet u cant seem to grase were im comin from....this has gone on to long and personally ive had enough if everyone thought how u think (like i used to think) then the world would never change and we'd all carry on with our eyes shut to what is happenin right under our noses...how can u justify any of it?

Waiting for a reply not that i want one as im very upset by this...
    Sorry for such a long post, i just need to talk to people who arn't so ignorant towards whats happening. Please leave a comment and tell me what you think would you have done anything different? (Sorry its in 3 parts its cos i copied and pasted it)

How many of you guys get into fights on facebook? I personally can't use global warming as a defence because I haven't researched it a whole lot. If someone gets under my skin, I ask them to give me a solid reason as to why animals need to suffer for them, and they can't give me a straight answer without sounding like an asshole. I wouldn't have let comments go either though. If someone wants to start something, we've got the intelligence to finish it off Is Person B a close friend of family member?

i just didnt have the energy to argue at daft o'clock in the mornin.....shes my ex

Oh yeah, it's morning in the UK now. That's a tough one... Maybe your last comment stumped her and she doesn't know how to respond?

i hope so because shes a chef she thinks she know everythin i think.....im just shocked at the ignorance ive only been vegan 4 weeks and this is my 'first encouter' thanks for respondin

I used to be a line cook, myself. I thought I knew everything there was to know about nutrition. That feels like years ago now... And even though I had such a huge transformation in diet, I couldn't change the way my family ate. Some people are just closed off. You could sit there all day listing facts and quoting scientists, but it wont change anything. Hopefully that will be the last comment from people for the night Might I suggest changing your status? Good luck with the situation, let us know how it goes.

I sometimes cite this UN report which discusses the impact of eating animal products http://www.unep.org/resourcepanel/do...eport_Full.pdf No one could accuse the UN of being a vegan pressure group and the report is quite long so in the unlikely event that the people you're arguing with read it you would at least get a bit of peace

These arguments are pretty impossible to win though because as Back-Space says people often close their minds to stuff they don't want to know. If you pursue it they will probably finish by saying something intelligent like "well it tastes nice " All you can really do is put the information out there and hope someone more receptive will read it as well.

Thanks harpy thankfully not ones replied anymore to it.
    I just got a bit angry at the fact it was my opinion on my own page

Pfft... Where do you think you live? A free country? You should know better than to post your own opinion

Were you to posting back and forth where everyone could read it, or was it through private messages?

i know lol ud think i wasn't allowed to think for myself
    It was a status post so all the ppl on my friends list could see it.

Lol Oh, good thing you didn't back down then When people see it, they'll notice that she had no response to your last post

Quote ems.w View Post
    i know lol ud think i wasn't allowed to think for myself
    I think the ability to think is a distinct disadvantage on facebook - it just distracts from all the moo-ing!

LOL @slackalice.....@back-space well she didn't relpy so i gess she just give up!

Very loosely the buddhist attitude towards the ignorance of other people goes summat along the lines of this ..

If ignorance is akin to darkness and non ignorance is 'enlightenment' then if ignorance survives contact with you then you are clearly not yet enlightened enough.
    All done in the best possible taste ...

Yeah, sometimes when you post on facebook, you get the most nasty remarks, espically from people who say they are your friends or family. I know cause I posted a picture of the first real vegan meal I had ever cooked (and I never cooked even when i was preveg) So I was very excited. Of course, I got hit with questions about how animals are ours to eat, and how dumb I was, and I was going to get sick. I finally took down the picture....horrible...lol. So I feel your pain!
    Best advice I can give is: If it gets out of control with major post and questions, I would simply state " this is how I feel and here is a website to show you the evidence of (blank blank)" cause some people feel that if they see it in another source besides yourself, they can believe it better

It's sad the way none of these people who argue against veganism NEVER give a thought to the pain and cruelty endured by animals..............these people have no empathy whatsoever, I feel sorry for them.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Quote sandra View Post
    It's sad the way none of these people who argue against veganism NEVER give a thought to the pain and cruelty endured by animals..............these people have no empathy whatsoever, I feel sorry for them.
    I think confrontation puts people on defence. They're going to back themselves up even if they know they're wrong, just because of your opposing views. Never admit defeat

Rocket Queen

I agree.Getting angry and telling people they're wrong, makes them defensive. I adopt the other approach by asking them , about their choices. It has worked a lot.
    The greatest mistake is to do nothing because you can only do a little.

Night_Owl

They just don't get it or care. I believe a lot of people who go to the supermarket and pick up that nice tidy package of meat have no idea of how the animals they are eating are treated or suffering. The information is there. They have been raised on meat and seems they don't want to really know the truth. When I saw how those animals are thrown around and neglected I couldn't go back to eating meat. How could I eat the meat from an animal that has been bashed around. If I could not kill an animal myself why should I eat the animal? Sort of a denial of the truth. So used to just getting meat as food from the supermarket and not having site of the slaughter house. Never again.
    t

Quote Back-Space View Post
    I think confrontation puts people on defence. They're going to back themselves up even if they know they're wrong, just because of your opposing views. Never admit defeat
    I agree, confrontation does make people defensive but I think the core of the problem is these people argue on the grounds of what matters to THEM, not what matters to the animals. As I said they have no empathy with other living beings............and that's what is sad.

I've taken myself off Facebook... and TBH I can't say I really miss it

I'm with you Fiamma...............I hardly ever go on Facebook.............I prefer the vegan forum to be honest!

@Festered&Sandra

Unfortunately it's kind of hard to have a serious discussion with an omnivore without sounding condescending... And that's usually what sets people off. They take it personally as if it's a shot at their intelligence or something. Then you get the classic arguments you can read all over the forum. Because even if they know you're right, changing to a plant-based diet would be admittance that they were wrong, and people are too proud to do that. I usually leave the topic alone unless someone asks me questions. Then I try as best I can to answer it in a way I think might get them to go home and research it further.

I think some people cherish their ignorance - example - a girlie I work with came into work distressed because she had nearly hit a bird with her car - she then proceeded to eat ham in a bun (ooo I nearly laughed myself silly there cos I wrote bum and had to change it!) for her lunch. I said to her one of these days when you have nothing better to do you should have a look at a film called meet your meat. She looked horrified and asked if it was gruesome. I said yes it shows what happens to animals in an abbatoir - slitting their throats and seeing them having a fit etc. She said no its bad enough when I watch a scarey movie - it gives me nightmares - I am not watching that! I said to her that what goes on in an abbatoir is much much worse than what happens in a scarey movie. Thankfully when I glanced up at her about 2 minutes later she was deep in thought. Was I mean?
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

Quote vava View Post
    I think some people cherish their ignorance - example - a girlie I work with came into work distressed because she had nearly hit a bird with her car - she then proceeded to eat ham in a bun (ooo I nearly laughed myself silly there cos I wrote bum and had to change it!) for her lunch. I said to her one of these days when you have nothing better to do you should have a look at a film called meet your meat. She looked horrified and asked if it was gruesome. I said yes it shows what happens to animals in an abbatoir - slitting their throats and seeing them having a fit etc. She said no its bad enough when I watch a scarey movie - it gives me nightmares - I am not watching that! I said to her that what goes on in an abbatoir is much much worse than what happens in a scarey movie. Thankfully when I glanced up at her about 2 minutes later she was deep in thought. Was I mean?
    Not at all Facts aren't all over the place for omnis to see. Sometimes they need a vegan to light the way I agree with you on the ignorance... It's much easier just to play stupid and avoid the stress from caring about something you can't change.

Rocket Queen

@Festered&Sandra

Unfortunately it's kind of hard to have a serious discussion with an omnivore without sounding condescending... And that's usually what sets people off. They take it personally as if it's a shot at their intelligence or something. Then you get the classic arguments you can read all over the forum. Because even if they know you're right, changing to a plant-based diet would be admittance that they were wrong, and people are too proud to do that. I usually leave the topic alone unless someone asks me questions. Then I try as best I can to answer it in a way I think might get them to go home and research it further.
    I agree-but I don't care-am very careful how I speak to people though. Think that comes from being a manager of an office, I can't NOT be, and it helps.

Quote vava View Post
    Was I ace? Yes.
    The greatest mistake is to do nothing because you can only do a little.

Not at all Facts aren't all over the place for omnis to see. Sometimes they need a vegan to light the way I agree with you on the ignorance... It's much easier just to play stupid and avoid the stress from caring about something you can't change.
    But that's the thing...........they CAN change it...........I think that's why they prefer their ignorance because they know that if they are confronted with the reality they might have to change.

Sorry i havent been replyin guys my laptop broke so had to save for a new one.....but im happy to tell you that the person in perticular (my ex) has actually fully apoligised and sees were im coming from now from watchin hugh's great fish fight shes even said that when she opens her own resturant she wants me to go down and shell cook a vegan meal for me so at least shes actually realised what she said was harsh and that me been vegan isnt such a bad thin!

Suggestion ... Add some fellow vegans at facebook as friends, then you might not have to fight all those fights alone.

I only very recently joined facebook (as "social media" was not acceptable to my company's spam filter until recently, and have about 80% of vegan friends, so I never get into arguments like that...

Best regards,
    Andy

That wud be helpful although i only know one other person who is vegan n thats my partner lol

I don't know. That might come off the wrong way if you get strangers involved in a personal conflict. I'd be pretty pissed off at my friends if they sent people after me for something they don't agree with(whatever that would be ). But it's great to hear that you've patched things up Nothing better than coming out of a confrontation with a friendship still intact. Atleast you guys can handle it like adults Maybe you could offer to be a vegan cook at the restaurant. Now that's something I'd love to do...

Quote ems.w View Post
    That wud be helpful although i only know one other person who is vegan n thats my partner lol
    Hey, I thought that facebook is about making friends in the wild realms of the Internet?

Go ahead, add Post Punk Kitchen, Gary Francione, Forks over Knives, PETA as 'likes' or 'Friends' if possible, participate in the discussions there, and if you see somebody else commenting that says something that makes sense to you and you agree with, ask him/her to accept you as a friend.

That's how I do it (but I have to add that I suck at Facebook, have about 20 friends so far...).

Post your facebook profile to your veganforum profile, so people can search you out and add you there.

Best regards,
    Andy

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGEEEE EEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!
    If to live we have to be numb, I'd rather know the pain

Is something up, kmacbeth?

wooosah!!
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles