Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do some people not agree (physically) with a vegan diet?

Default Do some people not agree (physically) with a vegan diet?

Yesterday I was at the organic grocer, when a man, around 50-55 years came up to me and told me I was too thin. After telling me to start eating better, he asked me if I was a vegetarian. I said yes (I am actually vegan but I couldn't be stuffed telling him that). He then told me that he had been a vegetarian for 19 years and it caused him lots of problems. Do you think that this was because he was probably eating nothing but vegetarian pizza and hotdogs, or do some people not agree (physically) with the diet? Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

He probably lived on junk or didn't bother to gather enough knowledge about how a well balanced vegetarian diet should look like. I was a vegetarian for most of my life- a very unhealthy one too. I used to smoke and didn't know much about nutrition in general. My low energy and depression had nothing to do with me being a vegetarian. The junk food living was the problem. I wish somebody had educated me early on how to be a veggie. Nobody seemed to have a clue, really, and you end up eating the worst of the worst. As a vegan I would have died of malnutrition!
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

I would've told the silly old bastard to mind his own business. But that's me

Vegetarianism probably didn't agree with him as he was probably filling his gullet with an overabundance of cheese and milk

What's with some people! I mean honestly - I could never go up to some one and say "excuse me......you're too thin".

You should've told him you had worms

LOL Roxy - Imagine going up to a fat person and saying - excuse me - you are too fat. Why is that rude, and telling people that they are thin isn't? Society is pathetic.

I think it was just he was vegetarian in the 70s, when people didn't know much about nutrition and yea, it probably did make him sick on it.

Fortunately, this isn't the 70s and we have more information now about healthy veganism than his generation could ever dream of having, so vegetarians (and even vegans ) can have healthy diets without the problems that haunted earlier vegos.

Don't let it shake you.

Quote Banana
    LOL Roxy - Imagine going up to a fat person and saying - excuse me - you are too fat. Why is that rude, and telling people that they are thin isn't? Society is pathetic.
    I agree! I hate that.

You should have told him you were recouperating from some sort of awful disease.

My boss said he thought i must be vegetarain/vegan because i am so pale. i have red hair and freckles and am of scottish/german background. I will never tan. I asked him if he thought eating meat has something to do with tanning and he said yes...

I tried to explain the concept of melatonin but he didn't get it.

Quote Wildflower
    I asked him if he thought eating meat has something to do with tanning and he said yes...

LOLOLOL!!! ..... Some people eh! Tsk!

Banana, you're beautiful - don't let anyone tell you anything otherwise.

I can't believe how rude some people can be. as if it was any of his business anyway. You're right sometimes society sure is pathetic. What gives anyone the right to make such comments. I've had similar stuff said to me, and I often reply that it is because I was born 'graceful'....

Besides I'm a bit of a shorty, with a size 4 shoe (UK size)....That's my excuse anyway.

Thanx guys - I feel much better. It just kind of creeped me out. If he thinks it is his business to promote anti-vegetarianism (let alone veganism) then he must have gotten terribly sick. But I take care of myself, and I don't need dead cows or calf's food to make me healthy

Quote Banana
    You're definitely right Banana, I think it's horrible when any stranger comments on someone's appearance. It's sorta different if a very close-family person ask out of concern for one's appearance (if it is something changeable like weight) but strangers or acquaintances have no place making comments. You're beautiful, you're healthy, you're vegan so who gives a fig what this guy has to say .

I would never go up to a perfect stranger and tell them I thought their way of eating was unhealthy. It is really none of my business. If it was a friend and I was concerned I would have a casual chat with them before making an assumption. I would hope they would do the same for myself if they were concerned about me. I have had a few who have chatted with me when I expressed an interest in increasing my raw food intake to 100%. I did not have a problem with that I gave them a lot of information.

You can have unhealthy eating habits regardless of how you eat. I have seen, in the past, with some of my veggie friends/acquaintances. Some of them were so concerned with saving the lives of animals that they forgot to make wise choices in regards to their nutritional intake.

