Thread: Mozzarella

Default Mozzarella

I am planing on baking a pizza for my family New Year's dinner but I have a problem.
    Where I live there are no cheese substitutes of any kind; so I searched for recipes to make my own mozzarella, but they ask for stuff that I cannot get here such as: agar powder, nutritional yeast, arrowroot, soja yoghurt, etc.
    Basically no dairy, egg or butter substitutes are sold here, the only thing I can acquire here is tofu.
    I am trying to impress my family with amazing vegan recipes because only I am vegan and my brother is vegetarian (he's halfway through the transition to becoming vegan).
    What I came here to ask is for a recipe for mozzarella (if anybody knows one) that doesn't require these ingredients. Or a recipe for a delicious cheese-less pizza.
    Please help.

Default Re: Mozzarella

I wouldn't try to fake a cheese substitute unless you're very confident you've got a good recipe and all the right ingredients. In your situation, I would either go cheese free or swap to a different recipe altogether. Some omnis are a bit funny about eating pizza without cheese so it might not make a good impression on them, no matter how delicious it tastes.

Pizza toppings that I think work well are: red onion, garlic, artichokes and sliced black olives (based on a Pizza Express restaurant pizza we have here called Campo de Fiori) or a mix of 'posh' mushrooms with some white onion.

You could also consider trying some of the recipes on this site: http://www.parsleysoup.co.uk/ (written by a member on here)

Good luck whatever you do, and I hope they are all very impressed with your delicious vegan cooking!

Hello Oveeja. Italian pizzas don't always have cheese on so in the circumstances I would probably go for a cheeseless one. If you put garlic, herbs and so on in the tomato sauce and plenty of nice vegetables on top I doubt if anyone will miss the cheese. (ETA, sorry, was posting at the same time as Est - didn't mean to contradict!)

If you and your family like onions, there's pissaladiere, a French type of pizza with an onion topping. I haven't tried this recipe but it gives you the general idea http://thebloomingplatter.blogspot.c...saladiere.html I have made something similar with a pizza base rather than pastry.

Hee hee, it's ok harpy... I was coming at it from a UK perspective and you're right that cheese isn't used on pizza everywhere. It might be fine after all

You're right, though, that it does depend somewhat on what people are expecting. If Oveeja's relatives are among those who think pizza isn't pizza without cheese, perhaps Oveeja could just make up a new name for it...a "veezza"?

Thank you est and harpy for the recommendations and dissuasions. I am going to try a cheese-less pizza and also thank you for the pages.

Good luck Oveeja - please let us know how it goes!

friendly fri

Simply put , the neatest bit of mozz i ever ate is vegerella, i was made a vegerella panini yesterday in a cafe and it was excellent.
    :D :)