Thread: Very nice lasagna recipe!

Default Very nice lasagna recipe!

I found this recipe on the internet, tried it out and it came out very nicely! I highly recommend it. The only thing is I used twice as much cashew cream and it tasted even better! I also put some vegan cream cheese on top.

Seriously, it was the nicest vegan lasagna I have ever had!

Enjoy:
    Smoky Vegan Spinach Lasagna

Serves three, or two very hungry people

• Cashew Cream Ingredients (I used twice as much)
      • 1 cup cashews + 1 cup boiling water
      • Handful of basil leaves
      • 1/4 tsp salt

• Tomato Sauce Ingredients
      • 1 tbsp olive oil
      • 1 clove garlic, crushed
      • About 550-600g tomatoes, diced
      • Pinch of sugar
      • Pinch of salt

• Filling Ingredients
      • 1 large onion (or two small), diced
      • 1 cup (about 100g) vegan mince (“ground beef”)
      • 1-2 tbsp vegan margarine
      • 4 cloves garlic, crushed
      • 450g fresh spinach
      • 1 small block extra firm smoked tofu, crumbled
      • Vegan lasagne noodles for 3 layers

• Directions/Method
      1. First preheat the oven to 200 celcius before moving on to the cashew cream. In a medium bowl, combine the boiling water with the cashews and set aside for at least 20 minutes while you prepare the lasagne filling and red sauce.
      2. Add the margarine to a frying pan until melted. Add the onion and fake minced beef until just browned. Stir in the garlic and cook another minute until fragrant. This doesn’t have to be completely cooked as it will cook further in the oven.
      3. In a large saucepan add 1 tablespoon of water along with the spinach (no, you don’t need more water than this) and cook over a meium-high heat until the spinach begins to wilt. Add the spinach in handfuls as it cooks down until it’s all cooked. Drain and toss in with the mince mix above.
      4. For the red sauce simply fry, on medium heat, the garlic in a tablespoon of olive oil for about 30-60 seconds. Don’t let the garlic brown because it will ruin the flavour of the sauce. Stir in the tomatoes (I prefer them to be skinned, but this isn’t mandatory) along with a pinch of salt and sugar and allow to cook a further 5-10 minutes.
      5. Finish the cashew cream by putting the cashews and their soaking water into a high-powered blender or small food processor. Add the basil leaves and 1/4 teaspoon of salt before blending to a smooth and creamy sauce.
      6. Don’t forget the pre-cook the lasagne noodles if needed. Follow the directions on the packet (if it’s homemade pasta my personal preference is to dunk in boiling water for 30 seconds first).
      7. To put the dish together put a few tablespoons of the red sauce on the bottom of a 10″ x 7″ (-ish) rectangular baking dish. Place one layer of noodles on the sauce and top with half of the spinach and mince mixture, along with a handful of crumbled tofu. Pour 1/2 of the cashew cream over this as well as several tablespoons of red sauce before adding a second layer of noodles. Add the other half of the mince and the rest of the tofu crumbles. Pour another 1/2 of the cashew cream and a few tablespoons of red sauce on top before adding your third layer of noodles. Top the third layer of noodles with the rest of the tomato-based sauce.
      8. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until browned lightly around the edges. You may need to reduce times for fan/convection ovens.

Source: http://www.messyvegetariancook.com/2...inach-lasagne/

Default Re: Very nice lasagna recipe!

Thanks, must try that! Cashew cream sounds delicious. I might do it with seasoned lentils instead of fake mince as I'm not a big fan of the mince, but I guess that should still work?

Glad they remind you to cook the pasta, would hate to think of someone trying to assemble it without! Although I think at one time you could get "instant" lasagne that didn't need precooking, come to think of it.

I was wondering why it is called smokey? I shall try it - I like the sound of it. Thanks for posting.
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

Ah I just spotted that the tofu is smoked - never seen that before.... sorry for being durrr!

We just tried it and it is GREAT! I am eating it now, and just wanted to post how good it actually is.

Thanks for the recipe Bowie-it sounds delicious. Can I just ask- what are lasagne noodles? Is it the dried lasagne sheets?

Looking forward to having a bash at making this.

That's right! Just the usual lasagna sheets

And it'`s totally worth it, so delicious!

Thanks for that Bowie. Much appreciated

Made this and I found the cashew creamy stuff overwhelmed it so I will try again and just use the one cup of cashews. Thanks for the recipe.

that sounds really good. i darent eat that many cashew nuts!

mori nu silken tofu blitzed up with a bag of wilted spinach seasoning and yeast flakes and diluted with unsweetened soya milk makes a pretty good 'white sauce' too.
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles