Thread: Anyone know a good cookie dough recipe for shaping cookies with children?

Default Anyone know a good cookie dough recipe for shaping cookies with children?

I love making cookies with my little girl (she's 3 years now), but have difficulty finding a good recipe for cookies where the cookie dough is pliable enough for her to shape cookies without it crumbling into lots of little bits. Does anyone know a nice cookie recipe where the structure of the cookie dough holds together well?

Normally I use a simple sand dough cookie recipe, but as the name implies the structure is not very suitable for shaping. I sometimes add a bit of extra margarine which makes the whole things bit fattier and stickier, but so far haven't been able to find anything suitable enough.

I love to hear from anyone with experience with cooking or baking with little kids and on that note what other foods do you involve your (little) children in? Although maybe the last question would be more suited for another thread.. would definately love advice on a good cookie dough recipe though!!

Default Re: Anyone know a good cookie dough recipe for shaping cookies with children?

I see this was posted a white ago, but whatever. These gingerbread cookies are great. Although I guess they're technically Christmas cookies , I bake them year round, so whatever
    http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=35143.0
    Plus I suppose you can always mess around with the recipe to take the spices out and make chocolate chip cookies or sugar cookies... I'll have to experiment with that! I'll try to post back here if I end up doing it

Default Re: Anyone know a good cookie dough recipe for shaping cookies with children?

Thanks for the link! I've been experimenting myself as well. I've always used typical sanddough recipes for cookies and cake shells as well, so basically butter, flour and sugar. Recently I've been adding nondairy milks to the mix and it makes a better dough. I love adding ricemilk, it has such a nice flavour, I'm having a bit of a thing for it at the moment. I just checked out the link and it looks like they're using the same sort of basic recipe. I'm definately going to give this one a try because I love spicy biscuits. I don't have allspice, but I think I'm going to use freshly ground cardamom instead. I like your idea as well making a chocolate chip cookie in, certainly nothing wrong with that!

Sparkrecipes.com has a graham cookie recipe that is pretty simple and very low calorie. I use this to make cookies year round. it asks to make the cookies into rectangles as you would for a graham cracker...but just add whatever goodies and mold them as you would. Thats what i do! i don't use any sort of margarine or any of that in my cooking or baking.
    Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace (Schweitzer, 1952)