Thread: Could I use this as a juice feast?

Michaelene

Default Could I use this as a juice feast?

I have a dietary dilemma. This year not only do I want to get back on track eating vegetarian, but I'd also like to go vegan. I'm working towards eventually going completely raw for a while, too. I've heard so many good things about it.

Main problem though is I don't have the proper equipment for a raw lifestyle. My blender/food processor really sucks bad. It's noisy and it has very little power. It doesn't do a good job of making smoothies at all. And, I don't have a dehydrator at all. You need a job for those things and of course, I'm not working again. Trying to at least find something part-time but even that is hard since I don't want to have to work more than 4-6 hours on my feet.

My "kick-start" to all this would optimally be a juice feast, but again, no proper equipment. I have a Jack Lelane juicer, but all the pulp is such a waste. If I had the dehydrator, I could use the pulp in that to make crackers or something. Till then, it would be a wasteful ambition to go on a juice feast. I just can't justify throwing away all that nutritious pulp product.

I think I might have come up with a solution! I was thinking of making this cabbage soup, but then adding a twist at the end hehe.

* 6 large green onions (1 bunch)
    * 2 green bell peppers
    * 1 or 2 cans of tomatoes (14.5 ounce size, diced or whole)
    * 1 bunch celery, sliced
    * 1 head cabbage, chopped
    * 1 package (Lipton) onion soup mix
    * 2-3 cubes vegetable bouillon
    * 6 cups water
    * Season to taste with salt, pepper, parsley, curry, garlic powder, etc.*
    * Don't forget a little cayenne!
    * 1 Bag of spinach leaves or 1 bunch of kale (de-stemmed) or whatever dark leafy green is on sale or in season.

Preparation:
    Simmer or slow cook all until soup is done. *If slow cooking, add seasonings about an hour before done. Eat all the soup you want, whenever you want. (here's my twist) Let cool till it's about 110-116 degrees then throw in a bag of fresh spinach/greens and stir till nicely wilted. Put it all in a blender and drink throughout the day.

What do you think? Could I use this as a juice feast? There's be no pulp waste, I'd still be getting a bunch of raw greens and I don't have to worry about cost because most of this stuff is pretty inexpensive. My goal is to try and stay under $5 a day. I figure a batch of soup would last for 2 days possibly 3.

leedsveg

Default Re: Dietary Dilemma

Hi Michaelene and welcome to the forum.

Seems nutritious to me but how will it taste? Have you already tried making this? You will of course need to have some variety in your diet but as I'm the worlds worst cook, other members, also having more nutritional knowledge would be better advising you.
    Good wishes for what you're doing

Leedsveg

Sorry to disappoint you, but if you cook your soup it will not be raw... therefore you are not getting raw greens.

From your post it doesn't seem you are even vegetarian...going from omnivore to raw in a single step is very drastic, in my opinion, although everyone is different.
    I would suggest going veggie/vegan first, then transitioning to raw. For me going raw was very difficult, as it requires a very different mindset compared to being just veggie or vegan.

That said, I don't think you necessarily need expensive equipment to go raw. A hand blender (which you should be able to get for $10-20 dollars) should do you OK - mine makes pretty good smoothies
    And I have a dehydrator but TBH I've barely used it.

I would definitely advise getting some good cookbooks Good luck!

Michaelene

Actually, I've been vegetarian for 9 months, I slipped for a month and a half but I'm back on the bandwagon. I eat only veg now. But I need to really get a kick-start to get myself going. I've been watching a lot of raw tv shows and been doing a lot of reading. I still would like to do a fast of some sort, even if it's not completely raw at first. That's why I thought maybe the soup would work for a fast of maybe a few days just to boost me into a mind-set.

Sorry for misinterpreting the fact you were already veggie

There's nothing wrong with the soup you suggested - just be aware it's not raw. If you do decide you want to go down the raw path, there are loads of recipes out there, so decide how you want to start out and go for it!
    Bear in mind the purpose of what you're doing though, as there are recipes for just about everything... fasting juices, energising smoothies, detox juices... Lots of soups too - you can even heat them gently, as long as you don't go over the recommended temperature (around 40°C, I think, but check, as I'm not sure).

Good luck!

The recipe looks alright to me, although as stated, it wouldn't be considered raw. If I would change anything... I would lose the cabbage, switch green peppers with red and roast them (if you don't mind ). I would add more tomatoes as they'll naturally keep it sweet, and maybe add a little garlic for flavouring. You basically end up with a roasted red pepper and tomato soup which I wouldn't mind living off of for a few days. I'd take some crackers aswell just so it feels like you've eaten something more substantial Ofcourse crackers aren't raw either...

Michaelene

Hmm. I like the idea of slow warming instead of cooking. That idea might work! Also, I'm still investigating other recipes. I've all ready set a date, January 15th.

hey--

i agree about the "how does it taste" question... for me, i think it might taste better to not blend it in the end, just heat up portions of it and then add the raw greens to the hot portion right before you eat it. this would be more enjoyable for me than drinking all that blended up.

also, if you can, just from a health perspective, i would try to ditch the onion soup mix and the veg boullion, and also to use fresh tomatoes rather than canned ones if possible/affordable. i use things like grated garlic, soy sauce, herbs, and nutritional yeast in the pot with the veg and water to make a broth, then add a big spoonful of miso to my bowl when i go to eat it. the prepared packaged soup mixes and boullion can have some not-so-great ingredients in them. if you make it yourself, at least you know whats in it. miso is really great for this.

^ +1

Definitely avoid blending tepid/cold soups if you can - they can take on a kind of "baby food" feel to them, that isn't always that great...!

I also second the others' views about ready-made bouillion powders etc. - tamari is great (better than regular soy sauce, IMO), as is lemon juice, garlic, fresh ginger and other fresh herbs (parsley, chives, coriander etc.)

And MISO!!!

Soup can still be Raw if it's 'hot'... of the top of my head I think its about 87ºC before things actually 'cook'... Some high end blenders actually claim to provide 'hot' soup straight from just their shear power spin!
    L'esprit de l'escargot

Michaelene

I wasn't so thrilled with the onion soup/bouillon idea either. Those things also have way too much salt in them. So, with all your great ideas, I just may be able to pull off a soup feast (instead of a juice feast) in the coming weeks! I'm really excited and ready to get started.

I use Marigold vegan organic boullion - I like the taste, and I don't think that has any "bad" ingredients? If you don't have time to faff about spending hours cooking and you're only trying to please your own palate there's nothing wrong with a short cut
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Quote imothepixie View Post
    Soup can still be Raw if it's 'hot'... of the top of my head I think its about 87ºC before things actually 'cook'...
    Sorry, but you're wrong - raw food should NEVER be heated above 42 C/118 F degrees.
    Any hotter and the enzymes you're working so hard to preserve are destroyed.

That looks good, I would add garlic.

Michaelene

Thanks for all the comments and support! I've been doing well so far. Didn't make my goal date though. Had a lot of issues to deal with. But, I'm definitely setting a new goal. I've adapted the recipe without the soup mix in it. Added garlic and Edward & Sons Garden Veggie Bouillon. I agree with imothepixie that raw food should NEVER be heated higher than 115F. It destroys the enzymes and kills the food. The whole purpose of eating raw is to ingest live, living food with it's lifeforce still in tact and transferable to your body.

I have a very old and underpowered blender and make great green smoothies in it...

start slow, little bit of greens and not too much water / liquid and slowly add ingredients to keep it moving.

Starting with an entire blender full of whatever is generally only ok for the most expensive of blenders.

Unregistered

Thanks for the helpful post! I would not have gotten this otherwise!