It might take some people longer to transition to a Vegetarian diet depending on their eating habits before making the switch. Changes can be very hard for people. One of the reasons people might fail at becoming vegetarian is insufficient knowledge about nutrition. When they become sick some might blame it on being vegetarian and not look into what they are eating.

Maybe he was genuinely concerned and had just had a few drinks before hand. Maybe he felt fatherly toward you.

I used to get pretty steamed when I was a skinny teenager and people would say I was skinny. I tried so hard to gain weight. Who would have thought that I would easily put on weight as a vegan?

Being thin doesn't mean you're unhealthy. How can you really describe "too thin?" Everyone is different and has different body types. It has nothing to do with being vegan... I get that, too. At work, people always say I am so skinny and pale because I don't eat meat.. and that I get sick because of it.

I had a COLD... everyone gets colds!!!! And I am thin, who cares?! People who eat meat are thin, too.. plus it's winter. who has a tan in winter?!

It's just that since veganism is DIFFERENT people blame it for various problems. It's ridiculous and it stems from ignorance... but you know what, who cares... let them be ignorant... and even rude, like in your case bananas (if he was in fact being rude, who knows what he had in mind right?! you can never tell with people ) .... most people dont know as much about it because they arent involved.

proper nutrition is all that matters...vegan or meat eater.
    :p In life & love there are no impossibilities...

in addition, to your original question, i think being vegan is a better diet, if properly researched, than a regular carnivore diet.... meat and dairy is NOT healthy by any means.
    :p In life & love there are no impossibilities...

That would have really weirded me out too. He was probably feeling guilty because he wasn't a vegetarian any more. One of my friends who used to be a vegetarian or pescoterian has a problem with me being a vegan. She likes to talk about what cavemen ate. Some people...

Andie that makes so much sense - they really feel the need to justify why they don't not eat meat/dairy (anymore) and need to preach to the world. I should have told him to go check his arteries!

People jump to conclucsions. Even if your a vegan you can still eat terribly unhealthy things. Oh and Andie ask you friend what they think cavemen ate before they picked up a club and killed an animal.
    "Its bad karma to fuck with the stoned"- Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas Comentary (found on criterion collection)

Quote Banana
    Andie that makes so much sense - they really feel the need to justify why they don't not eat meat/dairy (anymore) and need to preach to the world. I should have told him to go check his arteries!
    this is probably my biggest problem when people ask me about veganism. I'm never preachy, I mostly just answer questions that people ask, but they seem to want to attack me personally to affirm their own choices and to keep doing what they want anyway. They project their discomfort on to me, I think.

Default Re: Do some people not agree (physically) with a vegan diet?

Quote Wildflower View Post
    I agree! I hate that.

You should have told him you were recouperating from some sort of awful disease.

My boss said he thought i must be vegetarain/vegan because i am so pale. i have red hair and freckles and am of scottish/german background. I will never tan. I asked him if he thought eating meat has something to do with tanning and he said yes...

Wow, that is how I got fired from my first job!
    My boss says to me "You're so pale because you are vegetarian." I told him "You're Italian and I'm German, that is why I look pale to you."
    To which he replied, rather victoriosuly "German huh? You related to Hitler?"
    "No! Being as Hitler is from Austria!"
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

I imagine some people would have a hard time with a vegan diet, since it is so high in fiber and soy protein. I know a few people who seem (or claim) to have trouble with too much soy intake, and I have had some troubles with too much fiber..

Since this man accosted you out of the bue, it's hard to decide what his motive might have been, but I have come across a certain type of omni who, when diet starts being discussed, claims that they were once veggie/vegan and how ill it made them, as a way of attempting to validate their argument. I don't believe them they are just argument lovers who can't stand not being right.
    I do what I can and that's better than doing nothing

Quote Camyle26 View Post
    people always say I am so skinny and pale because I don't eat meat and that I get sick because of it.

I had a COLD... everyone gets colds!!!! And I am thin, who cares?! People who eat meat are thin, too.. plus it's winter. who has a tan in winter?!
    You're so right Camyle - people always seem surprised when I say I'm vegan, and tell me that vegans are supposed to look undernourished. To be honest, I did go through a phase when I was seriously underweight, mainly because of depression. But I'm a bit bigger these days. I try really hard now to keep up my weight because I don't want to perpetuate the myth that vegans are always skinny... personally, I really don't give a damn what I look like but I don't want to give people an excuse to eat animals. So many folks will try to justify eating meat by arguing that you can't stay healthy otherwise.

Actually, I think the reasons that people often get sick when they become vegetarian is because they eat more dairy. I'm not a doctor, but I've read somewhere that the calcium in milk interferes with the body's ability to absorb iron.

The reason I'm vegan is because I care about the suffering of animals. It has nothing to do with the supposed health benefits - nutrition is such a controversial subject and I don't pretend to know whether being vegan is necessarily always more healthy than occasionally eating a small piece of fish. That said, I can say what I see around me. Here in Australia, almost everyone eats meat and dairy, and lots of it, yet three quarters of the population are overweight or obese (second only to America, I think). As a population, we have astronomical rates of heart disease, diabetes, cancer and osteoperosis. Something is seriously wrong here...

So, some vegans are healthy, some vegans are not so healthy. Some omnis are very healthy, but plenty of them are obviously very sick - in mind and body. Like I said, I don't really care whether or not I can run a marathon anymore (though I could when I was 18). But I try to look after myself, if only to put an end to stupid comments like stickydate had to deal with.

Quote Campbell View Post

So, some vegans are healthy, some vegans are not so healthy. Some omnis are very healthy, but plenty of them are obviously very sick - in mind and body. Like I said, I don't really care whether or not I can run a marathon anymore (though I could when I was 18). But I try to look after myself, if only to put an end to stupid comments like stickydate had to deal with.
    So true Campbell. It's all down to how you take care of yourself I feel and look more healthy now since going vegan, but I really try to make sure that Im eating the right balance of foods.

I think balance is a key word not only in nutrition but life in general. There is so much food to choose from, it is really very easy to get a balanced diet. I feel great now. At first i was tired but after a careful review of my diet i believe it was because i wasn't eating enough. Now, i feel better than ever!

As far as the question: Do some people not agree (physically) with a vegan diet?

I am sure they don't, but the beauty of it, is that they don't have to and it can't affect you at all unless you let it.

-Ann

This is my third attempt at being vegan and I know it will stick this time because I want it to and I'm doing everything right (as right as I know).

Saturday, however, is my vegan junkfood day. I'll treat myself to soy chips, Amy's frozen dinners, Rice Dream ... then Sunday it's back to high raw whole foods

Like Campbell, though, I'm doing this more for the animals than my health.

RubyDuby

Quote paragonx View Post
    As far as the question: Do some people not agree (physically) with a vegan diet?

I am sure they don't, but the beauty of it, is that they don't have to and it can't affect you at all unless you let it.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

I think that a vegan diet is generally more agreeable to more people than a omnivorous diet (as interpreted by dominant society in the Global North).

Now, a particular diet might can certainly be unagreeable to a particular person... but the fact that the diet is vegan isn't the problem. It is that person's particular interpretation and willingness to make it work.

The unfortunate thing about a vegan diet is that it is not often passed down from generation to generation through years of habit building. It is often reinvented everytime a new person becomes a vegan. That means that there even though being vegan for any particular digestive tract is quite easy, unless you are used to thinking outside the box, the learning of the ins and outs can be tricky. The problem isn't the diet, but it is the learning and trying.

Anyone can be healthy on vegetables and grains. It just goign to take a bit of "unlearning" and "relearning", and that sometimes isnt' agreeable to people.
    context is everything

Quote RubyDuby View Post

Does that statement confuse you?

RubyDuby

I guess I'm not sure what you mean.

Heres the original post:
    Quote stickydate View Post
    Yesterday I was at the organic grocer, when a man, around 50-55 years came up to me and told me I was too thin. After telling me to start eating better, he asked me if I was a vegetarian. I said yes (I am actually vegan but I couldn't be stuffed telling him that). He then told me that he had been a vegetarian for 19 years and it caused him lots of problems. Do you think that this was because he was probably eating nothing but vegetarian pizza and hotdogs, or do some people not agree (physically) with the diet? Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    I guess I'm not sure what you mean.

Heres the original post:
    I just meant that all people are not going to agree with this diet. But what other people think does not matter if you don't let them get into your head.

Boy i don't know how else to word it.

Some people think that a vegan diet is physically unhealthy. When people say that i think, it is because they are ignorant of it. My point is, is that as long as you are happy and healthy it doesn't matter what others think.

Do my ramblings make any sense?

Ann

A lot of people like to complain about their health, but when I join in I tend to get
    "You are lacking in protein."
    "Are you sure you aren't missing something in your diet?"
    I like to respond with the same.
    "Congenital heart defect? You should probably drink more cows milk."

Only to those who say it to me of course.

It sucks being born with certain deformities.
    I'm skinny fat (can't put on muscle but relatively thin) have joint problems, allergies, and I'm generally somewhat weird, anxious and forgetful.
    It annoys me that I'm the only vegan people know.
    Of course, everyone thinks I'm thin because I'm vegan.
    Its like that yogurt commercial where the woman wants her pants taken in.
    "Yeah, its all the rice dream, almond buter, and maple syrup."

Quote Haniska View Post
    Its like that yogurt commercial where the woman wants her pants taken in.
    "Yeah, its all the rice dream, almond buter, and maple syrup."
    You mean you want them taken out. lol
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Quote Fuhzy View Post
    I imagine some people would have a hard time with a vegan diet, since it is so high in fiber and soy protein. I know a few people who seem (or claim) to have trouble with too much soy intake, and I have had some troubles with too much fiber..

I can imagine that also. I had terrible gas until I discovered it was soy. Now I only eat tofu and that is somewhat occassional.
    I also have had problems adjusting to the fiber. I think it depends on what an individual believes is the proper vegan diet, how far that was from their previous diet, and how far that is from a truly proper diet.
    Becoming vegan I would think would also awaken you to food allergies such as wheat, nuts, beans etc.

Quote paragonx View Post
    I just meant that all people are not going to agree with this diet. But what other people think does not matter if you don't let them get into your head.

Boy i don't know how else to word it.

Some people think that a vegan diet is physically unhealthy. When people say that i think, it is because they are ignorant of it. My point is, is that as long as you are happy and healthy it doesn't matter what others think.

Do my ramblings make any sense?

Ann
    I think I understand why Ruby was confused

I think the orginal question is asking if some people actually have physical disagreements with a vegan diet (for example, digestive problems, iron levels, vitamin deficiencies) ect.

Not so much with weather the agree with it being right or wrong.

YES! Miss Bettie.

Red face Re: Do some people not agree (physically) with a vegan diet?

Quote Roxy View Post
    I think I understand why Ruby was confused

I think the orginal question is asking if some people actually have physical disagreements with a vegan diet (for example, digestive problems, iron levels, vitamin deficiencies) ect.

Not so much with weather the agree with it being right or wrong.
    Oh i see - I totally misunderstood the question.

Sorry

RubyDuby

its ok. i thought i missed something.

thanks Roxy

Quote paragonx View Post
    Oh i see - I totally misunderstood the question.

Sorry
    Hehe no problem - sounds like there was confusion all round

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    its ok. i thought i missed something.

thanks Roxy

no problemo

Yes, I think that a vegan diet can 'disagree' with someone at first because if they switch from eating alot of dairy, junk, and meat to a healthy diet, then sometimes your body goes through a detox phase and this can be rather unpleasant. I had this happen to me when I became vegetarian and then happen again when I became vegan. For the first couple of weeks I felt dizzy, had headaches, was alway hungry, and I stinky underarms and breath. But after a couple weeks it passed and I felt so much better! My blood sugar levels became more normal, too, which is good because I am diabetic.
    I'm sure there are also plenty of people who go vegan and start eating veggie meats but don't realize they are allergic to soy and/or wheat.
    And if you go from getting hardly any fiber in your diet to the healthy recommended amount too quickly, it will probably cause tummy troubles.
    Bottom line, veganism is good for your health, even if it's difficult at first. I've never heard of any legitimate studies that state that some people can be vegans and others can't. But if anyone else has, I would love for you to share it.

EllaGuru

Quote angelamc View Post
    I've never heard of any legitimate studies that state that some people can be vegans and others can't. But if anyone else has, I would love for you to share it.
    Dr Michael Klaper, who is vegan himself, is carrying out a study. He does acknowledge that there is 'failure to thrive' in some people who eat a vegan diet. If it were anyone else saying this I would be sceptical but Dr Klaper is a commited vegan and has no axe to grind vegan study . This study has been going on for some time I think and I don't know when the findings will be published.

People metabolize foods differently, some people don't have the gene to enable them to tolerate milk protein and some have for example, so I think it's feasable that some are unable to get all they need from plant sources because they may not metabolize plant protein in the same way as someone who feels well and thrives on a vegan diet and so they need animal protein.

EllaGuru

Just remembered something else - some years ago now (possibly ten or more, I can't quite remember) a study was conducted that didn't show vegans in a very good light. It studied mortality rates of vegans, ovo-lacto vegetarians, pescetarians, moderate meat eaters and heavy meat eaters. Vegetarians and pescetarians had the longest life expectancy followed by moderate meat eaters, then vegans and, as we'd expect, heavy meat eaters fared the worst. The surprise was that vegans did so badly. This study was on the Vegan Society website for some time but isn't there now, and if I remember rightly it was published in the Vegan magazine. Unfortunately I don't have a link for it and I've tried googling for it with no luck. If people are interested I suggest that you contact the Vegan Society and they may be able to shed more light on it.

I think the Vegan Society recomended at the time that people ensure that they take adequate amounts of B12 in their diet either from supplements or fortified foods as it was thought that raised homocysteine levels in some people was causing heart problems and leading to higher death rates in vegans than should be expected.
    Last edited by EllaGuru; Nov 15th, 2007 at 11:44 AM. Reason: added a bit

I think that mortality data is discussed in "Plant-Based Nutrition and Health" which the Vegan Society publishes.

I had a Dr tell me "some ppl just cannot be vegan and healthy" and said it was something to do with blood types. I had someone else tell me my blood time, is not suitable blah blah blah.

I am happy and healthy and even when ppl go on about how vegans aren't helathy they usually admit I looking v. healthy and I am not stick thin either, very easy to gain weight being a vegan :P

Imagine going up to a fat person and saying - excuse me - you are too fat.
    As a fat person (I've shed 40 kilos and am still fat), this happens on a *very* regular basis. Snide comments from strangers, yelling out of car windows, well-meaning friends and collegues and downright nasty people. Being fat is a real eye-opener.

I remember reading those statistics and wondering what all that was about.
    Did the vegans die from heart disease?

I can't imagine that someone would randomly walk up to you to comment on being fat! That's insane! What happened to manners and common decency? Sorry you have to deal with that. It's sooo unacceptable!!
    Oh, and thanks to the poster who put up the info about the doctor who did studies on vegan diets not being suitable for certain people. I had never seen that before.

I can't believe any well nurished vegan would live a shorter life than someone who eats anything from a cow.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

When i went vegan i was getting dizzy spells and faint feeling. I believe now this is due to processed foods that have a high glycemic index. I tend to get low blood sugars anyway. When i was eating cheese (and before going vege meat), these things have low glycemic index, being fat and protein and they will make a meal have a lower glycemic index if they are in them. So i could eat crap and get away with it because the cheese or meat was lowing the glycemic index.

take away the cheese and meat and all of a sudden the crap i am eating is high glycemic index and i start feeling like crap from blood sugar getting to low.

um anyway i tried eating more whole foods and it helps. my GP said to eat whole foods also.

thats my theory on why i felt a bit crap when becoming vegan. I feel OK now, as long as i dont eat rubbish.