Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Do some people not agree (physically) with a vegan diet?

RubyDuby

Default Re: Do some people not agree (physically) with a vegan diet?

As others have said, I can't imagine, with all the food options out there, that somebody could be intolerant to not eating animal products.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

My parents seem to have a really hard time with me being vegan. I have continuosly assured them that a vegan diet is healthy as long as I'm careful about it. I've done my research; I know what to eat.
    Still, every now and then I get into arguments with them. My dad streses that I should be lacto-ovo vegetarian and not vegan. I don't know why he just doesn't understand..
    They also think that I'm doing it to lose weight, which is a load of crap.
    Yes, I am vegan for the health benefits, but that's only a small part of it. I'm in it for the ethics.
    I just wish they'd understand or at least get off my case.
    It's very frustrating.
    The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

I can't imagine that someone would randomly walk up to you to comment on being fat!
    Well it doesn't happen now I've lost 75% of the weight but prior to that, to receive comments (either well-meaning or degrading) once every couple of weeks was not uncommon. In the supermarket, crossing the road, anywhere.

Then there are all the looks, whispers and people looking across the room when you are talking to them at social situations to make an escape.

It really annoys me when vegans and vegan publications claim that we should be vegan to avoid obesity and deride fat Westerners and the like. I haven't eaten meat since I was 12 and reached my highest ever weight as a vegan. I didn't lose the weight through veganism but by visiting a psychologist and joining a gym.

It's really interesting how everyone's body can react differently to a vegan diet. I personally lost weight when I went vegan but I have a very high metabolism anyway. I appreciate your post on how people would whisper and say things about you because I think it's something that we should all be aware of. People should be polite and not think that just because they mean well, their actions or words aren't hurtful. Congratulations on losing all the weight, insubordination! Keep up the good work!

it is possible to feel worse on a healthy vegan diet...
    I search the rosacea forum for answers to my skin problem (middle-age has its surprises) and find articles about triggers for many folks:

histamine stimulating veg (peas zuchini etc)
    the whole nightshade family (potato aubergine tomato)
    citrus
    high acid fruit (berries)

Like someone said "greasy cheeseburger and fries, no problem, but just a bowl of steamed veg and salad and I'm all broken out"

One man's meat is another's poison. Everyone can be healthy on a vegan diet, just not the same vegan diet
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

Very informative post, Pat. I did not know that certain vegetables stimulated histamine. Weird...

Quote stickydate View Post
    LOL Roxy - Imagine going up to a fat person and saying - excuse me - you are too fat. Why is that rude, and telling people that they are thin isn't?
    Agreed. I am absolutely sick of the way people talk around being fat, but assume the thin have some kind of eating disorder. Being obese is also a disorder, and it kills much more often.

I posted about this on my blog recently, and got no end of crap for it. The comments from regular readers were very supportive, but the emails I received privately ranged from concerned to downright offended.

http://linusfurious.blogspot.com/200...uld-never.html

I love that blog Linus! Best thing I read in a long time. *applaudes*

Thanks! My blog is going to focus on veganism a lot in the near future, as I am making the shift from vegetarian to vegan. Stop by anytime

Terrific! Thanks Linus! I just went vegan two months ago after being vegetarian for 21 years, so your blog will keep me inspired.

I feel so great, I wish I made the switch sooner, but better late than never. Now my biggest challenge is replacing all my winter clothes with non-cruelty versions of the product. I got man-made material boots over the weekend and they're really cute. You can still be stylish and cruelty free.

I've also used cruelty free beauty products since 1996, so that's already embedded in my brain

cherrywisp

I liked the blog!

And personally I think people can have unhealthy vegan diets, but any other diet is probably more unhealthy because those people will be eating dairy products and/or meat in addition to any junk food they're eating.

Obviously cutting out junk from your vegan diet is the best way to go. I haven't had ANY junk food in a couple of weeks and ironically perusing the boards and finding people talking about soy ice cream is making me want some You bad influences!

That said, obviously junky food isn't healthy but I personally don't think eating dairy or meat is necessary, or healthy, for anyone.

And as far as the whole weight issue goes, I would never ever ever comment on anyone's weight unless they brought it up first. When I was younger one of my best friends was adopted, and her birth mother was addicted to heroine throughout her pregnancy. As a result my friend was extremely thin, naturally. Clearly this is an extreme example, but you never know why someone may be "too" thin or "too" big.

And even if you do know why they're too thin or too big, and it's because of their diet, who are you to tell someone what to eat? Seriously. I would never get preachy on anyone, but if they asked me advice on what I think they should do, I'd tell them to go vegan. Naturally that comes across as being preachy anyway, but what can you do. hahah.

Unfortunately, we (vegetarians and vegans) have a reputation for being preachy...

As I said on my blog, I think honesty is the best option. If asked, I try to give my honest opinion in a positive way... which can still come across as tactless, but I try to be kind.