Thread: Cuba, vegan style?

Default Cuba, vegan style?

Has anyone been to Cuba? I found one old thread on the subject, but I'm wondering if anyone's been there in the past few years, and could share what sort of culinary experiences they had?

We're on our way in January, and have read very mixed reviews about the ease of veganism in Cuba.

Default Re: Cuba, vegan style?

An omnivorous friend of mine went recently and when I asked her about it she said she thought I would have had a hard time finding vegan food in the places they ate in on the tour they were on. However of course if I did go on a tour I would have a go at them beforehand and try and get them to provide something. I would in any case take a few provisions as well to be on the safe side!

I guess you've googled "vegan cuba" have you? A couple of interesting things come up.

I would love to hear how you get on - I'd really like to go there sometime, food or no food

They do a lot of rice and beans!

I've just finished a book: The Island That Dared: Journeys in Cuba by Dervla Murphy.

If you are interested in Cuba at all (and fed up with the highly distorted imperialist slant driven by America) then this is a must-read book.

Dervla, from Waterford, has travelled to many trouble spots around the world. She spent a long time in Cuba, over the course of three visits, walking and talking mainly. She's not vegan but has got an honest handle on the world. Her lucid writing about Cuba's life on the ground over the last couple of decades is refreshing in its honesty - she talks about the wonderful people, their love for their country and culture and has a critical eye on Castroism as well as an even more critical eye on the plutocratic forces which will overwhelm a spirited nation.

Gosh, that sounds like a review. Do read it before you go, refinnej.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Thanks for the tip. I have Googled. We're going to be in Havana only probably, since we're just there for a few days, so hopefully we will be ok. I'll have to check out that book!