Thread: Employment at an animal sanctuary... hmmmm

Default Employment at an animal sanctuary... hmmmm

First of all this is my first post so hello everyone

A little under a year ago, I had some rough times with my spouse and had to give up a very high paying job and move back in with my mother. I took sometime off the workforce to rebuild my life and get myself and my children the healing time we needed. Now, ready to jump start my career again I am having trouble finding a job that isn't minimum wage. A local animal sanctuary is hiring for help taking care of the animals. They rescue unwanted and abused exotic animals and give them a life long home if they are unable to be released back into the wild safely because of health reasons. I applied for the position and have an interview on Tuesday. The more and more I think about this I start to wonder if I am compromising my vegan beliefs by taking this job. The job duties include feeding the animals such as lions, tigers, and bears (oh my! ... hehe) Well I wonder what they are going to be eating... probably slaughtered animals right??? Now I realize these are carnivorous animals by nature and I wouldnt dream of sacrificing their dietary needs... but is it fair for me to call myself a vegan then feed another animal an animal that I work so hard to protect every day?

At the same time its not like they are a zoo, and I much rather me be in there than some person off the street that just needs the money and has no passion for animals. ACKKKK. I know its a personal decision just looking for some feedback.

Thanks.

Default Re: Employment at an animal sanctuary... hmmmm

The good news is that you'd be helping animals that are rescued. The bad news is that you will likely be feeding them meat. I can relate to how you feel, because I've worked for a pharma company for nearly 8 years and I only became a vegan recently. I really don't want to know about any type of animal testing that my company does, but I can't afford to switch jobs right now for something paying less, as I'm the bread winner in my family. What I do to offset the negative karma in my work is to volunteer my time at a farm animal sanctuary. Let us know what you decide!
    Flesh eating is unprovoked murder. ~ Benjamin Franklin

I used to work for Nestle Ice Cream but I felt really guilty, because no matter how little, I was profiting from the dairy industry which made me a part of it. I actually became vegan several months after obtaining the job but I couldn't quit because I needed the money to move across the country and there would have been no other way for me to earn it I actually brought most of my paper work with me. They had offered me a full time job up from seasonal with a wage increase and benefits, but I declined. If my parents knew about that.... Now I'm going for an interview for housekeeping, but how do I know that none of the cleaners had been tested on animals? Where can you find a job that's 100% vegan friendly?

RubyDuby

I work at a doggy daycare that uses the income to rescue dogs in shelters that are on the euthanasea list. Obviously we feed them regular dog food made from animals. Most of the food for the rescues is donated and people just don't buy vegetarian food. The owner (my boss) is a strict vegetarian and doesn't eat any animal products, but she still believes in feeding her dogs raw food, so that's what we sell. I don't believe feeding dogs meat is necessary. I'm not the boss.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    I work at a doggy daycare that uses the income to rescue dogs in shelters that are on the euthanasea list. Obviously we feed them regular dog food made from animals. Most of the food for the rescues is donated and people just don't buy vegetarian food. The owner (my boss) is a strict vegetarian and doesn't eat any animal products, but she still believes in feeding her dogs raw food, so that's what we sell. I don't believe feeding dogs meat is necessary. I'm not the boss.
    We do that too I wouldn't be able to volunteer at a shelter that believes in destroying un-adoptable animals... When we have room, we take dogs from the SPCA in Calgary I've heard of some people switching their dogs to a vegan diet... Is that healthy for them? I see that humans can live without meat, but are there animals that require it, or could you take any animal and keep them healthy on a plant-based diet?

RubyDuby

Dogs are omnivores. My dogs have been vegan for 6 years without a bad word from the vet. They're completely healthy.

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    Dogs are omnivores. My dogs have been vegan for 6 years without a bad word from the vet. They're completely healthy.
    Really? So what brand of dog food do you use? Is there a vegan North American brand, or do you have to have it shipped?

RubyDuby

I used to make my own, but it got tedious. Now I use Nature's Recipe or Natural Balance. I believe AvoDerm also has a vegetarian recipe?

I don't really know the dog food brands. Even the one we got our dog was different because it was medicated for his sore joints. I'll have to check when I go to Calgary and see if I can find any of it there.

Im kind of in the same situation. I plan on studying Cert II in Vet nursing this year because its the only job I can see myself doing, for now anyway. I just want to have something behind me.. Ill probably end up going back to study something else again.
    Ill most likely be doing some voluntary work at the Lort Smith, which is a big animal hospital in melbourne (aus). I really like this particular one because when Ive gone there before the staff have always been friendly, they offer all sorts of discounts for pensioners and concession card holders, they have different adoption services and they raise awareness of puppy farms on their website etc.
    Even if I dont end up working in a vet hospital, I could always look for other work in shelters and that sort of thing.

I just don't agree with western medicine all the time.. whether it be for humans or animals. We should try more natural remedies before being fed drugs.. and of course they feed the animals normal dog/cat food.