Thread: I need HELP!! lol

Default I need HELP!! lol

Ok, ive decided to make my friend some fairy cakes with twilight (edward) toppers on them and obv i want them to be vegan (even tho she isn't vegan i know shed be really happy with them) but every time i make cakes (iv'e only been vegan just over a month ) they don't turn out right! ..
    I use egg replacer, but they still come out like pancakes. I even use a electric whisk and whisk way! more than recommended lol..

I hope someone can help me with my problem as i REALLY want to make her these shes a massive twilight fan and i know it would make her day.
    Peace, Love and Coffee =)

Default Re: I need HELP!! lol

I just swiped this from google

http://lyvvielimelight.blogspot.com/...iry-cakes.html

It looks like they add vinegar to the baking soda so it reacts and gives it that fluffiness
    We made muffins at home not too long ago. We actually changed the recipes around for each one. Have a little less of this in one, a little more of that in the other. Then you can choose which texture you like the most

There seem to be more recipes for vegan muffins than vegan fairycakes - maybe there's a reason for that? I have made muffins myself and even though I'm a useless baker they turned out OK.

This site has a couple of recipes for muffins (inc. vinegar) and even though I haven't tried it myself I know it's a reliable site: http://www.parsleysoup.co.uk/getreci...d_date_muffins

If you post your recipe we can take a look at it and see if there are any obvious things wrong with it. I generally use self raising flour, and you might want to not use a whisk - a figure 8 stirring motion with a spoon until wet and dry are just mixed is probably better for incorporating air. Also, make sure you preheat the oven to the correct temperature (use an oven thermometer if you think it's not getting high enough, it's amazing how much the oven sensors can be out by!), and get the cakes in as soon as they're in the cases.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Thanks guys i think its guna have to be muffins i make with a 'fairy' twist on them lol i just followed a simple victoria sponge rec and replaced the eggs with egg replacer. (used to work when i used eggs) im sure ill get them right with practice

A victoria sponge recipe does generally rely on the aerating properties of the eggs. There are plenty of vegan cake recipes around which might be better than trying to adapt a non-vegan recipe if you're not used to vegan baking? If you use a muffin recipe with self raising flour you can generally just cut the egg out, because it should only have one in, but I've tried making victoria sponges and they've been flat for me too.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Thanks twinkle i will ....n no im not used to vegan baking at all but im slowly gettin there after many youtube videos and buyin lots of cook books

I use banana and apple sauce as egg replacements.

hows your baking going ems?
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Ever since I got a copy of 'Vegan cupcakes take over the world' I have been able to make perfect fairy cakes. The recipes are gorgeous and so easy to follow.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Yay for 'Vegan Cupcakes take over the world'!! - I love that book!

^agreed! everything turns out amazing. my dad even asked for a copy to be lent so he could make cupcakes for his work cafe place thingy
    can make the mixture into cakes. that really is stating the obvious though, isnt it?
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles